cure-real

Thread: Need help preparing to teach a lesson in children's church this Sunday

Need help preparing to teach a lesson in children's church this Sunday

The age group for this group is 7-11 year old. I"ve observed this class a few months ago, but can't remember who things went. I do remember that I didn't think the class was very structured though. But one of the helpers were out sick that day, so that may have been why.

The scripture reference that my lesson comes from is 1 Kings 17:8-16 about Elijah and the widown Zarephath. I hope it's okay to post the scripture on here. The paper I have isn't the specific scripture, but it does share the story of these scripture.

1 Kings 17:8-16
    Then the word of the Lord came to him, saying, 9 Up! go now to Zarephath, in Zidon, and make your living-place there; I have given orders to a widow woman there to see that you have food. 10 So he got up and went to Zarephath; and when he came to the door of the town, he saw a widow woman getting sticks together; and crying out to her he said, Will you give me a little water in a vessel for my drink? 11 And when she was going to get it, he said to her, And get me with it a small bit of bread. 12 Then she said, By the life of the Lord your God, I have nothing but a little meal in my store, and a drop of oil in the bottle; and now I am getting two sticks together so that I may go in and make it ready for me and my son, so that we may have a meal before our death. 13 And Elijah said to her, Have no fear; go and do as you have said, but first make me a little cake of it and come and give it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is the word of the Lord, the God of Israel: The store of meal will not come to an end, and the bottle will never be without oil, till the day when the Lord sends rain on the earth. 15 So she went and did as Elijah said; and she and he and her family had food for a long time. 16 The store of meal did not come to an end, and the bottle was never without oil, as the Lord had said by the mouth of Elijah.

I need help figuring out the best way I should explain this lesson. I don't know if I should just read the paper I have, but even if I did that I'd still need to pick out points in this lesson to go on detail. Or if I should find the key points in this lesson and explain them. The woman over the children's church told me that I could do it whatever way I wanted to. But that's really all she said when she gave me the paper, so I think I'll try calling her to ask for some guidance on this, since it's my first time.

Hi LBF. For 7-11 year olds it might work best to give the lesson in questions. Figure out the major points in your mind that you would like the children to learn from this account. Read the story to the class and bring out your points in the form of questions for the kids to answer.

How do you think the widow felt having so little food left for her and her son?

Why do you think she gave food to Elijah when she had so little left for herself?

Why didn't the food run out?

What does this mean for us today?

At 7-11 years old the kids will have the ability to follow the story line and come up with at least partial answers that you can use to direct them toward the truths you're looking to impart.

Just a suggestion, hope it helps. And God bless you for your service.

Dave
    Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will

Followtheway Guest
    read it then explain what happened: This woman was kind and gave all she had to help a man of the Lord and in return she was blessed.

Try to come up with a way for them to relate to the story. Something like, "When you were younger, did your parents ever asked you to do something that you just didn't understand at the time?" Talk about why we don't always understand why we have to obey at the time, but later we might learn that it was better for us. Use silly examples that will make the kids laugh and remember the story. Talk about being a little kid and wanting to eat a whole birthday cake all by yourself and not being able to understand why your parents wouldn't want you to, then finding out later, it was because it would make you sick. How just like our parents, God knows what's best for us, so even when we don't understand, when we obey, good things come of it.

You could go another way and try to help them understand how hard it would have been for the widow to give up her food, when she had so little for her family. Again, relate it to their lives. Say, they hadn't eaten all day and only had half a slice of pizza for dinner and somebody asked them for part of that.

Take it whatever way you feel led, just thought I'd offer some ideas.
    "I just like to smile! Smiling's my favorite!" - Buddy the Elf

My Blog

Pray for Mieke and Charles

I'm getting nervous about doing this. I haven't really gotten very prepared to do it since I've had a lot of other things this past week that the Lord has been dealing with me on.

I like all of the suggestions, but I really like the questions suggestion because that would help get the kids involved in the lesson. If anyone has any other questions that could relate to this lesson, feel free to share them with me. But would I need to give my own explanation of the answers?

Blog Entries
    One thing I used to do is read the story and then pass out paper and crayons and ask the kids to draw a picture of the story. Then have some of them share the story using their picture.

The kids loved it.

DaveS mentioned asking questions. Great idea. Make it fun by turning it into a trivia game. I used to do that a lot as well. You can do teams or individual.
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Followtheway Guest
    go into easier explanations like: you can start with imagine if you had a candy bar and you only get this favorite candy bar once a month and someone comes along at school that didnt bring their lunch what do you do? what did this lady do with everything she had to eat? How much does the bible say to give? (this question they may answer 10%, but thats incorrect the truth in the old testament is about 23% of your harvest, but in the new testament it says to give out of ability) What happens when you give? you can make this question fun cause you can talk about lending without wanting anything back and being humble to it, and treasure in heaven. You can also ask questions along the lines of how was this lady rewarded? why was she rewarded this way? you can tell them that this happens in our daily life if we put faith into it, but this lady did it without expecting to be taken care of hoe much faith does that take?

sorry to talk alot, but I used to be a preschool teacher

This is what is written at the bottom of the page I have : this widow woman put God first. She gave God her first fruits and the Lord took care of her. We need to remember to put God first, especially with our finances, and the Lord will take care of us as well.

What I thought about is read the story, then ask the questions before making that above statement. So that the statement can be given in closing and sum up the lesson. But I would also like to put the above statement and together with the two following statements to sum up this lesson. What would be the best way to put these three statements together to do this?

This woman was kind and gave all she had to help a man of the Lord and in return she was blessed.

How just like our parents, God knows what's best for us, so even when we don't understand, when we obey, good things come of it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Living~By~Faith* View Post
    This is what is written at the bottom of the page I have : this widow woman put God first. She gave God her first fruits and the Lord took care of her. We need to remember to put God first, especially with our finances, and the Lord will take care of us as well.

What I thought about is read the story, then ask the questions before making that above statement. So that the statement can be given in closing and sum up the lesson. But I would also like to put the above statement and together with the two following statements to sum up this lesson. What would be the best way to put these three statements together to do this?

This woman was kind and gave all she had to help a man of the Lord and in return she was blessed.

How just like our parents, God knows what's best for us, so even when we don't understand, when we obey, good things come of it.

Don't be afraid to give God your best and watch how He indeed can bless!
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

As I was writing down the questions, I had a few insights come to mind that I can share on this lesson. My main concern is the order the questions are, which I know really doesn't matter and how to sum up the lesson in a sentence or two. I also don't know how to fit in the pizza or candy bar example.

Blog Entries
    Hey, search Google for: Sudnay School lessons-free; they have so much that you can print lessons, crafts, all kinds of things for Sunday School or Children's Church.

Thought this might help~
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

My testimony: http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137007

I just got home from church. I guess everything went well with it being the first time I taught a lesson.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Living~By~Faith* View Post
    I just got home from church. I guess everything went well with it being the first time I taught a lesson.
    Hey LBF!

I'd really like to hear more! You worked hard on this, and please, boast in Christ! How did the kids react? Were there questions? Were you able to tie in pizza and candy bars? That's a thread all its own.

Teaching isn't easy, and I rejoice with you that you were given, by Him, and took the opportunity.

And may it lead to many more opportunities!
    Heb 10:31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

It is a wonderful thing to be predestined, elected and to believe by faith by virture of His irresitible grace and His limited atonement. Calvie, premill, dispie and full of cats. I love you too!

I kept it pretty simple and just read the story that went with the scripture and asked them a few questions that were suggested on here. The kids were very attentive and answered very well. The children's pastor elaborated a little more on the lesson when I was finished, so next time I'll try doing that myself.

Thread Information