cure-real
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 93

Thread: Bono: Modern Day Prophet?

  1. #1

    Bono: Modern Day Prophet?

    Bono and Bill Hybels recently sat down and discussed the role of Christians in the world.

    Can be seen here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ilSef9kJapo

  2. #2
    jeffreys Guest
    Is Bono a prophet? No more than anybody else.

    I think he has some good things to say, some of which have actually been ignored by many Christians. But to look at him as a modern day prophet is a pretty huge leap.

  3. #3
    May i ask if Bono is even a Christian. If so, how do we know?

  4. #4
    jeffreys Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mills View Post
    May i ask if Bono is even a Christian. If so, how do we know?
    Well... Bono claims to be a Christian. Is his faith legit, and is he "really" a Christian? I don't know, and I'm not going to waste time trying to make that judgment call.

    http://www.worldmag.com/articles/10892

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebr View Post
    Bono and Bill Hybels recently sat down and discussed the role of Christians in the world.

    Can be seen here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ilSef9kJapo
    I believe that Bono is probably a saved man. He doesn't always exhibit the best Christian behavior though.

    As far as a prophet? No

  6. #6
    jeffreys Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sold Out View Post
    I believe that Bono is probably a saved man. He doesn't always exhibit the best Christian behavior though.

    As far as a prophet? No
    That's a very good point. I'm not at all fond of his coarse language, and I really wish he wouldn't use such words. But that doesn't mean that, in his heart, he's not fully in love with the Lord. It means that the outward man hasn't completely been given over.


    Plus... I like his music!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    945

    excerpt from notes on Titus 3:5/Strand Study Bible

    Bono, one of the worlds most famous rock stars, and a Christian (yes, you can be a rock star and a Christian), in an interview with Michka Assayas, a French music journalist, in March of 2004 was correct when he described the difference between Karma (works of righteous) and grace. He said,

    You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you; an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics-in physical laws-every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. Its clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the universe. Im absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that as you reap, so you will sow stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because Ive done a lot of stupid stuff. (So have we all, Bono.).

    Bono went on to say,

    Id be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge. (So would we all, Bono.). Id be in deep . It doesnt excuse my mistakes, but Im holding out for Grace. Im holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I dont have to depend on my own religiosity.

    Bono continued,

    But I love the idea of the Sacrificial Lamb. The point of the death of Christ is that Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us, and that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death. Thats the point. It should keep us humbled. Its not our own good works (Karma) that get us through the gates of heaven.

    Well said! Its not what we do (works of righteous - Karma) that gets us to Heaven, but what CHRIST did for us on Calvary.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    I never paid much attention to the guy but after watching those videos I now have a lot of respect for him. How cool is it that someone with so much fame actually cares about people other than himself. Awesome!

  9. #9
    jeffreys Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rchivers View Post
    I never paid much attention to the guy but after watching those videos I now have a lot of respect for him. How cool is it that someone with so much fame actually cares about people other than himself. Awesome!
    You're right.

    One of the big problems I see with celebrities is what seems to be an ego-maniacal self-obsession. It's as though the world outside their egos simply does not exist.

    On the other hand, there are far too many Christians - and too many churches - that totally ignore the problems of poverty and other human suffering. It's almost as though we've removed ourselves so far from the world that we're ignoring it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    1,314
    Blog Entries
    10
    I am kind of torn on this one. Bono, like the prophets of today and of old, tells the truth concerning the people and concerning the truth of Christ being th Son of God. I particularly like his approach to salvation, explaining the difference betwen karma and grace. (For the record, karma is not righteous acts, but actions in general. They can be either good or evil, and most times, karma is called into play when we do evil. So, righteous acts are not part of the karma scheme).

    Is Bono a prophet? Yes, and no. He is not prophesying or anything like that. However, like a prophet, he is calling both the churches and the world to account for the poor and downtrodden.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mills View Post
    May i ask if Bono is even a Christian. If so, how do we know?

    Not to be too abrasive, but may I ask are you a Christian? I see that you say that you are, but how do any of us know if any of us are. We are known by our fruits and Bono is exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit more than anyone I see in our churches. He's dead on about a lot of things that the church has missed out on.

    BTW I have no doubt that you are a Christian.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by third hero View Post
    However, like a prophet, he is calling both the churches and the world to account for the poor and downtrodden.
    This is exactly why I ask the question? In a culture of mega churches we are more interested in our own comfort than what's biblical. Is God really blessing our huge sound systems, our multimillion dollar buildings and budgets?

    Its sad that a rock musician is having to say these things. Where's the church in the AIDS crisis? Where am I?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk Broads
    Posts
    3,168
    Blog Entries
    3
    I used to be a big fan of U2, and went to their concerts etc. Well... a lot of their lyrics are obviously anti Christian. "Though I walk in the valley of the Shadow of death, I will fear no ill... I curse thy rod and staff they no longer comfort me..."

    This is not however to say that he's not a Christian. My aunt Kitty knew Bono (his school in Dublin was round the corner from her house, and he used to come round carole singing, or collecting for the church.) One year he came around singing "Veni Creator Spiritus," and she was so sick of carole singers that she snapped at him, and told him to come back when he knew the words. He came back later, and sang the whole song to her beautifully. I think (but am not certain, she's passed since) that she knew the Edge too.

    Anyhow, I suspect that he was Christian when he was younger, strayed a very long way away from Christ at various points of his fame, and is hopefully coming back to Christ now. I remember seeing him dressed up as a demon on stage singing "Sympathy for the Devil".

    But I don't think he's a prophet of God. I am very much hoping (and hopefully all fans will keep this request in prayer) that he is saved. When folks get into the upper echolons of rock they are subject to the powers of this world, just like politicians are. We should pray for these people. Otherwise they are doomed.

    Anyway... Bono has come out with some horrifically anti Christian lyrics. But I don't know what he's written recently, or what he's said particularly. I do seriously hope that he is saved. If anyone loves him, and is in any doubt... PLEASE pray.
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

    My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk Broads
    Posts
    3,168
    Blog Entries
    3
    Oh - by the way. Jeff is a Christian missionary in Guatamala. I know he's a Christian, because he's suffered a lot for the gospel. He had been poor, he has been sick... even to death's door. He has been discouraged, and he has been attacked. Through it all, he has helped put down concrete floors and waterproof roofs for people who couldn't have afforded them otherwise, helped train local health care providers, feeds the hungry, looks after widows and orphans and tells everyone the good news of Jesus. He's a pretty fantastic bloke, and his wife and daughter are pretty grand too.

    Just so you know. I know often people say something on this kind of thread, and you think, "who are you to say that?" So as I know Jeff... I thought I'd let you know, he really is legit.
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

    My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by daughter View Post
    Oh - by the way. Jeff is a Christian missionary in Guatamala. I know he's a Christian, because he's suffered a lot for the gospel. He had been poor, he has been sick... even to death's door. He has been discouraged, and he has been attacked. Through it all, he has helped put down concrete floors and waterproof roofs for people who couldn't have afforded them otherwise, helped train local health care providers, feeds the hungry, looks after widows and orphans and tells everyone the good news of Jesus. He's a pretty fantastic bloke, and his wife and daughter are pretty grand too.

    Just so you know. I know often people say something on this kind of thread, and you think, "who are you to say that?" So as I know Jeff... I thought I'd let you know, he really is legit.

    No doubts here.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •