PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to eat food sacrificed to idols

Scooby_Snacks
Jan 23rd 2011, 02:22 AM
What does it mean to eat food sacrificed to idols...

How does this pertain to us in the church today?
I do believe an idol can be anything put before God.
How does eating the food sacrificed to them fit in?

Please give examples if possible.
Area of scripture:
Revelations 2:18-26 (To the Church in Thyatira)

20 Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols.
21 I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling.
22 So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways.
23 I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.
24 Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets, ‘I will not impose any other burden on you, 25 except to hold on to what you have until I come.’

Butch5
Jan 23rd 2011, 08:21 PM
What does it mean to eat food sacrificed to idols...

How does this pertain to us in the church today?
I do believe an idol can be anything put before God.
How does eating the food sacrificed to them fit in?

Please give examples if possible.
Area of scripture:
Revelations 2:18-26 (To the Church in Thyatira)

20 Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols.
21 I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling.
22 So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways.
23 I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.
24 Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets, ‘I will not impose any other burden on you, 25 except to hold on to what you have until I come.’

Hi,

The passage refers to meat that was literally sacrificed to idols. The Israelites ate meat from some of their sacrifices. The pagans did likewise. It is the meat that was knowingly sacrificed to idols that was forbidden. In our culture animals are not sacrificed so this is not something that would necessarily pertain to us.

Scooby_Snacks
Jan 23rd 2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you so much Butch5 for your input!

Hi,

The passage refers to meat that was literally sacrificed to idols. The Israelites ate meat from some of their sacrifices. The pagans did likewise. It is the meat that was knowingly sacrificed to idols that was forbidden. In our culture animals are not sacrificed so this is not something that would necessarily pertain to us.

Yes, I agree we do not literally place animals on an alter to be sacrificed these days, and in that context we would have to find food that had been sacrificed to baal or asherah etc. and eat it in order to fall into this category of people in the Church of Thyatira.

I believe I will ask the mods to move this to end times chat, as I see the 7 churches described in Revelations as pertinent to today as well as in the past.

Thank you again!

Butch5
Jan 23rd 2011, 09:54 PM
Thank you so much Butch5 for your input!

Yes, I agree we do not literally place animals on an alter to be sacrificed these days, and in that context we would have to find food that had been sacrificed to baal or asherah etc. and eat it in order to fall into this category of people in the Church of Thyatira.

I believe I will ask the mods to move this to end times chat, as I see the 7 churches described in Revelations as pertinent to today as well as in the past.

Thank you again!

Hi Scooby,

I agree that things written to the 7 churches may apply today, howver, I don't think this is one of them unless we wwere actually eating meat sacrificed to animals.

Scooby_Snacks
Jan 23rd 2011, 10:05 PM
I am in prayer regarding this,

My spiritual food today is The Word of God.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and snacks.

Perhaps this is speaking of spiritual food that has been tainted/twisted or blungeoned in some way to no longer resemble what we know to be His Truth.

I did ask to have the thread moved, so that I can get this out of my system... if Gods leading was actually my own.

-SEEKING-
Jan 23rd 2011, 10:08 PM
I think Butch is right on. The scripture you mentioned deals specifically with food sacrificed to idols. I think it's that plain and simple.

Butch5
Jan 24th 2011, 02:07 AM
I am in prayer regarding this,

My spiritual food today is The Word of God.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and snacks.

Perhaps this is speaking of spiritual food that has been tainted/twisted or blungeoned in some way to no longer resemble what we know to be His Truth.

I did ask to have the thread moved, so that I can get this out of my system... if Gods leading was actually my own.

My friend, the pagans ate real meat sacrificed to idols that is what He is speaking of. This is not Spiritual meat.

Br. Barnabas
Jan 24th 2011, 12:47 PM
St Paul in his letter to the Corinthains and St John the Divine in Revelation were writing about literal food being sacrificed to idols and eating it.

Now if you want to see how the early church fathers interpreted that in a spiritual sense I would suggest looking at the Ancient Christian Commentary Series edited by Thomas Oden. I will most likely have 2 or 3 commentaries on this passage from early theologians, showing how they preached on this passage or how they interprated it for their churches.

BroRog
Jan 24th 2011, 03:44 PM
Jesus tells the church at Thyatira that he does not approve of eating food sacrificed to idols.
Paul tells the Corinthian church to eat the meat unless a weaker brother mentions it.

There is an important principle to be learned here. Assuming Jesus and Paul are both right, what is going on?

the rookie
Jan 24th 2011, 06:14 PM
To go along with what BroRog is asking, the "meat sacrificed to idols" was actual "idol-meat" that, in Romans, Paul used as a context or as a reason to talk about permissible things that are not beneficial in the name of love. To honor the principle that Paul is highlighting in Romans in our day, one could remove "idol-meat" and insert "alcohol". The principle in Romans is about giving up one's personal rights in the name of loving our brothers and sisters who stumble because of our liberty in things that are permissible but not necessarily beneficial to the community of believers as a whole.

The intensity of the situation in Revelation 2 is sort of, but sort of isn't, connected to this principle, as the prophetess is promoting the practice of eating meat sacrificed to idols, along with the practice of sexual immorality, in the name of spirituality - and the church was tolerating this teaching in their midst.

Again, the modern day parallel would be a small group / home group leader in a large church promoting sexual immorality and drinking, say, blood, (the alcohol analogy breaks down here as what Jezebel was doing was far more serious) as a means to connect to the deep things of God...and the church leadership tolerates that teaching within their spiritual culture. Within the broader culture of Thyatira, many had been delivered from idol worship and the actual, literal meat-eating that accompanied those ceremonies - and the prophetess was encouraging (seducing) them to return to the practice, possibly excusing it in the guise of connecting to Jesus better by doing so.

The modern-day application related to the end-times - the season of time on the earth before the return of Jesus - would be the coming seduction of believers into immoral and demonic practices in the name of spirituality and, possibly, even a "deeper" connection to Jesus. What actually happened then is instructive of what will probably happen again, as it relates to what the actual practices of that day were, not a "spiritual" interpretation. In other words, while we probably won't see a prophetess actually teach people to eat meat sacrificed to idols, we may see preachers teach people to engage in demonic practices with the name of Jesus attached to them. Beyond the specifics (which we can't know right now) is the principle - which I believe is an invitation for believers right now to overcome sensuality, immorality, and the things of their past that they were set free from - and to boldly confront false teaching in our spiritual communities that seduces believers (not tolerate it in the name of mercy or compassion).

Scooby_Snacks
Jan 25th 2011, 03:44 AM
The modern-day application related to the end-times - the season of time on the earth before the return of Jesus - would be the coming seduction of believers into immoral and demonic practices in the name of spirituality and, possibly, even a "deeper" connection to Jesus. What actually happened then is instructive of what will probably happen again, as it relates to what the actual practices of that day were, not a "spiritual" interpretation. In other words, while we probably won't see a prophetess actually teach people to eat meat sacrificed to idols, we may see preachers teach people to engage in demonic practices with the name of Jesus attached to them. Beyond the specifics (which we can't know right now) is the principle - which I believe is an invitation for believers right now to overcome sensuality, immorality, and the things of their past that they were set free from - and to boldly confront false teaching in our spiritual communities that seduces believers (not tolerate it in the name of mercy or compassion).

Thank you The Rookie,

This makes more sense to me.
I believe the letters to the churches can help us to understand what it is we are doing right, and what must be avoided.
Seduction and deception are alive and well.
I feel as though you have answered my question very well, and as you mentioned, the specifics may be unknown, but we can watch and pray for discernment and truth.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77