PDA

View Full Version : Saved by Grace through Faith!

Lars777
Jan 18th 2006, 07:47 PM
Just curious what this means to others.........what is Grace! and how do we operate in it!

ProjectPeter
Jan 18th 2006, 08:23 PM
Just curious what this means to others.........what is Grace! and how do we operate in it!
The simple definition would be favor. The way we operate in it... Love God with all our hearts soul and mind and love our neighbors as we love ourselves. In that we will say no to ungodliness.

humbled
Jan 18th 2006, 08:45 PM
The simple definition would be favor. The way we operate in it... Love God with all our hearts soul and mind and love our neighbors as we love ourselves. In that we will say no to ungodliness.
I would point out that it is unmerited favor. God bestows upon those He chooses that grace through NO doing of the one receiving the grace.

And we operate in it by walking in the Spirit. Not by works...as if we operate in grace by doing something (loving God with all our etc...) that is evidence, not an exercise.

In fact...we don't truly operate in grace at all...it is an external influence from God. We merely receive it.

ProjectPeter
Jan 18th 2006, 09:04 PM
I would point out that it is unmerited favor. God bestows upon those He chooses that grace through NO doing of the one receiving the grace.Well folks add that word sure enough to describe God's grace and especially using passages of Romans and I've no problem with that. But the word itself doesn't include unmerited in its definition.

And we operate in it by walking in the Spirit. Not by works...as if we operate in grace by doing something (loving God with all our etc...) that is evidence, not an exercise.

In fact...we don't truly operate in grace at all...it is an external influence from God. We merely receive it.Well doesn't grace teach us to say no to ungodliness? That sounds like an operation to me.

humbled
Jan 18th 2006, 09:08 PM
Well folks add that word sure enough to describe God's grace and especially using passages of Romans and I've no problem with that. But the word itself doesn't include unmerited in its definition.Well...I just put that word in there because he quoted Ephesians and that is the type of grace being referred to ;) Not the websters type :lol:

Well doesn't grace teach us to say no to ungodliness? That sounds like an operation to me.
I wouldn't say grace teaches us to say no...sanctification is the outward 'force' if you will that teaches us to say no. I believe it is a working of God.

I believe that grace teaches us to love, praise and worship our Lord.

ProjectPeter
Jan 18th 2006, 09:15 PM
Well...I just put that word in there because he quoted Ephesians and that is the type of grace being referred to ;) Not the websters type :lol: I am aware of the passage and that wasn't a Webster's definition either... but a definition of the Greek word in that particular passage.

I wouldn't say grace teaches us to say no...sanctification is the outward 'force' if you will that teaches us to say no. I believe it is a working of God.

I believe that grace teaches us to love, praise and worship our Lord.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,
12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,
13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus;

Seems it sure enough teaches us to deny these things as well as to live a certain way eh?

humbled
Jan 18th 2006, 09:46 PM
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,
12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,
13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus;

Seems it sure enough teaches us to deny these things as well as to live a certain way eh?
Seems so. I wonder, however, how that grace teaches us? Sanctification? Experience?

what IS this grace? is it a force or a gift?

This is a great piece of information, PP! I am curious now...I've had a different understanding of grace...always as "just" a gift. Does it have a power of its own?

Makes me wonder about irresistable grace...hmmm :hmm:

Toolman
Jan 18th 2006, 09:57 PM
This is a great piece of information, PP! I am curious now...I've had a different understanding of grace...always as "just" a gift. Does it have a power of its own?

I believe, absolutely, that "grace" has power and it is a transforming power.

Luke 7:47 - Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little

Once you realize, by grace, the depths of your sin and how much you truly have been forgiven by God's grace, demonstrated and shown through Christ's death, then your heart is transformed to "love much".

Notice Paul's letters almost always contain the salutation, "Grace and Peace", as opposed to the traditional jewish salutation of "Peace" (shalom).

I believe this is because Paul was expressing that without the grace of God there could be no peace with God (or with man).

ProjectPeter
Jan 18th 2006, 09:58 PM
Seems so. I wonder, however, how that grace teaches us? Sanctification? Experience?

what IS this grace? is it a force or a gift?

Good... study it out. If you do that then you've done well! The answers to your questions are in there.

brakelite
Aug 8th 2007, 11:07 AM

Grace.
While I was yet a sinner, Jesus died for me. And now that I am reconciled to God by His death, how much more shall I joy knowing that He is constantly before the Father interceding on my behalf. If I can do all things through Him Who strengthens me; if I abide in Him and He in me and walk always with His Spirit to counsel, guide, encourage, rebuke (not to often God willing), opening the scriptures with insight and understanding, and causing all things to work together for good, then I am surely operating in, and by, the grace of God. For none of these things can I do for myself. Thankyou Jesus!

1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

Sold Out
Aug 8th 2007, 12:33 PM

I guess a better way to say it is that we serve by the same grace we were saved. If we do anything for God, it's not because of our power, but of HIS! HE gets all the credit, not us.

A classic verse that sums it all up:

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Paul didn't say he did all things through himself, but through Christ. We can do nothing apart from the grace that is given us.

A definition of grace is 'undeserved favor'. Christ died for us when we didn't deserve it.