cure-real

Thread: John's diet was locusts and wild honey

John's diet was locusts and wild honey

I heard that the seeds of a carob tree are called locusts. Did John the Baptist eat carob or bugs?

Matthew 3:
    4 Now John himself had a garment of camel's hair and a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey.
    This saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance: "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" -- and I am the worst of them. (1 Timothy 1:15)

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
    (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

I think carob, because another name for carob is St. John's bread...but I could be wrong.

jeffreys Guest
    Interesting question.

I'm not stating a firm opinion here, but posting some links to look at. Personally, I'm not sure it matters very much.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Part...4/locusts.html
    http://antipas.net/14faq.htm
    http://www.opinionsoup.com/nineteen.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...9/04/ixop.html

A righteous man regards the life of his animal Pro. 12:10
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeToLight View Post
    I heard that the seeds of a carob tree are called locusts. Did John the Baptist eat carob or bugs?

Matthew 3:
    4 Now John himself had a garment of camel's hair and a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey.
    I'm not sure which one he ate but both are Scripturally kosher/acceptable.
    Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
    -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Blog Entries
    I vote bugs... just because that's pretty cool!

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

In a dry and thirsty land where there is no water
    He ate bugs. See Leviticus 11:22. It would not have been at all unusual for John to eat locusts and wild honey out there in the wilderness. These foods would have been readily available to him in his environment.

There is a tree called a locust tree that bears legumes that are edible (ever see 'locust bean gum' on an ingredient list?), but this isn't what the Greek word means.

NT:200

4.47 NT:200
    akrides an insect of the family Acrididae (in Europe the term "locust' is used for the large varieties of these insects and the term 'grasshopper' is used for smaller varieties, while in North America all these insects are generally called 'grasshoppers,' and the term 'locust' refers to cidadas mof the family Cicadadae) - 'grasshopper/locust.'
    'eating grasshoppers and wild honey' Mark 1:6;
    'grasshoppers came on the earth' Rev 9:3
    The four NT contexts in which akrides
    occurs refer to these insects either as being edible (Matt 3:4; Mark 1:6) or as being very destructive (Rev 9:3,7).

Some persons have assumed that the reference to grasshoppers being eaten by John the Baptist should be understood not as the insects but as carob pods, but there is neither linguistic nor cultural evidence to support such an interpretation.

In a number of parts of the world there are different kinds of grasshoppers/locusts, some of which are edible, and others which are not edible. It is therefore important in the contexts of Matt 3:4 and Mark 1:6 to select a term which designates edible insects.

(from Greek-English Lexicon Based on Semantic Domain. Copyright 1988 United Bible Societies, New York. Used by permission.)
    Love In Christ,
    Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by ComeToLight View Post

Matthew 3:
    CTL,

I vote for locusts... like Peter said, it's more cool and shows that John was a real stud! Besides, the Greek does refer to the bug:

ἀκρίς,n {ak-rece'}
    1) a locust, particularly that species which especially infests oriental countries, stripping fields and trees. Numberless swarms of them almost every spring are carried by the wind from Arabia into Palestine, and having devastated that country, migrate to regions farther north, until they perish by falling into the sea. The Orientals accustomed to feed upon locusts, either raw or roasted and seasoned with salt (or prepared in other ways), and the Israelites also were permitted to eat them.
    3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Thanks for all the replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    I vote bugs... just because that's pretty cool!
    I vote bugs too!
    This saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance: "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" -- and I am the worst of them. (1 Timothy 1:15)

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
    (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

Thread Information