PDA

View Full Version : Who is the "Prophet" mentioned in John 1:21?

Christ Warrior
Aug 2nd 2010, 10:08 PM
Early in the Book of John (1:19-21), John is questioned by men from Jerusalem about his identity.
They ask, "Who are you?" John answers that he is not the Christ.
They then ask if he is "Elijah". He responds with "no"
They then ask if he is the "Prophet".

Who is this Prophet they speak of? Is it Moses?

amazzin
Aug 2nd 2010, 10:13 PM
In Deut 18:, 15, 18 there is a reference to a prophet. It was understood that prophets would be associated with the coming of the Messiah

nazzer_aij
Aug 3rd 2010, 12:00 AM
Early in the Book of John (1:19-21), John is questioned by men from Jerusalem about his identity.

Hi Christ Warrior,
John the Baptist,Matt.11:11-14 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of woman there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: not withstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
v.12) And from the day of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.
v.13) For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
v.14) And if you will receive it, this is Elijah which was for to come.
Thanks.
nazzer_aij.

JohnDB
Aug 3rd 2010, 12:09 AM
Mal 4:5 “See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes.
Mal 4:6 He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children,
and the hearts of the children to their fathers;
or else I will come and strike b the land with a curse.”

Isa 40:3 A voice of one calling:
“In the desert prepare the way for the LORD
; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God.
Isa 40:4 Every valley shall be raised up,
every mountain and hill made low;
the rough ground shall become level,

But now seeing your more direct question...it is the Prophet that Moses spoke of in Deut 18:15.

That Prophet that Moses was speaking of was Jesus...Jesus gave the Law...the New Covenant.
the rugged places a plain.
Isa 40:5 And the glory of the LORD will be revealed,
and all mankind together will see it.

Butch5
Aug 3rd 2010, 04:27 PM

"That Prophet" was Jesus.

Deuteronomy 18:15-19 ( KJV )
The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.
And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken.
I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

Acts 3:20-24 ( KJV )
And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.
Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.

John 6:14 ( KJV )
Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.

As JohnDB said, Jesus was like Moses in that He brought the new law.

Christ Warrior
Aug 7th 2010, 06:12 PM
I have a better understanding now. Thanks for the answers.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77