PDA

View Full Version : Weight lifters ENTER! pls :P

A820djd
Sep 4th 2007, 04:15 PM
Well tonight I am going to do a chest workout and I was wondering how much can you bench? I haven't benched in months... I have no one to spot me at the gym and I don't want to throw up 200 lbs so it comes tumbling back down onto my chest lol. I can dumbell press 80 lbs per arm maxed, (roughly) so I am assuming I can bench around 210 on bench max since dumbbell presses are harder.

andrewanderson
Sep 4th 2007, 07:04 PM
When I was lifting consistantlly my max bench never went over 295.

A820djd
Sep 4th 2007, 11:50 PM
When I was lifting consistantlly my max bench never went over 295.

I hope I can lift that when I weigh 190. :P I'm only 140 atm.

amazzin
Sep 4th 2007, 11:54 PM
Well tonight I am going to do a chest workout and I was wondering how much can you bench? I haven't benched in months... I have no one to spot me at the gym and I don't want to throw up 200 lbs so it comes tumbling back down onto my chest lol. I can dumbell press 80 lbs per arm maxed, (roughly) so I am assuming I can bench around 210 on bench max since dumbbell presses are harder.

I consistantly do 3 x 8 reps on a downward scale. I start at 360, then 315 and 270 to end.

a sojourner
Sep 5th 2007, 12:30 AM
Ok, I think we need to put how much we can bench AND how much we weigh, for some perspective.

The last time I lifted consistantly I was in high school. I weighed 135 and benched 200 by the end of the semester. I have no idea what I could bench now.

IamRyan
Sep 5th 2007, 01:20 AM
Well I feel young in lifting because I really just started not too long ago. I worked out somewhat over the summer but now I got the best junior/senior gym teacher in the school and im working hard, so right now my max is like 125/130. I weigh about 125 so I'm ok for now, but I'm hoping to eventually get my max up to 180ish and my weight idk, 140ish?

StrongVibe
Sep 5th 2007, 03:32 AM
I weigh 138lbs and I can bench 125 for 6 reps of 3 sets.

andrewanderson
Sep 5th 2007, 05:14 AM
Lets make it the age adn body weight you where when you completed wahtever your stated max bench is.

I know I could not put up 295 now. Since I got my new position and my wife became pregnant I have not been to the gym in the past six months :).

So:

Body Weight: 170
Max Bench: 295

JIML
Sep 6th 2007, 02:28 AM
I think my max was: 185 x 3, when i was 18 and weighted about 175. The problem for me is that i can workout consistently for a semester and feel good about it, but my grades usually start to slip so the next semester i put down the lifting and start studying hard. However i still made a lot of progress. Weighted 140 when getting my driver's lience when Junior year of highschool, by the end of the sophmore year of College i was 180.

Toolman
Sep 6th 2007, 02:01 PM
I haven't benched in months... I have no one to spot me at the gym and I don't want to throw up 200 lbs so it comes tumbling back down onto my chest lol. I can dumbell press 80 lbs per arm maxed, (roughly) so I am assuming I can bench around 210 on bench max since dumbbell presses are harder.

Why can't you ask someone there to give you a spot? I do it all the time, most guys are glad to help give a spot.

Well tonight I am going to do a chest workout and I was wondering how much can you bench?

At my very strongest I can get 315 for reps, if I am training bench press for a couple of months. Usually ride in the 225-275 range for reps of 7-4.

I'm 43 and weight usually runs between 190 and 205 depending on whether bulking or trimming.

I usually prefer dumbbell incline presses and weighted dips to flat bench barbell press though.

andrewanderson
Sep 6th 2007, 02:37 PM

Brother, I bet if you find spotter and work on flat bench for a week or two you will find your max bench is over 250 lbs.

When I was doing 80 lbs EA on dumbbell bench I was benching:

225 lbs x 10
235 lbs x 8
245 lbs x 6
255lbs x to failure (normally 3-5)

A820djd
Sep 6th 2007, 04:12 PM
Brother, I bet if you find spotter and work on flat bench for a week or two you will find your max bench is over 250 lbs.

When I was doing 80 lbs EA on dumbbell bench I was benching:

225 lbs x 10
235 lbs x 8
245 lbs x 6
255lbs x to failure (normally 3-5)

Did you weigh 140 lbs? lol

Toolman
Sep 6th 2007, 04:21 PM

I believe Joe Ceklovsky currently holds the world record with a bench of 520 lbs. at a body weight of 147.5 lbs.

Just for inspiration :)

Make sure you don't do this though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJCDcAKShA&mode=related&search=

A820djd
Sep 6th 2007, 04:25 PM
I believe Joe Ceklovsky currently holds the world record at 148lbs. with a bench of 520 lbs. at a body weight of 147.5 lbs.

Just for inspiration :)

Make sure you don't do this though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJCDcAKShA&mode=related&search=

I can hold quite a bit up above me, but if it drops to fast I need to get that bounce to get it back up haha.

andrewanderson
Sep 6th 2007, 04:29 PM

Nope 200 lbs. Strength is not dependant on weight. If two people can lift 80 lbs EA for dumbbell press and one weights 225 and the other weights 150 it doesn't really matter. It takes the same amount of muscle to lift that weight.

Toolman
Sep 6th 2007, 04:38 PM
I think my max was: 185 x 3, when i was 18 and weighted about 175. The problem for me is that i can workout consistently for a semester and feel good about it, but my grades usually start to slip so the next semester i put down the lifting and start studying hard. However i still made a lot of progress. Weighted 140 when getting my driver's lience when Junior year of highschool, by the end of the sophmore year of College i was 180.

If you have the proper nutrional plan you can workout as little as 2 hours per week and make some good gains.

Doesn't really take that much time if you are consistent each week and intense when you do work out.

andrewanderson
Sep 6th 2007, 04:42 PM
....if you are consistent each week and intense when you do work out.

+1..................

JIML
Sep 9th 2007, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, just something funny i noticed, why do people always compare their bench instead of their squat or deadlift. When someone asks you how much you can lift, why does he/she mean your bench and not your other major lifts?

Toolman
Sep 9th 2007, 10:13 PM
Hey guys, just something funny i noticed, why do people always compare their bench instead of their squat or deadlift. When someone asks you how much you can lift, why does he/she mean your bench and not your other major lifts?

Two reasons I believe.

1) Chest is a "beach muscle". It's out there for all to see and almost all guys want nice pecs. Back and legs are easier to hide.

2) Squats and Deads are much harder exercises to learn and perform than bench. Everyone who lifts benches but not everyone who lifts does squats or deads... though they should.

andrewanderson
Sep 10th 2007, 03:16 AM
Toolman, this is a pretty accurate assessmennt of most people. http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

JIML
Sep 22nd 2007, 05:19 AM
Just figured this thread needs a bumb because its going off the radar.

I'm a little more serious about lifting this semester, i'm actually counting calories everyday to make sure i eat around 4000kcals which is a lot for me,on my last meal i sometimes have to forcefeed myself haha. But its going good.

My workout is looks like this:
Workout A:
Squat 3x5
Military Press 3x5
Bent-over row 3x5
Chin-ups 2x 8-12
Workout B:
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Bench 3x5
Dips 2x 8-12

What do you think Toolman, i'll probably be adding some more excercises down the road but i think this is solid foundation. Like i said i'm not new to lifting, its just i have difficult time staying consistent, mostly for health reasons.

andrewanderson
Sep 22nd 2007, 09:05 AM
JIML,

You need to add more exercises. http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

That is a good base but you are missing ALOT of muscles.

JIML
Sep 22nd 2007, 05:54 PM
JIML,

You need to add more exercises. http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

That is a good base but you are missing ALOT of muscles.

For example???

Oh, i forgot, i also do abs on workout B.

Toolman
Sep 23rd 2007, 10:06 PM

Workout A:
Squat 3x5
Military Press 3x5
Bent-over row 3x5
Chin-ups 2x 8-12

Workout B:
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Bench 3x5
Dips 2x 8-12

What do you think Toolman, i'll probably be adding some more excercises down the road but i think this is solid foundation. Like i said i'm not new to lifting, its just i have difficult time staying consistent, mostly for health reasons.

I'm going to disagree with my good friend andrewanderson here (who's opinion I very much respect).

I think given your very limited time that this is a good routine. Since your time is limited you need to do big compound lifts, which you have in this routine. Bench, squats, deadlifts and dips. I would do 3 sets of deads, dips & chins instead of 1-2.

How long is each session taking you to complete? Do you do each 1 once a week for a total of 2 times in the gym per week?

But other than that, if you eat correctly (sounds like you aware there) and work these exercises very insensely (read HEAVY), then you will make gains.

When you have more time then you can add more specific isolation exercises.

Doesn't take alot of exercises to grow. It takes alot of consistency and alot of intensity. Look at powerlifters. They basically use squats, deads and bench exclusively and they are big and strong with a VERY good foundation of muscle.

When you have more time and can add more stuff post up on this thread and we'll see what we can add.

Good start! Stay consistent and intense and you will reap the rewards.

StrongVibe
Sep 24th 2007, 03:00 AM
Just figured this thread needs a bumb because its going off the radar.

I'm a little more serious about lifting this semester, i'm actually counting calories everyday to make sure i eat around 4000kcals which is a lot for me,on my last meal i sometimes have to forcefeed myself haha. But its going good.

Workout A:
Squat 3x5
Military Press 3x5
Bent-over row 3x5
Chin-ups 2x 8-12
Workout B:
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Bench 3x5
Dips 2x 8-12

are you doing rippetoes (starting strength) by any chance? that setup looks very familiar. do you workout 3 days a week, while alternating the workouts each week?

JIML
Sep 24th 2007, 05:30 AM
are you doing rippetoes (starting strength) by any chance? that setup looks very familiar. do you workout 3 days a week, while alternating the workouts each week?

Yup, that's the one. I alctually put together a program which was very similar to rippetoes, so i figured why not just use that one.

To Toolman: Basically i workout 3 days a week, alternating A and B, you probably know how its done. Yeah i was thinking of uppping the sets on my deadlifts, this routine usually takes me about 30 minutes, i rest 90 seconds between sets so i keep it intense. But i gotta tell you, when you actually eat a ton, the recovery and the amount of energy is freaking amazing!

Toolman
Sep 24th 2007, 01:52 PM
To Toolman: Basically i workout 3 days a week, alternating A and B, you probably know how its done. Yeah i was thinking of uppping the sets on my deadlifts, this routine usually takes me about 30 minutes, i rest 90 seconds between sets so i keep it intense. But i gotta tell you, when you actually eat a ton, the recovery and the amount of energy is freaking amazing!

JIML,

I have a suggestion. Why don't you start an exercise thread that is all your own like a couple of us did. Here is my thread as an example if you haven't seen it:

Exercise and Diet -- Toolman (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=33184)

In the first post put all your stats that you currently have. Height, weight, age, bodyfat % (if you know it), measurements, your routine, diet, etc.

Then each time you work out you can record your lifts and keep track as you progressively add weight. We can also chime in with advice as we see needed.

What do you think?

andrewanderson
Sep 24th 2007, 02:19 PM
JIML,

I have a suggestion. Why don't you start an exercise thread that is all your own like a couple of us did. Here is my thread as an example if you haven't seen it:

In the first post put all your stats that you currently have. Height, weight, age, bodyfat % (if you know it), measurements, your routine, diet, etc.

Then each time you work out you can record your lifts and keep track as you progressively add weight. We can also chime in with advice as we see needed.

What do you think?

I checked out your thread. That is alot of posting!!! http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

StrongVibe
Sep 24th 2007, 03:23 PM
JIML or Toolman, are either of you members of the bodybuilding forum?

Toolman
Sep 24th 2007, 04:09 PM

I'm not but I'm on the site quite often reading various articles, threads, etc.

StrongVibe
Sep 24th 2007, 05:30 PM
I know what you mean...its a great site

andrewanderson
Sep 24th 2007, 05:57 PM
Toolman,

Are you married?
Do you have kids?
How many house a week do you put in at work?
How do you find the time to make it to the gym?

andrewanderson
Sep 24th 2007, 05:59 PM
Here is a picture of me a year ago. Back when I was deployed, had time to work out, and was in shape.

http://www.andersoncollectibles.com/images/andrew/Kuwait/Andrew(Small).jpg

Toolman
Sep 24th 2007, 06:15 PM
Toolman,

Are you married?
Do you have kids?
How many house a week do you put in at work?
How do you find the time to make it to the gym?

Married 18 years to my dream girl :)

4 rowdy boys, ages 16, 13, 11 and 9!

I work between 40-45 hours in a normal week (sometimes more in a crazy week and sometimes less if a really slow week... software development is what I do).

I make time for the gym. Its as simple as that. I refuse to not find the time. I have absolutely no desire to be old and out of shape. Can't stop age but you can certainly help the quality of your life by staying fit.

My wife and I have a schedule that includes our time for going to the gym. We both pitch in and it can be done.

Now, depending on the time of year I will modify my program depending on how often I can get to the gym. When my boys are in soccer season (our dominant sport) then I can't get in to the gym as often so I modify. When less busy with sports on their side then I increase my days. I usually will plan the whole year out, for the most part, in my head.

For instance, right now, because the kids are so busy right now (soccer, homework, drama classes, etc.) I am only going to the gym 3 times a week. I do a full body workout (read here (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1356259&postcount=108)) that I absolutely love. This is a maintenance routine for me but I do progressively overload over time.

I am planning on doing a bulking routine Jan. - April of next year (Lord willing and no injuries). This will consist of lots of compound, heavy lifts (squats, bench, deads, etc.) and lots of food! I'm hoping to get in 4 days a week during this routine and maybe gain 10 lbs. of muscle.

Then after that I will go into a cutting phase. Lower the calories, increase the cardio and shed some of the blubber :)
Nothing over the top but just a nice, athletic look.

I'm completely drug free and have never done even a single cycle of juice. Not knocking anyone who has, I'm just stating where I have been and how I got here.

I've been weightlifting for over 20 years and absolutely love it. I love the results, the challenge, the never-ending quest for knowledge, the long and short term goal setting, on and on I could go.

I don't have the greatest genetics (average probably) but I have been able to make some real quality gains, have a good amount of strength and maintain my health. If I can give back so some others can benefit I'm all for it.

How about you. Where are you at in the iron game?

Toolman
Sep 24th 2007, 06:16 PM
Here is a picture of me a year ago. Back when I was deployed, had time to work out, and was in shape.

Looks excellent. We have very similiar builds.

What weight were you at there?

andrewanderson
Sep 24th 2007, 07:15 PM
Looks excellent. We have very similiar builds.

What weight were you at there?

I was between 200 and 205. Depends if I had a lazy week and only ran once or twice.

I am around 185 now. Alot less muscle and a little more waist http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

Otter77
Sep 24th 2007, 08:28 PM
I saw the thread title "weight lifters" and of course had to chime in...

30-years-old, 6'3", 250lbs... been lazy the last couple years since having kids (much like you guys) with great intentions of "getting back into it"..... but I was playing around with my 24-year-old friend a few weeks ago and did manage a respectable bench-press 1RM of 280. Not great... but at least not horrible. :)

He fancies himself a football player... about 5'8" and 220lbs and only 24... but also with kids... but couldn't surpass 200lbs. So - god bless him - I helped him lift another 30lbs and told him that I wasn't doing much lifting at all. ;)

JIML
Sep 24th 2007, 11:10 PM

I'm a member, but i usually spend time in the MISC section, the articles there are good but i never take advice from other users, most of the time they don't know what they are talking about.

Also, a really good site is t-nation.com, they also have plenty of stuff on there, check it out.

JIML
Sep 24th 2007, 11:13 PM
JIML,

What do you think?

Hmm, that's actually a pretty good idea, i'll do that sometime this week.

JIML
Sep 24th 2007, 11:17 PM
Married 18 years to my dream girl :)

4 rowdy boys, ages 16, 13, 11 and 9!

I work between 40-45 hours in a normal week (sometimes more in a crazy week and sometimes less if a really slow week... software development is what I do).

I make time for the gym. Its as simple as that. I refuse to not find the time. I have absolutely no desire to be old and out of shape. Can't stop age but you can certainly help the quality of your life by staying fit.

My wife and I have a schedule that includes our time for going to the gym. We both pitch in and it can be done.

Now, depending on the time of year I will modify my program depending on how often I can get to the gym. When my boys are in soccer season (our dominant sport) then I can't get in to the gym as often so I modify. When less busy with sports on their side then I increase my days. I usually will plan the whole year out, for the most part, in my head.

For instance, right now, because the kids are so busy right now (soccer, homework, drama classes, etc.) I am only going to the gym 3 times a week. I do a full body workout (read here (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1356259&postcount=108)) that I absolutely love. This is a maintenance routine for me but I do progressively overload over time.

I am planning on doing a bulking routine Jan. - April of next year (Lord willing and no injuries). This will consist of lots of compound, heavy lifts (squats, bench, deads, etc.) and lots of food! I'm hoping to get in 4 days a week during this routine and maybe gain 10 lbs. of muscle.

Then after that I will go into a cutting phase. Lower the calories, increase the cardio and shed some of the blubber :)
Nothing over the top but just a nice, athletic look.

I'm completely drug free and have never done even a single cycle of juice. Not knocking anyone who has, I'm just stating where I have been and how I got here.

I've been weightlifting for over 20 years and absolutely love it. I love the results, the challenge, the never-ending quest for knowledge, the long and short term goal setting, on and on I could go.

I don't have the greatest genetics (average probably) but I have been able to make some real quality gains, have a good amount of strength and maintain my health. If I can give back so some others can benefit I'm all for it.

How about you. Where are you at in the iron game?

"The problem with dating your dream girls is that they have a tendency to become real" - Yuri Orlov

Hope i can marry my dream girl one day!

StrongVibe
Sep 25th 2007, 12:50 AM
I'm a member, but i usually spend time in the MISC section, the articles there are good but i never take advice from other users, most of the time they don't know what they are talking about.

Also, a really good site is t-nation.com, they also have plenty of stuff on there, check it out.
T-nation is a great site (better than bb in my opinion). I'm going to be starting rippetoes next week. Can't wait! I just got to get down the form for each exercise b/c I've never done them (other than bench)

JIML
Oct 1st 2007, 02:01 AM
So... who watched Mr. Olympia yesterday??? It was like the first time i watched it because they boardcasted it for free over the net for the first time. I was rooting for Cutler and i'm glad he won.

andrewanderson
Oct 1st 2007, 02:09 PM
I am not even sure if it was aired here in Germany.

Otter77
Oct 1st 2007, 02:23 PM
I watched the Denver Broncos lose....

andrewanderson
Oct 1st 2007, 03:19 PM
I need to start workign out again.

I have dumbbells at work and home and I use them infrequentlly.

I know I won't make it to the gym but I have to start doign pushups and curls at least. I am such a bum!!!

Otter77
Oct 1st 2007, 03:49 PM
heh... you're not alone on this either brother Andrew... I was in much better shape a couple years ago. Now I workout infrequently at best and always swear to myself that I'll get back into the swing of it.

Kids made a huge difference in my available time for exercises as did a new commitment to my Church.... given the choice over priorities again, I would still do it the same way as I'm doing it now.

----

That aside - I absolutely love my Bowflex! When I lost my job 3 years ago (company went out of business) and likewise my company gym membership... I was pretty bummed.... but the bowflex in my basement works extremely well... it's almost as good as going to the gym ever was.

Toolman
Oct 1st 2007, 04:06 PM
Guys,

C'mon... in the time it takes to watch 1 football game pe week you can get in 2-3 incredible workouts. With 2 hours per week you can get great results.

You can find 2 hours per week if you really try, don't ya think?

Its got to be a priority in your life is what it comes down to.

Otter77
Oct 1st 2007, 04:17 PM
To be completely honest....

2 hours a week is probably about what I'm giving it right now! That equates to 2-3days/week of some type of real committed exercise for more than 30-45 minutes.

To me - that's infrequent.

Toolman
Oct 1st 2007, 06:51 PM
To be completely honest....

2 hours a week is probably about what I'm giving it right now! That equates to 2-3days/week of some type of real committed exercise for more than 30-45 minutes.

To me - that's infrequent.

It's a lot less infrequent than not going at all :P

And there are all types of ways of working out that do not require high volume lifting. HIT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_intensity_training) is just one example.

I am currently doing a full body workout (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1356259&postcount=108) that is absolutely killer. 3 times a week for about 1 hour each time. With the proper diet you can either maintain, bulk or cut on that type of routine.

With the correct type of lifting (intense!) and the correct diet you can have a very good routine with just 2-3 hours per week with good results.

andrewanderson
Oct 1st 2007, 09:27 PM
I spend 55-70 hours a week at work. I spend the rest of the time with my wife. I have no hobbies that are wasting my time. In fact, in the past three weeks I have either been at work, or with my family. There has not been a single time I have spent doing anything else.

I don't have any hobbies that do not involve my family. I can't work less. I am a Soldier and there is more work then I can keep up with. I have 90 employees that depend on me so if I work less to spend more time with my family or so I have time to workout they suffer. If it where a civilian job I would nto really worry about it as much.

So, like I said, I have to fit in my workout during work or at home.

andrewanderson
Oct 1st 2007, 09:28 PM
BTW,

until abotu 8 months ago I worked out 1.5-2 hours a day 5 days a weeks for 7 years. My current position just does not allow that.

Toolman
Oct 1st 2007, 10:08 PM
BTW,

until abotu 8 months ago I worked out 1.5-2 hours a day 5 days a weeks for 7 years. My current position just does not allow that.

That's understandable considering the current level of commitment you have in the military. That's alot of hours required for sure.

When I was going thru school (and working full time) there was about a 9 month period when I could only get in 1 quick workout a week. Sometimes life demands are such that we can't get a full workout in. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Perhaps a fifteen minute a day program of some body weight exercises (pushups, dips, chins, squats, etc.).

JIML
Oct 1st 2007, 11:36 PM
Wow you guys, i didn't realize how lucky i am to have so much time to workout compared to some of you. I guess we don't value things until they are taken away from us hahaha.

Otter77
Oct 2nd 2007, 12:39 AM
I spend 55-70 hours a week at work. I spend the rest of the time with my wife. I have no hobbies that are wasting my time. In fact, in the past three weeks I have either been at work, or with my family. There has not been a single time I have spent doing anything else.

I don't have any hobbies that do not involve my family. I can't work less. I am a Soldier and there is more work then I can keep up with. I have 90 employees that depend on me so if I work less to spend more time with my family or so I have time to workout they suffer. If it where a civilian job I would nto really worry about it as much.

So, like I said, I have to fit in my workout during work or at home.

I think I can identify with that...

I work about 45-55hrs/week not counting emergencies during off hours

I consult weeknights and weekends when asked or needed for extra $ which accounts for 10-20hrs/week

I volunteer at or for my church 20-25hrs/week

Then I have two young boys - one of which is autistic and requires extra time and care. We are also in the process of trying to qualify to be foster parents of which we are nearly complete.

So... add in that time to sleep, eat, and drive from place to place, and maybe workout at 4am when I can drag my a** out of bed at that time... and you end up with over 24hrs/day! ;)

So I am certainly not competing with you... I'm just saying... I can identify with that.

andrewanderson
Oct 2nd 2007, 07:14 AM
- one of which is autistic and requires extra time and care.

I know this is off topic but, I just wanted to say that you are blessed to have been given such a great responsibility. God obviouslly has alot of faith in your abilities and patience. My nephew has mild autism and I had attention deficit. I know there are varying severities of each and I do not know the severity of your sons autism but I know it takes alot of patience and understanding. I was a pain in the butt as a kid. http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Otter77
Oct 2nd 2007, 01:57 PM
I know this is off topic but, I just wanted to say that you are blessed to have been given such a great responsibility. God obviouslly has alot of faith in your abilities and patience. My nephew has mild autism and I had attention deficit. I know there are varying severities of each and I do not know the severity of your sons autism but I know it takes alot of patience and understanding. I was a pain in the butt as a kid. http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Thank you!! Few people understand what it's about so I usually don't make it a subject unless asked.

Robert is my oldest son.... his Autism is pretty mild. We went in to some specialists when he was 2-years-old for a speech and sensory evaluation because he was a little behind and had some odd behaviors and came out with an autism diagnosis.... it was a pretty big shock at the time. This was definitely one of the ways that God chose to move in my heart at the time.... there was a great deal of disappointment, anger, and sadness.... and then I learned to embrace that Robert is simply Robert and he's an unbelievably sweet and special boy... and he's my boy... and I needn't mourn the potential that I thought he may have had before even knowing what he may be (how arrogant!!).

The good news is that we live in a good City/County with effective child services and we have decent medical insurance and with much of our effort and help he has received some incredible therapies and special classroom instruction. He's 4 now and he's in his second year of a special experimental pre-school setting that is working incredibly well. He's basically exhibiting almost age-normal emotional and developmental growth at this point which is a miracle in itself.

I credit a lot of his success to this special preschool and a lot of his early success to a new therapy method called "RDI" (Relationship Development Intervention) which was probably the hardest thing I've ever done with a child before or since... but it worked VERY well. I would suggest any parents of any autistic children to consider RDI as part of an integrated therapy program.

------

SO I guess what I'm saying is that God took this unlikely soul (me) and equipped me and my incredible wife with the strength we needed to work with this.

and he is my special Robert, and I love him incredibly.

Our second son - Tyler - is 100% different in personality.... it's amazing that the two even came from us really. He's much more like me... onry, ostentatious, defiant, and has no fear of just about anything or concern of pain.... whereas Robert is neverendingly sweet, caring, and lovely.... just like my wife.

Incidentally - I wasn't ADD but I was definitely a huge pain in the a** -- particular as a teenager. So I'm looking forward now to the challenge of raising Tyler as a teenager only doing it 100% differently than my own father did it (abusively).

God Bless you brother Andrew!

-Otter

IamRyan
Oct 5th 2007, 12:02 PM
Well we tested our stats in gym last week and i got my max to be 135, but now I should be able to get 140-145, no matter what at the next tests. Ans my 75% body weight reps is 13, but I should be able to raise that.

andrewanderson
Oct 5th 2007, 12:17 PM
I started this week working out well. And then my wife went into labor and my workouts went out the window.

Otter77
Oct 5th 2007, 01:16 PM
I started this week working out well. And then my wife went into labor and my workouts went out the window.

Welcome to fatherhood!!

Toolman
Oct 5th 2007, 01:35 PM

Having those babies does seem to throw everything out of whack don't it :lol:

Congratulations! How are mom and baby? Give us the stats (boy/girl, weight, etc.).

Wade
Oct 13th 2007, 01:05 AM
Guess I'll chime in here too. If I didn't go to the gym regularly I'd probably be 400lbs. I'm 34, 5'9 and weigh around 205. So I'm not what you would call slim, but I'm not too big either. I usually press 295-305 with no spotter. My max has been 335, for flat bench. I can incline 275-285 for 1 or 2 reps. I usually use the "pause-push" routine. That means I bring the weight to my chest (touching), stop and then press. This stops all momentum, and is a true test of what weight you can lift honestly.

I spent 12 yrs in the Navy and that's where I got the nack to weight train. Now I do it to keep from getting too overweight. I remember when I first started, 135 was a workout and I could only dream of the day when I could press the 60lb dumbbells more then once. :rofl: Now I curl them. Funny how things work out some times.:lol:

andrewanderson
Oct 13th 2007, 08:12 AM
Wade,

Sounds like you are in pretty good shape. I hope to be back in shape in the next year or so.

Do you like living in the Tri Cities? I grew up about 70 miles south of there in Lexington. Oregon.

Wade
Oct 13th 2007, 03:18 PM
I haven't lived here very long, since about May. It's ok.... for now. I lived in Oak Harbor Wa (Whidbey Island) for 8 years before coming here. This is a big difference. I'm not a big desert fan. This is a pit stop for school and then I think I'll sell the house and move the family to Montana. At least that's my plan and the wife's on board too. But the Good Lord's gonna have to give it His approval.

As far as shape is concerned, I'm probably more outta shape then in. I gotta work the cardio side of the house. Gotta have that balance, right now I tend to tip to one side. :lol:

andrewanderson
Oct 13th 2007, 06:31 PM
I hate doing cardio. It is so important not only for your health (Heart, blood preassure etc.) but it also helps keep you lean so you can actually see the muscles you are building.

andrewanderson
Dec 8th 2007, 12:36 AM
So I still haven't been to the gym. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

I am in the worse shape I have been in in 12 years. It's sad because I year ago I was in the best shape I had been in in years.

What a differance a year makes. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

andrewanderson
Dec 8th 2007, 12:40 AM
Me a little over a year ago.

I have one with the shirt off but I don't want to intimidate you all. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

JIML
Dec 8th 2007, 03:09 AM
I hate doing cardio. It is so important not only for your health (Heart, blood preassure etc.) but it also helps keep you lean so you can actually see the muscles you are building.

Hey Andrew, do you consider swimming to be cardio? Because i know that its really healthy and all but is it cardio, can you lose fat while swimming?

RedBird777
Dec 10th 2007, 12:18 AM
Two reasons I believe.

1) Chest is a "beach muscle". It's out there for all to see and almost all guys want nice pecs. Back and legs are easier to hide.

2) Squats and Deads are much harder exercises to learn and perform than bench. Everyone who lifts benches but not everyone who lifts does squats or deads... though they should.

i try to work out 3 times a weak and I go to karate as mush as possible (iin which will have many push-ups and ab exercises), and I still have yet to bench press. I've been working out for years now thanks to my dad. However, I have never done a bench press. It bothers me when people ask "How strong are you? You don't know? How much do you bench?" Besides, I'm more focused on power, not strength. The more power, the better the chance is that you're going to knock someone out, knock the wind out of someone, break bones, etc. But yea...that won't happen unless I'm in a rather bad situation.

But yea...I don't bench press and I'ev been working out for a WHILE.

Toolman
Dec 10th 2007, 02:48 AM
i try to work out 3 times a weak and I go to karate as mush as possible (iin which will have many push-ups and ab exercises), and I still have yet to bench press. I've been working out for years now thanks to my dad. However, I have never done a bench press. It bothers me when people ask "How strong are you? You don't know? How much do you bench?" Besides, I'm more focused on power, not strength. The more power, the better the chance is that you're going to knock someone out, knock the wind out of someone, break bones, etc. But yea...that won't happen unless I'm in a rather bad situation.

One thing I noticed when doing martial arts (black belt in TKD and a year of Krav Maga) was that martial artists were, for the most part, usually not very strong.

Body weight exercises are great but they can never, IMO, make you as strong as resistance training with weight, nor can you build as much muscle.

That was my experience anyway. My weightlifting always gave me an advantage in martial arts, when mixed with martial arts training for speed and focus.

andrewanderson
Dec 10th 2007, 07:14 AM
Hey Andrew, do you consider swimming to be cardio? Because i know that its really healthy and all but is it cardio, can you lose fat while swimming?

Swimming can be cardio. You just have to get yoru heart rate up enough. Swimming is cardio for me because I am a weak swimmer so it smokes me.

Lifting can be cardio, think or weight assisted aerobics, it's cardio, correct? :)

andrewanderson
Dec 10th 2007, 07:17 AM

What exercises do you do to work out your chest? You don't have to do bench press. Push-ups, decline, incline, pect dect, flys, etc.

RedBird777
Dec 12th 2007, 04:27 AM
What exercises do you do to work out your chest? You don't have to do bench press. Push-ups, decline, incline, pect dect, flys, etc.

All of the above.

One thing I noticed when doing martial arts (black belt in TKD and a year of Krav Maga) was that martial artists were, for the most part, usually not very strong.

Body weight exercises are great but they can never, IMO, make you as strong as resistance training with weight, nor can you build as much muscle.

That was my experience anyway. My weightlifting always gave me an advantage in martial arts, when mixed with martial arts training for speed and focus.

Dude...Tae Kwon Do is VERY different from my style. My style involves extremely powerful punches and kicks. A one hour class wipes me out more than an hour at the gym and a 2-mile run. And at my karate, we're doing push-ups a LOT. Also, was it Americanized Tae Kwon Do or REAL Tae Kwon Do? There is a huge difference.
If you know ANYTHING about Seido, Kyokushinkai, ****o-Ryu, Goju-Ryu, or Shotokan-Ryu, then speak to me. Otherwise, I recommend looking up those sorts of things before comparing and contrasting the martial art I practice and the martial art you practiced.

Also, if you DID take Americanized Tae-Kwon-Do, then I feel very sorry for you. Americanized Tae-Kwon-Do is not even a martial art. It is essentially gymnastics with kicks and punches.

Otter77
Dec 12th 2007, 04:55 AM
redbird... just an observation.

I don't know you that well but I know this situation...

I just thought you should know...

Your post - just now - well... dude... it sounded pretty bad. You probably didn't intend it that way but when I read it as if I was receiving it... it felt prideful, condescending, and arrogant.

I say this to you with brotherly love my friend... if I said something that seemed to be that way to someone else... I would hope that one of you guys would point it out to me. Lord knows I have a sharp tongue sometimes.

Thanks for understanding!

Toolman
Dec 12th 2007, 03:03 PM
Dude...Tae Kwon Do is VERY different from my style. My style involves extremely powerful punches and kicks. A one hour class wipes me out more than an hour at the gym and a 2-mile run. And at my karate, we're doing push-ups a LOT.

Yeah, I wasn't speaking so much to cardio and endurance work but to strength training.

I am extremely familiar with military training (i.e. tons of body weight exercises like pushups) and while I agree this can be a great way to train and can improve strength I have never seen a person who trains that way be able to match the pure, raw strength of a power lifter or olympic lifter or even bodybuilder.

They may be faster, better trained to fight, have much more endurance but they cannot match the strength of someone who includes weight lifting in their training, no matter what Matt Fury is selling this week.

A simple look at the UFC demonstrates that very thing. Weight lifting is included in the training regimen of every big name in the UFC (not to mention steroids, but that's another issue).

Also, was it Americanized Tae Kwon Do or REAL Tae Kwon Do? There is a huge difference.
If you know ANYTHING about Seido, Kyokushinkai, ****o-Ryu, Goju-Ryu, or Shotokan-Ryu, then speak to me. Otherwise, I recommend looking up those sorts of things before comparing and contrasting the martial art I practice and the martial art you practiced.

I know, I know. I've heard all the "my style" beats "your style" arguments ad infinum. What I have discovered in martial arts is, for the most part, there is no superior martial art only superior martial artists.

Also, if you DID take Americanized Tae-Kwon-Do, then I feel very sorry for you. Americanized Tae-Kwon-Do is not even a martial art. It is essentially gymnastics with kicks and punches.

They don't call it Take My Dough for nothing.

But let me reiterate that I also mentioned Krav Maga, which is as intense a fighting regimen as is out there and while I love the martial arts I think it is closed minded to shut oneself off from the benefits of weight training but this mindset is prevelant in the traditional martial arts world, so I've seen it dozens of times.

That has been my experience.

HisLeast
Dec 14th 2007, 06:31 PM
Hey Toolman... I'd agree with you that the bulk of martial arts clubs out there (in the west anyway) rely on bodyweight only, but that is far from "traditional" training methods.

Ancient kung fu (of the temple variety) had students hauling buckets of water and stones for temple masonry all day long to build their strength. Pankration (the modern derivative of Greek combat) sees its students lifting heavy sand filled pottery and doing sprints with other students on their backs. The better Okinawan Karate instructors have students deadlifting stones and swinging around large iron rings until their muscles are turned to fine goo.

I think the forefathers of all the great forms would completely agree that some kind of non-body-weight strength training was an essential element to being a good fighter.

IamRyan
Dec 16th 2007, 05:27 AM
Question about % body fat. At the beginning of this year I started at 4.6% then at the next measurments went to 4%(6 weeks in between) and now I am at 3.8%. I have a real fast metabolism and I eat a pretty good amount. But I have gained weight, about 6lbs, this year since I'm in a lifting class. So is this fine or not. If not, is there any way to raise it without eating junk food and not lifting. But it seems fine to me.

andrewanderson
Dec 16th 2007, 09:22 AM
That seems unhealthily low. What are you using to measure it?

Toolman
Dec 16th 2007, 06:11 PM
Who is measuring your bodyfat and how are they doing it?

What is your current diet?

What is your height, weight and age?

What is your current lifting program?

Have you had a recent physical by a physician?

A820djd
Dec 16th 2007, 11:13 PM
That seems unhealthily low. What are you using to measure it?

With that type of bodyfat I'm surprised he's still walking... Possibly he's an ectomorph though... That or he's randomly guessing... Or randomly using a dumb only BMI thing.

IamRyan
Dec 17th 2007, 11:06 PM
Haha Scott.....

Well my wieghts teacher measures it with this hand tool thing. He like clips it at 6 or 7 different spots then I enter the numbers along with me height and weight in a comp.

My diet is pretty unregular. For breakfast it is either cereal, which is usually cherios, poptarts, or sometimes toast or bagel with egss but usually not cause of time. Then lunch is either sandwich if at home or for school something out, burgers, etc... Then dinner is w/e my mom makes, and is my one balanced meal with meat, vegies, pasta, etc... And a few times a week I'll have fruit at night and I might have some snacks in between.

I'm about 5'8"-5'9". 130 lbs and 16 years.

For school we lift between 4-5 days a week and the other day we'll play combat dodgeball. Mon- mix of chest, bi's, and maybe some back and tri's. Tues- back and shoulders. Wed- back/tri's/shoulders. Thurs-almost all bi's. Fri-mostly chest with maybe a little something else.

Toolman
Dec 18th 2007, 01:32 AM
Ryan,

I would say for your age, height and weight your bodyfat is fine (not sure how accurate your coach measures but its not something to worry about).

Lots of teens have low bodyfat (and low muscle mass). Just keeping lifting, increase your appetite, eat more and keep progressively lifting heavier weights, with good form, over a long period of time and you will gain size.

You will have to change the diet when you get older and your metabolism begins to slow down to keep the fat off but that will be awhile, so just keep lifting :)

BTW - I didn't see any lower body lift days in your routine... biggest mistake that young lifters make is not working the legs. Leg workouts shock the whole body and up your testosterone, which results in muscle mass gain.
FYI.

Otter77
Dec 18th 2007, 04:00 AM
*sigh*

Oh to be 16 again and know what I know now...

IamRyan
Dec 18th 2007, 05:57 AM
Yeah, I'm going to be doing more legs but at my local YMCA since in our class we really don't do any and theres only one machine for legs anyways.

andrewanderson
Dec 18th 2007, 06:21 PM
I was around 7% when I was 18.

I agree with the others here that your coaches computations may be low. If you do alot of cardio ther eis a possibility it is that low though.

A820djd
Dec 18th 2007, 06:24 PM
I was around 7% when I was 18.

I agree with the others here that your coaches computations may be low. If you do alot of cardio ther eis a possibility it is that low though.

Keyword there "alot" lol

IamRyan
Dec 18th 2007, 10:44 PM
Well I do play hockey which is 2-3 practices a week and one or rarely two games a week. And during the spring I play lacrosse which is a lot of running. Keyword "alot" ;)

andrewanderson
Jan 1st 2008, 09:37 PM
This is a good deal. Thought some of you might be interested

Discountmags.com (http://slickdeals.net/?pno=11235&lno=1&afsrc=1) offers a few of their Magazines from $3 per subscription.

Men's Fitness (http://slickdeals.net/?pno=11235&lno=4&afsrc=1) - $3
Muscle & Fitness (http://slickdeals.net/?pno=11235&lno=5&afsrc=1) - $3
Flex (http://slickdeals.net/?pno=11235&lno=6&afsrc=1) - $4And if your wife is into fitness:

Self (http://slickdeals.net/?pno=11235&lno=2&afsrc=1) - $3
Shape (http://slickdeals.net/?pno=11235&lno=3&afsrc=1) - $3
Muscle & Fitness (http://slickdeals.net/?pno=11235&lno=5&afsrc=1) - $3

andrewanderson
Jan 28th 2008, 11:19 AM
So I have not lifted in over three months. :(

I believe my new job will allow me the time in my schedule to do so. I am not looking forward to rebuilding and the pain that is involved int he process.
I suppose that is what happens when you are out of the gym for so long.

Toolman
Jan 28th 2008, 02:46 PM
So I have not lifted in over three months. :(

I believe my new job will allow me the time in my schedule to do so. I am not looking forward to rebuilding and the pain that is involved int he process.
I suppose that is what happens when you are out of the gym for so long.

Yeah, you know you love it :lol:

Feel free to start a thread and journal your lifts. It would be great to watch your progress and see what routines you use, etc.

andrewanderson
Jan 28th 2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah, you know you love it :lol:

Feel free to start a thread and journal your lifts. It would be great to watch your progress and see what routines you use, etc.

Brother, I am sooo out of shape right now. I have lost 25 lbs in the past 16 months and but 1 inch on my waist. http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

Toolman
Jan 28th 2008, 06:39 PM
Brother, I am sooo out of shape right now. I have lost 25 lbs in the past 16 months and but 1 inch on my waist. http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

Ow... that does suck!

Good news is the muscle remembers and gaining back (if you are consistent) will be much easier than the original gain.

andrewanderson
Jul 15th 2008, 05:32 AM
I started going to the gym at lunch to lift.

While I am working at Fort Bragg I have nothing else to do and the USASOC gym is in our compound about 200 meters away and it is nice.

Now if only I can motivate myself to get up in the morning and go running. :)

Metadyjital
Jul 16th 2008, 09:12 PM
Does anyone on here supplement with Creatine or anything like that? if so what do you use?

andrewanderson
Jul 21st 2008, 11:56 PM

If 80 lbs per arm is your regular workout weight then you can likely max at much more then 210 lbs. 210 lbs could easily be your workout weight. That beign said. Don't worry about what you max bench is.

andrewanderson
Jul 22nd 2008, 12:16 AM
Does anyone on here supplement with Creatine or anything like that? if so what do you use?
I supplemented for quite a while with just straight protein.

I did use Creatine for a while. Inly a few months. I prefer to just eat healthy and work harder though. I used it to jumpstart myself after a Loooong break in working out.

andrewanderson
Oct 12th 2008, 06:13 PM
Anyone else been lifting much lately???

School started and work got busy so I have not lifted with any consistence since Mid August. http://bibleforums.org/images/aux-s/7sad.gif

Jurell
Oct 13th 2008, 06:13 PM
I've been lifting for about 4 months now. I messed up my wrist last Thursday doing Upright rows on a smith machine, though. :(

I was supplementing with Creatine (Green Mag from Controlled Labs) to help aid me in recovery, but I got sick of the "bloating" feeling. I didn't noticed any change in recovery times or performance, so I think it was useful when I started.

I'm also using an Essential Amino Acid (IntrAbolic from Athletic Edge) Intra-workout, but I'm not really seeing any difference.

I also tried several different brands of Protein Powders, but they ALL gave me "building clearing, paint pealing, nose curling" gas.

I need to start working on my endurance though... I'm considering applying to become a Police Officer, but I NEED to get my run time down first

andrewanderson
Oct 14th 2008, 01:11 AM
I've been lifting for about 4 months now. I messed up my wrist last Thursday doing Upright rows on a smith machine, though. :(

How bad?

I was supplementing with Creatine (Green Mag from Controlled Labs) to help aid me in recovery, but I got sick of the "bloating" feeling. I didn't noticed any change in recovery times or performance, so I think it was useful when I started.

Different peoples bodies react to things differently. I am sure it is still afffecting you even if you do not 'feel' the effects.

I'm also using an Essential Amino Acid (IntrAbolic from Athletic Edge) Intra-workout, but I'm not really seeing any difference.

Ammino's can be helpful. you have to take them for a while and they need to be part of a complete workout lifestyle (caloric intake control, workout, sleep, etc.)

I also tried several different brands of Protein Powders, but they ALL gave me "building clearing, paint pealing, nose curling" gas.

Slowlly increase your protien intake, focus on using less powders and getting more natural protiens (nuts, eggs, meat, etc.) and drink ALOT of water. I was drinking over 3 gallons a day when I was working out heavilly. You water intake needs to be increased slowlly also.

I need to start working on my endurance though... I'm considering applying to become a Police Officer, but I NEED to get my run time down first

Cardio respitory fitness is important for good health regardless of your profession so this should be a priority for you.

wrldstrman
Oct 14th 2008, 05:03 AM
I dont post much but Ive been training to enter a strongman contest this spring. the hardest part is trying to eat enough. I try 2 eat 3 cans of tuna, 2 turkey sandwiches, 2 to 4 pieces of chicken, can green beans, protien bar, couple protien shakes, eggs, cerael, and whatever else I can get down.

Jurell
Oct 14th 2008, 08:00 AM
How bad?It's getting better. Last Friday I could not do anything. It's still a tad sore, but I'm working machines and weights this week that don't put any pressure on it

Different peoples bodies react to things differently. I am sure it is still effecting you even if you do not 'feel' the effects. Probably is. I've been off Creatine for about 2 weeks now and have dropped 6Lbs as of yesterday. I'm willing to bet most of that was water weight though.

Amino's can be helpful. you have to take them for a while and they need to be part of a complete workout lifestyle (caloric intake control, workout, sleep, etc.)I get 8 hours of sleep a day, workout 5 days a week and have been keeping a healthy diet that hovers around the 1800 range. The Amino's were an experment, so we'll see where they take me.

Slowlly increase your protien intake, focus on using less powders and getting more natural protiens (nuts, eggs, meat, etc.) and drink ALOT of water. I was drinking over 3 gallons a day when I was working out heavilly. You water intake needs to be increased slowlly also.Ever since I graduated from boot camp 11 years ago, I've ALWAYS been a huge water drinker. I get about 2 gallons a day in. I do focus on natrual protiens, and only used the powder post workout. I did not get the bad gas till I started on the shake... though I have debated on takine Casein before bed...

Cardio/respiratory fitness is important for good health regardless of your profession so this should be a priority for you.I'm working on it... but I've never been a fan of cardio, but I'm sucking it up and getting out there

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77