cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B.C.E. or B.C.

B.C.E. or B.C.

Am I the only person that the term B.C.E. and the term C.E. bother?
    I see the use of the terms Before Common Era and Common era as nothing but an attempt to remove mention of our Lord and Savior from yet another area of public life. When I was educated, the dates were B.C. and A.D. Before Christ and Anno Domini (year of our Lord). What really troubles me is that now I see Christians participating in the usage of the terms B.C.E. and C.E. Do Christians so easily forget their Savior that they participate in this humanistic abomination?
    It is most essential that we educate our children on the proper use of the calendar, not the modern humanistic calendar that attempts to remove all mention of our Savior from public life.

I find it very irritating as well. I look forward to the day that we're all using the letters ASC (After Second Coming).
    ----------------------------------------------
    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

I'm irritated by this and "Happy Holidays" as well. I've decided I'm going to try and use "Happy holidays" for every holiday. Looks like Halloween is coming up. Happy holidays!

I've read that the terms BCE and CE were adopted so as not to offend anyone by BC or AD, as these terms are based on the birth of Jesus.
    BTW, if I don't get the chance later on,

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    Am I the only person that the term B.C.E. and the term C.E. bother?
    I see the use of the terms Before Common Era and Common era as nothing but an attempt to remove mention of our Lord and Savior from yet another area of public life. When I was educated, the dates were B.C. and A.D. Before Christ and Anno Domini (year of our Lord). What really troubles me is that now I see Christians participating in the usage of the terms B.C.E. and C.E. Do Christians so easily forget their Savior that they participate in this humanistic abomination?
    It is most essential that we educate our children on the proper use of the calendar, not the modern humanistic calendar that attempts to remove all mention of our Savior from public life.
    I'm taking a "Formation of Judaic Heritage" course at a state funded university. I've actually got an exam in two hours.. My Prof. looks for anything that can be interpreted to discredit Scripture in the Old Testament. Also, the inflection in his voice rises each time he says "bc E" as if to make a point that he has no regard for Christ. God is answering prayers in this class though. He brought me a strong Christian classmate that goes to my church and is involved in ministry, as well as locked the prof.'s office so that we couldn't have class when I prayed that he would not be able to lecture that day. Sure enough I walk in and the Prof. cancels class because he can't teach without his materials. Maybe one day my Prof. will be saying C.L.J. (Come Lord Jesus!)

Blog Entries
    I'm used to both (B.C/A.D as well as B.C.E/C.E) and the "newer" terms don't bother me. To me, they're another way of saying the same thing, in less specific terms. After all, when MUST "before common era" end and "common era" begin? Christ. He's still the one we're dividing our time around, even if people don't say it out loud.

Here's a cute story: my little cousin was writing a History report, and she wrote "BCE" after a year. To check that she knew what it meant, her teacher asked "What DOES BCE stand for?" and my cousin responded with "Before Christ's Era!" with this big grin on her face..... haha. Too cute.
    -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
    It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
    So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
    We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
    Warren Barfield

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCat View Post
    I'm used to both (B.C/A.D as well as B.C.E/C.E) and the "newer" terms don't bother me. To me, they're another way of saying the same thing, in less specific terms. After all, when MUST "before common era" end and "common era" begin? Christ. He's still the one we're dividing our time around, even if people don't say it out loud.
    Just as "happy holidays" is an attempt to take Christ out of Christmas, "C.E." and "B.C.E." are attempts to remove Christ from our Calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCat View Post

Here's a cute story: my little cousin was writing a History report, and she wrote "BCE" after a year. To check that she knew what it meant, her teacher asked "What DOES BCE stand for?" and my cousin responded with "Before Christ's Era!" with this big grin on her face..... haha. Too cute.
    It is amazing that this attempt to make the terms more secular were more lazy than anything else. As you said, the two lines of thought (BC/BCE and AD/CE) both revolve around the supposed birth of Christ. Is this common to, say, Islam who begin their calendar with Muhammand? How about Judaism which begins back with Moses? How about Eastern philosophies? It is not common to any group of people except Christians. Secularists should have looked to some point during the Enlightenment to really make the statement they were going for. I find it ironic nonetheless that they stick with the Gregorian calendar without being able to admit that Christ really at the center of history.

This is of course ignoring the plain fact that Jesus was born 4-6 BC, and that all calendars we use are screwed up over this simple fact. It's not really fair to use BC since Christ was in existence before the BC-AD switchover. Unless we want to imply that Christ only became Lord sometime around the age of 6. Which of course is extremely wrong.
    ~Clay

It upsets me more to see fellow Christians getting so worked up over something so minor.

Many (most) people are unsaved. It's truly a terrible thing, but we have been blessed/cursed with free will, as the Lord saw fit. We should not try to enforce our beliefs on others, even if we are right.

And because not everyone thinks that Christ is as important as he is, we don't have a need or reason to use his name in public classrooms.

It's really the best way to go about things. How would you feel if we used Muhammad's name? We have no right to claim our beliefs should be catered to more than someone else's.

And obviously they're not going to change the calendar to further differentiate ourselves from religion in class, that's irrational in every sense.

I like that... Before Christ's Era/Christ's Era :-)

I prefer BC/AD. I don't want dd to be ignorant in the new terms, I'll teach both to her. But I'll probably use BC/AD most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Lane View Post
    It upsets me more to see fellow Christians getting so worked up over something so minor. We have no right to claim our beliefs should be catered to more than someone else's.
    Are you saved, by chance?

Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven?

If so, what is this talk of essentially wanting to give equal time to heretical, religious faiths? That's the humanist way of doing things, not the Christian method. We have every right to want the name of Christ proclaimed above all other names because it IS the name above all names. Anything less is putting the reality of the Spiritual world in second place behind this temporary, physical world in order to make people more comfortable and not challenge their beliefs...

Rather them uncomfortable now than uncomfortable in hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Lane View Post
    It upsets me more to see fellow Christians getting so worked up over something so minor.

Many (most) people are unsaved. It's truly a terrible thing, but we have been blessed/cursed with free will, as the Lord saw fit. We should not try to enforce our beliefs on others, even if we are right.

And because not everyone thinks that Christ is as important as he is, we don't have a need or reason to use his name in public classrooms.

It's really the best way to go about things. How would you feel if we used Muhammad's name? We have no right to claim our beliefs should be catered to more than someone else's.

And obviously they're not going to change the calendar to further differentiate ourselves from religion in class, that's irrational in every sense.
    This nation was founded as a Christian nation. We were not founded as a Muslim nation. Go back and read our founding documents.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorren View Post
    I like that... Before Christ's Era/Christ's Era :-)

I prefer BC/AD. I don't want dd to be ignorant in the new terms, I'll teach both to her. But I'll probably use BC/AD most of the time.
    The "c" in modern text books means "common" not "christian."

Reynolds, I assure you you're not the only person bothered by BCE/CE (there's also BP- before present). As an ancient history student at uni, I deal with these dates almost daily. I can see why it's been put forward; because not everyone is Christian. Fine, but the problem is BCE/CE are still dated from the same time as BC/AD- i.e. the birth of Christ. So at the end of the day, it doesn't achieve much!

I'm a student at ASU and my professors when dealing with history always use BCE. I don't care what they think... When I speak or turn my papers it's always "B.C."

Thread Information