cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Hell be destroyed?

Question Will Hell be destroyed?

I always thought that unsaved people would go to Hell for eternity and suffer everlasting punishment. I have heard pastors say things like that. So I thought that Hell and the Devil would be around for eternity. I know that the Devil will have no power over the people who have been saved and are living on the New Earth, but I thought that he would continue to reign in Hell over those who did not accept Christ.

My husband, who has read Revalation several times (I have never read the whole thing all the way through) told me that when Christ comes back he's going to destroy both the Devil and Hell. He said that if he didn't, it would mean that God has no power over the Devil and my husband would have no reason to put his faith in him. When I told him that I thought God demonstrated his power by saving those who trust in him but that I didn't think he was going to destroy Hell, my husband said my theology is seriously messed up.

Help! Can someone please give me some direction here? Have I really misunderstood everything I thought I knew about Hell and eternity?

Quote Originally Posted by Liv View Post
    I always thought that unsaved people would go to Hell for eternity and suffer everlasting punishment. I have heard pastors say things like that. So I thought that Hell and the Devil would be around for eternity. I know that the Devil will have no power over the people who have been saved and are living on the New Earth, but I thought that he would continue to reign in Hell over those who did not accept Christ.

My husband, who has read Revalation several times (I have never read the whole thing all the way through) told me that when Christ comes back he's going to destroy both the Devil and Hell. He said that if he didn't, it would mean that God has no power over the Devil and my husband would have no reason to put his faith in him. When I told him that I thought God demonstrated his power by saving those who trust in him but that I didn't think he was going to destroy Hell, my husband said my theology is seriously messed up.

Help! Can someone please give me some direction here? Have I really misunderstood everything I thought I knew about Hell and eternity?

Hell is a place holding the dead also known as the grave but it's a spiritual place not holes in the ground. It is often confused with the lake of fire which people call "hell" but technically the first hell shall be cast into the lake of fire and destroyed along with the devil and those not written in the book of life.

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Death itself dies which simply means the concept of death will no longer exist.
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

but I thought that he would continue to reign in Hell over those who did not accept Christ.
    Do you believe that more people will go to heaven or hell?

If we can believe stats only about 5 to 10% of all people who ever lived are or were born again Christians. If that's true and 50 billion people have lived on earth since creation, then over 40 billion people will be in hell. If Satan reigns over this majority then he will rule over more that God. The bible clearly says three times that every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord.

Satan will rule over nothing and hell will be destroyed. Both are biblical.

Quote Originally Posted by Naphal View Post
    Hell is a place holding the dead also known as the grave but it's a spiritual place not holes in the ground. It is often confused with the lake of fire which people call "hell" but technically the first hell shall be cast into the lake of fire and destroyed along with the devil and those not written in the book of life.

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

I agreee.... well stated..
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

davidandme Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Liv View Post

The major missunderstanding with the topic of hell is the word forever and eternal. Let's see what does the Bible means by these words.

In Scripture, "for ever" is often used in conjunction with an event that has already taken place.
    For instance, Hannah pledged to God that she would take her infant son Samuel to serve in the temple at Shiloh, where he would abide "for ever" (1 Samuel 1:22). No student of the Bible would take this to mean that he would remain in that temple for as long as time should last. Hannah herself interpreted the statement as meaning that Samuel would serve in the temple for "as long as he liveth" (verse 28).
    Jonah stated that he was in the belly of the fish "for ever" (Jonah 2:6), but we know that he endured his eerie journey beneath the sea for "three days and three nights" (Jonah 1:17).
    More than 50 times the Bible uses "for ever" to mean "for as long as time lasts in that specific case." The term is used colloquially today to describe a downpour or a hot summer's afternoon (or a sermon!) that "went on forever."
    Death, Not Eternal Torment
    The Bible tells us that "the wages of sin is" not eternal life in hellfire, but "death" (Romans 6:23), the same penalty God assured Adam and Eve would be theirs if they ate the forbidden fruit.
    Ezekiel states clearly that "the soul that sinneth, it shall die" (Ezekiel 18:4), and a plethora of other Bible verses and passages endorse this position. The prophet Malachi wrote that sinners would burn up as "stubble" and would become "ashes under the soles" of the feet of the redeemed (Malachi 4:1, 3). Even the final fate of Satan is explicitly pronounced in Ezekiel 28:18, where the Bible says that the enemy of souls will be reduced to ashes upon the "earth." Compare that with Psalm 37:10 ("For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be"), Psalm 68:2 ("as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God"), and other similar verses. Soon you get a clear picture that the purpose of the fires of hell is to eradicate sin and to expunge the universe of its awful presence.
    Interestingly, it was the devil who was first to suggest that sinners would not die (Genesis 3:4). A hell where sinners never perish would prove the devil right and would make God, who told Eve she would "surely die" as a result of transgression (Genesis 2:17),
    In Scripture, "for ever" is often used in conjunction with an event that has already taken place.
    For instance, Hannah pledged to God that she would take her infant son Samuel to serve in the temple at Shiloh, where he would abide "for ever" (1 Samuel 1:22). No student of the Bible would take this to mean that he would remain in that temple for as long as time should last. Hannah herself interpreted the statement as meaning that Samuel would serve in the temple for "as long as he liveth" (verse 28).
    Jonah stated that he was in the belly of the fish "for ever" (Jonah 2:6), but we know that he endured his eerie journey beneath the sea for "three days and three nights" (Jonah 1:17).
    More than 50 times the Bible uses "for ever" to mean "for as long as time lasts in that specific case." The term is used colloquially today to describe a downpour or a hot summer's afternoon (or a sermon!) that "went on forever."
    The Bible tells us that "the wages of sin is" not eternal life in hellfire, but "death" (Romans 6:23), the same penalty God assured Adam and Eve would be theirs if they ate the forbidden fruit.
    Ezekiel states clearly that "the soul that sinneth, it shall die" (Ezekiel 18:4), and a plethora of other Bible verses and passages endorse this position. The prophet Malachi wrote that sinners would burn up as "stubble" and would become "ashes under the soles" of the feet of the redeemed (Malachi 4:1, 3). Even the final fate of Satan is explicitly pronounced in Ezekiel 28:18, where the Bible says that the enemy of souls will be reduced to ashes upon the "earth." Compare that with Psalm 37:10 ("For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be"), Psalm 68:2 ("as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God"), and other similar verses. Soon you get a clear picture that the purpose of the fires of hell is to eradicate sin and to expunge the universe of its awful presence.

Please read Jude 1:7 God is not speaking about a fire that will burn forever. He is speaking about a fire that have eternal consequences.

So the bottom line is that hell will not burn forever. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by davidandme View Post

Please read Jude 1:7 God is not speaking about a fire that will burn forever. He is speaking about a fire that have eternal consequences.

I really hope so because that would be horrible if they just burned up for eternity!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    I really hope so because that would be horrible if they just burned up for eternity!

Its sad Joe but not all Christians feel that way.

davidandme Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    I agree. Eternal hell is not consistent with the love of God.

davidandme Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphal View Post

I totally agree. God bless. I, sure don't want to end up there!

will hell be destroyed?
    hell will never be destroyed. it is as eternal as heaven, and so will its torments be. it's very disturbing, and i don't wish to think such a frightening reality could exist, but it's what scripture teaches. to say that it will be destroyed, or that hell is not eternal, is not biblical.

"For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves." (col 1:13)

hell is satan's eternal dominion.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    hell will never be destroyed. it is as eternal as heaven, and so will its torments be. it's very disturbing, and i don't wish to think such a frightening reality could exist, but it's what scripture teaches. to say that it will be destroyed, or that hell is not eternal, is not biblical.

"For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves." (col 1:13)

Can you prove any of this biblically? It seems to me that this is more a cultural understanding than a biblical one.

"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire." If hell will not be destroyed by the lake of fire then neither will death.

We need a better understanding of the word "hell."

Quote Originally Posted by mikebr View Post
    Can you prove any of this biblically? It seems to me that this is more a cultural understanding than a biblical one.

"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire." If hell will not be destroyed by the lake of fire then neither will death.

We need a better understanding of the word "hell."
    i believe this is indeed more of a cultural understanding than a biblical one. humans do not want to accept the hard truth that there is a place of eternal torment, so instead they produce human doctrine based upon their own denial.

as for scriptures, i think the bible is quite clear on this subject:

Matt 25:41: "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."

Mark 9:43-48: "And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched."

satan is not going to be utterly destroyed and annihilated - he would be glad if that were the case. instead, scripture says he will be tormented for all eternity in the fire that shall never be quenched, and where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. so will be the dire fate of all those who are not saved through jesus christ.

davidandme Guest
    i believe this is indeed more of a cultural understanding than a biblical one. humans do not want to accept the hard truth that there is a place of eternal torment, so instead they produce human doctrine based upon their own denial.

Matt 25:41: "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."

Mark 9:43-48: "And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched."

satan is not going to be utterly destroyed and annihilated - he would be glad if that were the case. instead, scripture says he will be tormented for all eternity in the fire that shall never be quenched, and where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. so will be the dire fate of all those who are not saved through jesus christ.
    The major missunderstanding with the topic of hell is the word forever and eternal. Let's see what does the Bible means by these words.

Interestingly, it was the devil who was first to suggest that sinners would not die (Genesis 3:4). A hell where sinners never perish would prove the devil right and would make God, who told Eve she would "surely die" as a result of transgression (Genesis 2:17),

Please read Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. God is not speaking about a fire that will burn forever. He is speaking about a fire that have eternal consequences. Is Sodom and Gomorrha still burning today?

satan is not going to be utterly destroyed and annihilated - he would be glad if that were the case. instead,
    scripture says he will be tormented for all eternity in the fire that shall never be quenched, and where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. so will be the dire fate of all those who are not saved through jesus christ.
    Your two quotes in red are contrary to one another. Both cannot be true.

Have you ever heard the term Gehenna? Care to expound on you ideas about it.

Wouldn't hurt to read Daveandme's post and tell us your thoughts on what it says.

Thread Information