cure-real
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 82

Thread: The Law ( 10 commandments)

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Studyin'2Show View Post
    I read the link too and isn't it interesting that different people can look at the exact same scriptures and see completely different things.
    Yes! very interesting and good point. It is hard to get the same views or answers from people regarding certain versus and there meaning in scripture. I guess it's more reason to pray and continue to God's word to seek his answers.

  2. #32
    Study

    I came across the below verse yesterday and wondered your thoughts. From what I have learned or been taught, I see the Sabbath as a sign to Israel and not to be intended or required to keep for Christians. There isn't even one commandment in the New Testament for Christians to observe the Sabbath. The other 9 commandments are in the New Testament.

    Exodus 31:15-17
    "15 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death. 16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.' "

    Shane

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Born on the knees of my Father
    Posts
    1,160
    snfx,

    I disagree with your statement quoted below:
    There isn't even one commandment in the New Testament for Christians to observe the Sabbath.
    Read this section then:

    Heb 4:1 Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it.
    Heb 4:2 For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.
    Heb 4:3 For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, "As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter my
    Heb 4:4 For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works."
    Heb 4:5 And again in this passage he said, "They shall not enter my rest."
    Heb 4:6 Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience,
    Heb 4:7 again he appoints a certain day, "Today," saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."
    Heb 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.
    Heb 4:9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
    Heb 4:10 for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
    Heb 4:11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.

    For the bigger picture read Hebrews Chapter 3-4

    However this clearly speaks of that 4th commandment, to remember the Sabbath day.

    Shalom,
    Tanja
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boiling Springs, SC
    Posts
    5,570
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by shnfx View Post
    Exodus 31:15-17
    "15 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death. 16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.' "

    Shane
    Hi Shane!

    Galatians 6:16 - And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

    I am part of the Israel of God! I claim ALL the blessings of Abraham and Israel. And I see the sabbath as a blessing.

    God Bless!
    II Timothy 2:15
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Read My Testimony Visit Our Website

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
    snfx,

    I disagree with your statement quoted below:
    Read this section then:

    Heb 4:1 Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it.
    Heb 4:2 For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.
    Heb 4:3 For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, "As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter my
    Heb 4:4 For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works."
    Heb 4:5 And again in this passage he said, "They shall not enter my rest."
    Heb 4:6 Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience,
    Heb 4:7 again he appoints a certain day, "Today," saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."
    Heb 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.
    Heb 4:9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
    Heb 4:10 for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
    Heb 4:11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.

    For the bigger picture read Hebrews Chapter 3-4

    However this clearly speaks of that 4th commandment, to remember the Sabbath day.

    Shalom,
    Tanja
    It depends on how it is interpreted by an individual. The above Hebrews quote is an example of the rest from our 'works' that we find in Jesus, not about observing a day. Jesus fulfilled the law, we rest in Jesus.
    Don't you think Jesus himself would have commanded us to keep the Sabbath? He gave the other 9 commandments, but He did not command us to keep the Sabbath.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Studyin'2Show View Post
    Hi Shane!

    Galatians 6:16 - And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

    I am part of the Israel of God! I claim ALL the blessings of Abraham and Israel. And I see the sabbath as a blessing.

    God Bless!
    It's all in how you interpret the Sabbath. For me the Sabbath rest is in Jesus as I am sure you find rest in him to.

    God Bless
    Shane

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Studyin'2Show View Post
    Hi Shane!

    Galatians 6:16 - And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

    I am part of the Israel of God! I claim ALL the blessings of Abraham and Israel. And I see the sabbath as a blessing.

    God Bless!
    I suppose we could go back and forth with versus. I definitely see the Sabbath as a blessing also. I find Sabbath Rest in Jesus for the work he did for us. It has been a pleasure talking with you on this subject.

    Shane

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
    snfx,

    I disagree with your statement quoted below:
    Read this section then:

    Heb 4:1 Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it.
    Heb 4:2 For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.
    Heb 4:3 For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, "As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter my
    Heb 4:4 For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works."
    Heb 4:5 And again in this passage he said, "They shall not enter my rest."
    Heb 4:6 Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience,
    Heb 4:7 again he appoints a certain day, "Today," saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."
    Heb 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.
    Heb 4:9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
    Heb 4:10 for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
    Heb 4:11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.

    For the bigger picture read Hebrews Chapter 3-4

    However this clearly speaks of that 4th commandment, to remember the Sabbath day.

    Shalom,
    Tanja
    Let's look at Hebrews a bit closer and in more detail.

    The book of Hebrews, considered as a whole, tells us that the practices of the Mosaic law are obsolete (7:11-12, 18-19). This would refer to the works or observances of the law (of which the Sabbath is one example) as opposed to its great moral principles. These "works of the law" include such practices or observances as meticulous tithing, circumcision, purification rites, festival regulations, temple worship and avoiding certain foods.
    The new covenant theme of Hebrews suggests that the weekly Sabbath day as described in the old covenant has been superseded by a better promise. The weekly Sabbath can be celebrated and kept, but it need not be. However, Hebrews 4:9-11 itself does not directly state this.
    Hebrews 4:9-11 tells us what the Sabbath pictures the eternal rest of God into which we enter. But that is all it tells us. It does not seem to address the issue of whether the weekly Sabbath should be kept or not. This simply is not the author's interest.
    Certainly the weekly Sabbath rest can point to the blessing and joy of the spiritual "rest" Christians have in Christ. This may be why the author of Hebrews may have coined the word sabbatismos making a play off the word for the Sabbath day (sabbaton). That is, sabbatismos stressed the joy, the celebration, the peace, the jubilation of the spiritual "rest." (We've put "rest" in quotes here because inactivity is not really what is meant.)
    Admittedly, Hebrews is a bit unclear as to the writer's attitude toward the weekly Sabbath day. Perhaps he wanted his readers, who were attracted to old covenant customs, to understand the Sabbath's true meaning in the light of the Christ event without having to make an issue of whether it needs to be kept or not.
    The Sabbath is meaningful on its own terms, just as the Passover-Exodus is. After all, the Sabbath stands as a metaphor of the whole purpose and meaning of redemption. It foreshadows the true spiritual "rest" we have in Christ every day. That's why Christians are free to keep the Sabbath to the degree they wish and why it remains a tradition of the Worldwide Church of God.
    But Hebrews 4:9 issues no command about keeping or not keeping the Sabbath. This verse cannot be used as a proof-text to insist that Christians keep a weekly seventh-day Sabbath rest. In summary, the verses in question do not exhort us to keep an old covenant Sabbath, but they do admonish us to enter the spiritual "rest" of God by having faith in Christ.
    Written by Paul Kroll, 1995

    For more information about the above article can be found at http://www.wcg.org/lit/law/sabbath/hebrews4.9.htm

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Born on the knees of my Father
    Posts
    1,160
    The book of Hebrews, considered as a whole, tells us that the practices of the Mosaic law are obsolete (7:11-12, 18-19). This would refer to the works or observances of the law (of which the Sabbath is one example) as opposed to its great moral principles. These "works of the law" include such practices or observances as meticulous tithing, circumcision, purification rites, festival regulations, temple worship and avoiding certain foods.
    How could that be true when Yeshua Himself said:

    Mat 23:2 "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat,
    Mat 23:3 so practice and observe whatever they tell you--but not what they do. For they preach, but do not practice.

    Also, i find it ironic that one wants to ignore that 4th commandment in the 10, where God commanded us to labor 6 days and rest on the seventh.....
    To remember the Sabbath day, is to recall something of old, and to observe it.

    You're free to use man's interpretation of the text, while i prefer to rely on God's Word and take scripture the way He leads me to understand.


    Shalom,
    Tanja
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/




  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
    How could that be true when Yeshua Himself said:

    Mat 23:2 "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat,
    Mat 23:3 so practice and observe whatever they tell you--but not what they do. For they preach, but do not practice.

    Also, i find it ironic that one wants to ignore that 4th commandment in the 10, where God commanded us to labor 6 days and rest on the seventh.....
    To remember the Sabbath day, is to recall something of old, and to observe it.

    You're free to use man's interpretation of the text, while i prefer to rely on God's Word and take scripture the way He leads me to understand.


    Shalom,
    Tanja
    Hi Tanja,

    Lest we go too far astray from the OP...

    Could you perhaps elaborate on "how" you "keep" the Sabbath? I think you have done a good job of showing "why" you do.

    I personally try to rest on that day, but I don't do all the things that my Jewish or neo-Jewish friends do. It intimidates me to think of trying to learn how to incorporate all of that into my life! But if I could benefit from making some baby steps in that direction, I'd love it.

    So for the sake of Nobunaga, and myself, I'd love to hear how you went about making this commandment an integral part of your schedule.

    Thanks for sharing, if you choose to do so. If this feels like it should be a new thread, I'm willing to go there, also.
    Blessings,

    Road Warrior


    Proverbs 4:23
    23 Guard your heart above all else,
    for it determines the course of your life.

  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post

    You're free to use man's interpretation of the text, while i prefer to rely on God's Word and take scripture the way He leads me to understand.

    Shalom,
    Tanja
    That is the key question. How should we understand the Sabbath day of rest? Here is another link. I would encourage you to please read this as it has great information pertaining to the Sabbath of old and the Sabbath rest we have in Jesus. Have a good weekend!

    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...am/sabbath.htm

    God Bless

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boiling Springs, SC
    Posts
    5,570
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by shnfx View Post
    That is the key question. How should we understand the Sabbath day of rest? Here is another link. I would encourage you to please read this as it has great information pertaining to the Sabbath of old and the Sabbath rest we have in Jesus. Have a good weekend!

    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...am/sabbath.htm

    God Bless
    Hi Shane!

    I read the link and sorry, but I just don't see what you obviously see. I thought the author was continually taking scripture out of context to make their point. I'd like to just point one thing out that I thought was completely out of context.

    Galatians 4:10-11
    10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.

    The author seems to think that Paul was speaking here of observing the Sabbath. Yet, how about those who observe Christmas or easter. But was Paul speaking about the Sabbath or the Passover or the other Feasts that God calls His own? Or was he referring to something else entirely? Let's look at the verses BEFORE.

    Galatians 4:8-9

    8 But then, indeed, when you did not know God, you served those which by nature are not gods. 9 But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how
    is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage?

    So, these were those who had served other gods prior to coming to the real true God. Paul was NOT speaking to the Jews here. Evidently, these former pagans had gone back to their previous bondage. Observing pagans days and months and years. It's fairly simple to see that he is speaking to non-Jews so why would someone use verses 10-11 as if these pagans had gone BACK to observing Sabbath? Does that make any sense? Of course these pagans had NOT previously been observing Sabbath so that now Paul was rebuking them for keeping Sabbath. We MUST exegete the scriptures properly.

    God Bless!

    P.S. On one point I did agree with the author and that was that Christians substituting Sunday for the Sabbath was improper.
    II Timothy 2:15
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Read My Testimony Visit Our Website

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Born on the knees of my Father
    Posts
    1,160
    RoadWarrior,
    Let me preface that I'm still and continually growing in knowledge and understanding. The same goes for the Sabbath.

    I have had Sabbaths on which i took a complete rest, and just dwelt on the Word and read scripture. I however had other Sabbaths turn out to where i was involved in helping others with immediate needs. I found those Sabbaths to be the most refreshing and spiritually enlightening, and satisfying.

    My mind went to the times we know Yeshua was in Sabbath observance, and healed people, spread the gospel, etc.

    Yes we cease from work, that is daily functional work, creating and doing usual business.

    My thoughts anymore are, that i want to visit the homeless, the sick, and the old, or possibly even those who are in prison, and just give them companionship, and perhaps share some knowledge with them.
    I'm not talking giving any of these a sermon on the mount, but companionship, and understanding, and maybe some light, little by little.

    I have never gotten into the Jewish liturgy and observation to the extreme, but some of it is certainly applicable, and good practice. There's a middle ground, i believe, that needs to be found by each of us individually.

    I'm just sharing my thoughts here, for you to enrich yourself on hopefully.

    I hope this helps, and should you have further questions, maybe you could pm me.

    Shalom,
    Tanja
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/




  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Born on the knees of my Father
    Posts
    1,160
    Sfnx,

    We will obviously disagree, so i'll just ditto Studying2Show's post, and leave it at that.

    I have considered this issue for over 2 years if not more, so don't think i made a lighthearted decision. On the same line, i'm not inclined to change my view on what the Sabbath stands for and that it should be observed.

    Shalom,
    Tanja
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/




  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
    Sfnx,

    We will obviously disagree, so i'll just ditto Studying2Show's post, and leave it at that.

    I have considered this issue for over 2 years if not more, so don't think i made a lighthearted decision. On the same line, i'm not inclined to change my view on what the Sabbath stands for and that it should be observed.

    Shalom,
    Tanja
    I have also considered this issue for a while as well. God bless both of you and may He give us all understanding of what he asks of us.

    Shane

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •