cure-real

Thread: How did Rahab survive?

How did Rahab survive?

You know the story of Rahab. If she lived in the walls of Jericho, and the walls came tumbling down and the spies never told her this. how did she survive. Is this a mistake?

A righteous man regards the life of his animal Pro. 12:10
    Imo, she didn't live in the wall, I think her house was probably built alongside the wall.
    Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
    -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Or, did God protect her? (I don't know, I'm asking to learn.)

A righteous man regards the life of his animal Pro. 12:10
    Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    Or, did God protect her? (I don't know, I'm asking to learn.)
    It's possible but the Scripture doesn't say.

Jos 2:15Then she let them down by a cord through the window: for her house [was] upon the town wall, and she dwelt upon the wall.

The word upon isn't part of the original text so I'm guessing it was something like houses were maybe built backing up/attached to the wall surrounding the city.
    Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
    -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

There were in fact two walls surrounding Jericho - The walls though not incredibly high were wide and sturdy. Houses were built against the walls (as in Rahabs case) and inbetween the two walls. Here is a picture:

And I think that the same way the Lord caused the walls to fall the same way he spared Rahab.
    I do not come into this pulpit hoping that perhaps somebody will of his own free will return to Christ. My hope lies in another quarter. I hope that my Master will lay hold of some of them and say, “You are mine, and you shall be mine. I claim you for myself.” My hope arises from the freeness of grace, and not from the freedom of will.
    Charles Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by diffangle View Post
    It's possible but the Scripture doesn't say.

Jos 2:15Then she let them down by a cord through the window: for her house [was] upon the town wall, and she dwelt upon the wall.

The word upon isn't part of the original text so I'm guessing it was something like houses were maybe built backing up/attached to the wall surrounding the city.

Upon - does not necessarily mean "on" - in this case - more like "attached to" or "resting upon". I know that many times buildings are collapsed and walls are standing - the same could have happened in Rahabs case - the wall torn down but her house for the most part remained intact.
    I do not come into this pulpit hoping that perhaps somebody will of his own free will return to Christ. My hope lies in another quarter. I hope that my Master will lay hold of some of them and say, “You are mine, and you shall be mine. I claim you for myself.” My hope arises from the freeness of grace, and not from the freedom of will.
    Charles Spurgeon

That Rahab did not perish when the walls of Jericho fell we know, for the matter is settled in the book of Hebrews: Heb 11:31 "By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace." Joshua 6:22-25 also tells us that Joshua sent men to bring her and her family out before the city was destroyed.
    But Joshua had said unto the two men that had spied out the country, Go into the harlot's house, and bring out thence the woman, and all that she hath, as ye sware unto her. And the young men that were spies went in, and brought out Rahab, and her father, and her mother, and her brethren, and all that she had; and they brought out all her kindred, and left them without the camp of Israel. And they burnt the city with fire, and all that was therein: only the silver, and the gold, and the vessels of brass and of iron, they put into the treasury of the house of the LORD. And Joshua saved Rahab the harlot alive, and her father's household, and all that she had; and she dwelleth in Israel even unto this day; because she hid the messengers, which Joshua sent to spy out Jericho.
    We also know that she had an important role thereafter, for she became the mother of Boaz and thus of King David and his line, and thus (according to Matt 1:5, who makes much of this fact) an ancestor of Christ.

Exactly how and when this happens is not precisely clear from Joshua 6, but it appears that before the wall fell, Joshua somehow got the spies into the city, and they got her and her family out.

Thread Information