PDA

View Full Version : "WHIPPING" passages

ProjectPeter
Feb 16th 2011, 05:11 PM
I often marvel at the way folks use Scripture. One of the things that miff me the most is the "catch-all" passages that folks throw out to others. Let me give an example of what I am talking of.

In Thes. it reads "avoid the appearance of evil" therefore _______________________

I've often had that tossed around and one instance was when we took Jennifer in many years ago. Still hear it to this day from some because she still lives with us. When Jennifer moved in with us and began traveling with us folks had a problem with us taking her in. After all... she was an attractive young lady and I the older man! There were times we were alone in the house and even though you aren't doing nothing... the appearance is there that sin is taking place!

Funny thing though. All the sinners we knew thought what we did a very kind and generous thing. The only folk it "appeared" evil to was church folk who had to avoid a lot of other passages in Scripture to draw this conclusion. I used to tell them... the only one that it would "appear evil" to was someone with a perverted mind and that would shut them up... but that's a simple example of how folks trash Scripture for their own little reasons.

I can think of others too but want to see what some of y'alls experiences are in this... maybe even some that you've used as well.

Thinking of like "your body is the temple" which is a trump card that can be used for many things... from tat's to smoking etc... anything you don't like but it isn't covered explicitly in Scripture.

keck553
Feb 16th 2011, 05:17 PM
Ah, this is a fine example of a difference between the image of religion and the image of Christ.

ProjectPeter
Feb 16th 2011, 05:25 PM
Ah, this is a fine example of a difference between the image of religion and the image of Christ.Sure it is... part of what convinces me that a lot of folks really don't even know the God they say they serve. Not all mind you... don't want to broadbrush it but I think safe to say a bunch.

moonglow
Feb 16th 2011, 05:26 PM
Wow..that is just sad....:( I didn't know you went through that..I am so sorry...

keck553
Feb 16th 2011, 05:37 PM
Sure it is... part of what convinces me that a lot of folks really don't even know the God they say they serve. Not all mind you... don't want to broadbrush it but I think safe to say a bunch.

Well, I'm not one to boast too much about that. I'm quite sure God has a lot of work to do in me to get me to spit out all the bones, which can be excruciating at times. But I trust He will because He promised to.

I think you're right. There is evidence that much of the church today is conforming to the world in many ways. Yet there remains a remnant of true believers, although the winnowing fork properly belongs in the hands of Jesus. I think that's a Biblically sound statement.

ProjectPeter
Feb 16th 2011, 06:17 PM
Wow..that is just sad....:( I didn't know you went through that..I am so sorry...

Blah... just an example. I've been in and around the church long enough to not be shocked and awed by it. :)

Firefighter
Feb 16th 2011, 06:23 PM
Romans 12:2 (KJV) ~ And be not conformed to this world...

Used most frequently on a highly selective basis to disapprove of instruments, contemporary songs, styles of dress, etc.

tango
Feb 16th 2011, 06:36 PM
Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.

This seems to be a pretty handy catch-all to say that drinking alcohol is bad because some are alcholics, that smoking is bad because some find it distressing, indeed that just about anything is bad if anyone anywhere might find it offensive. But naturally whoever is wielding the verse in this manner doesn't consider the things they do that might cause offense, if it is thoroughly sought.

teddyv
Feb 16th 2011, 06:59 PM
I Corinthians 3:19-21
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness”[a]; 20 and again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.”[b] 21

During any discussions of some scientific issues, when someone gets uncomfortable this one invariably is quoted.

RollTide21
Feb 16th 2011, 07:03 PM
Sure it is... part of what convinces me that a lot of folks really don't even know the God they say they serve. Not all mind you... don't want to broadbrush it but I think safe to say a bunch.Way, way too many in the Church are clueless as to what Life in the Spirit actually means.

Vhayes
Feb 16th 2011, 10:39 PM
My favorite is, "We all have our cross to bear" - usually said about ones relatives.

It makes me NUTS. They aren't crosses - they are blessings.

Arrgghhhh.

Diggindeeper
Feb 16th 2011, 11:11 PM
Well, I get tired of hearing, "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

I get weary of it because most always, it is slapped at us because the person does not want to admit they are into gross sin and act like we are not supposed to even warn them. They usually cannot tell you where that verse is found and they definitely have not read past that verse, #1 in the chapter where it is found.

notuptome
Feb 16th 2011, 11:17 PM
God could not be a loving God and send anybody to hell for eternity. You just got to do your best and hope for fair treatment.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

andrew_no_one
Feb 17th 2011, 12:43 AM
People like to point fingers bro. I’ve gotten called out on my tattoos by many church-folk. I got them before I was saved and now they just serve as reminders of the things I’ve been forgiven (nope, I was never into dragons, I was into satan). Sometimes it doesn’t matter how much scripture I know or how I relate with people, my physical appearance “reflects an unsaved condition”. You learn to take it in stride, as I’m sure you have.

keck553
Feb 17th 2011, 12:50 AM
I Corinthians 3:19-21

During any discussions of some scientific issues, when someone gets uncomfortable this one invariably is quoted.

Yeah, if science had any sense of stablility, it would help.

keck553
Feb 17th 2011, 12:53 AM
People like to point fingers bro. I’ve gotten called out on my tattoos by many church-folk. I got them before I was saved and now they just serve as reminders of the things I’ve been forgiven (nope, I was never into dragons, I was into satan). Sometimes it doesn’t matter how much scripture I know or how I relate with people, my physical appearance “reflects an unsaved condition”. You learn to take it in stride, as I’m sure you have.

I know this worship leader who had tattoos all up and down his arms, neck and back After he came to know the LORD, he had them all surgically removed, which I'm sure was extreemly painful and expensive, and the evidence still remains. Quite a testimony to his faith though, but probably a unique expression for him only.

Slug1
Feb 17th 2011, 01:09 AM
I know this worship leader who had tattoos all up and down his arms, neck and back After he came to know the LORD, he had them all surgically removed, which I'm sure was extreemly painful and expensive, and the evidence still remains. Quite a testimony to his faith though, but probably a unique expression for him only.Interesting how the Lord will lead. Here I was led to get some tattoos and have been used to open up conversations about God, with people ridiculed by Christians... just like those that Andrew seems to have met and seems they continue to do their ridiculing and pushing people AWAY from Christ.

As for Whipping passages... ANY that are all about abiding IN Christ and the POWER of God, are whipped by many Christians who have no clue about or ACTUALLY don't believe that the Holy Spirit is actively operating in and through the Body of Christ today.

Dani H
Feb 17th 2011, 01:18 AM
"Touch not my anointed and do my prophets no harm" used in every other context except that in which it was originally used ... when God's prophets were actually being put to death and physically harmed (which is usually what the word "touch" means). Or by David when he had the chance to kill Saul ... but didn't.

Nobody is beyond correction. Sorry. No, not even you. :)

Slug1
Feb 17th 2011, 01:33 AM
"Touch not my anointed and do my prophets no harm" used in every other context except that in which it was originally used ... when God's prophets were actually being put to death and physically harmed (which is usually what the word "touch" means). Or by David when he had the chance to kill Saul ... but didn't.

Nobody is beyond correction. Sorry. No, not even you. :)I've lost count of the times that God has lifted me up by one ankle and shook me until I got the point He was making and then dropped me onto my head to drive that point home!!

amazzin
Feb 17th 2011, 02:17 AM
Here you go. My contribution

KdcHvVuJLLY&feature=player_embedded#at=96

Slina
Feb 17th 2011, 07:00 AM
"God works all things together for good to those that love God..." Bonus points if it's said to someone who's just lost one or more family members. I think I very well might have lost it if someone had quoted that verse at me right after losing one of my closer unsaved relatives. :(

And I remember reading a blog post recently by a plus-sized young lady who'd had her church quote that "your body is a temple" verse to support the supposed importance of being thin. So I agree, that verse gets used for pretty much everything.

Also, my church background is Plymouth Brethren, so "Christ is the head of the church" obviously means that churches shouldn't have a single pastor. :P

RabbiKnife
Feb 17th 2011, 03:13 PM
"Touch not, taste not, handle not." It's in the KJV of the Holy Bible, bless God, and if it was good enough for Paul, it's good enough for me.

Nothing like either bad translation (see OP) or bad interpretation to create a whipping post.

keck553
Feb 17th 2011, 04:52 PM
Interesting how the Lord will lead. Here I was led to get some tattoos and have been used to open up conversations about God, with people ridiculed by Christians... just like those that Andrew seems to have met and seems they continue to do their ridiculing and pushing people AWAY from Christ.

Well, I wouldn't make a doctrine out of this persons actions, but it is a good testimony nevertheless. He still hangs out with 'rabble,' and his scars do give him opportunity to give testimony. On the other hand, my wife's former congregation had a eldterly Jewish woman who kept her Nazi serial number tatoos. She's a pretty awesome testimony for Christ, especially to Jews.

If there is one thng I have learned in my life is not to judge by appearance, lest my invitation gets caught up in the wind and blows away.

One thing I keep close to me is the fact that Christ did not have to sin, nor even appear in the likeness of a sinner to draw sinners near to Him. I think that is pretty amazing, but that is the image Paul exhorts us to transform into. Lately I have felt led to proclaim the Gospel to people who call themselves believers. It appears that a lot of believers have put on pharisee sandels, pulled up thier tallit's and lengthened their Tzitzit, and take much pride in their 'salvation,' and never miss a moment to boast of their exalted position. Whew. The invitation is to all. We who have answered the invitation actually need to stop making excuses and come to the LORD's table in humility and service to Him. It's not about us, our possesions, our blessings, our skin or our pedigree. It's not about celeberty and drawing crowds of 20,000 +. It's about Him who is exalted at the right hand of the Father. As John, son of Zachariah said: "I must decrease so my Master can increase."

As for Whipping passages... ANY that are all about abiding IN Christ and the POWER of God, are whipped by many Christians who have no clue about or ACTUALLY don't believe that the Holy Spirit is actively operating in and through the Body of Christ today.

Through the Word, yes.

Slina
Feb 17th 2011, 05:06 PM
Ah yes, you reminded me of another one.

"Join together in following my example..." If Paul ever did anything at all all, or if we even think he ever did anything, then this verse clearly teaches that we are to do exactly the same, often down to the last detail. It's amazing how many random traditions can be supported with this verse.

moonglow
Feb 18th 2011, 06:17 PM
I had the most terrible dream last night because of the title of this thread. Instead of saying Whipping passage it said whipping boy...well there is more but clearly I am off topic. Just really bugged me is all that I saw this thread in my dream with that title..weird. Its one of those dreams that hangs on you all day long..hate that. :OFFT:

God bless

keck553
Feb 18th 2011, 07:20 PM
I had the most terrible dream last night because of the title of this thread. Instead of saying Whipping passage it said whipping boy...well there is more but clearly I am off topic. Just really bugged me is all that I saw this thread in my dream with that title..weird. Its one of those dreams that hangs on you all day long..hate that. :OFFT:

God bless

hmm....The Allman Brothers came to mind when I saw the title......

moonglow
Feb 18th 2011, 07:44 PM
hmm....The Allman Brothers came to mind when I saw the title......

Never heard of them..:hmm: The dream had nothing at all to do with the actual topic of this thread..I didn't dream of this thread or the board..it was just the title. The dream was actually about a handicapped man..:hmm: I think it was a man I saw on the news. One of those dreams that picks up things you have seen throughout the day then mixes it all up into some bizarre dream..:rolleyes:

again sorry for the derail.

RollTide21
Feb 18th 2011, 09:07 PM
Never heard of them..:hmm::o

keck553
Feb 18th 2011, 09:24 PM
:o

my reaction exactly....

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77