cure-real
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Forgiveness of sins

Forgiveness of sins

This may be an easy question, but I've heard from time-to-time pastors say (when someone is saved) "...your sins are forgiven, past, present and future..." Can anyone point me to some scriptures that support that? God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by kkeller View Post
    This may be an easy question, but I've heard from time-to-time pastors say (when someone is saved) "...your sins are forgiven, past, present and future..." Can anyone point me to some scriptures that support that? God bless.
    Rom 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

I hope that helps.

God bless you!!

Firstfruits

Quote Originally Posted by kkeller View Post
    I would say 2/3rds of that statement is true the past and present part anyway but not future. We see that our sins are washed away once we are baptized Acts 22:16... however if we sin after we have become a child of God we need to repent and pray for forgiveness.

Acts 8:18-22 - we Simon who obeyed the gospel earlier in the chapter thinks he can buy the gift of God.

" 18And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, 19Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. 20But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. 21Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God. 22Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee."

Notice verse 22 he is told to repent and pray for forgiveness... if "past, present, and future" sins was forgiven why would he shouldn't have to do anything...

Also notice if we don't repent of our sins God will not forgive us... nor will we be forgiven if we don't forgive others. Mark 11:25-27
    Isaiah 6:8 "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" We should always be willing to do God's bidding, seek ye first the kingdom of God.

I use Linux because I don't like Windows

Blog Entries
    According to Acts, Peter and Paul preached forgiveness of sins (without distinction of past, present, or future) in his Gentile ministry.

"All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."
    Acts 10:43, Peter's words to a Gentile convert Cornelius

"Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses."
    Acts 13:38,39, Paul to the Pisidian Antiochenes

No completely explicit reference to sins past, present, and future, but also there was no distinction between when sins were committed. One could argue past sins was meant in 13:39 from the tense in "everything you could not be justified from." Future sins may be a problematic claim if the motive of the sinner is taken into consideration i.e. one using this forgiveness as one would use a "Get out of Jail Free" card in Monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by Biastai View Post
    According to Acts, Peter and Paul preached forgiveness of sins (without distinction of past, present, or future) in his Gentile ministry.

"All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."
    Acts 10:43, Peter's words to a Gentile convert Cornelius

"Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses."
    Acts 13:38,39, Paul to the Pisidian Antiochenes

No completely explicit reference to sins past, present, and future, but also there was no distinction between when sins were committed. One could argue past sins was meant in 13:39 from the tense in "everything you could not be justified from." Future sins may be a problematic claim if the motive of the sinner is taken into consideration i.e. one using this forgiveness as one would use a "Get out of Jail Free" card in Monopoly.
    What about this scripture?

Rom 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Firstfruits

1 Jn 1:8-10
    8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
    NKJV
    Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
    23 Guard your heart above all else,
    for it determines the course of your life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    What about this scripture?

Firstfruits
    Yep, that would definitely cover past sins. Future sin is the most troublesome area. The present is a single point in time, so I don't think anyone really talks about present sins i.e. the sin one commits right this moment? Eliminating the present, we're left with the 2 time spans past and future. Teachings concerning the future sins are a tricky area because of the different ways the teachings can be received. We don't want to encourage any indulgent fits of licentiousness that may seem permitted due to perceived guarantees of pardon.
    Last edited by Biastai; Oct 22nd 2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: grammar
    "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?'
    And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'"
    Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Biastai View Post
    Yep, that would definitely cover past sins. Future sin is the most troublesome area. The present is a single point in time, so I don't think anyone really talks about present sins i.e. the sin one commits right this moment? Eliminating the present, we're left with the 2 time spans past and future. Teachings concerning the future sins are a tricky area because of the different ways the teachings can be received. We don't want to encourage any indulgent fits of licentiousness that may seem permitted due to perceived guarantees of pardon.
    One of the ways that I deal with questions like this is to put my life through the filter of what the Scripture says. Now I know that when I came to the Lord and was born again, there was a difference in how I felt. I knew there was a change in me, I felt clean, the burden lifted from me.

However as time went by and I had not shaken off all my old ways, I fell back into sins of habit. I learned that when that happened, some of the clean and unburdened free feeling faded away from me. I also learned that I could trust 1 Jn 1:8-10.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
    NKJV

I learned that when I sinned and felt the guilt, that it was right and good for me to go to Him in prayer, confess the sin, ask forgiveness and also ask for help that I not stumble into the same thing again.

Over time, my stumbles got less and less. Nevertheless, I am still in the world, I still walk in the world, and sometimes I stumble in what I used to call "small things." So I still find that there are times I need to confess sin and ask forgiveness and be cleansed by Him.

I think the scene in the upper room is a picture of what this looks like for me on a daily basis. I walk in the world, I get my feet dirty, they need to be washed. I had my full bath already (salvation) but I need to wash my feet.

Jn 13:3-17
    3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, 4 rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. 5 After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. 6 Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, "Lord, are You washing my feet?"
    7 Jesus answered and said to him, "What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this."
    8 Peter said to Him, "You shall never wash my feet!"
    Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me."
    9 Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!"
    10 Jesus said to him, "He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you." 11 For He knew who would betray Him; therefore He said, "You are not all clean."
    12 So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? 13 You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. 16 Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. 17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.
    NKJV
    Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
    23 Guard your heart above all else,
    for it determines the course of your life.

thank you Firstfruits, Uric3, Roadwarrior, Biastai, for your responses. My question is based on what I think I've heard in the past and for some reason I was thinking about it today. I was sure there was no distinction of forgiveness of present or future sins...just wanted some clarification, that's the beauty of this board!! Praise the Lord! God bless you all.

Hi KKeller,

This is quite a complex question becuase it deals with :

1) how sin entered the world.
    2) The old testmanent law
    3) Jesus being the fulfilment of that law and the start of a new covenant and priesthood.
    4) Jesus Baptism
    5) Jesus paying for our sins once and for all, for all humanity.

In my opinion, the bible says and most churches believe, that Jesus died for our sins once and for all, for all of humanity, who choose to accept his salvation and follow him.

(Rom 5:17 NIV) For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.

(Rom 6:23 NIV) For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

(Rom 6:10 NIV) The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

To put the other side of the discussion, Hebrews challenges us on the subject of our sins being paid once and for all (past, present and future).

(Heb 10:26 NIV) If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, (27) but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. (28) Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.

(29) How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

(30) For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."

1 John encourages us to walk in the light after repentence.

(1 John 1:6 NIV) If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.

(1 John 1:7 NIV) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

Chad.
    Last edited by chad; Oct 23rd 2008 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added verses in Hebrews.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Hi KKeller,

This is quite a complex question becuase it deals with :

1) how sin entered the world.
    2) The old testmanent law
    3) Jesus being the fulfilment of that law and the start of a new covenant and priesthood.
    4) Jesus Baptism
    5) Jesus paying for our sins once and for all, for all humanity.

In my opinion, the bible says and most churches believe, that Jesus died for our sins once and for all, for all of humanity, who choose to accept his salvation and follow him.

(Rom 5:17 NIV) For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.

(Rom 6:23 NIV) For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

(Rom 6:10 NIV) The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

I guess the question your asking is can we sin, after we have repented of our sins Does our repentance cover all past, present and future sins?

1 John has some interesting verses, which challenge us to think about walking in the light after repentence.

(1 John 1:6 NIV) If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.

(1 John 1:7 NIV) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

I guess a good question to ask is : Are we forgiven for our sins (present and future), if we deliberately and knowingly sin after repentance?

Chad

From this scripture; Lk 7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. Lk 7:48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
    Jesus forgave her sins up to the point of her forgiveness.

When Jesus forgives he does not do so expecting you to continue to sin after you have been forgiven.

Jn 5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

Jn 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin No more.

God bless you!!

Firstfruits

Hi First Fruits,

When Jesus forgives he does not do so expecting you to continue to sin after you have been forgiven.

Jn 5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

Jn 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin No more.

Yes that is indeed a challenging question. So with the verses shared, it seems to imply that we can sin - even after repentence.

So does that mean forgiveness does not cover our future sins?

Chad.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Hi First Fruits,

Yes that is indeed a challenging question. So with the verses shared, it seems to imply that we can sin - even after repentence.

So does that mean forgiveness does not cover our future sins?

Chad.
    When our sins are forgiven, we are no longer unrighteous before God, why would a righteous person need to be forgiven.

Mt 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

In Gods eyes we are either righteous or unrighteous.

Firstfruits

Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    When our sins are forgiven, we are no longer unrighteous before God, why would a righteous person need to be forgiven.
    Are you saying that Christians do not need to be forgiven after they are saved? What about this verse?

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 Jn 1:9 NKJV

And in case you thought that verse refers to conversion, it doesn't (even though I was converted through it!) - the Greek tense is present continuous, so it clearly has to be an ongoing thing. Jesus teaches the same thing here:-

Jesus said to him, “He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; Jn 13:10a NKJV

When we are saved, we are washed by Christ's blood - through His word - yet we still sin - and need to have our "feet washed", spiritually speaking - even though we are completely clean spiritually in an absolute sense.

Mt 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

In Gods eyes we are either righteous or unrighteous.

Firstfruits
    Of course we are either righteous or unrighteous, but you are confusing the fact that we are COUNTED righteous (even when we are not in ACTUALITY yet, because we are sinners) with Jesus' clear sarcasm about the religious leaders who THOUGHT they were righteous - that is clearly the "righteous" that Jesus is referring to here - as in the preceding phrase "those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick".. Are you seriously suggesting that, once we are saved, we have no need of Jesus?!?!

I alos note you believe that our future sins were not forgiven by Christ - so if we are righteous when we become Christians and don't need to be forgiven, are you saying thart a Christian never sins after they are saved? Seriously?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by 9Marksfan View Post
    Are you saying that Christians do not need to be forgiven after they are saved? What about this verse?

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 Jn 1:9 NKJV

And in case you thought that verse refers to conversion, it doesn't (even though I was converted through it!) - the Greek tense is present continuous, so it clearly has to be an ongoing thing. Jesus teaches the same thing here:-

Jesus said to him, “He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; Jn 13:10a NKJV

When we are saved, we are washed by Christ's blood - through His word - yet we still sin - and need to have our "feet washed", spiritually speaking - even though we are completely clean spiritually in an absolute sense.

Of course we are either righteous or unrighteous, but you are confusing the fact that we are COUNTED righteous (even when we are not in ACTUALITY yet, because we are sinners) with Jesus' clear sarcasm about the religious leaders who THOUGHT they were righteous - that is clearly the "righteous" that Jesus is referring to here - as in the preceding phrase "those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick".. Are you seriously suggesting that, once we are saved, we have no need of Jesus?!?!

I alos note you believe that our future sins were not forgiven by Christ - so if we are righteous when we become Christians and don't need to be forgiven, are you saying thart a Christian never sins after they are saved? Seriously?!?!
    When our sins are forgiven then in Gods eyes we are made righteous and that is as long as we remain in Christ.

When Jesus forgives us of our sins he does not expect us to sin, not that we cannot sin.

Rom 4:7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

1 Jn 2:12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.

We are not expected to sin but if we sin we need to be forgiven.

1 Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

1 Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

I hope that answers your questions.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Thread Information