PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Did God affirm Elihu's discourse?

ThyWordIsTruth
Mar 9th 2010, 09:17 AM
Job 42:7 After the LORD had spoken these words to Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite: "My anger burns against you and against your two friends, for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.
Job 42:8 Now therefore take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and offer up a burnt offering for yourselves. And my servant Job shall pray for you, for I will accept his prayer not to deal with you according to your folly. For you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has."
Job 42:9 So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went and did what the LORD had told them, and the LORD accepted Job's prayer.

I noted that:
1) The Lord did not rebuke Elihu for his words and his discourses. Does this mean that the words he spoke are right before God, and we can personally learn from all he said?

2) The Lord said in verse 7 that Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar did not speak rightly concerning God. From what I understand their main argument (3 of them) was that Job must have sinned somehow and must be wicked to have suffered his afflictions .

a) Is this what the Lord was primarily referring to? If not, what was the Lord's rebuke regarding them? (I note that he did not rebuke them for their harsh and wrongful judgement of Job but rather of speaking wrongly concerning God)

b) Also, why did the Lord say that Job spoke rightly regarding God? Job too in his discourses had spoken wrongly at times (from what I understand, and from Elihu's discourse and God's own rebuke of him from the whirlwind) and challenged the righteousness of God and questioned his justice seeing that wicked men go unpunished and even appear to live a good life on earth.

Thanks for the help.

Steven3
Mar 9th 2010, 09:53 AM
Hi ThyWordisTruth
As I understand what Job 42:7 says, the 3 friends (representing 3 schools?) each offer up 3 different theologies of why Job suffered, which God condemns.
But Elihu and God don't condemn Job for his theology --- Job's theology was right --- but simply for justifying himself under provocation, which he admits and repents of.

Kudo Shinichi
Mar 9th 2010, 06:04 PM
I noted that:
1) The Lord did not rebuke Elihu for his words and his discourses. Does this mean that the words he spoke are right before God, and we can personally learn from all he said?

2) The Lord said in verse 7 that Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar did not speak rightly concerning God. From what I understand their main argument (3 of them) was that Job must have sinned somehow and must be wicked to have suffered his afflictions .

a) Is this what the Lord was primarily referring to? If not, what was the Lord's rebuke regarding them? (I note that he did not rebuke them for their harsh and wrongful judgment of Job but rather of speaking wrongly concerning God)

b) Also, why did the Lord say that Job spoke rightly regarding God? Job too in his discourses had spoken wrongly at times (from what I understand, and from Elihu's discourse and God's own rebuke of him from the whirlwind) and challenged the righteousness of God and questioned his justice seeing that wicked men go unpunished and even appear to live a good life on earth.
Thanks for the help.
1. Yup, Elihu did tell what GOD would say ...GOD didn't need to rebuke him because of his wise decision when to answer and the answer he given.
2. Yup, GOD always deal with main issues that bother him the most that's the way they think that's so humanly and they didn't stop accusing Job that he did sin against GOD.
3. GOD is always patient with Job even though HE didn't need to tell Job that HE had cause Satan to test Job. The main message is GOD always love us and Exodus 34:7chaises his children. Ephesians 5:26, Psalm 127:1, Jeremiah 18:2, Hebrews 12:5-6,10, our attitude should be like Job said Job 23:10, I Peter 1:6-7.
Isaiah 64:8
And yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, and you are the potter. We all are formed by your hand.

Sirus
Mar 10th 2010, 01:03 AM
Hi ThyWordisTruth
As I understand what Job 42:7 says, the 3 friends (representing 3 schools?) each offer up 3 different theologies of why Job suffered, which God condemns.
But Elihu and God don't condemn Job for his theology --- Job's theology was right --- but simply for justifying himself under provocation, which he admits and repents of.That's also how I understand it.

ThyWordIsTruth
Mar 12th 2010, 04:35 PM
Hi, thanks everyone for the response.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77