PDA

View Full Version : Inviting Homeless People Into Your Home

ClayInHisHands
Nov 30th 2009, 04:06 PM
There have been some random things I've read in the last year and then some songs about giving to the lost and needy(ie Leeland's song "Follow You" and Brandon Heath's "Give Me Your Eyes" among many others). Whenever I hear about helping those in need like that of Homeless people...I always feel guilty and think of Jesus speaking about inviting people into your home. I have a wife and three small children. Would it be safe to do something like this for a complete stranger that I see on the street somewhere. It's like a hitchiker...with all the crazy things going on in the world...what is the right choice. I think about the safety of my family and then I feel guilty and think....by not doing those things I feel as if I'm telling God that I do not trust Him for the safety of my family. Is giving money or food/clothing, etc. enough, because I feel like that's just pushing them away...because if they go to a shelter they are going to just leave that shelter and be right back on to the street. I'm confused about this. Does anyone have any suggestions on this subject? Thank you.

Firefighter
Nov 30th 2009, 05:01 PM
NO!

Your first responsibility is to your family. IT IS NOT SAFE.

Helping is not always a handout. Sit down (away from home) and get to know them. Listen to what they say. PRAY. Ask God to show you ways you can REALLY help them.

I did this type of ministry for four years and I will help you in ANY way I can.

DO NOT bring strangers into your home!!!

doubledcattle
Nov 30th 2009, 05:22 PM
DO NOT bring strangers into your home!!!

While I agree with this statement, I would also argue that is God for some reason tells you to, then I would. Just a thought.

Firefighter
Nov 30th 2009, 05:26 PM
It would have to be on a postcard signed by God and postmarked "Heaven".

I have had some homeless in my house, but only after MUCH time of getting to know them. My home is my refuge, it is the only place I have that I could get away from the utter destruction that I saw from day to day in my ministry.

Steve M
Nov 30th 2009, 05:48 PM
I'd listen to UM here. He's walked the walk, and knows the dangers.

There's something we teach rookie firefighters; if you're responding to a fire, you're going there to help a bunch of people who need help. If you respond driving too fast and get in a wreck then the people you would have helped will get less help, as other firefighters are pulled off that scene to come help you.

I think it applies here too.

Firefighter
Nov 30th 2009, 05:53 PM
There's something we teach rookie firefighters; if you're responding to a fire, you're going there to help a bunch of people who need help. If you respond driving too fast and get in a wreck then the people you would have helped will get less help, as other firefighters are pulled off that scene to come help you.

You are a firefighter too!?!?!:pp

Steve M
Nov 30th 2009, 06:00 PM
You are a firefighter too!?!?!:pp
5-year volunteer, way up in the Northwest. Although we've considered changing the name to 'the car wreck department who sometimes go to fires too'. But it was longer....

Firefighter
Nov 30th 2009, 06:03 PM
Check out the roll call in Fellowship...

[End Derail]

IsItLove?
Nov 30th 2009, 06:35 PM
I have an old friend who did just that.
Homeless man who was attending his church.
As a thank you he molested his daughter.

Yet at the same time my home growing up was full of people in need
At one point there where three homeless families living in our house.
All the people where well known to our family.

Be wise!

goykodesh
Nov 30th 2009, 06:39 PM
The title of this thread implicates a targeted group of needy persons. The person who we are to help is not necessarily a homeless person, the person we are to help is the person closest to us who is in need. Charity may come in many forms. Just a warm smile can show enough human compassion to change someone's mind who may be on the brink of suicide.

Remember to give the best of what you have to the next needy person you meet. Go hungry one day so another can feast if necessary, and always serve God in an attitude of humility.

ClayInHisHands
Nov 30th 2009, 07:26 PM
Thank you to everyone for their advice.

arcadia
Nov 30th 2009, 08:00 PM
It's dangerous to do so. It's also scriptural. Keith Green did it. I have done it with a whole lot of prayer and some fear. If you do decide to do it be very careful. Some street people can be master manipulators and thieves. Many also carry diseases.

Try a conversation. Many would like to talk to you.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77