cure-real
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christians who struggle with addictions and problems...

Blog Entries

Be Tough, Be Bold

Steve, listen up. You get that armor shined up, Buddy. Be ready when the devil tries to tempt you. Stand firm on the Word. I have these two scriptures, among others, that I stand on everyday. Phil 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." The other is 1 John 4:4, "Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world."

You have authority over satan.. Jesus died to give us this authority. We have to dig deep into our self and pull out HIS power!!!!Amen

God Bless!!! Keep the Faith!!!
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

My testimony: http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137007

Cheech, thank you so much for that post! It was exactly what I needed to hear right at this moment in my life. The tears streaming down my face make it hard to type, but I just wanted to say ty and God bless you!

This is awesome! This thread was started on November 29, 2007 and yet others are still being blessed by the posts which were given here. I am praising God who surely is glorified in this.

God's Word endures...it does not return to us void. Amen and thanks, Cheech.

wiseoldowl ... facilitator.
    "The flowers appear on the earth,
    the time of singing has come,
    and the voice of the turtledove
    is heard in our land
    ." SofS 2:12 (RSV)

Blog Entries

Banghead Not sure

I read this article and tried to understand it. I am a drug addict in recovery and had been clean for 3 weeks. This is about the longest i have been clean in a years time. I am so afraid of relapsing. I tried to understand the above, and is seeking for peace as mentioned. I am really in need of Christ

Blog Entries
    [quote=Linda Steyn;1842543]I read this article and tried to understand it. I am a drug addict in recovery and had been clean for 3 weeks. This is about the longest i have been clean in the last year. I am so afraid of relapsing. I tried to understand the above, and is seeking for peace as mentioned. I am really in need of Christ and feel like an outcast at times.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad this thread can help people. In recovery, you should remember two very important things:

1. Do not dwell on the past

2. Do not worry when your next relapse will be

When you make that claim to Christ and become saved...you are saved. Yes, there are times we may get side tracked and led off the path, but that is when you confess your sins to God, repent of them and get right back on that path. If you wish to renew your salvation vows then do it. I've said it every time I see someone get saved at church. I know I'm saved...they are just comforting words.

Do not dwell on the past of how many times you've messed up. All that will do is take you back and make you feel there is simply no hope. Well I can tell you this...we serve a God of Hope!

Romans 5:1-5
    1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Romans 8:23-25
    23Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

You must persevere towards that goal. The enemy will do everything in his power to put that block in front of you to cause doubt and fear and make you stop...but you must keep going towards that goal no matter how hard that walk is. Patient endurance!

2 Cor 1:6
    If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer.

Phil 3:12-14
    12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Let nothing stand in your way of reaching your goal and working for the Kingdom of God. Submit your burdens every single day to the Lord...place them at the foot of the cross and when the temptations hit, say "I give it to you God...I give it all to you" and keep walking. Don't stop and ponder...keep moving.

PRESS ON TOWARDS THE GOAL! DO NOT STOP! ADVANCE, ADVANCE, ADVANCE!

Live your life in such a
    way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!

Blog Entries
    It made me feel so much relief when i read this thread. Still new in Christ and struggling to find some answers. Stuck in a place where no ones even speaks english or understand my language.

I struggle from moment to moment to not do the same things as before, and the difficulty is that there is no one whom i can ask some advice from.

I have no one to really lead me into the right direction, and to learn me what Christianity is all about.

I am also ADDH, and sometimes find it hard to concentrate while reading. So it feels as if I am moving so slow.

Nice to know that even being a Christian, there is still room to make mistakes, and that God can still forgive me, if I fall and not keeping up with His standards

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Steyn View Post
    It made me feel so much relief when i read this thread. Still new in Christ and struggling to find some answers. Stuck in a place where no ones even speaks english or understand my language.

I struggle from moment to moment to not do the same things as before, and the difficulty is that there is no one whom i can ask some advice from.

I have no one to really lead me into the right direction, and to learn me what Christianity is all about.

I am also ADDH, and sometimes find it hard to concentrate while reading. So it feels as if I am moving so slow.

Nice to know that even being a Christian, there is still room to make mistakes, and that God can still forgive me, if I fall and not keeping up with His standards
    Linda - God is a God of new beginnings. As far as God is concerned, the past is not only forgotten and forgiven - it has never even happened! We often bash ourselves over something long after we have asked God for forgiveness. Silly us! Anyway, it is clear that you are desperately crying out to God. He hears you, Linda. He hears you loud and clear, and He is with you - now and always. He will never leave you or forsake you. Even when you are weak, He is your strength.

Of course you are not perfect - no human being is. We are all 'works in progress', becoming more and more like Him, but we will only stop making mistakes when we get to heaven. There is a saying (ok, it is a cliche, but a good one): 'Salvation only takes a moment, but sanctification takes a lifetime'.

If you find it difficult to concentrate while you are reading, you could try to listen to Christian sermons over the internet (if you have internet at home). Just a suggestion. Another one is to read until you get tired, take a rest and try again. I pray that God gives you understanding when you read the Bible.

May God bless you and give you strength in this difficult time.
    Psalm 121:4
    "Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep."
    (KJV)

Blog Entries
    [quote=paidforinfull;1845747]Linda - God is a God of new beginnings.

Thank you for the advice. At this time i feel like a spunge, taking in as much as possible.

God has been so good to me. I have made contact with my one halfsister, whom i hardly ever known. I only knew she was living in Londen. I had to oppertunity to meet her on facebook, and while i am in Europe we arranged to meet with each other.

Yes, the past is dreadful sometimes, and i am praying that God will help me to deal with everything that happend, and where i am suppose to ask forgiveness that He will lead me!

Thank you for all the advice and support

Elijah's Mantle Guest
    this was a awesome thread to read

resist the devil

Ye of little faith , just hand the problem your struggling over to GOD and he will still those troubled water's.

I just wanted to take a moment to share with you that I recently wrote a book called "The Bible and Recovery: Biblical Aspects of the Twelve Steps and Other Recovery Principles."

If you are a Christian interested in recovery, you may find this book of interest.

In Christ!

Eric

Edit: Link removed
    Last edited by Ninna; Dec 3rd 2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Personal services website

Re: Christians who struggle with addictions and problems...

brilliant thread !!

I talked to my first sponsee today. Not the first one I've ever talked to, but the first sponsee I had in the program. I had sponsered him when all I had done was go through the steps and have a mild spiritual awakening. I was nowhere near where I am now (and boy do I still have a long way to go). I had thoughts over the last 2 1/2 years of how I had failed him. I had walked him through the steps and tried to get him focused on his shortcomings and to get him to focus on being the person that his HP wanted him to be. I did have him call me and e mail me for a few weeks, but then it fizzled out. Had I done my best? Was it adequate even though I was a weak sponsor? Had it helped? Not that I need affirmation to feel good about myself, I was just genuinely concerned that I had given a weak effort and failed to gain the knowledge and understanding due to my own laziness. How could I live with that? Well, I contacted him last week and talked to him tonight. He has had a huge spiritual awakening. The ammends he made to his father helped (he believes) lead his father to stop drinking and they have developed a relationship. He is actually helping anther victim of lust and I think he is looking into sponsoring him. It sounds weak, but this brought tears to my eyes. I...ME...had had a positive effect on a persons life and that was going to go on to help others down the line! Of course, I believe that God just used me to do his will, but still it felt good. I still struggle. Still need grace, spiritual growth and understanding every day, but man I feel good right now. Not proud, but good. Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

Thanks I am struggling with prescription drug addiction, I was an alcoholic but God took that away. But following my self I started pills I have been an addict to something since I was 19. I am 42. I became a Christian in 2008 and was Batised.
    I love the Lord with all my heart and have never questioned him. I do pray for release. I know its so deeply en grained within me the devil easily gets in. I do so much work for the Church and Love my Lord.
    Please can someone tell me will I be rejected by God?

Thread Information