PDA

View Full Version : Addiction: Can you relate to this??

MercyChild
Jan 11th 2011, 11:08 AM
Addictive tendencies.

When we hear the word “Addiction” we normally think of the obvious problems of drug or alcohol abuse, but addiction is often a much deeper and more intense problem. It can relate to many things such as; habits, depression, unbelief, fear sins etc.
Paul described in Romans 7 his attempts to free himself of “addictive tendencies” he saw within himself. Now read the scripture and see whether you can relate.

Romans 7:15-17
I don't realize what I'm doing. I don't do what I want to do. Instead, I do what I hate.
I don't do what I want to do, but I agree that God's standards are good.
So I am no longer the one who is doing the things I hate, but sin that lives in me is doing them.

Do you identify with this yet? Keep reading

Romans 7:18-25
I know that nothing good lives in me; that is, nothing good lives in my corrupt nature.
Although I have the desire to do what is right, I don't do it.
I don't do the good I want to do. Instead, I do the evil that I don't want to do.
Now, when I do what I don't want to do, I am no longer the one who is doing it. Sin that
lives in me is doing it.
So I've discovered this truth: Evil is present with me even when I want to do what God's
standards say is good.
I take pleasure in God's standards in my inner being.
However, I see a different standard at work throughout my body. It is at war with the
standards my mind sets and tries to take me captive to sin's standards which still exist
throughout my body.
What a miserable person I am! Who will rescue me from my dying body?
I thank God that our Lord Jesus Christ rescues me! So I am obedient to God's standards
with my mind, but I am obedient to sin's standards with my corrupt nature.

Paul described a battle that we all fight. Sin is the fundamental picture of addiction. So how do you think we can overcome addictive tendencies?

Dani H
Jan 11th 2011, 04:04 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with want.

God promised He would provide our needs. Not our wants. But we want something, we feel entitled, and we go get it, often not in a way that has anything to do with God. We push Him aside and act like He doesn't exist, or that He wants to deprive us of something. It's all ultimately rooted in unbelief and in a warped understanding of God and of ourselves.

Read James. It's all rooted in desires, and allowing them to run rampant within us instead of submitting them to God. Because James says that when desire has conceived, sin is the result, and ultimately death.

The Bible doesn't speak of "addictive tendencies". It speaks of what things are actually rooted in when it comes to people and our relationships to God and one another. Stick with Scripture, accept its truth about your condition before God, and you will overcome, whatever it is. :hug:

James 1:15
Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

baxpack7
Jan 12th 2011, 12:16 AM
I think that it goes to letting the flesh rule over the spirit and giving in (constantly) to those fleshly lusts. Addictions come when we lose sight of God and we continuously want to satisfy ourselves. Low self esteem also plays a part.

amazzin
Jan 12th 2011, 12:35 AM
Great Post. Powerful revelation!

Addictive tendencies.

When we hear the word “Addiction” we normally think of the obvious problems of drug or alcohol abuse, but addiction is often a much deeper and more intense problem. It can relate to many things such as; habits, depression, unbelief, fear sins etc.
Paul described in Romans 7 his attempts to free himself of “addictive tendencies” he saw within himself. Now read the scripture and see whether you can relate.

Romans 7:15-17
I don't realize what I'm doing. I don't do what I want to do. Instead, I do what I hate.
I don't do what I want to do, but I agree that God's standards are good.
So I am no longer the one who is doing the things I hate, but sin that lives in me is doing them.

Do you identify with this yet? Keep reading

Romans 7:18-25
I know that nothing good lives in me; that is, nothing good lives in my corrupt nature.
Although I have the desire to do what is right, I don't do it.
I don't do the good I want to do. Instead, I do the evil that I don't want to do.
Now, when I do what I don't want to do, I am no longer the one who is doing it. Sin that
lives in me is doing it.
So I've discovered this truth: Evil is present with me even when I want to do what God's
standards say is good.
I take pleasure in God's standards in my inner being.
However, I see a different standard at work throughout my body. It is at war with the
standards my mind sets and tries to take me captive to sin's standards which still exist
throughout my body.
What a miserable person I am! Who will rescue me from my dying body?
I thank God that our Lord Jesus Christ rescues me! So I am obedient to God's standards
with my mind, but I am obedient to sin's standards with my corrupt nature.

Paul described a battle that we all fight. Sin is the fundamental picture of addiction. So how do you think we can overcome addictive tendencies?

MercyChild
Jan 12th 2011, 07:17 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with want.
Read James. It's all rooted in desires, and allowing them to run rampant within us instead of submitting them to God. Because James says that when desire has conceived, sin is the result, and ultimately death.
James 1:15

[FONT=Tahoma]Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

This is exactly what I am trying to say. Did you know that the Greek word for sin means: Missing the mark!
I believe that most people, including Christians, struggle with trying to get free of addictions (which can be anythin). Here Paul helps us to find out what addiction really means, it is that all addiction is addiction to sin. When we are addicted it is because we are missing the mark and turning away from where God wants us to be heading. Most addiction is born out of a sense of desperation.
There are things we try to do in response like; reading books, seek counsel, attend therapy sessions, we engage in spiritual activities or any other thing to try to find freedom from the driving compulsion in our life. You see inspite of all the things we try to do, most still wind up being addicted. Fact is that should they succeed in overcoming addictions in one area, they often find that they are still addicted, but just in a new area.

Paul admits in this passage that he cannot rescue himself from his dying body, but thank God for the Lord Jesus Christ to rescue Him. This in my opinion is the first step of overcoming any addictive behaviour. Acknowledge that you are powerless and cannot overcome sin (missing the mark) by oneself but by the power of Jesus Christ!

Sunshine
Jan 14th 2011, 07:10 PM
I thank God and all of you for posting. and I'm blessed to have found this forum

preachinjail
Jun 2nd 2011, 01:22 AM
The lust of the flesh is a most powerful foe; however, the power of the Spirit is stronger than anything the flesh can dish out. We face three foes in our spiritual walk: the world, the flesh and the devil. God is not kidding when he tells us to overcome these foes in the power of the Spirit.
Hence, I believe that addictions (chemical addictions, whether they be drugs, alcohol, food, candy, etc...) are manifestations of our giving in to the flesh rather than fleeing to the Throne of Mercy. Non-chemical "addictions" are just habits of behaviour that are easily overcome through obedience: plain and simple.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77