cure-real

Thread: God doesn't repent...or does he?

God doesn't repent...or does he?

Doesn't
    Numbers 3:19 God is not a man that he should lie; neither the son of a man that he should repent. 1 Samuel 15:29 The Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent. Ezekiel 24:14 I the LORD have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent. Malachi 3:6 For I am the Lord, I change not. James 1:17 With whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Does

Genesis 6:6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. Exodus 32:14 And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. Deuteronomy 32:36 For the Lord shall judge his people, and repent himself for his servants. 1 Samuel 15:11 It repenteth me [God] that I have set up Saul to be king. 1 Samuel 15:35 The Lord repented that he had made Saul king over Israel. 2 Samuel 24:16 The Lord repented of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, it is enough: stay now thine hand. 1 Chronicles 21:15 The Lord beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. Isaiah 38:1-5 In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And Isaiah ... said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live. ... Thus saith the LORD ... I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will add unto thy days fifteen years. Jeremiah 15:6 I [God] am weary of repenting. Jeremaih 18:8 I [God] will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them. Jeremaih 26:3 That I [God]may repent me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them. Jeremiah 26:13 The Lord will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you. Jeremiah 26:19 The Lord repented him of the evil which he had pronounced against them. Jeremaih 42:10 For I [God] repent me of the evil that I have done unto you. Amos 7:3, 6 The Lord repented for this. Jonah 3:10 God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them.

Why does God need to repent and on top of that who does he repent to?

There was a similar thread like this a little while ago... can someone grab that? I can't find it.

One word that describes this best:

anthropomorphic
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

when it says he is not the son of a man that he should repent it means he does not need to repent of sin because he is sinless.

If you want to get technical God didn't repent that he made man....it repented him.. haha. but it was not a sin to make man so its not the same kind of repentance as spoken of above.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
    One word that describes this best:

anthropomorphic
    I was about to do just what you did:

Anthropomorphism
    What is thy only comfort in life and death?

That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.

Also, the KJV translates two different words as the word "Repent". In passages like Jeremiah 15:6, the root נחם (nâcham) is used, in regard to God taking pity and relenting from punishment.

However, when we look at the repentance from a human, a different word is used: שׁוּב (shûb), which means turn back, or return to the way you once were.

Might help
    What is thy only comfort in life and death?

That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.

Jesus never had reason to repent of personal sin, but He was certainly grieved for us--a "man of sorrows"...
    Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

When God repented that He had made man, that is more along the line of "it grieved Him" Not because He did wrong, but because we were doing wrong.
    God Has no need of repentance, but rather God is expressing His sorrow and grief and perhaps frustration with man.

Shalom,
    Tanja
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GJT View Post
    Doesn't
    Numbers 3:19 God is not a man that he should lie; neither the son of a man that he should repent. 1 Samuel 15:29 The Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent. Ezekiel 24:14 I the LORD have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent. Malachi 3:6 For I am the Lord, I change not. James 1:17 With whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Does

Genesis 6:6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. Exodus 32:14 And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. Deuteronomy 32:36 For the Lord shall judge his people, and repent himself for his servants. 1 Samuel 15:11 It repenteth me [God] that I have set up Saul to be king. 1 Samuel 15:35 The Lord repented that he had made Saul king over Israel. 2 Samuel 24:16 The Lord repented of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, it is enough: stay now thine hand. 1 Chronicles 21:15 The Lord beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. Isaiah 38:1-5 In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And Isaiah ... said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live. ... Thus saith the LORD ... I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will add unto thy days fifteen years. Jeremiah 15:6 I [God] am weary of repenting. Jeremaih 18:8 I [God] will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them. Jeremaih 26:3 That I [God]may repent me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them. Jeremiah 26:13 The Lord will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you. Jeremiah 26:19 The Lord repented him of the evil which he had pronounced against them. Jeremaih 42:10 For I [God] repent me of the evil that I have done unto you. Amos 7:3, 6 The Lord repented for this. Jonah 3:10 God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them.

Why does God need to repent and on top of that who does he repent to?

You have to understand that there is more than one word for repent. In the greek, the word metamellomai is translated repent or remorse/regret. Another word for repent is metanoeo, which means to change one's mind.

God is not repenting TO someone, He either changes His mind or is remorseful.

For people who don't know that its confusing and if they knew that there's more then one word for it why didn't they just translate it to the right meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by GJT View Post
    For people who don't know that its confusing and if they knew that there's more then one word for it why didn't they just translate it to the right meaning?
    Great question! I have asked myself that too.

This is a great lesson to learn....when we have questions like this, we should always refer back to the original language in which the text was written. God didn't choose the Hebrew & Greek languages for no reason...these languages are very expressive and are almost impossible to translate every meaning & thought 100% into English.

With the internet, we have fingertip accessability to greek & hebrew and can look up words quite easily. My pastor taught me how to use the lexicons and greek/hebrew concordances and it just opened up a whole new world of bible study to me. I suggest you start utilizing the online resources by doing word studies. One of the first word studies I did was on the word 'repent'. I found the greek words, found where each one was in the bible, and went to my bible and wrote the greek word out beside it.

Thread Information