PDA

View Full Version : Matthew 7:21

StrongVibe
May 9th 2007, 12:45 PM
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."
What exactly is the will of the Father that Jesus talks about?

Kahtar
May 9th 2007, 01:19 PM
James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength, and love your neighbor just as you love yourself.
The entire Word of God is summed up by those two things. How to accomplish all the nitty gritty details of those two is what the rest of the book is about.

TEITZY
May 9th 2007, 02:04 PM
The verse in James that Kahtar quoted is particularly relevant to Matt 7:21. It's not what we say or know that is important, but rather what we do. We can say we are a Christian and we can know the Bible inside out, but if we don't obey it and follow Christ our profession and knowledge is useless, they cannot save us. Of course the works themselves do not save us but they do show the reality or genuineness of our faith. Sadly today, the visible church has plenty of 'sayers', but not many 'doers'.

There are many aspects to the will of God but first and foremost it is God's will for us to be saved (1 Tim 2:3-4). It's clear from verse 23 that these false teachers were never saved since they never at any time had a personal relationship with Christ.

A second aspect of God's will is His desire for believers to be sanctified (1 Thes 4:3). The "fruits" of these false teachers were rotten (Matt 7:18-20) and even today we see that the lives of these apostates are often characterized by greed and sexual immorality (2 Tim 3:2-4; 2 Pet 2:12-16).

Cheers
Leigh

Teke
May 9th 2007, 02:11 PM

Jesus/God talks to teach.

Psa 143:10 Teach me to do thy will; for thou [art] my God: thy spirit [is] good; lead me into the land of uprightness.

And He said the first thing to do is,

Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Frances
May 9th 2007, 05:08 PM

Jesus answers that question Himself a few verses further on - Matt.7:24 - 27. (house on the rock v. the house on sand) It is not only hearing what Jesus says but doing them.