Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christians who struggle with addictions and problems...

Blog Entries

Christians who struggle with addictions and problems...

This is something I've been seeing more of in my little church and hearing much about..."A Christian shouldn't be struggling" or "I'm ashamed to go to God again with the same struggles".

Matt 11:28
    "Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest".

Sometimes we can go so long without struggling and we feel so peaceful and happy. Then an obstacle gets in our path and we begin to struggle. We stress about it and sometimes we give in. Sometimes we struggle so hard our Armor (of God) becomes worn and dull and this is usually the time the enemy begins his attack and speaks his lies:

"Some Christian you are...still struggling!" "God can't possibly use you as his servant when you can't even get your act together" "you are not good enough" "you are weak and worthless".

Yet, when we read the Bible, it tells us just the opposite!

Psalm 34:17-20
    The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
    he delivers them from all their troubles.

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
    A righteous man may have many troubles,
    but the LORD delivers him from them all; he protects all his bones,
    not one of them will be broken.

These verses prove just the opposite of what we sometimes think. The righteous man may have many troubles but the Lord delivers them from all! Many times when we struggle we don't forgive ourselves. God forgives us but we can't. When we can't forgive ourselves we then have no peace because then we just agree with the lies of the enemy about ourselves.

Some cry out for help to God but feel as though he isn't listening or they can't feel him or hear him anymore. That may be because he has told us many times what we need to do to overcome our problems but for some reason we fail to listen. He never turns away, he just waits patiently for us to finally hear him. Many even feel ashamed to go back to God after struggling over the same thing over and over. What if one of your children was struggling with something and you knew they were trying so hard to beat it but they continued to struggle and they came to you for help for the upteenth time? Would you turn away especially when you knew they were trying? No...and neither will God! How would you feel if that child came to you for help and you gave them comfort and advice but they turned away not listening nor following that advice because it wasn't fixing their situation immediately? You'd probably feel the same way as God does with us...a bit frustrated but still sad over your situation, waiting and hoping for you to listen. We know we would always be there for our children so what makes us sometimes think that God won't be there for us again? The Bible states the opposite:

Psalm 103:13-14
    The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him. For he knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust.

God knows our strengths and weaknesses and just as we go to him when we are strong, we must go to him when we are weak and tired as well:

"Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest".

The one thing we must realize is that we can't try to solve our problems alone. We, alone, are powerless, but with Christ we are strong and the enemy knows this, that is why he tries to lead us away from Christ...away from the very one who can protect us and shield us through faith:

1 Peter 1:5-7
    5 And through your faith, God is protecting you by his power until you receive this salvation, which is ready to be revealed on the last day for all to see.

6 So be truly glad.[a] There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. 7 These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.

So, you see, any burdens and struggles we may be going through is a test of faith. It doesn't mean we are bad Christians because we struggle, it means we are human and God knows our hearts. Job was a most righteous man, yet he wasn't beyond struggles and he was tested. How many more from the Bible can we come up with that struggled yet kept their faith through it all knowing that in God's time he would see them through.

When struggling, we must not withdraw and go through it alone, ashamed that we are struggling yet again. We must do just the opposite and go to God and seek help and support from others:

Psalm 62:5-8
    Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him.
    He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken. My victory and honor come from God alone. He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me. O my people, trust in him at all times. Pour out your heart to him, for God is our refuge.

"Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest".

Live your life in such a
    way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!

Cheech. I dont know how long this thread has been here, but I just read it with tears running down my face. Iam still overcoming, but in my strength because I feel too ashamed to go to the Lord. The lies of the enemy have gotten to me and I have been running from God again, and trying to do it all by myself. This post really spoke to my heart and I thank you for it.

Luvvies.

Prayer For Addictions

I came accross this "Prayer for Addiction" and thought I would share it here.
    Dear Heavenly Father, I stand in faith on the authority I have as a believer in Jesus Christ, and a co-heir of His kingdom. Your Word says that satan has come down with great wrath, knowing that he has only a short time. This disease is a spiritual disease that has become a curse on an entire generation. We know Lord that You are the only answer. We know Lord that the enemy comes to steal our lives, to kill and destroy our families. He is a liar and the father of lies and there is no truth in him (John 10:10, John 8:44). In the name of Jesus Christ, I bind every evil spirit and every evil plan the enemy has planned to keep me in this addiction I cancel satan's plan and call forth Your plan for my life, Lord Jesus. God's Word says that God has plans for my life right now. (Jeremiah 29:11) for me and I claim god's plan for my life right now. Father, I ask that Your will be done in this situation, as it is done in heaven. I give thanks and praise to You dear Heavenly Father and I bind and declare it unlawful and evil based on God's Word because we have His authority through Jesus Christ to execute this judgement on the forces of satan (Psalm 149:5). Our faith in Your Word release the power from heaven that binds the evil I am facing in this addiction. Heavenly Father, I ask that you will send Your forces to drive back all the forces of the enemies of Christ that are working in this stronghold of addiction. Your Word says that the adversaries of the Lord shall be broken in pieces in Your perfect timing, and will bring salvation, restoration and healing to me (Samuel 2:10). O Lord, with each new day, help me to be strong and continue to trust you. Bring into my eyes and heart an honesty that sees my true situation and finds support in your goodness and guidance. I declare release from my addiction and receive goodness and guidance. I declare release from my addiction and receive my renewed joy in living from this day forward (Psalms 21:1). Help me to recognize your hand in all things. Please help me O'Lord, to seek peace and patience as I work through the issues that bind me (Galatians 5:21). I pray also for those that have bore the hurt of watching my life depreciate. May they forgive me for the many hurts I have hurled at this addiction (Mathew 6:14). To You O'Lord, I lift up my soul. Let me not be ashamed for I put my trust in You. I ask that I may be with Your spirit today. Cleanse my mind of all darkness and fill it with love and light. Almighty God, You sent Jesus to set the captives free (Isaiah 61). I know Your power and I know Your might. I ask that You deliver me from all addictions and bondages that has kept me from being and doing my best. This sin is repulsive and I can no longer tolerate it. I know Lord that You and only You can and will deliver me from this evil. I ask You Lord to be a place of refuge during this grueling time. Send me Your help. Let me arm myself with strength and hope and help of others that will companion with me and give me sound and Godly advice. I believe in miracles and according to Your Word in Psalms 149:5, I have the authority through Jesus Christ to execute judgement on the forces of satan and release power from heaven to bind the evil that I am facing in this addiction. Heavenly Father I ask that You send Your angelic warriors to drive back the enemy of Christ that are working in this stronghold of addiction. Your Word says in 1 Samuel 2:10 that the adversares of the Lord shall be broken in pieces and You will bring salvation, restoration and healing to me. From heaven You will thunder against them and You will give strength to Your children and exalt the horn of Your anointed. In Jesus Name we pray, Amen

Amen Cheech. Our struggling does not catch God by surprise. He even told us in Joshua that we would conquer through taking one step at a time. Often, victory is a process. Sometimes, it happens suddenly like it did at Jerico. Other times, it takes a while. Thanks for posting that.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries
    gertie...you hang in there. I wrote this because I recently had to give an exhortation at our church and these verses were the ones the Lord led me to because some of the people in our little church were struggling so. I hadn't realized so many of them were struggling until I called anyone who was struggling to just come up to the altar and lay it at the feet of Christ. Amazing. I'm glad this could help you gertie. Never give up .

Fresh Clay, thank you for the prayer . Only Christ can break the chains that bind some so tightly.

Brother Mark, you got it. Sometimes I don't really think people realize just how many go through it.

Live your life in such a
    way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

This is such an amazing thread Cheech. What an encouragement to know that believers do indeed struggle with addictions or strongholds in their life. I too was told as a new believer years ago that if you are saved, then you won't be struggling and for the first few months after getting saved, it were great I had this new relationship with Jesus and I was on a "fire for the Lord" But then He began to deal with certain areas in my life and He began to show me that there are "attitudes, thought patterns" that shouldn't be there and I struggled. Because I didn't really have a good church to go to or anyone to tell me....that me struggling in this area is all a part of growing and maturing in the Lord...I backslid( Of coarse I am the one who backslid and I'm not blaming the "church" for not being there to teach me) for a few years and finally re-committed my life to Christ, 3yrs ago.

Blog Entries
    That's right kd...we all struggle. God will definitely make us face that which we need to overcome and get rid of in our lives that hold us back.

Live your life in such a

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Kinsdaughter, thank you for sharing what is probably only a teeny bit of your testimony here with us. I am certainly well aware of the "idea" of Christianity which puts us all as problem free and perfect. i think that is part of the reason why Christians are often branded as hypocrites, because people percieve that as Christians we think we are perfect when not one of us are, the only difference however is that we -know- we are not perfect and know thats why we need Jesus in our lives. Addictions and problems are a stuggle for anyone and everyone...... I believe in some ways it can be harder (and easier) for us as Christians, it is a struggle to accept (as in my case) that someone can hold a strong faith in the son of God, but still be an alcoholic - that may seem to be hypocritical to some... But any Christian should know that this is a sinful area in my life that Jesus justifies me before God for, and is working to transform me out of. To me - I am always going to be a work in progress, its just that as an alcoholic, the work is more obvious right now. Thats my perspective anyway, that othrs may choose to disagree with. Thank you for your thoughts darl, nice to have you over here in the breaking the chains forum!

Amen! You know there are other sins that are not as obvious as drinking or drugs. It could be anger, unforgiveness, bitterness, gossip etc. It really is a matter of the heart and what is in our hearts. God will most definitely bring out what is inside so that we can deal with them. I call them "hidden sins" but they are really not all that hidden, because eventually they come out in our attitude and what we say. The bible says that what is in a man's heart will come out in what he says. Thank you for sharing

Joshua is one of my favorite books. To me, it is a book about overcoming strongholds and fighting the war against the enemy. In the first chapter, God said "Be strong and courageous" FOUR times! War is not pleasant though it can bring wonderful results.

Let us all fight against our addictions and war with them. One step at a time we overcome and have victory. Though we fall down, yet we will arise.

Mic 7:8
    8 Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy.
    Though I fall I will rise;
    Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me.
    NASU

Sometimes, getting up is the victory. The difference between a lost man and a saved man... the saved man will get out of pit. He won't stay there. He will repent even if he has to repent seven times in one day!
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

That is so true Mark, your post is very encouraging and thanks for scripture brother

Greetings

Beloved, I to struggle with sin. I come from a background of sex, drugs and alcohol. For the last year I have struggled with drinking. Not only, has this ruined my testimony, but has stunted my spiritual growth. I have been trying to overcome this sin and grasp my victory for a season. However, I find that I am trying to do this in my own strength (pride). I have come to yet another crossroad in my Christian walk. I know that I can have victory. I shall humble myself and submit to the Lord. I will step out in faith in action, and wait upon the Lord.

In His service,
    JW Johnson
    1 Co. 9:16

Blog Entries
    hello electedbyhim . Just remember this verse:

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

We can do nothing on our own. On our own we are weak. Through Christ we are strong! Don't give up and continue praying. God hears your prayers and knows your heart .

Live your life in such a

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Thanks Cheech and others who have posted. For almost 10 months I have been drinking and before I had almost 3 years of sobriety. Recently I have been plagued by thoughts that I may not be saved because of these relapses. During my sobriety I shared with other addicts how God rescued me, but now feel I have lost that opportunity and would be a hypocrit. I have now been sober 7 days. Please pray for me.

Your brother in Christ,
    Steve

Blog Entries
    Steve, you had a relapse. You fell. It happens. The enemy is good at getting people to believe that because you have fallen there is no hope for you and your salvation is gone. There is nothing wrong with rededicating your life to Christ. You may want to go to your Pastor and speak with him about this. If you don't have one nor have a church you attend, I highly recommend you find a church and speak with a Pastor. You might want to look around and see if there is a biblical recovery program in your area that you can attend. There is a well known one called Celebrate Recovery. Other churches have other recovery programs too though. Start calling. You definitely need support.

May God strengthen your armor and renew your mind. God bless you

Live your life in such a

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Thread Information