cure-real

Thread: what does binding mean?

what does binding mean?

Recently I had a friend tell me that she has been healed from colds, the flu and all other sorts of ailments. She said that all illness and conflict is an attack from the enemy. (Satan I guess?) She said that she now defeats everything thrown at her by binding the enemy. Even solves family arguements by claiming victory over it and binding it in Jesus's name.

Me being the skeptic I am, I would like to know why anyone who believes this ever dies. If they can bind any illness, they would simply have to cast it out every time an illness comes. Thus they would never have to die because illness has no authority over them.

Does this doctrine make sence?

Sjorgens

Blog Entries
    I don't know that it is limited ot any one denomination. Generally,(and I'm no expert) I believe these groups are called "full Gospel" and many are probably Pentecostal or Charismatics.
    Binding refers to using Scripture to Bind Satan or demons.
    You will find examples of this in the Gospels, such as
    Mat 18:18, "Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
    I am sure you will get much better answers from some of the more learned members.

Blessings.

tt1106

Quote Originally Posted by sjorgens View Post
    Recently I had a friend tell me that she has been healed from colds, the flu and all other sorts of ailments. She said that all illness and conflict is an attack from the enemy. (Satan I guess?) She said that she now defeats everything thrown at her by binding the enemy. Even solves family arguements by claiming victory over it and binding it in Jesus's name.

Me being the skeptic I am, I would like to know why anyone who believes this ever dies. If they can bind any illness, they would simply have to cast it out every time an illness comes. Thus they would never have to die because illness has no authority over them.

Sjorgens

First off... not everything 'bad' that happens to a person.. is the work of the devil... or satan..... satan can cause sickness.... yes he can.

Lets take a look at that word 'bind' in the Greek: δέω
    deō

) to bind tie, fasten
    a) to bind, fasten with chains, to throw into chains
    b) metaph.
    1) Satan is said to bind a woman bent together by means of a demon, as his messenger, taking possession of the woman and preventing her from standing upright
    2) to bind, put under obligation, of the law, duty etc.
    a) to be bound to one, a wife, a husband
    3) to forbid, prohibit, declare to be illicit

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the translation that is used in that Scripture where Jesus told Peter that He would give Him the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven... that whatever he 'bound' on earth would be 'bound' in Heaven.....

Making a note when Jesus taught about casting out devils He taught that no man can enter a 'strong man's ' house and pillage it unless He first 'bound' the 'strongman'... this would be He that is stronger than the strong man.... Jesus.... then He would plunder that house... That word bind or bound is the same translation as this verse found when Peter recieved the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven...

binding means to 'tie up' to 'shackle'.. to keep from ... prohibit....its like putting a big STOP sign in front of somebody...

First one must discern.. that the problem and its root source is satan himself... this done thru the Working of the Holy Ghost... then when discernment is done.. then if necessary in 'prayer' 'bind' that wicked spiritiual influence that is manifesting itself on this planet in the natural... when 'bound' here thru prayer then it will be done in Heaven... satan is 'known' as the prince of the power of the air.. he has thrones and seats and principalitites in the sky above this planet... they are wicked in nature and they are invisble to the naked eye.. yet they do exist... with evil spirits devils demons doing their bidding at the command of their father satan....

when 'one' binds that satanic influence here , when correctly discerned as the source, then it will be done in Heaven... and it will stop...

It would be quite amazing if God rolled back that veil to the supernatural to see the battles that go on behind the scenes.. angelic warfare, that stuff that we don't see with the naked eye but we know goes on because its declared in the Scritpure... its 'warfare'... not of the fleshly kind... but its manifest in the flesh and against the flesh... but its taken care of thru the Supernatural.

Our weapons as Born AGain Chrisitians are not carnal.. but MIGHTY... thru the pulling down of 'strongholds'... this done thru the Power of the Holy Ghost and the AUTHORITY Jesus gave His dicsciples over and against evil spirits... This done in the name of Jesus Christ Himself...

I was possessed by many wicked spirits at one time.. I know what they do.. I know they are stronger than human.. cause I had enormous strength at times... when I was unsaved.. strength that is not natural for my size... I know of His delivering power from these 'strongmen'.. prior to my conversion and deliverance.. Satan wanted to 'tear' my mind till I was mad or insane.. I felt that presense... and it was incredible and it was terrible...... but I also 'know' Jesus was there and His angels... He bound Satan and said.. 'satan, you cant do that', LEAVE HIM ALONE.. he belongs to me..... Leave Him...... and he went ..I witnessed all this at my conversion Feb 3 1994.... Today I sit here in my right mind, and with the peace of God that surpasethh all understanding resting upon me... and I long and crave to see that Face of the One who Set me free that day....

the other side of this is 'loosing'... but that is a whole nother area.. that if asked I will tell you about...

After my conversion and when testifying.. I was shocked to find out how many people don't believe in the supernatural... and these were people sitting in churches... they frowned upon the testimony God had given me.. many 'labeled' me as psychotic and wouldnt have anything to do with me.. they said ''his mind is gone'.. because of what I had happen to me.. it was quite shocking yet quite funny... I don't have any hard feelings against them.. but pray that God would open their eyes to the Reality of the Gospel..
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

Blog Entries
    Binding and loosing, I believe, in Matthew 18, refers to either the forgiveness or retention of sin.

That whole section is in the context of a brother sinning and what to do about it, and the steps to take, and about forgiveness in general.

Emanate Guest
    In the first century, binding and loosing (within Judaism) was the practice of deciding doctrinal issues as it pertains to our biblical walk.

re

While I can see the valid aspect of this, it also come across as Christianese at times. I tried this binding thing on my disease and it failed.
    So perhaps, I don't know enough about God or have enough faith. Also, it could mean that God just dosen't care or that its all a crock. Eitherway its confusing. I have difficulty just tying my shoelaces much less binding Satan.

Its possible that there is an overly liberal use of these type terms and people don't realize the implication it holds from another person's perspective.

Maybe in some cases its nothing more than spiritual grandstanding designed to let others know how advanced the one using it has become in their walk.

2 cents

Blog Entries
    Behind the terminology of binding and loosing is a theology based much on what is written in the gospels, more specifically Matthew 12 and 16. In Matthew 12, Jesus tells the pharisees that you cannot plunder the house unless you first bind the strong man. Many in Charismatic and Pentecostal circles have taken this 'strong man' literally - we need to bind the strongman as Christians. They then take Matthew 16 and say we have authority to bind and loose in the spiritual realm as Christians. We can bind sickness and a variety of other things so that they are essentially cast out of our lives.

To a large extent, I believe it is much the same as the rebuking that Jesus often does in the gospels and comes down to a matter of semantics. The theology behind it - much can be said about that. I personally have great problems with the concept of binding and loosing when it comes to sickness. It leaves so many unanswered questions, such as how long a sickness or a demon remains bound. I question whether there is enough support from the Bible to substantiate this.

On the other hand, I have seen first hand how this binding had a direct impact in a practical situation - I was raised by parents who applied this on a regular basis. So I prefer to stay in the middle on this one - cause I've seen its effect in reality.
    Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.
    Look also at the context of Matthew 18. Jesus is talking about how to handle disputes within the context of the assembly; how to settle disputes. The "binding" and "loosing" is the issue of church fellowship participation and discipline...if the local congregation determines that a person needs to be "Bound" and separated from fellowship due to unrepentant sin, then God supports that local decision. When and if the congregation decides that fellowship should be restored because the person has repented, God supports that decision.

Has nothing to do with demons or sickness or attacks or tennis shoe strings.
    Last edited by RabbiKnife; Feb 6th 2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Pointing out additional passage besides Matthew 16.

Blog Entries

Sjorgens
    What you describe is pure superstitious paganism, having nothing at all to do with Christ's teaching.

Binding and loosing refers to the Apostle's role as someone who will decide doctrine as Emanate suggested in his post.

As Bible students we should remind ourselves to whom the words of Jesus are being spoken. For instance, we know from this passage that Jesus is talking to Peter.

15"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?" 16Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
    17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." 20Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

Jesus points out, also, that Peter had supernatural help coming to his conclusion that Jesus is the Christ. For it was the Father in heaven that revealed this information to Peter.

When it says, "whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven", the idea is closer to the idea that "whatever you bind on earth will [will have already been] bound in heaven." The idea being that Peter and the others will be able to know what heaven has already said on subjects pertaining to the faith. This goes along with Jesus' statements as recorded in John's Gospel that the Holy Spirit will "bring to mind all that I have taught you."

Quote Originally Posted by BroRog View Post
    What you describe is pure superstitious paganism, having nothing at all to do with Christ's teaching.

Binding and loosing refers to the Apostle's role as someone who will decide doctrine as Emanate suggested in his post.

As Bible students we should remind ourselves to whom the words of Jesus are being spoken. For instance, we know from this passage that Jesus is talking to Peter.

15"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?" 16Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
    17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." 20Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

Jesus points out, also, that Peter had supernatural help coming to his conclusion that Jesus is the Christ. For it was the Father in heaven that revealed this information to Peter.

When it says, "whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven", the idea is closer to the idea that "whatever you bind on earth will [will have already been] bound in heaven." The idea being that Peter and the others will be able to know what heaven has already said on subjects pertaining to the faith. This goes along with Jesus' statements as recorded in John's Gospel that the Holy Spirit will "bring to mind all that I have taught you."

I agree and its very hard for me to hear that the only reason I still have my illness is due to my lack of faith. I've been sick for 8 years with a nasty auto-immune illnes and I have had countless numbers of Christians and churches pray for me. When I hear this stuff it makes me feel second class in God's family. To be honest, it caused me to become very angry will God. I think I'm begining to see that my anger was misplaced. Perhaps I should direct it towards things like TBN , that peedles this tripe for a prophet.

Thanks

Sjorgens

Blog Entries
    I agree and its very hard for me to hear that the only reason I still have my illness is due to my lack of faith. I've been sick for 8 years with a nasty auto-immune illnes and I have had countless numbers of Christians and churches pray for me. When I hear this stuff it makes me feel second class in God's family. To be honest, it caused me to become very angry will God. I think I'm begining to see that my anger was misplaced. Perhaps I should direct it towards things like TBN , that peedles this tripe for a prophet.

Thanks

Sjorgens
    There are lots of teachings out there and things that people believe that have more to do with pop culture than solid Scriptural foundations. People take something that may have worked for them at one point, purely subjectively, and make doctrine out of it and these whole movements grow from all these weird things. This is nothing new, though. Christianity has had to deal with it since its inception, just about. Years ago I opted to forsake the fluff and stopped looking to men and vowed to just follow Jesus directly, no matter where and at what cost. It's been difficult and challenging because He had to re-train me from the ground up, but it certainly has been solid and something I can stake my life on. And I no longer rely on second-hand exposure to God, which I think ultimately is what really matters. Men can say what they want, and preach what they want, and dazzle all they want. We all have to seek things out on our own, and when we do, we will find ourselves face-to-face with a God who is completely different from what many would have us believe, yet solid, strong and true, and able to deliver and be with us through anything. And then when we come together like this, we find that this is the very same God who has also revealed Himself to other believers in that way, and we can have solid fellowship in that.

Thanks

Sjorgens
    We all have our illnesses and trials, whether Christians or not. They are simply harbingers of death which we all must sometime face. The difference for the believer is that he knows all things work for his good. God brings us these trials to humble us and bring us closer to Himself.

The sentence construction in all the "Binding and Loosing" scriptures is the same, and it appears that "whatever you bind on earth will be that WHICH HAS BEEN bound in heaven" is closer to the proper translation.

That's to say that YOU aren't "binding anything" autonomously - but you ARE Proclaiming through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit what HAS BEEN bound already in Heaven. The normal translation appears to "Put us in charge" of heaven, which wouldn't be realistic, but allowing us to proglaim in Jesus' name the truth about something in heaven would get the cart back BEHIND the horse where it belongs.

Blog Entries
    Maybe I'd describe it like this:

We can call on the name of Christ and rebuke Satan in order to reject evil with the certainty of knowing that God hears all prayers, although what we see as 'evil' may not always immediately leave us -- but sometimes, it does. Other times, God allows us to endure something we can't understand. The book of Job makes it clear that everything we endure, God allows. I am sure there were many days in which Job would have bound Satan immediately if he could have..... but sometimes a spiritual battle only makes us fight harder to stay with Christ and come out on God's side, stronger than before. And maybe it does us a favour from time to time, to experience that.

If some people are able to avoid illness completely, that's great -- but they'll never achieve perfection in their lives 100% of the time. We're human. They may be healthy while a personal relationship may fall apart. They may be sick, but blessed with close family and friends who love them. I think a LOT of us have more than a couple thorns in our sides, and we've tried to ignore them or get rid of them or reject them or 'bind them' -- and I've come to the realization that, for me, maybe God just wants me to live with them because He's got a plan I can't fathom that'll end up making me stronger and glorifying Him. If so, I don't mind that a few things stay unbound.

We just have to trust that when rebuking something, rejecting something, binding something, etc doesn't work..... God'll take care of it when He wants to and how He wants to..... even if it's not anytime soon. And He'll probably take care of it in a way that will end up amazing us.
    -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
    It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
    So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
    We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
    Warren Barfield

Thread Information