cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Jesus equal to the Father?

Is Jesus equal to the Father?

Is Jesus equal to the Father? and why do some say He is not while the scriptures states otherwise?
    We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Hi Bladers,

A leading question you have there. Got a baited line looking to draw in some prey....

Some people may define equal a bit different than others. Equal in what ways context.

Share some scriptures on topic of what you want to discuss maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladers View Post
    Is Jesus equal to the Father? and why do some say He is not while the scriptures states otherwise?
    Phil 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Jn 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Jn 10:30 I and my Father are one.

Who do we put first, the words of Christ or the words of man?

1 Tim 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Jesus is equally God, he is second in authority in the Godhead(Trinity)

All authority was GIVEN to Jesus by the Father

The Father is first in authority.

All whom the Father give to me will come to Me.

I have kept all that YOU have given Me, they were YOURS

Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    Those are some good ones that state otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Walstib View Post
    Those are some good ones that state otherwise.
    That is why when we read we need to know who is speaking and what is really being said.

God bless You!

Firstfruits

I think John 14:28 makes it clear.

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come [again] unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
    I cor 15:27
    For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under [him, it is] manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
    Jesus Christ and His father are one but there is still a hierarchy in the trinity. Jesus is second in authority and subservient to His father. He said he always does His father's will. He submits himself to the Father. He humbled himself more than anybody even unot death.

Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    Jesus Christ and His father are one but there is still a hierarchy in the trinity. Jesus is second in authority and subservient to His father. He said he always does His father's will. He submits himself to the Father. He humbled himself more than anybody even unot death.
    Well I'm talking about being equal in power and glory, not in the position (because there is no position, they are One) of the God-head. But, I found this scripture that might explain it a little!
    Just like the scripture says, "the Holy Spirit is God Almighty". I believe all three are equal.

Colossians 2:9 - For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
    We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

I believe,

A. Phil 2:6-8 Jesus let go of Equality, but retained his Divinity

B. I Cor 15:28 After resurrection, Jesus regained his Equality but still submitted to Father

Just because Jesus submits Himself to the Father, does not make Him less than the Father. For He and the Father is One. One's nature and equality is not dependent upon whether they submit. Jesus taught the greatest will be the servant!

Blog Entries
    In what regard?

Julian Guest

The glory which the Father gave the Son...

Well I'm talking about being equal in...glory, not in the position
    Speaking of glory:

Here's one that might make you think about the glory of the Father - even when his Son was dead:

Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Here's another about the Son and his Father's glory:

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

And another:
    Acts 7:55 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,

And when we confess Christ as Lord it is to the glory of the Father:
    Philippians 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

In short - when we recognize all that God has done through the Lord Jesus Christ, even when we make Christ our Lord (for God made Jesus the Lord) we glorify the Father. Christ came not to glorify himself.

Here are some more, especially note the last one:
    Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

John 12:28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.

John 17:1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

John 13:31-32 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Here is the verse that ties together the Glory of God and the topic of them being equal/one:
    John 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Speaking of glory
    You totally missed what i said. We already know that Jesus is the Glory of God and the express image of God. But the bible also says, He has the fullness of the God-head, same power and glory as the Father.

After all your scriptures, i still honestly do not know where you stand with this?

Equal or Not?

1. Jesus pre-existed with God.

2. Jesus co-existed with God.

3. Jesus is God

3. Jesus is the express image of God.

3. Jesus has the same glory, the same nature, and the same power as the Father.

4. Jesus sits on the same throne as the Father.

5. Jesus receives the same honor as the Father.

6. Jesus has all the fullness of the Godhead.

7. Jesus and the Father are worshipped simultaneously by all of creation.

and then Phil 2:6 - Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God. But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

You also forgot verse 5 of John 17 which explains everything: "And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was."

So He comes down on earth, drops His glory just to regain it again after dying for the world.

Julian Guest
    Well I'm talking about being equal in power...not in the position
    Equal in power? Decide for yourself, but keep these in mind.

Luke 22:69 Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God.
    He sits on the right hand of the power of God (ie. he is on the right-hand man to put into action that power that originates from whom he sits by):

Luke 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

Jesus gave his 12 disciples power. But do we see where this originated from later on in Acts 10?

Yes:
    Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the holy spirit and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

God anointed Jesus with power and the holy spirit. Christ executes the power of God, being the head over all things to the church. God annointed him with power and he gave that very power to his disciples. What a wonderful relationship we see, and in recognizing this and going to God in the access we have through Christ - we, too, can have the power of God in our life.

1 Corinthians 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:14 And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power

Christ lives by the power of God and we shall live with him by that same power:
    2 Corinthians 13:4 For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you.

Christ, the Lamb, indeed is worthy to receive power & glory (along with all the other things listed here)
    Revelation 5:12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

Christ was given this power, and in the end he shall put it down - to the glory of God the Father:
    1 Corinthians 15:24 & 28 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
    And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Here's a great section regarding God the Father, his Son Jesus Christ and the power that God showed and bestowed:
    Ephesians 1:17-23 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
    18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
    19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us–ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
    20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
    21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
    22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
    23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Julian Guest
    You totally missed what i said. We already know that Jesus is the Glory of God and the express image of God. But the bible also says, He has the fullness of the God-head, same power and glory as the Father.
    No I didn't miss what you said. But I do know that the fulness of deity dwells in him. Please read my post again, and the next one about the power of God.

God gave him power and glory - and we glorify God in recognizing this and acting in light of it. Jesus is my Lord - and when I confess that it glorifies God the Father. I'm just trying to get you to see what those scriptures say on the topic.

After all your scriptures, i still honestly do not know where you stand with this?
    Ok, but they aren't my scriptures.

I can't tell if that's a list of questions that you are wanting answered or not. Either way - reading those verses gives light about us doing what Christ told us to do and it glorifying his Father. God gave Christ the glory that he has and he has given it to us. I don't see how they could be equal in glory if the Father actually gave glory to the Son. Maybe it's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post

I can't tell if that's a list of questions that you are wanting answered or not. Either way - reading those verses gives light about us doing what Christ told us to do and it glorifying his Father. God gave Christ the glory that he has and he has given it to us. I don't see how they could be equal in glory if the Father actually gave glory to the Son. Maybe it's just me though.

When i return, i will share you with you how the scriptures you posted did not disagree with what i said. Which is, He has the same power and glory of the Father. For the Son came from the Father, and the Holy Spirit came from the Father.

Your scriptures are all talking about Jesus being anointed while on earth, Ofcourse when Jesus came on earth. He did not come as God, but as a servant as a man. So He had to be anointed like any of us.

But you keep missing the part that Jesus existed before the world, with All power, and All glory.

Thread Information