cure-real

Thread: In need of a deeper understanding

Blog Entries

In need of a deeper understanding

In 2 Corinthians 12:9 ...my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

I understand that when we are weak/not boasting in ourselves and allowing God to work that He will do greater things than we can.

When He is referring to "my grace" is he referring to the essence of who He is or is He referring to the use of His gifts within us........any thoughts??
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5

Blog Entries
    I've always understood grace to be God's help and power to do what we cannot, and that cover that makes up for what we lack.

So in this context it would be that God's grace was covering Paul and enabling him to deal with a situation that he would rather not and had already asked God to remove from him. Because Paul thought it made him weak or brought out his weakness, and it was probably something that brought him to his wit's end. But God had His own purpose for it, and so He kept Paul in that situation which made Paul rely on God all the more.

Some believe Pauls eye sight was getting dim and he needed assistance with many things, like writing letters. So let's venture that Paul asked God to make his eyesight better so he wouldn't depend on other people so much. God may have kept Paul dependent on others for Him own reasons, perhaps to show the churches that yes, even mighty apostles are human beings in need of assistance, and we all need one another.

It might also have been persecution from another person or some special sort of attack that kept cropping up.

Whatever it was, God wanted it that way, and it gave Him good pleasure to aid His child in the midst of it. And so He gave Paul more grace to bear up under it instead of just removing it.

Personally when I ask for God's grace, the yoke gets lighter, and there's help there all of a sudden to deal with something that before was driving me batty and I just couldn't do it.

Strong's G5485 - charis
    χάρις
    1) grace

a) that which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness: grace of speech
    2) good will, loving-kindness, favour
    a) of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues
    3) what is due to grace
    a) the spiritual condition of one governed by the power of divine grace
    b) the token or proof of grace, benefit
    1) a gift of grace
    2) benefit, bounty
    4) thanks, (for benefits, services, favours), recompense, reward

Blog Entries
    I think it's important we notice that Paul recognizes that in order to have faith, he needs a struggle, so to speak. In order to exercise that Faith, he needs a situation that requires faith.
    Paul is asking for struggles so he and others can see the power of Christ at work.

"Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

What a Disciple Paul is, that he ASKS for more struggles, so he can show his weakness and so Christ's power can be demonstrated.
    I'm sure if we look, we can see plenty of struggles, which God's power may be demonstrated in.

Think of all the struggles we are NOT praying about.

Blog Entries
    Interesting.

Yes, we need the struggles.

So often I've asked the Lord to deliver me from something and He never does, until it has fulfilled its purpose for which He sent it. And I mean, not even one second sooner.

Ugh.

In my more lucid, spiritual moments, I ask for struggles and set myself on God's side and acknowledge that they're necessary and I welcome them.

In my other, human, moments, I want to smack myself upside the head for even thinking about asking for these things or welcoming them, and beg for them to just be over with already.

But God knows where I really stand, deep down, where we've already settled these matters, and so He deals with me accordingly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniHansen View Post
    Interesting.

Yes, we need the struggles.

So often I've asked the Lord to deliver me from something and He never does, until it has fulfilled its purpose for which He sent it. And I mean, not even one second sooner.

Ugh.

In my more lucid, spiritual moments, I ask for struggles and set myself on God's side and acknowledge that they're necessary and I welcome them.

In my other, human, moments, I want to smack myself upside the head for even thinking about asking for these things or welcoming them, and beg for them to just be over with already.

But God knows where I really stand, deep down, where we've already settled these matters, and so He deals with me accordingly.

LOL.....Yeah, He frequently reminds me of who's in charge of my life also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tt1106 View Post
    LOL.....Yeah, He frequently reminds me of who's in charge of my life also.
    Oh haha, you too, eh?

When it gets really interesting, is when you look for ways to deliver yourself until you understand that nobody can deliver you out of His hand, and there isn't a thing you can do about it, except surrender.

God is God indeed, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
    In 2 Corinthians 12:9 ...my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

I understand that when we are weak/not boasting in ourselves and allowing God to work that He will do greater things than we can.

When He is referring to "my grace" is he referring to the essence of who He is or is He referring to the use of His gifts within us........any thoughts??
    I think your signature says it all. Amen!

The Antichrist will be taught and raised by the christian church. He will come from your own, not from the "outsiders". "Thus saith the Eternal, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house. . . ."

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for the replies. It has been most helpful.
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5

Thread Information