PDA

View Full Version : olive branch

artissues
May 18th 2006, 06:22 PM
Is the olive branch God's favorite, or is it merely a symbol of Israel?

ProjectPeter
May 18th 2006, 06:23 PM
It is a symbol of those that believe in Him and continue in that belief. Those that don't are branches too... difference is, they are lopped off branches, no longer part of the vine.

artissues
May 18th 2006, 06:53 PM
It is a symbol of those that believe in Him and continue in that belief. Those that don't are branches too... difference is, they are lopped off branches, no longer part of the vine.Thanks. I like that answer. God seems to put a lot of significance on the olive branch.
With that in mind, of all the things we could put the olive brance on
why do we put the olive branch on money?

ProjectPeter
May 18th 2006, 07:27 PM
Who knows why folks do what they do... sign of the times would be the simple answer I suppose.

Teke
May 18th 2006, 07:49 PM
Is the olive branch God's favorite, or is it merely a symbol of Israel?

It is a symbol for good things. You judge for yourself.

One of which is peace.

Mic 3:5 Thus saith the LORD concerning the prophets that make my people err, that bite with their teeth, and cry, Peace; and he that putteth not into their mouths, they even prepare war against him.
Biting an olive was a sign of peace.The prophets in this verse were lying to the people.

To add a lil trivia on the olive tree.

A large olive tree provided a family with all the oil needed for food and lamps. As much as a ton of it a year. The tree gave a year round crop because both the unripe and ripe fruit are edible. So that olive leaf in the doves beak (Genesis) promised a rebirth of life to Noah and his family.

You know it is virtually impossible to destroy an olive tree merely by cutting it down. And cutting it down actually rejuvenates it.
It was a symbol of peace in ancient times, which is also why Jesus is associated with it, Him being the Prince of Peace.:)

artissues
May 18th 2006, 08:18 PM
It is a symbol for good things. You judge for yourself.

One of which is peace.

Mic 3:5 Thus saith the LORD concerning the prophets that make my people err, that bite with their teeth, and cry, Peace; and he that putteth not into their mouths, they even prepare war against him.
Biting an olive was a sign of peace.The prophets in this verse were lying to the people.

To add a lil trivia on the olive tree.

A large olive tree provided a family with all the oil needed for food and lamps. As much as a ton of it a year. The tree gave a year round crop because both the unripe and ripe fruit are edible. So that olive leaf in the doves beak (Genesis) promised a rebirth of life to Noah and his family.

You know it is virtually impossible to destroy an olive tree merely by cutting it down. And cutting it down actually rejuvenates it.
It was a symbol of peace in ancient times, which is also why Jesus is associated with it, Him being the Prince of Peace.:)That was a really good explanation. Concerning what you said about the cutting down of an olive tree and how one cannot destroy it by doing so....what is the association of the olive three with that of the palm tree?

Also, the America symbol is the bald (white) eagle which is a bird. God said that birds represent Satan. Why is a Satanic bird holding a peaceful olive branch on the dollar bill? That seems to be a mixed message that appears to be the unfolding of a lie to come. Is it?

ProjectPeter
May 18th 2006, 08:33 PM
That was a really good explanation. Concerning what you said about the cutting down of an olive tree and how one cannot destroy it by doing so....what is the association of the olive three with that of the palm tree?

Also, the America symbol is the bald (white) eagle which is a bird. God said that birds represent Satan. Why is a Satanic bird holding a peaceful olive branch on the dollar bill? That seems to be a mixed message that appears to be the unfolding of a lie to come. Is it?
Where does God say the eagle represents satan?

Teke
May 18th 2006, 08:42 PM
That was a really good explanation. Concerning what you said about the cutting down of an olive tree and how one cannot destroy it by doing so....what is the association of the olive three with that of the palm tree?

The palm tree was especially abundant in the Jordan Valley, and Jericho was known as the city of palm trees. Symbolically the trees (palm) were used to depict grace. The date palm also symbolized rejoicing: when Jesus made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem, the crowds waved palm branches to celebrate and honor Him.

Don't know what you mean by "God said that birds represent satan"??
There were clean and unclean animals, and that included birds. Since the eagle is a carnivore it was considered unclean. But it is symbolic of strength also.

Isa 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.

The eagle and olive branch likely represent strength and peace.

I have a book on it somewhere, by E Raymond Capt, "The Great Seal" The Symbols of our Heritage and our Destiny. It explains the whys of the eagle, the olive branch, the arrows and the scroll. It also explains our one dollars' symbols.

Ta-An
May 18th 2006, 08:45 PM
Olive tree- Speaks of mercy and grace.
The work of Mercy is the work of the Old Testament and Grace is the work of the New. Points to oil and the Holy Spirit. Gen 8:11 Zec. 4:3 Ps. 52:8

The Olive tree is very special to me.... New life from old wood.....
The tree dies from the inside, and the outer side gives new branches......

Some interesting info regarding Olive-trees http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=7580&highlight=olive

artissues
May 18th 2006, 09:04 PM
Where does God say the eagle represents satan?
Matthew 13:32 (http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/search/list/?search_book=Matthew&search_chapter_verse=13&varchapter_verse=13:32) Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

The Parable of the Mustard Seed
Christ is the owner of the field that the Bible refers to as "his field"
meaning it is the man's field or...our very own field. God is the seed and
the seed planter. We must plant another seed in God's field. Our
seed of faith. According to God, the mustard seed of faith can grow
as tall as a tree, so that birds of the air will come to nest in its
branches. These satanic birds come to steal the Word that falls
upon a stoney heart. The birds represent Satan.

The birds live in the tree or lodge in its branches. Those who operate
in word and faith need to understand that the birds are always waiting
to steal the seed from their mouths. We sow our words of faith in what
we say. We either speak life or death.

...God said that Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy.

ProjectPeter
May 18th 2006, 09:16 PM
Matthew 13:32 (http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/search/list/?search_book=Matthew&search_chapter_verse=13&varchapter_verse=13:32) Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

The Parable of the Mustard Seed
Christ is the owner of the field that the Bible refers to as "his field"
meaning it is the man's field or...our very own field. God is the seed and
the seed planter. We must plant another seed in God's field. Our
seed of faith. According to God, the mustard seed of faith can grow
as tall as a tree, so that birds of the air will come to nest in its
branches. These satanic birds come to steal the Word that falls
upon a stoney heart. The birds represent Satan.

The birds live in the tree or lodge in its branches. Those who operate
in word and faith need to understand that the birds are always waiting
to steal the seed from their mouths. We sow our words of faith in what
we say. We either speak life or death.

...God said that Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy.
Still missing that whole eagle thing though... I don't see that in any of those text?

artissues
May 18th 2006, 09:31 PM
Don't know what you mean by "God said that birds represent satan"??
There were clean and unclean animals, and that included birds. Since the eagle is a carnivore it was considered unclean. But it is symbolic of strength also.

Isa 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.

I have a book on it somewhere, by E Raymond Capt, "The Great Seal" The Symbols of our Heritage and our Destiny. It explains the whys of the eagle, the olive branch, the arrows and the scroll. It also explains our one dollars' symbols.Thanks, I hadn't even taken into account that the eagle was unclean.

Isaiah 40:31 says that God give us so much strength that we will be
able to soar on earth and elevate as high as that of an eagle. Not wings
exactly like those of an eagle. He used the eagle as an exaple of height and elevation.

The eagle and olive branch likely represent strength and peaceThe olive branch may very well represent peace and strength.
It's just that I doubt it very much if an unclean bird represents anything
more than what God said it represents and that is...Satan, a thief, lies,
and murders.

I realize that you have a source of reference with that being
E Raymond Capt, "The Great Seal" It's just that I have to believe
what God says over and above what he says. I also have a problem
with the "seal" being referred to as...great. It's just something strange
about that.

A bird (Satan) curling an olive branch around his feet on the
dollar bill is a negative for me.

Do you realize that Satan has been trying to reverse God's punishment
against him for all these years? Instead of the seed of the woman bruising
his head, he has been taking his foot and continously attempting to
bruise the head of woman's seed. Are you aware of that?

artissues
May 18th 2006, 09:35 PM
Still missing that whole eagle thing though... I don't see that in any of those text?an eagle is a bird created by God...not man. This may very well be the
reason that he Middle East tends to refer to the United States as the big Satan.
I'm not sure, but that could be one of the reasons.

Teke
May 18th 2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks, I hadn't even taken into account that the eagle was unclean.

Isaiah 40:31 says that God give us so much strength that we will be
able to soar on earth and elevate as high as that of an eagle. Not wings
exactly like those of an eagle. He used the eagle as an exaple of height and elevation.
The olive branch may very well represent peace and strength.
It's just that I doubt it very much if an unclean bird represents anything
more than what God said it represents and that is...Satan, a thief, lies,
and murders.

I realize that you have a source of reference with that being
E Raymond Capt, "The Great Seal" It's just that I have to believe
what God says over and above what he says. I also have a problem
with the "seal" being referred to as...great. It's just something strange
about that.

A bird (Satan) curling an olive branch around his feet on the
dollar bill is a negative for me.

Do you realize that Satan has been trying to reverse God's punishment
against him for all these years? Instead of the seed of the woman bruising
his head, he has been taking his foot and continously attempting to
bruise the head of woman's seed. Are you aware of that?

Sounds like you been listening to those secular conspiracy theories out there. Satan cannot hurt the woman, she is protected by God. The devil is bound while the gospel goes forth. ie. bound from stopping the gospel.

As for the book I posted about, you can also get that info from any encyclopedia.

ProjectPeter
May 18th 2006, 09:50 PM
an eagle is a bird created by God...not man. This may very well be the
reason that he Middle East tends to refer to the United States as the big Satan.
I'm not sure, but that could be one of the reasons.
Um... okay. Does that apply to all birds then? Do all birds represent satan?

artissues
May 18th 2006, 10:14 PM
Sounds like you been listening to those secular conspiracy theories out there. Satan cannot hurt the woman, she is protected by God. The devil is bound while the gospel goes forth. ie. bound from stopping the gospel.No Sir, no secular conspiracy theries, just
the Word of God.

If Satan cannot hurt the woman, and if the devil is bound, why did God waste His time telling the Church to put on their whole armour of God so that they might be able to stand against th wiles of the devill? Was God joking? Did He not know that Satan was bound as you say?

Ephesians 6:11 (http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/search/list/?search_book=Ephesians&search_chapter_verse=6&varchapter_verse=6:11) Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Jesus has warned us that he will come to nest and if faith is not built up, one may succomb to his lies. Why did Jesus tell us that if Satan is bound?
Was Jesus just joking? Did Jesus not know he was bound?

As for the book I posted about, you can also get that info from any encyclopedia.Thank you. I believe I have viewed some of
that information before, but thanks.

artissues
May 18th 2006, 10:25 PM
Um... okay. Does that apply to all birds then? Do all birds represent satan?We know that with God...first in the natural
then the spiritual. As he works from left to right...not right to left.

Only because God did not specify a type of bird I would think He is
referring to all birds. Some birds are full of the flue virus. Are you familiar
with the sound a bird makes? Well, that is what a liar sounds like when
speaking against the Word of God. Nonetheless the bird Satan, is after
one's faith. Many of these are people of the seed of the wicked one.

...in the natural, then the spiritual.

ProjectPeter
May 18th 2006, 10:37 PM
Never heard a liar chirp but I guess I'll take your word for that! ;)

Teke
May 18th 2006, 11:05 PM
No Sir, no secular conspiracy theries, just
the Word of God.

If Satan cannot hurt the woman, and if the devil is bound, why did God waste His time telling the Church to put on their whole armour of God so that they might be able to stand against th wiles of the devill? Was God joking? Did He not know that Satan was bound as you say?

Ephesians 6:11 (http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/search/list/?search_book=Ephesians&search_chapter_verse=6&varchapter_verse=6:11) Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Jesus has warned us that he will come to nest and if faith is not built up, one may succomb to his lies. Why did Jesus tell us that if Satan is bound?
Was Jesus just joking? Did Jesus not know he was bound?
Thank you. I believe I have viewed some of
that information before, but thanks.

Again, the gospel is what the devil is bound from. It has went out into the whole world and the devil cannot stop it.

That does not mean that people will not be decieved. The armor is for each of us to protect ourselves from the great deception, falling away (apostasy) that occurs.

I still don't see how you get the devil out of that parable of the mustard tree, its a comparison to the kingdom of God. Maybe you could explain a bit so I'll better understand your view.

I'd view it more like the wheat and tares parable. The devil had deception involved in that one, planting the tares with the wheat.

artissues
May 18th 2006, 11:36 PM
Never heard a liar chirp but I guess I'll take your word for that!;)that's funny...

artissues
May 19th 2006, 12:20 AM
Again, the gospel is what the devil is bound from. It has went out into the whole world and the devil cannot stop it.

That does not mean that people will not be decieved. The armor is for each of us to protect ourselves from the great deception, falling away (apostasy) that occurs. I understand what you are saying. I don't think the devil has ever tried to stop the gospel. He has merely tried to turn it into a lie as he did with Eve.

I still don't see how you get the devil out of that parable of the mustard tree, its a comparison to the kingdom of God. Maybe you could explain a bit so I'll better understand your view.

I'd view it more like the wheat and tares parable. The devil had deception involved in that one, planting the tares with the wheat.
Ephesians 2:2 (http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/search/list/?search_book=Ephesians&search_chapter_verse=2&varchapter_verse=2:2) Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Ok, well...if you look up the words, "Of the air" in a Bible concordance,
every reference except Ephesians 2:2 would read, "The birds of the air"

The Greek word for air used is also translated as "breath" If Satan is the
prince and power of the air, then he has to wait for us to speak in order
to have ammunition. Another reason we must learn to talk by faith and
say what God says.

SIG
May 19th 2006, 12:24 AM
Some random thoughts:

The symbology of birds is not consistent throughout Scripture. Sometimes they represent evil (Satan as prince of the power of the air?), others not. The eagle is a positive symbol. The four faces around the throne--man, ox, lion, eagle. These also represent the four Gospels--the eagle being the Gospel of John...the spiritual genealogy of Christ.

The eagle soars high--therefore has a God's-eye view...

As for the olive vine (mentioned in an early post)--nope. Olive tree, grape vine.

As for symbols on money--good luck with that one. Once you get into symbols that are used in worldly things, you can go round and round. Masonic stuff comes to mind. Etc...

ProjectPeter
May 19th 2006, 02:32 AM
Some random thoughts:

The symbology of birds is not consistent throughout Scripture. Sometimes they represent evil (Satan as prince of the power of the air?), others not. The eagle is a positive symbol. The four faces around the throne--man, ox, lion, eagle. These also represent the four Gospels--the eagle being the Gospel of John...the spiritual genealogy of Christ.

As for the olive vine (mentioned in an early post)--nope. Olive tree, grape vine.

As for symbols on money--good luck with that one. Once you get into symbols that are used in worldly things, you can go round and round. Masonic stuff comes to mind. Etc...
Pretty much my same line of thinking Sig.

artissues
May 19th 2006, 10:45 AM

As for symbols on money--good luck with that one. Once you get into symbols that are used in worldly things, you can go round and round. Masonic stuff comes to mind. Etc...Well, God says one thing and man says another. When we line up our thinking with Gods we will be better off.

While you seem to categorize the eagle as that of an eagle...it is still a bird. A bird that you say is positive, I believe anything that God calls an abomination is not something that is positive.

Leviticus 11:13 (http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/search/list/?search_book=Leviticus&search_chapter_verse=11&varchapter_verse=11:13) And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,

...never fails, foxes have holes and birds have nests, but God has no where to lay his head where there is agreement and one accord with
what He says.

SIG
May 19th 2006, 05:42 PM
Uh-oh; we're trading verses....

Act 10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,

Act 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

Act 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

Act 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Act 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

Act 10:15 And the voice [spake] unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, [that] call not thou common.

Act 10:16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

Teke
May 19th 2006, 05:55 PM
I understand what you are saying. I don't think the devil has ever tried to stop the gospel. He has merely tried to turn it into a lie as he did with Eve.

Ephesians 2:2 (http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible/search/list/?search_book=Ephesians&search_chapter_verse=2&varchapter_verse=2:2) Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Ok, well...if you look up the words, "Of the air" in a Bible concordance,
every reference except Ephesians 2:2 would read, "The birds of the air"

The Greek word for air used is also translated as "breath" If Satan is the
prince and power of the air, then he has to wait for us to speak in order
to have ammunition. Another reason we must learn to talk by faith and
say what God says.

I don't see this. Would you care to show this with the words and Strongs numbers. Even the word "air" in the Ephesians verse is different than the one used in the verses on birds.

Ta-An
May 19th 2006, 05:59 PM
SIG.... you know this scripture has nothing to do with dietry laws..... ;) it was in preparation for his visit to the gentiles....:idea:

SIG
May 20th 2006, 09:12 PM
It was both....

Ta-An
May 20th 2006, 09:41 PM
It was both....

Yes, indeed it does mean both my friend :)

Ta-An
May 28th 2006, 03:40 PM
A nice picture of the Olive tree where you can see the ancient old stem with the new banches growing out of it

Ta-An
Dec 2nd 2007, 05:17 PM
Is the olive branch God's favorite, or is it merely a symbol of Israel?Judg 9:8 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=7&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=8) The trees went forth on a time to anoint a king over them; and they said unto the olive tree, Reign thou over us.

Bot it goes much deeper than this ;')