cure-real
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 79

Thread: Things in the bible that make little sense

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    26

    Things in the bible that make little sense

    "And these signs shall accompany them that believe: in my name they shall cast out demons, they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall in no wise hurt them; they shall lay their hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mark 16:17-18

    Does this mean if I become a really strong christian I can heal people by touching them?

    Another thing that confuses me is the fact that the word of god is described as a sword. Why should I use it as a sword? (weapon)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassplayerchick View Post
    "And these signs shall accompany them that believe: in my name they shall cast out demons, they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall in no wise hurt them; they shall lay their hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mark 16:17-18

    Does this mean if I become a really strong christian I can heal people by touching them?
    When one sets aside his own abilities and ambitions, and seeks to do what the Holy Spirit directs us to do, and allow the Holy Spirit to work through us, then, yes, you can lay hands on someone and they will recover. Listening to the Spirit is the key.

    Another thing that confuses me is the fact that the word of god is described as a sword. Why should I use it as a sword? (weapon)
    A sword is used against an enemy. The enemy of God, and of us, is the principalities and powers of darkness, satan and his host, and it is the Word of God that we use to defeat his attempts to lead us astray and destroy us.

  3. #3
    But, just as a reminder, it's not like you gain superpowers that you work on command. It's up the will of God as to whether you will be able to do these things and when.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    But, just as a reminder, it's not like you gain superpowers that you work on command. It's up the will of God as to whether you will be able to do these things and when.
    So god can choose not to heal someone?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    2,217
    uh huh. He doesn't always heal a person. Depends on the purpose of the thing. Sometimes we are so thickskulled that it takes a good whack to get our attention. Sometimes it's just our time to go.
    Sometimes He heals instantly, sometimes over a period of time. Sometimes, He takes us home where we get a brand new body! Now that's healing!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassplayerchick View Post
    "And these signs shall accompany them that believe: in my name they shall cast out demons, they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall in no wise hurt them; they shall lay their hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mark 16:17-18

    Does this mean if I become a really strong christian I can heal people by touching them?

    Another thing that confuses me is the fact that the word of god is described as a sword. Why should I use it as a sword? (weapon)
    If we back up a few verses we see that Jesus is talking to the 11 apostles and admonishing them for their unbelief upon hearing about His resurrection:

    (Mark 16:14 KJV) Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

    The ones who are to be believing are the ones He is sending and then these signs will accompany them as they preach the gospel. This is the special sign ministry that the Apostles were being given.

    As for the sword of the spirit being a weapon, you needn't think that means it is used "against" others, since it is also effective for oneself:

    (Heb 4:12 KJV) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    Robin

    Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
    And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
    Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
    Those who compromise with Christís enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

  7. #7
    jeffreys Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassplayerchick View Post
    So god can choose not to heal someone?
    Absolutely. God is sovereign, and brings about His will - not necessarily our demands.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassplayerchick View Post
    Another thing that confuses me is the fact that the word of god is described as a sword. Why should I use it as a sword? (weapon)

    Are you referring to this verse?

    Hebrews 4:12-13
    For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
    When we read the Bible, it judges our thoughts and motives. It is how we tell right and wrong and how we tell when something in our hearts needs to be changed. It's called a sword because it can pierce deep inside us and through any of the layers of excuses or hardness we may have built up.

    That's what I think it means, but I would love to hear other people's opinions because I've learned a lot that way.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    storydweller
    Posts
    3,253
    Concerning healing: Is it God's will that anyone become sick? Does God partner with death? Does God have a "revealed" will and a "secret" will? Did Jesus ever tell someone that they were sick for a reason, and turn them away? Did He ever tell them that by their momentary light affliction God was working in them an eternal weight of glory? Didn't Jesus heal everyone that came to Him? Why do we make up false doctrines to hide our laziness and fallenness? Why can't we just admit that God doesn't heal through us because we don't have compassion on the sick, nor do we have faith or hope (true Biblical hope; not wishing)? Wouldn't God love it if we were just real with Him?
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

    *It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahtar View Post
    [/color]When one sets aside his own abilities and ambitions, and seeks to do what the Holy Spirit directs us to do, and allow the Holy Spirit to work through us, then, yes, you can lay hands on someone and they will recover. Listening to the Spirit is the key.

    [color=darkgreen]A sword is used against an enemy. The enemy of God, and of us, is the principalities and powers of darkness, satan and his host, and it is the Word of God that we use to defeat his attempts to lead us astray and destroy us.
    good advice here; Bassplayerchick.

    I would reiterate that it is God's decision though.
    Jer 6:16a
    Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

    I've started a blog
    http://exwitch.ancientcrossroads.org

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
    Concerning healing: Is it God's will that anyone become sick? Does God partner with death? Does God have a "revealed" will and a "secret" will? Did Jesus ever tell someone that they were sick for a reason, and turn them away? Did He ever tell them that by their momentary light affliction God was working in them an eternal weight of glory? Didn't Jesus heal everyone that came to Him? Why do we make up false doctrines to hide our laziness and fallenness? Why can't we just admit that God doesn't heal through us because we don't have compassion on the sick, nor do we have faith or hope (true Biblical hope; not wishing)? Wouldn't God love it if we were just real with Him?
    I disagree with this stance. I've known many people who truly, sincerely had faith in God healing someone who was sick. I had a friend who had cancer. He, his family, and the church had faith in God for his healing. The healing never came, and he died. But who are we to tell God what His will is to be? Was it not God who took David's son?

    If you're asking such question, then, do you have as much faith as you claim others do not have? If such is true, that you convict others of their lack of faith and their "laziness," then you are probably filled with such faith that you have the right to convict others on their lack of faith. In that case, do you go to the sick with your faith and heal them? I surely hope so! For to be able to criticize others of their supposed lack of faith that healings do not happen for them should mean you do have that faith that people lack, so that you can actually perform these healings!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    storydweller
    Posts
    3,253
    I was using "we" throughout my post for a reason... And no, God's will for us does not include death or sickness or suffering, otherwise we'd see it in Rev. 21 and 22 - in the age to come... God hates death... The Spirit has used me in healing people of sicknesses, the best story so far being a woman with major vision problems, though we should never diminish healing "small things" like colds or headaches... And that's not the only reason that God doesn't heal through us, it's just a major reason - a foundational one... Until you've heard and witnessed testimonies of healing, we won't know what's available to us by the Spirit, and many times this keeps us from asking and receiving! Children often have the best healing track-record, because no one's yet "taught" them that they can't heal! (Go figure...) Some stories that bring me great encouragement: a friend of mine healed a man with tumors all over his body; the tumors just fell off onto the ground! A teacher of mine told us the other day that when on a trip to Central America, the church she was sent to minister to was teaching a relevant message to its members, "Just because you raise the dead doesn't mean that you can stop your quiet time with the Lord"! The testimonies that came out of that one meeting were amazing! A preacher came and spoke at the church I attend, telling us many healing accounts; a decapitated woman brought back to life; another woman who's neck was broken so severely that her head was facing the wrong way, and her eyes were out of her sockets, and she was raised from the dead by "laymen" in his church! A boy partially cremated and dead three days in Africa from another guest speaker was risen from the dead! Testimony from a man who had committed suicide, then was brought back to life by his Christian neighbor who didn't know what to do but pray in tongues! Another from a man who had even been embalmed! A man from an under ground church in China came and spoke, and casually mentioned (because it was so common to life over there) that they raised at least two and three dead people a week! Fingers where there were missing fingers; brand new hearts; cancer completely gone! Jesus died on the cross to heal us of our sicknesses and to overturn death... why do so many believe that this can only happen at Jesus' return?
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

    *It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
    why do so many believe that this can only happen at Jesus' return?
    I don't know friend, but no one in this thread has said that. I for have seen healings take place, and have laid hands on a few and they were healed.
    But not every single one of them were healed that I prayed for. Did my faith suddenly grow weak? No. Perhaps they didn't have enough faith? Don't think so.
    I was going to pray for a blind woman's healing once, and the Spirit said 'No, she sees fine already'. This woman has visions and is a powerful prayaer warrior. Plus, her family members who were 'stuck helping her' were learning valuable lessons in the process.
    A dear friend of ours suddenly became ill, went to the doc and found she had cancer. We prayed for her healing. But she died. Lack of faith? No. She was a Godly woman who herself had been to Central America and had seen with her own eyes miraculous healing take place there. But, it was simply her time to go home.
    And folks, dying is NOT a bad thing, if you are a Christiain. It's a blessed event! It means our race is done, and we can now begin spending our eternity with Christ! This body is nothing but grass that is here one day and gone the next. People act like this life here is all there is and make such a struggle to preserve it, when all the while it is only the first hour of our life, the rest of which takes place once we leave this one.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    storydweller
    Posts
    3,253
    God takes no pleasure in death - it is not His will. This is why He's going to destroy death. And as I said, it's not always a lack of faith... there's lots of reasons why people don't get healed, but a lack of faith is the foundational reason. And death is a bad thing, even for Christ followers, because our bodies are good! That's why we get an immortal body at the resurrection! That's why heaven is coming to earth! Don't become reconciled to God's sworn enemy!
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

    *It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,773
    Quote Originally Posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
    God takes no pleasure in death - it is not His will. This is why He's going to destroy death. And as I said, it's not always a lack of faith... there's lots of reasons why people don't get healed, but a lack of faith is the foundational reason. And death is a bad thing, even for Christ followers, because our bodies are good! That's why we get an immortal body at the resurrection! That's why heaven is coming to earth! Don't become reconciled to God's sworn enemy!
    On the other hand, unless one dies to this life, he will not enter into the presence of God in heaven. While it only takes a small amount of faith to move mountains, death is a part of this life. Calamity & disease are the vehicles by which death comes to all - sooner or later. But because we have hope in death thru the resurrection of Christ, we do not fear nor mourn like those who have no such hope. The important part about a miraculous healing is not that our faith brings it about, but that God for His own glory does so at His discretion - therefore we trust Him whatever the circumstances we find ourselves in. What can be surely known is that nothing we can do will turn the hand of God at our will - whether by faith or superstition. God will be God in all things that please Him for His glory. And we know that trusting Him by faith whether we are healed or not is what pleases Him.

    My hope is therefore anchored upon the resurrection of Jesus, not upon the sign miracle of Lazarus - who died again. Jesus holds the power of eternal life and gives it to whom He will. The sign is only to point us to the One who is that Life.
    Robin

    Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
    And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
    Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
    Those who compromise with Christís enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •