Thread: Fruit

Fruit

I'm going to begin buying more fruit and snacking on it throughout the day. The only fruit that I've been eating lately are apples, grapes, and oranges. But I also like bananas, peaches, pears and watermelons. I don't care much for fresh whole peaches, so I buy those in cans.

Those are the only fruits that I know I like. I know I don't like grapefruit and other melons like cantelope. I also don't like pineapple or any berries like strawberries, blue or black berries or cherries. I can't think of any other types of fruit so could someone tell me some more that they know.

How long does these fruits last before they get bad? Are there any ways that you can make them last longer? Like with grapes, I take them off of the stem and rise them off, then put them in a bowl in the refrigerator. I don't dry them off so they stay a little damp. This seemed to make them last longer. What about apples? Those seem to be what goes bad the most. I know bananas only stay good for a few days, which is why I don't buy them often. Is there a way to make them stay good longer?

What about serving sizes? Is a piece of fruit a serving? I thought I heard from somewhere that a banana is considered two servings?
    I'm wanting to start buying a weeks worth of fruit at a time since I'll probably only be going to town once a week. If even that often. What is the best way to make sure you get the freshs fruit?

Right now I fix an apple, orange and some grapes and put them together in a bowl and put in the refrigerator. I'll either snack on it throughout the day, but most of the time I will eat all of it at one setting. I would like to do this with all the fruit that I like and snack on it throughout the day. But I don't think it would work to mix some of the other fruits with the apples, oranges and grapes, especially not the bananas. I've tried that in the past and realized quickly that it doesn't take long for them to start turning brown.

I'm with you LBF. I gained a little over 5lbs since the Christmas season started. I have a really bad thing for sweets, so I might as well have good sweets.

I know people that freeze bananas They turn black on the outside but good on the inside. But I go to the store every couple of days for them, cause I eat one every morning.

Grapes are great frozen, especially in the summer.

Have you ever tried mango's? They are some like a peach. You have to eat them over a sink though, that's how juicy they are.

Have a great day!

Is there a way I can make apples last longer after I peel them and cut them up? I thought about putting them in a cold bowl of water and putting them in the refrigerator after I fix them to see how that would work. Right now I peel them, cut them up and put them together in a bowl with the grapes and oranges then put them in the refrigerator. But they begin to have brown spots on them by the time I eat them. I want to fix them before I go to bed or in the mornings instead of fixing them when I'm ready to eat one. I am more likely to eat them (all fruit) if I have it fixed ahead of time.

Also should I put apples in the drawer in the refrigerator instead of leaving them out on the counter until I'm ready to fix one?

If I'm not mistaken my mother would put lemon juice on apples to make them last longer, but that was many years ago. I don't remember if this was for a salad or what.

Have you thought about dried fruit? You can do this yourself. Try to google it and see what they have to say.

Have a great evening

Yes, if you put lemon juice on the apple slices, it keeps them from turning brown. I don't like to do that if I'm eating the slices plain, because the lemon juice makes it a little too tart for me.

It's hard to prepare fresh fruit too much ahead of time, in my opinion. I've found that even taking grapes off of the stems makes them go bad sooner than if I leave them on. One thing that I've started doing when I can get a good sale on frozen fruit is making smoothies. Sometimes I'll thaw them and eat them plain (mangos, berries, peaches), but I love a smoothie first thing in the morning.
    "I just like to smile! Smiling's my favorite!" - Buddy the Elf

My Blog

Pray for Mieke and Charles

Thread Information