PDA

View Full Version : Discussion What comes first, the fruit or the root??

Ta-An
Jul 27th 2011, 08:08 AM
Not to derail another thread...I'll start this here....

When we look at: Hebrews 12:15 See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled;

When the Bible speaks of the "Root" of Bitterness..... what kind of fruit does a tree bear when the root of it is "bitter" :hmm:

Disappointment? Anger? Grudges? Malice? Failure to forgive? Discontent ? Murmuring? Stubbornness? :hmm:

Does Heb 12 refer to a brewing anger , or something that manifests as 'foul' :hmm: as it speaks of...many become defiled

IS it like one rotting apple causing the rest to become rotten as well....
Can ones attitude be contagious .... if it is rotten :hmm:

We know that where a root grows between the bricks in a building, that it causes cracks... and when there are cracks, it opens up the foundation for 'other things' to come in.
If our foundation is in Christ, but we allow roots of bitterness to break up our foundation... what is going to come in??

Can one only be bitter because of one thing in your live without it contaminating other things in your life :hmm:

-SEEKING-
Jul 27th 2011, 10:35 AM
What comes first, the fruit or the root??

I believe that it is the root that comes first. Once it is established and firm, then does it produce fruit.

nycarter31
Jul 27th 2011, 12:51 PM
The seed comes first.

VerticalReality
Jul 27th 2011, 01:05 PM
A seed (Spiritually there are two seeds: one of the woman and one of the serpent -- Genesis 3:15) is first planted into fertile soil (Heart/Mind). Once in fertile soil that seed will begin to root itself in order to bring forth fruit (Action).

Ta-An
Jul 27th 2011, 03:26 PM
The seed comes first.

Welcome to Bibleforums :)

Yes indeed so.....

A seed (Spiritually there are two seeds: one of the woman and one of the serpent -- Genesis 3:15) is first planted into fertile soil (Heart/Mind). Once in fertile soil that seed will begin to root itself in order to bring forth fruit (Action). You guys are so clever :monkeyd:

So the soil has to be ready first, and then it depends on who we allow to plant the seed there...

Slug1
Jul 27th 2011, 03:26 PM
Not to derail another thread...I'll start this here....

When we look at: Hebrews 12:15 See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled;

When the Bible speaks of the "Root" of Bitterness..... what kind of fruit does a tree bear when the root of it is "bitter" :hmm:

Disappointment? Anger? Grudges? Malice? Failure to forgive? Discontent ? Murmuring? Stubbornness? :hmm:

Does Heb 12 refer to a brewing anger , or something that manifests as 'foul' :hmm: as it speaks of...many become defiled

IS it like one rotting apple causing the rest to become rotten as well....
Can ones attitude be contagious .... if it is rotten :hmm:

We know that where a root grows between the bricks in a building, that it causes cracks... and when there are cracks, it opens up the foundation for 'other things' to come in.
If our foundation is in Christ, but we allow roots of bitterness to break up our foundation... what is going to come in??

Can one only be bitter because of one thing in your live without it contaminating other things in your life :hmm:

Hey Ta-An, the other day I also posted this scripture to my FaceBook page. A reply I received was basically asking what the scripture meant and this is gonna develop into a Bible Study I feel.

Here is my initial answer that I posted in FaceBook to this person and it will be interesting how we discover the full meaning of the scripture(s) as others participate... I hope :lol:

Initial thought because this will be leading into a Bible Study I'll do here at our church. In v14 we see that the author of Hebrews is establishing elements necessary and without them, we cannot see the Lord. It's our relationship with God, through Christ (belief in Christ) that results in salvation, not by works or anything that "we" do. It's the work that Jesus DOES in us, a result of this work He's doing... is the outward expression of Jesus in us, the peace and the holiness. Jesus shines from us because of the changes He's done in us.

Now, if something of the world takes root and grows... the work that Jesus has begun can be stopped. People do fall away and go back into the world, plenty of scriptures to support this fact. If a root and the example in this scripture is bitterness, if this is allowed to grow, we will be defiled.

We can even jump to Revelation 3 and see what happens to those who are defiled... they are wearing new garments BUT... BIG BUT, those defiled, DO NOT go with Christ. Christ is warning that only a "few" have not defiled their garments and the rest (saved Christians), HAVE defiled themselves and they don't go with Christ.

I encourage anyone reading this to please join in!

Also, I feel the bitterness example is used because bitterness leads a person to contaminate others. People who are afflicted with bitterness will spread it to others by simply talking to others about a person they don't like. They talk BAD about them or they talk bad about a whole group of people. Simple surrender and reconciliation between those hurt will SQUASH that root of bitterness before it does permanent damage. A person who is "bitter" wants all those around them to be bitter also.

Some would rather be bitter and will continue to talk bad about others and this will turn to hate and un-forgiveness.

Ta-An
Jul 27th 2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for sharing Slug :)

Bad things seems to have the potential to snow-ball :o...

And luckily it just is "snow" it will melt before the Son :yes:

Hallelujah there is healing in His Name :pp

What brought me to start looking at this was about Miriam who turned leprous after her grumbling against Moses

So there was jealousy against Moses and she spoke badly about him, and God intervened and punished her...
So Miriam firstly was 'competing' with Moses because she was his equal in that they were both Priests (is that they correct word?)
And then when Moses was elevated above Aaron and Miriam, she became jealous and then spoke out against him and then the consequence of leprosy, then Moses intervened and Miriam after suffering the consequence of her sin was forgiven and allowed back in the camp...

Slug it re-emphasize the importance of relationship with God, because in the OT scripture it says that God had a face-to-face relationship with Moses, but he spoke in visions to the prophets...

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77