cure-real
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the leaven the kingdom of God?

Is the leaven the kingdom of God?

"And again He said, “To what shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal till it was all leavened.” Lk 13:20-21 NKJV

We were looking at this passage in our bible study last night and there was some friendly disagreement over what this parable meant. Most of us considered that, as with the preceding parable of the mustard seed, it was a positive message and spoke (in all likelihood) about the spread of Christ's kingdom gradually and at first imperceptibly in our hearts and lives until every aspect of them is touched by His grace. While we didn't look into the other possibility (as I see it) of the kingdom expanding and affecting the whole world (to make it similar to the mustard seed parable), I'm aware of this view too.

But one brother (a retired pastor who has recently joined us) disagreed and considered that the parable should be seen as a warning to the church of the corruption of false teaching and immorality, as leaven is always spoken of in Scripture as being one of these things (Christ's teaching elsewhere, Gal 5:9 and 1 Cor 5:6 come to mind) - yet it is the leaven itself that is compared to the kingdom of God - if it is false teaching, then surely the meal into which the leaven was put would be the kingdom of God, which was corrupted by false teaching/immorality?

Looking at the 1 Cor 5 passage, is there any significance in Paul saying that we should not replace the "old leaven" with the "new leaven" of grace
    but that we should be UNLEAVENED!

One of the commentaries I looked at said that goats, birds, serpents and thieves represent both good and bad things in Scripture - and this was the one occasion where leaven is described in a good light.

I'm left feeling a little uncertain about the passage - if it was indeed a warning, wouldn't the LORD have made it clearer eg "Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy"?

What do people think?

Dear 9Markfan,

Hi!

IMHO what I understand to have been the majority view in your bible study -- that Jesus is comparing the leaven itself to the Kingdom of God, and thus making the action of leaven in meal an analogy to how the KoG works -- is entirely correct.

There are several reasons for this, and several reasons why I find the argument that "leaven" here represents corruption unconvincing. First, as you rightly state, Jesus says "the kingdom of God ... is like leaven, which a woman took." Thus, without some strong counter-indication, the natural reading is that Jesus is analogizing the KoG to leaven, and that the leaven is a good thing. Second, both in Luke and in the parallel passage in Matthew (13:33), this parable is -- as you again rightly point out -- twinned with a parable in which Jesus compares the KoG with a mustard seed which, though tiny, becomes the greatest of shrubs, offering a place to build nests. Third, this latter comparison, incidentally, evokes Jesus' use of the term mustard seed (at Matt 17:20) to speak of how faith -- even the tinyest amount -- can have earthshaking results. Fourth, in Matthew, these parables are presented together with the parable "the Sower" which again emphasizes seed as something that brings forth abundant growth for God's kingdom.

The interpretation you give, of gradual and at first imperceptible increase, in our hearts in the world, again seems to me to be a natural reading, and probably the primary emphasis, of the text. However, I think there might be some other elements there as well. The KoG in this saying is, both in Luke and Matthew, like leaven which a woman "took and hid" in meal. The element of hiddenness, here, seems to me to be an overtone of the parable, picked up in Matthew both in the later parable of the treasure in the field and in the hiddenness implied in the secret of the kingdom (vv. 11-17) in Jesus' discussion, quoting Isaiah 6, of the parable of the Sower, preceding.

In general, I think that the words of Scripture (with the events and images which those words present to us) are deep, alive and active (like leaven!): meant to keep working in our hearts as we ponder them. Thus, I think many sayings of Jesus are multi-layered. There are many important things he's saying in his parables, and part of the point of teaching in parables is to get us to keep pondering and applying the parables. (This argument I just presented must not be confused with the false idea, which I would emphatically reject, that the Scriptures are unclear, up for grabs, or to be interpreted any old way one chooses. They are clear, but also lively, and keep challenging and teaching us in new ways.)

Such an understanding is related to a broad understanding of the way Scripture flexibly and powerfully uses symbolic language to maximum effect, to evoke, form the patterns of our thinking, represent, compare, and so on.

While it is the case that there are some tendencies for a book, passage, or larger contexts of scripture to use particular images in consistent ways, the Scriptures are not a coded message, IMO, which is to be "decoded" mechanically with some key or codebook. The idea that leaven (yeast) always represents something evil relies upon something like that kind of codebook approach, IMO. Stars are always this, brass is always that, trees are always such and such, birds are always thus and so. I see no basis in Scripture for assuming that kind of approach.

The idea that "leaven" or yeast in Scripture is always bad also seems to me to be an artifact of today's grocery-store living. For bread-eating cultures -- all of them up until recently -- which were not as rich and technological and removed from agricultural life as ours now is, leaven, yeast, was an obvious, natural part of life and of bread-making. People generally made their own bread rather than buying it at stores, and everyone understood that leaven and the rising of dough, and so on, was a part of life. One might as well have said that "the sun" or "the earth" or "vines" represented evil. It would have been a silly and inflexible way of using life experience that had many connotations and meanings as a kind of code.

FWIW

Blessings,
    Scruff

Quote Originally Posted by 9Marksfan View Post
    "And again He said, “To what shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal till it was all leavened.” Lk 13:20-21 NKJV

We were looking at this passage in our bible study last night and there was some friendly disagreement over what this parable meant. Most of us considered that, as with the preceding parable of the mustard seed, it was a positive message and spoke (in all likelihood) about the spread of Christ's kingdom gradually and at first imperceptibly in our hearts and lives until every aspect of them is touched by His grace. While we didn't look into the other possibility (as I see it) of the kingdom expanding and affecting the whole world (to make it similar to the mustard seed parable), I'm aware of this view too.

But one brother (a retired pastor who has recently joined us) disagreed and considered that the parable should be seen as a warning to the church of the corruption of false teaching and immorality, as leaven is always spoken of in Scripture as being one of these things (Christ's teaching elsewhere, Gal 5:9 and 1 Cor 5:6 come to mind) - yet it is the leaven itself that is compared to the kingdom of God - if it is false teaching, then surely the meal into which the leaven was put would be the kingdom of God, which was corrupted by false teaching/immorality?

Looking at the 1 Cor 5 passage, is there any significance in Paul saying that we should not replace the "old leaven" with the "new leaven" of grace

One of the commentaries I looked at said that goats, birds, serpents and thieves represent both good and bad things in Scripture - and this was the one occasion where leaven is described in a good light.

I'm left feeling a little uncertain about the passage - if it was indeed a warning, wouldn't the LORD have made it clearer eg "Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy"?

What do people think?
    9Marksfan Hi

The Greek word for kingdom is basileia(S G932) and means the power, and not the kingdom itself.

Therefore there is a growth of power, as we see the mustard seed turn into a great tree, and the leaven makes the bread rise.

Does it reflect the growth of the kingdom, as souls are saved?

terrell

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy Kid View Post
    Dear 9Markfan,

Hi!

IMHO what I understand to have been the majority view in your bible study -- that Jesus is comparing the leaven itself to the Kingdom of God, and thus making the action of leaven in meal an analogy to how the KoG works -- is entirely correct.

There are several reasons for this, and several reasons why I find the argument that "leaven" here represents corruption unconvincing. First, as you rightly state, Jesus says "the kingdom of God ... is like leaven, which a woman took." Thus, without some strong counter-indication, the natural reading is that Jesus is analogizing the KoG to leaven, and that the leaven is a good thing. Second, both in Luke and in the parallel passage in Matthew (13:33), this parable is -- as you again rightly point out -- twinned with a parable in which Jesus compares the KoG with a mustard seed which, though tiny, becomes the greatest of shrubs, offering a place to build nests. Third, this latter comparison, incidentally, evokes Jesus' use of the term mustard seed (at Matt 17:20) to speak of how faith -- even the tinyest amount -- can have earthshaking results. Fourth, in Matthew, these parables are presented together with the parable "the Sower" which again emphasizes seed as something that brings forth abundant growth for God's kingdom.

The interpretation you give, of gradual and at first imperceptible increase, in our hearts in the world, again seems to me to be a natural reading, and probably the primary emphasis, of the text. However, I think there might be some other elements there as well. The KoG in this saying is, both in Luke and Matthew, like leaven which a woman "took and hid" in meal. The element of hiddenness, here, seems to me to be an overtone of the parable, picked up in Matthew both in the later parable of the treasure in the field and in the hiddenness implied in the secret of the kingdom (vv. 11-17) in Jesus' discussion, quoting Isaiah 6, of the parable of the Sower, preceding.

In general, I think that the words of Scripture (with the events and images which those words present to us) are deep, alive and active (like leaven!): meant to keep working in our hearts as we ponder them. Thus, I think many sayings of Jesus are multi-layered. There are many important things he's saying in his parables, and part of the point of teaching in parables is to get us to keep pondering and applying the parables. (This argument I just presented must not be confused with the false idea, which I would emphatically reject, that the Scriptures are unclear, up for grabs, or to be interpreted any old way one chooses. They are clear, but also lively, and keep challenging and teaching us in new ways.)

Such an understanding is related to a broad understanding of the way Scripture flexibly and powerfully uses symbolic language to maximum effect, to evoke, form the patterns of our thinking, represent, compare, and so on.

While it is the case that there are some tendencies for a book, passage, or larger contexts of scripture to use particular images in consistent ways, the Scriptures are not a coded message, IMO, which is to be "decoded" mechanically with some key or codebook. The idea that leaven (yeast) always represents something evil relies upon something like that kind of codebook approach, IMO. Stars are always this, brass is always that, trees are always such and such, birds are always thus and so. I see no basis in Scripture for assuming that kind of approach.

The idea that "leaven" or yeast in Scripture is always bad also seems to me to be an artifact of today's grocery-store living. For bread-eating cultures -- all of them up until recently -- which were not as rich and technological and removed from agricultural life as ours now is, leaven, yeast, was an obvious, natural part of life and of bread-making. People generally made their own bread rather than buying it at stores, and everyone understood that leaven and the rising of dough, and so on, was a part of life. One might as well have said that "the sun" or "the earth" or "vines" represented evil. It would have been a silly and inflexible way of using life experience that had many connotations and meanings as a kind of code.

FWIW

Blessings,
    Scruff
    Thanks, Scruff - excellent points!

One other thing - the retired pastor said that there was something sinister in the woman "hiding" yeast in the meal - and that this was definitely something that would NOT have been done in Jewish culture - is the fact that it's "meal" and not "flour" significant? Are they different substances?

Quote Originally Posted by tgallison View Post
    9Marksfan Hi

The Greek word for kingdom is basileia(S G932) and means the power, and not the kingdom itself.

Therefore there is a growth of power, as we see the mustard seed turn into a great tree, and the leaven makes the bread rise.

Does it reflect the growth of the kingdom, as souls are saved?

terrell
    Numerically, yes, I think that it what the mustard seed parable is about. But I think the leaven parable is about organic growth within the life of the believer.

What do people think?
    Hi Nigel,

Some time ago this topic was discussed in another community forum. My search of this subject leads me to agree with the retired pastor, who says it is a warning to the church to be aware of corruption through false teaching and immorality coming in. False doctrine and immorality can utterly destroy a covenant body.

One thing that helped to clarify the leaven is understanding the kingdom of God Christ is referencing.

When Christ speaks of the kingdom He is not always referring to the eternal dwelling place of God. The kingdom is also referenced as being with us, even within us now, in an earthly sense. Christ ushered in the kingdom by His death and resurrection on the cross. The Messianic Kingdom will be made manifest through the Church. This is why the church universal is said to be the representation of the Kingdom on earth. It is in this earthly assembling of the “called out ones” where we find not only the eternally elect of God, but also the leaven, the evil, the tares, the bad, and the foolish, both the Christians, and antichrists.

If reference to the kingdom always means the heavenly abode, would some of the elect entering into the kingdom be called the least, while others are called great?

Mt 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

How could these be called children of the kingdom (heavenly abode) and then be cast out? What kingdom are they cast out of, could it be heaven?
    Mt 8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Can violent men take the kingdom, the heavenly abode by force? What kingdom of heaven is this that suffers violence, and is taken by force?

Mt 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

After having cast out a devil, Jesus tells us the kingdom of God is come. This is not the kingdom which will come down out of heaven, so what kingdom of God is Jesus talking about?

Mt 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

Nothing offensive can enter into the kingdom which is in heaven, so where/what is the kingdom where the Son of man shall send His angels to gather out things that offend?

Mt 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

Christ tells us the kingdom of God is within us, but He also tells us the kingdom is not of this world. How can the kingdom be within us, and yet be not of this world?

Lu 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
    Lu 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Joh 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

I'm breaking this down into more easily digestible posts, hoping not to overwhelm you.

to be continued

Mt 13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

A woman hides leaven (false doctrine, malice, wickedness, evil) in three measures of meal till the whole is leavened (false, malicious, wicked, evil).

Christ shows us a woman, calling herself a prophetess teaching in the church, and this is not good!

Re 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
    Re 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
    Re 2:22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
    Re 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Christ also tells us that women are not to teach nor usurp authority over man in the church. Again this is not good.

1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    1Ti 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

If a woman is teaching men doctrine, false or true in the church then she is not obedient to the law. Neither is this a good thing.

1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

Since this is something evil coming against the kingdom, I'm wondering if the three measures represent the three enemies that come against the child of God; the world, the flesh, and Satan? I further wonder if these three might symbolize the beast, the false prophet, and the devil? It's interesting that it is three, reminds us of the three that bear witness in heaven, and the three that bear witness on earth.

1Jo 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
    1Jo 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Stands to reason why three since Satan comes as an angel of light and his ministers are transformed into ministers of righteousness.

2Co 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
    2Co 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

As far as the whole being leavened; that should not surprise us, Christ repeatedly chastens us to repent or the candlestick will be removed. (The letters to the churches)

one more post

Here in Luke 12 Christ says the leaven of the Pharisees is hypocrisy.

Lu 12:1 In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

If leaven represents the TRUTH of Jesus Christ why was it hidden? Is it a good thing that the TRUTH is hidden in the church?

Matthew 13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

Here in 1 Co 5 the leaven is referred to as malice and wickedness.

1Co 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Here in Galatians 5 Paul likens leaven to those who hinder us not to obey the truth.

Ga 5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?
    Ga 5:8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.
    Ga 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Then we have this verse which likens the leaven to doctrine. But this is not just any doctrine, nor is it true doctrine it is likened to, it is the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Mt 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

I’ve searched every New Testament usage for the word “leaven” and while I believe that this leaven does demonstrate the effect it has on the covenant church, nowhere do I find that leaven is ever referred to as anything but evil.

In conclusion, I absolutley agree with the retired pastor, and believe we (every congregation) would do well to guard against leaven entering in.

Many Blessings,
    RW

Wow! Thanks so much for your very full post, Roger - I totally agree with your doctrine here and that of the retired pastor's - it was just that I didn't think that was "the truth of the text" - I'm still to be convinced, given the language our Lord uses - it would imply that the leaven is the kingdom - but I'm keeping an open mind!

I am beginning to wonder if your interpretation may be correct - and that there is a warning that is perhaps tied to the next passage in Luke, where Christ warns his disciples to "Strive to enter the kingdom" (there's an interesting side issue from that, a propos RbG's Free will and Does obedience save? threads, but perhaps another thread will be needed for that particular point!) - so it's in the context of struggle (with false doctrine?), effort and hardship.

Also, we were wondering what the "birds" referred to in the mustard seed parable nesting in the tree could mean - another warning? And in particular as the Parable of the Sower is next to it in Matthew, what do the birds in that parable signify?!?

This really is an amazing discussion!

Blessings.

Nigel

Numerically, yes, I think that it what the mustard seed parable is about. But I think the leaven parable is about organic growth within the life of the believer.
    The mustard seed parable has a negative connotation to it too with those fowls of the air that lodge in its branches. Which could be a symbolic reference to demons - especially doctrines of demons. In the parable of the sower, it is the fowls of the air that snatch the word of God that falls by the wayside.
    Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
    And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
    Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
    Those who compromise with Christ’s enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Mograce2U View Post
    The mustard seed parable has a negative connotation to it too with those fowls of the air that lodge in its branches. Which could be a symbolic reference to demons - especially doctrines of demons. In the parable of the sower, it is the fowls of the air that snatch the word of God that falls by the wayside.
    Exactly the point I was driving at in my last post! And of course, these three parables are bunched together in Matthew, which makes that interpretation all the more likely!

Exactly the point I was driving at in my last post! And of course, these three parables are bunched together in Matthew, which makes that interpretation all the more likely!
    And how interesting that we were both posting at the same time!
    Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
    And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
    Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
    Those who compromise with Christ’s enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Mograce2U View Post
    And how interesting that we were both posting at the same time!
    Even better! I wondered if you hadn't read my post before you put yours on! This is fascinating!

This is all really interesting. I read Luke last month and took this parable to be the positive meaning mentioned in the original post. I never would have thought about the leavening being a negative thing if not for this thread.

I have one commentary that says basically the same as what the retired pastor was saying. It also refers to the birds on the mustard tree as being something evil.

The version I was reading did not use the word "hid" or I might have thought about it differently, though maybe not. I guess "hid" could be good as in when we "hide the word in our heart" or it could be negative if it's to keep something deceitful or negative out of sight.

Blog Entries
    Folks need to look carefully and they can see it ain't all so positive. I agree with the preacher dude and Roger (don't be scared Roger! Has to happen now and again! ).

Here is what was happening.

Luke 13:15 But the Lord answered him and said, "You hypocrites, does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the stall, and lead him away to water him?
    16 "And this woman, a daughter of Abraham as she is, whom Satan has bound for eighteen long years, should she not have been released from this bond on the Sabbath day?"
    17 And as He said this, all His opponents were being humiliated; and the entire multitude was rejoicing over all the glorious things being done by Him.

Now it goes on.

Luke 13:18 ¶Therefore He was saying, "What is the kingdom of God like, and to what shall I compare it?
    19 "It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and threw into his own garden; and it grew and became a tree; and THE BIRDS OF THE AIR NESTED IN ITS BRANCHES."
    20 ¶And again He said, "To what shall I compare the kingdom of God?
    21 "It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three pecks of meal, until it was all leavened."

He said this BECAUSE of what was going on previously.

Then look at the text after... same theme Luke was writing about.

Luke 13:22 ¶And He was passing through from one city and village to another, teaching, and proceeding on His way to Jerusalem.
    23 And someone said to Him, "Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?" And He said to them,
    24 "Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.
    25 "Once the head of the house gets up and shuts the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock on the door, saying, `Lord, open up to us!´ then He will answer and say to you, `I do not know where you are from.´
    26 "Then you will begin to say, `We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets´;
    27 and He will say, `I tell you, I do not know where you are from; DEPART FROM ME, ALL YOU EVILDOERS.´
    28 "There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth there when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being cast out.
    29 "And they will come from east and west, and from north and south, and will recline at the table in the kingdom of God.
    30 "And behold, some are last who will be first and some are first who will be last."

The leaven was in His presence... the birds were too. Folks seek to enter... in many ways. Be it bird or leaven.

It's a warning.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Thread Information