cure-real

Thread: Looking for a better Bible version.

Looking for a better Bible version.

Is there a good (more to the literal) Bible version which uses the tetra gram, “YHWH” for “God” and “Yeshua” (or similar Aramaic spelling) for “Jesus”?

I’d also like something that is more specific than just constantly using “Lord”.

Of course, I’m NOT looking for ‘PC’ non specific gender usage J - but something that’s a bit more readable than KJV.
    I can deal with the formal “Thee” and Thou”, but would like to dispense with “sayith” and “ wouldest”.

I started really studying the Bible with the NASB. I liked the accuracy.
    I decided to get the NIV, when I had to do some public reading. It flowed better than the NASB.

Now, I’m ready to get back to accuracy for my own study.
    …an upgrade from the NASB.

Thanks,
    Richard

Blog Entries
    NASB has some issues, but it's still the best I can find, other than a Greek New Testament or a Hebrew Tenach.

NIV is a commentary, not Scripture.

CJB (Complete Jewish Bible) uses the real name of Jesus, but most Hebrew based bibles use "Adonai" (LORD) to refer to God. Although, like NASB, David Stern has 'flavored' his translation, and a few times this has changed some important context.

I realize it's tedious, but I would suggest using a concordance with every verse, and studying some keywords translated from Hebrew to Greek in the Septuagint, like "shadows". It can be very revealing.

Emanate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard H View Post
    Is there a good (more to the literal) Bible version which uses the tetra gram, “YHWH” for “God” and “Yeshua” (or similar Aramaic spelling) for “Jesus”?

I’d also like something that is more specific than just constantly using “Lord”.

Of course, I’m NOT looking for ‘PC’ non specific gender usage J - but something that’s a bit more readable than KJV.
    I can deal with the formal “Thee” and Thou”, but would like to dispense with “sayith” and “ wouldest”.

I started really studying the Bible with the NASB. I liked the accuracy.
    I decided to get the NIV, when I had to do some public reading. It flowed better than the NASB.

Now, I’m ready to get back to accuracy for my own study.
    …an upgrade from the NASB.

Thanks,
    Richard
    You might try the Complete Jewish Bible. Though it does follow the common rabbinc teaching of substiting Lord or Adonai in place of The Name. It does use Yeshua.

Emanate Guest
    If you want a Torah you should try The Five Books of Moses by Everett Fox. Beautifully written translation of the Hebrew Text. It uses the name YHWH. My favorite thing about it is that it does not come with any Rabbinic commentary. It is only the Word of YHWH.

Eaglenester Guest
    I'll give you some other sources a bit later - no time right now.

One is The Hebraic-Roots version Scriptures from Institute for Scripture Reasearch

http://www.isr-messianic.org/pubs/hrv.shtml

Contains a WEALTH of info.

Thanks for all the input! ‘Keep it coming. J

I’ve playfully thought of getting a new NASB and some whiteout. LOL
    A concordance is always a good thing.

ON Emmitt Fox:
    I found, his book on the Beatitudes in my Grandmother’s library. Interesting reading, but I dunno about his “scientific” (not scientology or christian science - I think) approach to prayer.
    I was quite astounded to find it with her other books – as she was a staunch Catholic (even pre-Vatican2) who would now be over 120 if she were alive.

You can find “The Beatitudes” on Google books – ‘much better than actually buying it.

Thread Information