Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christians who struggle with addictions and problems...

Re: Prayer For Addictions

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Clay View Post
    I came accross this "Prayer for Addiction" and thought I would share it here.
    Dear Heavenly Father, I stand in faith on the authority I have as a believer in Jesus Christ, and a co-heir of His kingdom. Your Word says that satan has come down with great wrath, knowing that he has only a short time. This disease is a spiritual disease that has become a curse on an entire generation. We know Lord that You are the only answer. We know Lord that the enemy comes to steal our lives, to kill and destroy our families. He is a liar and the father of lies and there is no truth in him (John 10:10, John 8:44). In the name of Jesus Christ, I bind every evil spirit and every evil plan the enemy has planned to keep me in this addiction I cancel satan's plan and call forth Your plan for my life, Lord Jesus. God's Word says that God has plans for my life right now. (Jeremiah 29:11) for me and I claim god's plan for my life right now. Father, I ask that Your will be done in this situation, as it is done in heaven. I give thanks and praise to You dear Heavenly Father and I bind and declare it unlawful and evil based on God's Word because we have His authority through Jesus Christ to execute this judgement on the forces of satan (Psalm 149:5). Our faith in Your Word release the power from heaven that binds the evil I am facing in this addiction. Heavenly Father, I ask that you will send Your forces to drive back all the forces of the enemies of Christ that are working in this stronghold of addiction. Your Word says that the adversaries of the Lord shall be broken in pieces in Your perfect timing, and will bring salvation, restoration and healing to me (Samuel 2:10). O Lord, with each new day, help me to be strong and continue to trust you. Bring into my eyes and heart an honesty that sees my true situation and finds support in your goodness and guidance. I declare release from my addiction and receive goodness and guidance. I declare release from my addiction and receive my renewed joy in living from this day forward (Psalms 21:1). Help me to recognize your hand in all things. Please help me O'Lord, to seek peace and patience as I work through the issues that bind me (Galatians 5:21). I pray also for those that have bore the hurt of watching my life depreciate. May they forgive me for the many hurts I have hurled at this addiction (Mathew 6:14). To You O'Lord, I lift up my soul. Let me not be ashamed for I put my trust in You. I ask that I may be with Your spirit today. Cleanse my mind of all darkness and fill it with love and light. Almighty God, You sent Jesus to set the captives free (Isaiah 61). I know Your power and I know Your might. I ask that You deliver me from all addictions and bondages that has kept me from being and doing my best. This sin is repulsive and I can no longer tolerate it. I know Lord that You and only You can and will deliver me from this evil. I ask You Lord to be a place of refuge during this grueling time. Send me Your help. Let me arm myself with strength and hope and help of others that will companion with me and give me sound and Godly advice. I believe in miracles and according to Your Word in Psalms 149:5, I have the authority through Jesus Christ to execute judgement on the forces of satan and release power from heaven to bind the evil that I am facing in this addiction. Heavenly Father I ask that You send Your angelic warriors to drive back the enemy of Christ that are working in this stronghold of addiction. Your Word says in 1 Samuel 2:10 that the adversares of the Lord shall be broken in pieces and You will bring salvation, restoration and healing to me. From heaven You will thunder against them and You will give strength to Your children and exalt the horn of Your anointed. In Jesus Name we pray, Amen
    Thank you so much for this prayer, my son has been struggling with drug addiction for years, he has a strong faith but just cannot seem to conquer it, he said the other day that every time he goes for another fix he feels like he is hammering another nail into Christ and yet still he cannot turn away. As parents we are often so embroiled in the battle that even praying is difficult. Thanks again for renewed encouragement.

Re: Christians who struggle with addictions and problems...

The enemy loves when we dwell on feeling guilty because this is when he enters. I have learned that God forgives as soon as we ask for forgiveness. He loves us more than we love ourselves. I struggled with smoking the first 3 years that i was attending church. In that time no one condemned me or told me that i was going to hell if i didn't quit, which was quite surprising. They did pray for me several times, but as soon as i walked out, i lit up. I wanted so much to stop, i knew that it was interfering with my spiritual growth. I smoked for 20 years almost 2 packs a day. I was so miserable and very unhealthy. Constantly in the emergency room with asthma and anxiety attacks. But one day, one beautiful evening God heard my cries and saw my honest effort. After throwing out my cigarettes countless of times and diving into the trash can to recover them lol. I sat in church as usual in my parks dept. uniform, tired from work and thinking about smoking a cigarette when this Preacher who was visiting our church that day, called me up. I stood up and walked toward him, he said "there is something binding you and keeping you from your blessing". I thought that it was just another prayer. He told me to lift my hands and told everyone to stand. He said that he would count to 3 and everyone should shout "Out"!. So he counted 1,2,3! Everyone yelled "Out"! and i fell back. He counted again and as soon as the people screamed, out! The Holy Spirit took over me and i felt as if i was there for hours, but it had been about 10 minutes. When i stood up, i felt dizzy and nauseous. I walked out of the church that night, threw out my cigarettes right outside the door and did not crave them anymore. That was 11 years ago, God is Good! Remember God just wants an honest effort and He will do the rest. God bless you.

Amen, the victory is already yours for the taking. Once you grasp it, you will reach a whole new spiritual rank. The Lord wants you to make an honest effort, that is all you need to do. Make an honest effort and He will take over when you grow weary.

Well, I just had a colossal slip in San Francisco while there for the week on business last week. Back-to-back meetings, receptions, cocktail parties and the next thing I know I'm drunk again. Drank straight through the conference. Got so hammered the night before I'd be literally drunk at my morning meetings, and then need to pop into a pub for a few pints of beer to level off for my afternoon meetings. I can't drink, ever, but I always seem to believe the lie one more time, despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary. It was a great conference for business, but personally, the liquor demons are back. I guess back to AA and start all over again for 1,000th time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndibari View Post
    Well, I just had a colossal slip in San Francisco while there for the week on business last week. Back-to-back meetings, receptions, cocktail parties and the next thing I know I'm drunk again. Drank straight through the conference. Got so hammered the night before I'd be literally drunk at my morning meetings, and then need to pop into a pub for a few pints of beer to level off for my afternoon meetings. I can't drink, ever, but I always seem to believe the lie one more time, despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary. It was a great conference for business, but personally, the liquor demons are back. I guess back to AA and start all over again for 1,000th time.
    Your liver will thank you later. A righteous man falls 7 times and gets back up again.

Maybe this time try and figure out why you drink, and what's so special about alcohol that Jesus can't provide in a better way?

Quote Originally Posted by Dani H View Post
    Your liver will thank you later. A righteous man falls 7 times and gets back up again.

Maybe this time try and figure out why you drink, and what's so special about alcohol that Jesus can't provide in a better way?
    I'm not feeling very righteous right now. I feel like that guy that just doesn't get it.

Blog Entries

I'm not feeling very righteous right now. I feel like that guy that just doesn't get it.
    Your righteousness was imparted to you as a gift by Jesus. You're carrier of HIS righteousness. Seek to live worthy of it, yes? It's NOT based on our works. It's based on HIS work for us and in us.

You will never be more righteous than you were at the day you were imparted Jesus' own righteousness. How much alcohol you drink has exactly zero to do with that.

Our endeavor to be holy and live pure is a response of a pure conscience towards God, of joy and happiness and thankfulness for His great salvation.

Get your eyes and mind off yourself and your failures and shortcomings and quit obsessing over them. You will see nothing there to help you. Look to Jesus instead. He IS your salvation.

Anyone who believes that once one becomes a true Christian all struggles will cease is deluded. As Christians we will struggle against evil all of our lives, in many cases exactly because we are Christians. Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God (Acts 14:22). Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour (1 Peter 5:8).

One of the deuterocanonical books (in the original KJV) also instructs:

My son, if you come forward to serve the Lord, prepare yourself for temptation. Set your heart right and be steadfast, and do not be hasty in time of calamity. Cleave to Him and do not depart, that you may be honored at the end of your life. Accept whatever is brought upon you, and in changes that humble you be patient. For gold is tested in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of humiliation (Sirach 2:1-5)

Quote Originally Posted by Dani H View Post
    Your righteousness was imparted to you as a gift by Jesus. You're carrier of HIS righteousness. Seek to live worthy of it, yes? It's NOT based on our works. It's based on HIS work for us and in us.

You will never be more righteous than you were at the day you were imparted Jesus' own righteousness. How much alcohol you drink has exactly zero to do with that.

Our endeavor to be holy and live pure is a response of a pure conscience towards God, of joy and happiness and thankfulness for His great salvation.

Get your eyes and mind off yourself and your failures and shortcomings and quit obsessing over them. You will see nothing there to help you. Look to Jesus instead. He IS your salvation.
    That's spot on. I've increased everything God related. For some, living a godly life comes easier than others. I just have to accept the fact that it takes more work in my case, but the alternative is bleak. I hate being an alcoholic.

Blog Entries

That's spot on. I've increased everything God related. For some, living a godly life comes easier than others. I just have to accept the fact that it takes more work in my case, but the alternative is bleak. I hate being an alcoholic.
    ndibari, maybe THIS time you'll get serious about who is your master?

I mean, is anyone MAKING you take those drinks? Or could it possibly be you don't want to appear ... different? No one can make you stop, until you really want to. THEN, you can turn it over to Christ Jesus.
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    ndibari, maybe THIS time you'll get serious about who is your master?

I mean, is anyone MAKING you take those drinks? Or could it possibly be you don't want to appear ... different? No one can make you stop, until you really want to. THEN, you can turn it over to Christ Jesus.
    No one is "making" me take those drinks. I travel often on business, and both of my partners like to drink heavily. They can handle it. I can't, and for whatever reason I choose to forget that fact about myself while out of town. The lie I tell myself is that I can drink on this trip and leave it in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, etc. and stop when I get back home. Sometimes it works out that way but most of the time it doesn't. This last time I left it in SF but what about next time? It's a perpetual roll of the dice, the outcome of which is unpredictable. I can and have lost everything.

A few years ago I had a similar experience, but a little worse. I started drinking at a company function around 4 in the afternoon and finished around midnight. When I got back to my hotel I woke a friend up and took him out until sunrise (we were in Europe, where there are lots of ways to stay up drinking all night). I don't really want to share much more in public - I can only tell you that I struggle with very serious addictions - but I can tell you that there are lots of business people like you and me who are struggling to follow Christ. Frankly, I think there is some good that can come from AA, but one thing that always troubled me is their semi-agnostic foundation and, more importantly, a complete disregard for the role demons play in our disease.

What I have come to believe is that the demons attack us three times:

1. First, they tell us that taking that drink will not be a big deal, we had a hard day, etc., and that God will forgive our weakness.

2. Then, when we have fallen they do their best to bring us to despair and despondency. They twisted our belief in God's mercy before and now they are doing everything they can to make us forget it.

3. But then, when we have recovered a little bit, they bring things to a completely new level. They exploit our desire to be good and to do good and then give us an exalted vision of ourselves once we are sober. We look down on the self that had fallen yesterday as some sort of homeless refuse that we will have no part of ever again. This, I think, is the cruelest trick of all, because exactly when we need humility and lack of trust in ourselves, we foresake it. This makes the next time we fall even more dreadful.

I don't have advice really, my brother, only some things I have come to believe, mostly through the counsel of others in my Church:

1. When you fall, get up and pray for God's help and mercy. When you fall down again, get up again and do the same.

2. Never think you can never fall again.

3. Don't worry about how well we did yesterday or how well we will do tomorrow. Concentrate on the moment. Say to the Lord, Lord, Here I am. I am struggling. I may fall tomorrow, but with your help and grace here I am at this moment. I may not have done so well yesterday, but with your help and grace here I am at this moment.

4. In terms of practical things to do, read the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) over and over again. Read one or more Psalms each day. Maybe read some other spiritually-oriented books. One I have found helpful is one by an Australian addict, Victor Mailhoff, entitled Breaking the Chains of Addiction

This may sound odd to some, but in some strange way those of us with addictions are blessed, for we are reminded time and time again of our weakness and our need for God's help. Maybe if we didn't carry the crosses we do we would be phenomenally rich and successful and give no mind to God at all. His Providence is often not understood. I once read a story about someone telling some elderly Greek monk that some other monk died and it was sad, because he succumbed continually to an addiction that he had. The monk said, "Oh, no - He is in heaven and the angels are rejoicing!" The visitor asked, "How can that be, after all that he did?" "No, No, you don't understand," said the elder. "He was a fighter, and God loved him because he never gave up struggling."

There is probably a lot more I should/could share, but this is what comes immediately to mind.

God keep you brother. Please pray for me!

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

The only thing worse that starting over at Day 1 for the 1000th time is not starting over at Day 1 for the 1000th time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    The only thing worse that starting over at Day 1 for the 1000th time is not starting over at Day 1 for the 1000th time.
    ^^^^

As long as you're struggling ... you're not defeated.

Quote Originally Posted by guero View Post
    A few years ago I had a similar experience, but a little worse. I started drinking at a company function around 4 in the afternoon and finished around midnight. When I got back to my hotel I woke a friend up and took him out until sunrise (we were in Europe, where there are lots of ways to stay up drinking all night). I don't really want to share much more in public - I can only tell you that I struggle with very serious addictions - but I can tell you that there are lots of business people like you and me who are struggling to follow Christ. Frankly, I think there is some good that can come from AA, but one thing that always troubled me is their semi-agnostic foundation and, more importantly, a complete disregard for the role demons play in our disease.

What I have come to believe is that the demons attack us three times:

1. First, they tell us that taking that drink will not be a big deal, we had a hard day, etc., and that God will forgive our weakness.

2. Then, when we have fallen they do their best to bring us to despair and despondency. They twisted our belief in God's mercy before and now they are doing everything they can to make us forget it.

3. But then, when we have recovered a little bit, they bring things to a completely new level. They exploit our desire to be good and to do good and then give us an exalted vision of ourselves once we are sober. We look down on the self that had fallen yesterday as some sort of homeless refuse that we will have no part of ever again. This, I think, is the cruelest trick of all, because exactly when we need humility and lack of trust in ourselves, we foresake it. This makes the next time we fall even more dreadful.

I don't have advice really, my brother, only some things I have come to believe, mostly through the counsel of others in my Church:

1. When you fall, get up and pray for God's help and mercy. When you fall down again, get up again and do the same.

2. Never think you can never fall again.

3. Don't worry about how well we did yesterday or how well we will do tomorrow. Concentrate on the moment. Say to the Lord, Lord, Here I am. I am struggling. I may fall tomorrow, but with your help and grace here I am at this moment. I may not have done so well yesterday, but with your help and grace here I am at this moment.

4. In terms of practical things to do, read the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) over and over again. Read one or more Psalms each day. Maybe read some other spiritually-oriented books. One I have found helpful is one by an Australian addict, Victor Mailhoff, entitled Breaking the Chains of Addiction

This may sound odd to some, but in some strange way those of us with addictions are blessed, for we are reminded time and time again of our weakness and our need for God's help. Maybe if we didn't carry the crosses we do we would be phenomenally rich and successful and give no mind to God at all. His Providence is often not understood. I once read a story about someone telling some elderly Greek monk that some other monk died and it was sad, because he succumbed continually to an addiction that he had. The monk said, "Oh, no - He is in heaven and the angels are rejoicing!" The visitor asked, "How can that be, after all that he did?" "No, No, you don't understand," said the elder. "He was a fighter, and God loved him because he never gave up struggling."

There is probably a lot more I should/could share, but this is what comes immediately to mind.

God keep you brother. Please pray for me!
    I don't much care for AA's indifferent approach to God either. It helps me to have a personified God (Jesus) versus some "Spirit of the Universe" type conception. All I know is there are many people with 10, 20, 30 + years of sobriety that live contented and useful lives who don't share our faith. If you mention Jesus in an AA meeting you can see the eyes roll so I don't when I share. I'm there to learn how to stay sober, and AA has worked for millions.

The church has adopted some of AA's approach to recovery through Celebrate Recovery. It's the Christian version of the 12 steps. The difference is they don't separate by affliction. The step studies have people that are alcoholics, drug addicts, porn addicts, gamblers, overeaters, etc. There is no commonality. One of the benefits of AA is there's a common solution to a common problem (drunks helping drunks). I go to AA for sobriety and bible studies and church for spirituality. All I know is when I focus more on church activities and less on AA meetings and service I end up drunk. I don't know why that is, but it seems I need to both to stay sober and connected to God.

Thread Information