cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the number 7 such a significant number in the bible?

Why is the number 7 such a significant number in the bible?

As I read the bible I mark where the number 7 is mentioned. I think I heard the number is mentioned 500 times in the bible?

Yukerboy Guest
    I just did a search at biblegateway.com

Seven or forms of it appear 562 in the KJV, 524 in the NIV...

Yuke

Blog Entries
    seven is regarded as the number of completion...

just a side note 8 is the number of rebirth
    The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

7 is a very significant number in the Bible, as is the number 3.
    Jesus Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life.

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:
    http://www.youtube.com/thewoodsofjordan

theleast Guest
    What about the number 12?

Blog Entries
    number of government... the twelve pillars in heaven... the twelve thrones upon the apostles will sit judging the tribes of Israel...
    The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

Numbers have special significance in the bible, beyond their literal meaning. 7 is the number of spiritual completeness. 40 is the number of ritual purification. Six is the number of man, the number of evil. Three is the number of divine perfection. One is the number of unity, as in "one god".

Sometimes, even combinations are used. Consider Moses' 120 years; he spent life in three separate stages (in Egypt, in the wilderness, leading the Israelites to the promised land), each stage took him into a new state of holiness - three stages (divine perfection), 40 years apiece. This simple number tells you worlds about Moses' place in God's divine plan.

Blog Entries
    Simple answer: God is constant, never changing. He works in the familiar, although sometimes we miss much of it.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

Heard a pastor talk about the number 7 once. He talked about how God made the heavens and the earth and then rested on the 7th day. Supposedly, apples have 7 seeds. There are 7 continents (or major land masses) on the earth, a woman's reproductive cycle is normally 28 days - 14 days of ovulation, 14 days of "whatever else happens" . I've even read that although most women vary in the length of their cycle, that it is almost always between 21 and 35 days. These numbers are all divisible by 7. Interesting stuff...

Blog Entries
    interesting indeed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    ....7 is the number of spiritual completeness.
    or for perfection..... the fullness of completion , like 100%
    Fenris: "There are two ways to shoot an arrow into a bulls-eye You can shoot the arrow into the bulls-eye or you can shoot the arrow and paint the bulls-eye wherever it hits"

Romans 12:19 Don't seek revenge ... give place to God's wrath. For it is written "Vengeance belongs to me; I will repay, says the Lord"

Isa. 30:32
    And every blow of the rod of punishment, which the Lord will lay on him, will be with the music of tambourines and lyres; And in battles, brandishing weapons, He will fight them

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

What are you willing to die for? Now live for it!

I just recently heard a commentary about this subject.

The number three being the heavens (God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit). And the number four (the four corners of the earth- like in Zechariah where God sends out the four horsemen to roam the earth in all four directions). Then taking the two sets, which connect heaven with earth- and together making us complete; seven. (And perhaps then by resting on the Sabbath day it is to remind us that we need to be connected to God- and that one day we will).
    "Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!"

~Matthew 12:50~

here's a lil info

Quote Originally Posted by Gentile View Post
    As I read the bible I mark where the number 7 is mentioned. I think I heard the number is mentioned 500 times in the bible?
    In Hebrew, the word for placing one under a sacred vow or oath relates to the word for seven. Don't bother looking in your Strongs Concordance for this info, it's not there.

I stumbled on this info when studying about a Christian prayer rope known as a chotki, which basically is a knotted rope used to pray with. A Jewish equivalent would be their phylacteries. The word "knot" basically relates of binding or loosing, which also relates to oath, vow or covenant, as well as to sign/symbol.

It's far to much to go into here, but if anyone is interested in further reading on the subject, the book is "The Knot in Hebrew Literature, or from the Knot to the Alphabet" by Solomon Gandz.
    Great deal of meaning in a simple knot.

Numbers

If you really want to see numbers, any book store can order Bullinger Number in Scripture and he really devles deep from the number one - 666 and combo of numbers 292 pages.

If you really want to boggle your mind with the number seven, count the sevens just in revelation alone. Not the just number seven...but the number of times things are mentioned throughout that book...you guessed it, seven times.

The obvious Revelation sevens:
    Seven Churches
    Seven Spirits of God
    Seven Golden Candlesticks
    Seven Stars
    Seven Angels
    Seven Lamps of Fire
    Seven backside Seals
    Seven Horns
    Seven Eyes
    Seven Trumpets
    Seven Thunders
    Seven Heads
    Seven Crowns
    Seven Last Plagues ...
    Seven Golden Vials
    Seven Mountains
    Seven Kings
    Seven "Right Hands"
    Seven things are "opened" in Revelation
    Seven types of men "hid" themselves
    Seven "Bottomless Pits"
    Seven promises of the overcommer
    Seven Beattitudes ("Blessed be those...." statements)
    Seven features in chapter 1
    Seven parathensis between chpt 12 and 13
    Seven years of judgement
    Seven "I Am" statements
    Seven "new things"

Thread Information