cure-real

Thread: How many years from Adam to the flood?

How many years from Adam to the flood?

First of all, just so I'm not misunderstood, I know that at the birth of Christ we would start counting backwards to get to the actual date of Adam's first day on earth. So, even tho.. say 1 yr after Adam is on earth, it would actually be the yr 1, but since we're talking BC, we know that Adam wasn't on the earth just 1 yr prior to Christ's birth. for example, if it were 5000 yrs from Adam to Christ, then the yr Adam was first on earth would be the yr 5000. Hopefully everyone at least gets the picture that I understand that aspect of it anyway, or at least I think I do, lol.

What I'm wanting to know, how many yrs passed from the time that Adam was first on the earth, until the flood actually happened? Unless I'm mistaken, we only have Genesis 5 and 6 to base that conclusion on, right? Some say 4-6 thousand yrs. I'm interested to see how this figure can be derived from Genesis 5 and 6, because I don't come up anywhere close to those numbers when adding this up.
    Last edited by divaD; Jan 9th 2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Typos

Blog Entries
    begat, from STrong's:

H3205
    1)
    to bear, bring forth, beget, gender, travail

This came from the verses in Genesis.

G1080

1) of men who fathered children
    a) to be born
    b) to be begotten
    1) of women giving birth to children

This from Matthew's geneology.

How can it mean anything different when speaking of geneology?

Also, with those dates, where do you land when you get to the book of Haggai?
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0 View Post
    0………..11013B.C…..Adam Created
    130……..10883B.C…..Seth Born………..Gen 5:3
    235……..10778B.C…..Enas Born……….Gen 4:26
    1140……9873B.C……Cainan Born……..Gen 5:10
    2050……8963B.C……Mahalaleel Born…Gen 5:12
    2945……8068B.C……Jared Born……….Gen 5:15
    3907……7106B.C……Enoch Born………Gen 5:18
    4272……6741B.C……Methuselah Born...Gen 5:21
    5241……5772B.C……Lamech Born…….Gen 5:25
    5423……5590B.C……Noah Born……….Gen 5:28-29
    5925……5088B.C……Shem Born……….Gen 11:10-11
    6023……4990B.C……Flood Begins……..Gen 7:11
    6024……4989B.C……Flood Over……….Gen 8:13
    6025……4988B.C……Shem 100yrs old…Gen 11:10-11
    6373……4640B.C……Noah Dies………..Gen 9:29

Great question! Most people make the mistake of just adding the years together in gen 5 to come to some sort of calendar. The problem with that is that the people listed in Gen 5 and 11 are most of the time not father/son relationships. That’s what Bishop Ussher assumend when he came up with his famous calendar. The word begat is used I believe every time. So and so begat so and so. However just because someone was “begat” doesn’t mean that person was the direct son of the person who begat him. It could be a son, grandson, great grandson, etc.

Gen 11:12 And Arphaxad lived five and thirty years, and begat Salah

Was Salah an immediate son of Arphaxad? No. How do I know?

Luke 35-36 Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala, Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech

Cainan came between them. Cainan was the father of Sala, not Arphaxad. So “begat” just means a direct relative.

The only time “begat” is a father son relationship is when it is used with the phrase “called his name”. In todays time, when one is born the parents name their child. John had a son and called his name Joe. Same as back then. There is never, ever a time when that phrase is used and it not be a direct father/son relationship.

So Gen 5 and 11 must be read in light of the rest of the bible. Another point to note is this.

Gen 5:6-8 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos: And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.

Verses like this must be understood to say this. When Seth was 105, he gave birth to the descendant of Enos. After he begat his descendant he lived another 807 years. So when Seth died at 912 years old, Enos was born. Enos became the patriarch of the time period. I can prove this later. I’m just running out of time here.
    Interesting. I think something along these lines as well. I read the Genesis 5 genealogy as a list of notables who left their tribe many generations after the "begetter" lived, and became the patriarchs of a new tribes. Abraham follows the same pattern. He leaves his tribe to begin a new nation. He becomes patriarch and thus is never known as Abraham, son of Terah.
    "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?'
    And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'"
    Isaiah 6:8

However just because someone was “begat” doesn’t mean that person was the direct son of the person who begat him. It could be a son, grandson, great grandson, etc.
    Except... even if So-And-So didn't "beget" What's-His-Face directly, how do you account for the fact that it says So-And-So was X years old at the time What's-His-Face was begotten? Even if SAS is the grandfather of WHF, it still says that SAS was X years old at the time WHF was born.

bad data

Great question! Most people make the mistake of just adding the years together in gen 5 to come to some sort of calendar. The problem with that is that the people listed in Gen 5 and 11 are most of the time not father/son relationships. That’s what Bishop Ussher assumend when he came up with his famous calendar. The word begat is used I believe every time. So and so begat so and so. However just because someone was “begat” doesn’t mean that person was the direct son of the person who begat him. It could be a son, grandson, great grandson, etc.

Luke 35-36 Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala, Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech

Cainan came between them. Cainan was the father of Sala, not Arphaxad. So “begat” just means a direct relative.

The only time “begat” is a father son relationship is when it is used with the phrase “called his name”. In todays time, when one is born the parents name their child. John had a son and called his name Joe. Same as back then. There is never, ever a time when that phrase is used and it not be a direct father/son relationship.

So Gen 5 and 11 must be read in light of the rest of the bible. Another point to note is this.

Gen 5:6-8 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos: And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.

Verses like this must be understood to say this. When Seth was 105, he gave birth to the descendant of Enos. After he begat his descendant he lived another 807 years. So when Seth died at 912 years old, Enos was born. Enos became the patriarch of the time period. I can prove this later. I’m just running out of time here.
    HEEEElllllllloooooo ! this data is faulty I didn't check it all but stopped at the first error it says that it was 905 years between Enos and Cainan

but the Bible says

Ge 5:9And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan:

this is a asp. 800 yr error right here alone.
    Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Pastor Keith

Regardless if Mikey's data is wrong, it shows that the earth can not be any older than about 10k years. I don't think his genealogies are correct, but it definitely shows you cannot stretch thousands into millions.

Yukerboy Guest
    Before this breaks down to an old earth/young earth thing.

130 - Adam has Seth
    235 - Enosh was born
    325 - Kenan was born
    395 - Mahalalel was born
    460 - Jared was born
    622 - Enoch was born
    687 - Methuselah was born
    874 - Lamech was born
    1056 - Noah was born
    1656 - Noah was 600 years old when floodwaters hit earth.

As a sidenote, Methuselah lived 969 years, whoch would put him dying in the same year (perhaps not during, but the year) of the flood.

Hi Mikey0. As you probably know, the main reason for this thread originated from another thread. I simply saw it best to start a new thread instead of derailing the other one. I basically had some more questions pertaining to this topis, thus this thread.

Here's where I'm confused, and it does seem that you've somewhat explained this already, but I'm still confused.

If we know that Seth was born 130 yrs after Adam was created on this earth, and if we know Enos was born 105 yrs after Seth was born, so far making it 235 yrs since Adam, then why is there such a leap in time with Enos' son Cainan?

The text states: 9 And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan:

Isn't this the same format that we have used with the prev sons? If Enos was 90 yrs old when he begat Cainan, then how does that mean that Enos was really hundreds of yrs old, and not 90 yrs old as the text suggests?

I have a problem with that, what is to say that the names that are similar were not actually different people? There are two Enochs in that Genealogy too, one born from Cains branch and one born through seth's I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukerboy View Post
    As a sidenote, Methuselah lived 969 years, whoch would put him dying in the same year (perhaps not during, but the year) of the flood.
    The name Methuselah means "When he dies, it will come". Enoch was warned of God with the birth of this child. After Methuselah was born, Enoch walked with God.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries
    Strong's definition was made by man. We can't always trust it like we can the bible. So just because Strong's says that this and so is the definition of a word doesn't always make it so. HOWEVER it did say that it means "to bring forth".

The way the bible uses the word is like this. For example my great grandfather had 3 kids named (X, Y, and Z). When, lets say, he was 25 he had a child that was my grandfather (X). He died at the age of 75. My grandfather then had 4 children (A, B, C, D). One was my dad (A). Then my dad had me (Mikey0). The bible would write it like this.

When G.G.Granddad was 25 he begat Mikey0. He lived after he begat Mikey0 for 50 years and begat sons and daughters.

Why does the bible say it like this? Well, one to hide the truth of the calendars and two to tell confirm the genealogy. God makes sure we know that (using my example) Mikey0 was a direct descendant of GGGranddad by telling us that GGGranddad begat Mikey0 at 25 years of age. It doesn't mean I am the son of GGGranddad. It means I came forth from him. I couldn't have come forth from any of his other sons. The bible makes sure we know that at a certain age, a direct line going to me was born.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone. I tried to make it as simple as I could.
    Strong's is result of study of the ancient language, not scripture. Can't imagine the work that went into it. It boggles my mind. However, many times it can and does clarify scripture because we can understand what the word meant. Same way we grab for a dictionary.

I bolded the portion above to simply say that isn't true. Why the need to hide calendars? It's a measurement of years, simply put. That measurement of time is essential to unlocking many things in scripture. There is only truth, and no need to hide anything.

In the OT and during the life of Christ we know that the calendar was referred to in regards to sabbath, feasts, etc. It wasn't hidden. And, that calendar wasn't needed until it was necessary to measure it out to follow what God required. In Genesis - they counted years. If anything, it was a very simple calendar.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

excuse me ,

I answered this in a post above. Please check it out. Basically, begat doesn't always mean a father-son relationship. Only when the phrase "called his name" is used can we be certain of that relationship.
    but I believe i will trust the bible over you thank you!!

Ro 3:4God forbid: yea, LET GOD BE true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
    Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Pastor Keith

Here is the correct answer = 2256 years Ethiopian Calendar

(Gen. 5:3)
    * When Adam became the father of Seth he was 230
    * When Seth became the father of Enosh he was 205
    * When Enosh became the father of Kenan he was 190
    * When Kenan became the father of Mahalalel he was 170
    * When Mahalalel became a father of Jared he was 165
    * When Jared became the father of Enoch he was 162
    * When Enoch became the father of Methuselah he was 165
    * When Methuselah became the father of Lamech he was 187
    * When Lamech became the father of Noah he was 182