cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we have our own personal angels?

Do we have our own personal angels?

Do we have our own personal angels that watch over us?

We know in the old testament that they had Angels over regions. In the New Testament (book of Revelation), there was an Angel assigned for each of the 7 churches.

There are accounts of Angels helping people in the old and New Testament.

The question I have is - do we have our own personal angels, or is it only a few that do?

Thanks

Chad

I wouldn't rule out the idea that guardian angels are assigned to believers:

25 He said, "Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods." (Daniel 3:25, NIV)

According to John, this was the preincarnate Christ: Revelation 1, esp. verse 13

Daniel answered, "O king, live forever! My God sent his angel, and he shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me, because I was found innocent in his sight. Nor have I ever done any wrong before you, O king." (Daniel 6:21-22, NIV)

They ministered to and assisted Jesus:

Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him. (Matthew 4:11, NIV)

At once the Spirit sent him out into the desert, and he was in the desert forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him. (Mark 1:12-13, NIV)

Jesus cited Psalm 91:11,12 when tempted by Satan to jump from the pinnacle of the temple, which says: For it is written:
    " 'He will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you carefully;
    they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'"

There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. (Matthew 28:2, NIV)

He then added, "I tell you the truth, you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."(John 1:51, NIV)

They apparently watch over believers

See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven. (Matthew 18:10, NIV)

An angel released Peter from prison:

7Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him up. "Quick, get up!" he said, and the chains fell off Peter's wrists.

8Then the angel said to him, "Put on your clothes and sandals." And Peter did so. "Wrap your cloak around you and follow me," the angel told him. 9Peter followed him out of the prison, but he had no idea that what the angel was doing was really happening; he thought he was seeing a vision. 10They passed the first and second guards and came to the iron gate leading to the city. It opened for them by itself, and they went through it. When they had walked the length of one street, suddenly the angel left him. (Acts 12:7-10, NIV)

15"You're out of your mind," they told her. When she kept insisting that it was so, they said, "It must be his angel." (Acts 12:15, NIV)

Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?(Hebrews 1:14, NIV)

Hi Scourage,

The reason that I ask, is that I heard a preacher - preach that it is not biblical that each believer has thier own personal angel watching over them and there was no bases in the word of God for this belief.

But I was reading Acts 12:15 last night and came across a verse which says otherwise.

In Acts 12:15, When peter was released from Prison by an Angel and he went to Mary's house.

(Acts 12:7 NIV) Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him up. "Quick, get up!" he said, and the chains fell off Peter's wrists.

(Acts 12:8 NIV) Then the angel said to him, "Put on your clothes and sandals." And Peter did so. "Wrap your cloak around you and follow me," the angel told him.

(Acts 12:9 NIV) Peter followed him out of the prison, but he had no idea that what the angel was doing was really happening; he thought he was seeing a vision.

(Acts 12:10 NIV) They passed the first and second guards and came to the iron gate leading to the city. It opened for them by itself, and they went through it. When they had walked the length of one street, suddenly the angel left him.

(Acts 12:15 NIV) "You're out of your mind," they told her. When she kept insisting that it was so, they said, "It must be his angel."

In my NIV notes, it says: that 'his angel' reflects the belief that everyone has a personal angel who ministers to him. (mt 18:10; Heb 1:14) adding the idea that such an angel ocasionally showed himself and that his appearance resembled the person under his care.

I was just wanting to know what others believed about having guardian angels.

Thanks

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by scourge39 View Post
    I wouldn't rule out the idea that guardian angels are assigned to believers:

25 He said, "Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods." (Daniel 3:25, NIV)

According to John, this was the preincarnate Christ: Revelation 1, esp. verse 13

Daniel answered, "O king, live forever! My God sent his angel, and he shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me, because I was found innocent in his sight. Nor have I ever done any wrong before you, O king." (Daniel 6:21-22, NIV)

They ministered to and assisted Jesus:

Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him. (Matthew 4:11, NIV)

At once the Spirit sent him out into the desert, and he was in the desert forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him. (Mark 1:12-13, NIV)

Jesus cited Psalm 91:11,12 when tempted by Satan to jump from the pinnacle of the temple, which says: For it is written:
    " 'He will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you carefully;
    they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'"

There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. (Matthew 28:2, NIV)

He then added, "I tell you the truth, you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."(John 1:51, NIV)

They apparently watch over believers

See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven. (Matthew 18:10, NIV)

An angel released Peter from prison:

7Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him up. "Quick, get up!" he said, and the chains fell off Peter's wrists.

8Then the angel said to him, "Put on your clothes and sandals." And Peter did so. "Wrap your cloak around you and follow me," the angel told him. 9Peter followed him out of the prison, but he had no idea that what the angel was doing was really happening; he thought he was seeing a vision. 10They passed the first and second guards and came to the iron gate leading to the city. It opened for them by itself, and they went through it. When they had walked the length of one street, suddenly the angel left him. (Acts 12:7-10, NIV)

15"You're out of your mind," they told her. When she kept insisting that it was so, they said, "It must be his angel." (Acts 12:15, NIV)

Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?(Hebrews 1:14, NIV)

We've got the Holy Spirit, would an angel be more powerful or protective? or does God need angels to do things that He himself doesn't have time to do?

Blog Entries

I would say yes..

Based on Psalms 34:7

34:7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.

Encampes means To set up camp or live in a camp.

Psalm 91:11
    For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

charge one of its many meaning is to impute; ascribe the responsibility for

So based on these two verses I would say yes we do have our own angels.
    I will sing of your works & your mighty ways
    My Rock & My Salvation
    Who will hide me in the time of trouble?
    Who is like the lord, so full of gace and truth!

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Do we have our own personal angels that watch over us?

We know in the old testament that they had Angels over regions. In the New Testament (book of Revelation), there was an Angel assigned for each of the 7 churches.

There are accounts of Angels helping people in the old and New Testament.

The question I have is - do we have our own personal angels, or is it only a few that do?
    :
    Hi Chad - in case you are interested - I wrote a blog on angels. I think you might find some of your anwers there (just click on my blog entries).
    God bless.
    Jeremiah 29:11
    "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB)

Hi paidforinfull,

I read the blogs and they are interesting. I just wanted to get your opinion on something.

In Job 38:6-7 it mentions some creatures called the morning stars.

(Job 38:6 NIV) On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone--(Job 38:7 NIV) while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

Do you think that the morning stars are a class of Angels?

Some believe that Isaiah 14:12, is refering to satan. And I have heard some people say that lucifer/satan was in charge of music in the heavenlies (although I don't know what verse in the bible refers to this.)

(Isa 14:12 NIV) How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!

So if in Isaiah 14:12 Morning star relates to satan who was in charge of music (I guess that could include singing), could possibly mean that morning stars were a class of angels?

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by paidforinfull View Post
    Hi Chad - in case you are interested - I wrote a blog on angels. I think you might find some of your anwers there (just click on my blog entries).
    God bless.

Hi paidforinfull,

I read the blogs and they are interesting. I just wanted to get your opinion on something.

In Job 38:6-7 it mentions some creatures called the morning stars.

(Job 38:6 NIV) On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone--(Job 38:7 NIV) while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

Do you think that the morning stars are a class of Angels?

Some believe that Isaiah 14:12, is refering to satan. And I have heard some people say that lucifer/satan was in charge of music in the heavenlies (although I don't know what verse in the bible refers to this.)

(Isa 14:12 NIV) How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!

So if in Isaiah 14:12 Morning star relates to satan who was in charge of music (I guess that could include singing), could possibly mean that morning stars were a class of angels?

Chad
    Hi Chad - yes, this can be somewhat confusing. I will explain as best I can what I believe the 'Morning Stars' to be.

Note - The word 'Stars' refers to angels - Rev. 1:16-20

Job 38:7 certainly distinguishes between Morning Stars and Angels, therefore they can't be the same beings.

'Morning Stars' are a of a higher order of heavenly beings - higher than the angels (Seraphs, Cherubs, Thrones etc.).

If you read Isa 14:12 in conjunction with Eze 28:14-16, it becomes clear that satan (a morning star) used to be a guardian Cherub in the Garden of Eden, and not an angel. (I believe the second part of Isa 14 refers to satan - the spirit which sat behind and influenced Lucifer, the King of Tyre.)

Jesus is referred to as the 'Bright Morning Star' in Rev. 22:16 - with other words, Jesus is set over the Morning Stars: He is the brightest of all.

God bless.
    Last edited by paidforinfull; Nov 23rd 2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Edited for clarification
    "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB)

Quote Originally Posted by mikebr View Post
    We've got the Holy Spirit, would an angel be more powerful or protective? or does God need angels to do things that He himself doesn't have time to do?
    It's not a matter of the Spirit being more/less powerful. All of the passages I cited in my previous post make it clear that angels can protect and help believers. The Gospels make it plain that they ministered to Jesus himself, who is God. Are we somehow above being ministered to by angels in similar ways? At the beginning of Jesus' temptation, the Gospels explicitly tell us that Jesus was 'full of the Spirit' when he entered the wilderness. Yet, Matthew and Mark mention his being ministered to by angels after the temptation. Scripture gives a consistent view of angels throughout as divine messengers and protectors. To reject that is to call the Spirit who inspired Scripture a liar. Just because we live in a world that worships anything and everyone except Christ, including angels, there's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. God has the right to delegate some authority to angels if he chooses. He could evangelize the world. Yet, he's chosen the preaching of the Gospel by humans as his ordained means of doing that. As long as we refrain from worshiping angels (cf. Colossians 2:18; Revelation 19:10; 22:8-9), they should be given their proper place in our understanding of God's created order.

Hi Paidforinfull,

I'm not sure that Ezekiel 28:14-16 refers to Satan.

Chad

Hi Chad - yes, this can be somewhat confusing. I will explain as best I can what I believe the 'Morning Stars' to be.

Note - The word 'Stars' refers to angels - Rev. 1:16-20

Job 38:7 certainly distinguishes between Morning Stars and Angels, therefore they can't be the same beings.

'Morning Stars' are a of a higher order of heavenly beings - higher than the angels (Seraphs, Cherubs, Thrones etc.).

If you read Isa 14:12 in conjunction with Eze 28:14-16, it becomes clear that satan (a morning star) used to be a guardian Cherub in the Garden of Eden, and not an angel. (I believe the second part of Isa 14 refers to satan - the spirit which sat behind and influenced Lucifer, the King of Tyre.)

God bless.

Hi Paidforinfull,

I'm not sure that Ezekiel 28:14-16 refers to Satan.

Chad
    Hi Chad - yes, unfortunately even very learned scholars seem to disagree upon the interpretation of these specific scriptures. I have studied this subject quite extensively, and I have come to the conclusion that these verses do, indeed refer to Satan.

I suppose this is something you could investigate for yourself, and then decide whether you agree with this interpretation or not. The reason I have made such an extensive study of what the Scriptures teach about demons/fallen angels and even God's angels is that I come from a background where I have been heavily involved in the occult - I have seen demons, heard them, felt them and smelled them. They are indeed very real creatures.

(I have no fear demons at all, though, since I know Who Christ is, and who I am in Him: they have no power over me. I have been redeemed by our Lord Jesus, and am now under His protection. Praise God!)

May God give you His understanding on this subject should you decide to pursue it further.

God bless.
    Last edited by paidforinfull; Nov 24th 2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling error

Yes, I agree not everyone can agree on what specific scriptures mean.

Anyway back to the topic. I guess we have the holy spirit who ministers to us as well as Angels.

(Heb 1:14 NIV) Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

Another question that I do have though, is what is the worship of Angels as in Col 2:18?

(Col 2:18 NIV) Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions.

Thanks

Chad.

Hi Chad - yes, unfortunately even very learned scholars seem to disagree upon the interpretation of these specific scriptures. I have studied this subject quite extensively, and I have come to the conclusion that these verses do, indeed refer to Satan.

May God give you His understanding on this subject should you decide to pursue it further.

God bless.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]

Another question that I do have though, is what is the worship of Angels as in Col 2:18?

(Col 2:18 NIV) Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions.
    People have been worshipping angels for thousands of years (they make idols out of them), but God absolutely forbids this practice. Angels are not gods, and they have limited powers and limited knowledge. God alone is to be worshipped.

As example: when I was still a Pagan I would go to my backdoor every morning to greet the 'angel of the morning', and in the evening, I would greet the 'angel of the evening'. I even attended a strange kind of 'church' where we worshipped Prince Michael (the archangel), and used a sword to represent him (in the same way some people would use a crucifix today).

The Bible says (NIV): "At this I fell at his feet to worship him (the angel*). But he said to me, "Do not do it! I am a fellow-servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God!" (Re 19:10).

(*words in brackets added by me)

God bless.

Hi Paidforinfull,

Thanks, I understand now. I was reading Rev and this also speaks about it.

(Rev 9:20 NIV) The rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood--idols that cannot see or hear or walk.

God Bless

Chad.

People have been worshipping angels for thousands of years (they make idols out of them), but God absolutely forbids this practice. Angels are not gods, and they have limited powers and limited knowledge. God alone is to be worshipped.

As example: when I was still a Pagan I would go to my backdoor every morning to greet the 'angel of the morning', and in the evening, I would greet the 'angel of the evening'. I even attended a strange kind of 'church' where we worshipped Prince Michael (the archangel), and used a sword to represent him (in the same way some people would use a crucifix today).

The Bible says (NIV): "At this I fell at his feet to worship him (the angel*). But he said to me, "Do not do it! I am a fellow-servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God!" (Re 19:10).

(*words in brackets added by me)

God bless.

I have no personal testimony of this, but my mom told me of a time when I was a young teenager and we'd had a difficult and frightening evening that ended with a lot of prayer. The whole family slept in the same bedroom that night.

My mom told me that she woke up in the middle of the night and saw a man with a luminous appearance standing over me in the darkness. She said she felt a peace in her heart about this stranger, and somehow she knew that he was an angel who had always been a part of my life.

Just thought I'd share.

Thread Information