cure-real

View Poll Results: Does the bible teach you can cease from sinning in this world?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 36.67%
  • No

19 63.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does the bible teach you can cease from sinning in this world?

bagofseed Guest

Does the bible teach you can cease from sinning in this world?

Hint - 1 Peter 4:1,2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bagofseed View Post
    1 Peter 4:1-2 does not teach sinless perfection. As long as we are in this world, we are subject to the lusts of the flesh...because our sin nature (described in Romans 7 and other places) has not been eradicated.

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (1 John 2:1-2)
    And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Revelation 22:17)

bagofseed Guest
    What do you mean by sinless perfection?

1 Peter 4:1,2 So, since Christ suffered in the flesh, you also arm yourselves with the same attitude, because the one who has suffered in the flesh has finished with sin, in that he spends the rest of his time on earth concerned about the will of God and not human desires.

The question remains is it possiable to cease from the pratice of sin?
    Or, as the ESV puts it, to be "Finished with sin"

Blog Entries
    What do you mean by sinless perfection?

1 Peter 4:1,2 So, since Christ suffered in the flesh, you also arm yourselves with the same attitude, because the one who has suffered in the flesh has finished with sin, in that he spends the rest of his time on earth concerned about the will of God and not human desires.

The question remains is it possiable to cease from the pratice of sin?
    Or, as the ESV puts it, to be "Finished with sin"
    Sinless perfection teaches that you are perfectly sinless after salvation...which is, of course, impossible because we still have our sin nature.

The only way we can "cease from the practice of sin" is by "walking in the Spirit":

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. (Galatians 5:16)
    And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Revelation 22:17)

bagofseed Guest
    After salvation we will be perfect in every respect.

Though the work of redemption is complete the work of salvation is not.

The work of salvation continues on through sanctification towards our being perfected in love.

If we love Him we will keep His commandments, keep them naturally, from the heart.
    Will we still have a fleshly form.
    Will we still be tempted.
    But we are called to overcome.

Not only is is possiable for God to cause both You and I to cease from sin in this life but the scripture commands it, over and over again.

It is the very work of Grace that we become like Christ Jesus and our very salvation is found in trusting in God for this purpose.

We are to become like Jesus, not by our own abiilty but by having our faith in God to make us so.

To deny that God can make us like Jesus in this life is to deny faith in God.

Soon the day of glory will come and our salvation will be compleated.

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, power, and authority, before all time, and now, and for all eternity. Amen. - Jude 1:24,25

1 John 1:8 - If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
    Check out my video shorts if you like.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NothingP

bagofseed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJ View Post
    1 John 1:8 - If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
    Let’s try another translation of that verse and see if it can shed some light.
    Also see the translator’s notes below.

God Is Light, So We Must Walk in the Light

1:5 Now this is the gospel message we have heard from him and announce to you: God is light, and in him there is no darkness at all. 1:6 If we say we have fellowship with him and yet keep on walking in the darkness, we are lying and not practicing the truth. 1:7 But if we walk in the light as he himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 1:8 If we say we do not bear the guilt of sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 1:9 But if we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous, forgiving us our sins and cleansing us from all unrighteousness. 1:10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar and his word is not in us.

Translators notes:
    tn Grk “say we do not have sin.” The use of ἔχω + ἁμαρτία (ecw + Jamartia) is an expression limited to John and 1 John in the NT. On the analogy with other constructions where ἔχω governs an abstract noun (e.g., 1 John 1:3, 6, 7; 2:28; 3:3, 15, 21; 4:16, 17; 5:12-13), it indicates that a state is involved, which in the case of ἁμαρτία would refer to a state of sin. The four times the expression ἔχω + ἁμαρτία occurs in the Gospel of John (9:41; 15:22, 24; 19:11) all refer to situations where a wrong action has been committed or a wrong attitude has already existed, resulting in a state of sin, and then something else happens which further emphasizes the evil of that action or attitude. Here in 1 John 1:8 the sense is the same. The author is addressing people who have sinned (resulting in a state of sin), warning them that they cannot claim to be free from the guilt of that sin.

So we see that using this verse as an argument against the possibility of living a sinless life is not only against its context, but is also a result of a lack of clarity in previous translations.

Besides Scripture references showing we are never sinlessly perfect in this life, just look at the lives of Bible saints and you will see that they were not sinlessly perfect. Peter denied his Lord!!!!! Noah got drunk, David committed adultery and murder.

I think I spend one third of my life not sinning, which is about how long I lay in bed at night unconscious.

Can I ask you a question?

Why does your body return to the dust and decay when you take your last breath and die physically? what causes it to decay and not live forever in immortality in that state..... the moment you are saved and born Again..

If you have ceased from sin... then that law of sin which is in your flesh has gone away.. it has vanished... then you would have 'no need' for that corruptable to changed into the incorrubtable and that which is sown in dishonour to be raised in honour... You would have no need to hear Jesus's voice say 'come forth'.. and be changed in the twinkling of an eye... whem mortality shall put on Immortality..... but you see that's not the case and thats not what Paul taught.....

and .. if you have ceased from sin... you have no more law of sin in your flesh.. as a believer.... then you have 'become like God'... without Jesus 'transforming' your body when He calls His own to come forth.. When He returns..

Christ Himself was the only One to walk on this earth and have Pure Flesh.. He was made in the Likeness of Sinful flesh .. He had no Law of Sin abiding in His flesh... there will not be another person on this earth who will walk sinless and not have a law of sin abiding in their flesh.. yes even as believers...

God commands His people to walk in the Spirit.. and not in the flesh.. but even when you walk in the Spirit.. that law of sin is still there ... and it will rear its ugly face... when you walk in the Spirit.. you crucify those passions... and this is where we are supposed to walk.. Paul thanked God that he served the God with his mind.. thru the Power of the Holy Ghost.. he had no confidence in his flesh and he also said with his flesh he served the law of sin... was Paul advocating being sinful? no not one bit... he even went on to reveal that those things he didnt want to do and he hated.. when he did them it wasn't even him that did them.. but the law of sin in his flesh..

And when you walk in the Spirit serving God with your mind.. heart/soul/spirit.. being Strenthened and Edified in that 'inner man'... daily... crucifiying the flesh and its passions.. then there is NO CONDEMNATON in that whatsoever.. has one got rid of his sin nature? no its still there but its put under subjection when you walk in the Spirit.. it has no more dominion over you.. and it will not reign.. in your mortal body.... that is control your every move and thought on a daily basis..
    the Spirit of the Life of Christ Jesus has made a believer 'free' from the power of sin and death itself.. this done thru what Christ did when they Nailed Him to that Bloody Tree... and then when He was raised from the dead... and we shall also recieve that Resurrected Body like His...

When I recieve my Resurrected Body. then I can say that the law of sin is no longer present in my body.. as I will have a new body like His. . not subject to death, disease, sin, or the 2nd Death.. which is the Lake of Fire..

This is His Promise..even the Redemption of the Body.. a body like His... Glorified, Immortal, Honourable, In corruptable... and this done thru the Power of the Spirit.. when He calls His Own to come forth... changed in the twinkling of an eye...

Is there a single person on this board that can boast and say as they were walking in the Spirit, boast and say they have 'never' experienced, the tendency to covet, greed, lust, a foolish thought?

We are told to take every thought captive and make it obedient unto Jesus the Christ..but the flesh is weak...... and your flesh will decieve you...

Where do those things come from as your walking in the Spirit?

Do you ever have a foolish thought as a Christian? Well in Proverbs is says that even a foolish thought is sin....

O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

Yes you can cease from sin in this world...Its called dieing!

Thats a very effective way to cease! Otherwise, I think Romans chapters 6 and 7 have a lot to say about the battle between now and ceasing from sin.

If you want to use the argument for Sanctification (three parts-positional, practical, progressive) remember that is figurative... the fact remains we sin daily!
    Dragonfighter1
    Vivo est Ministro

Well it tells us to try our darndest!
    Matthew 16:26

http://letthemplaytheirinstruments.blogspot.com/

bagofseed Guest
    Many people misunderstand Romans 7 and see it as our current state as christians rather then keeping it in context with the pervious chapters.

You may want to consider that it is presenting mans state under law in Romans 7 and mans state under grace starts in Romans 8

bagofseed Guest
    Some verses to consider.

Mt 5:48 "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

2Co 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

1Th 5:23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jas 1:4 And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

2Co 13:9 For we rejoice when we ourselves are weak but you are strong; this we also pray for, that you be made complete.

Eph 4:13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. (dosent get more perfect then that)

1Pe 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

Heb 13:21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Joh 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Php 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

Heb 7:19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did

1Jo 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

2Co 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

bagofseed Guest
    My question was:
    Does the bible teach you can cease from sinning in this world?

The Bibles says:
    1 Peter 4:2 Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.

To those who would say it is impossiable lack faith in God, for with God all things are possiable.

For those who have tried tried and find they are still slaves to sin I can say their is hope and freedom in the truth of Jesus, I know it first hand.

I pray one day to cease from all sin and live my life totaly for the will of God.

Thread Information