cure-real
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Whoever has been born of God does not sin

Blog Entries

Re: Whoever has been born of God does not sin

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide21 View Post
    After we receive Christ, there is no "re-forgiveness" of sin. Our sins are forgiven. If we find ourselves getting caught in sin and want to become reconciled with the Lord, we just need to re-submit ourselves to Him. It's not about repenting and getting forgiveness. It's about re-establishing our Walk with Him.
    Do you know what "repent" means?

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Do you know what "repent" means?
    Repent means to:

To feel remorse, contrition, or self-reproach for what one has done or failed to do; be contrite.
    To feel such regret for past conduct as to change one's mind regarding it: repented of intemperate behavior.
    To make a change for the better as a result of remorse or contrition for one's sins.
    To feel regret or self-reproach for: repent one's sins.
    To cause to feel remorse or regret.

Yes...we do all of these things in the process of becoming restored in our Walk with Christ. I suppose I was making the point that we don't need to be re-forgiven our sins...or re-justified.

Repent means to:

To feel remorse, contrition, or self-reproach for what one has done or failed to do; be contrite.
    To feel such regret for past conduct as to change one's mind regarding it: repented of intemperate behavior.
    To make a change for the better as a result of remorse or contrition for one's sins.
    To feel regret or self-reproach for: repent one's sins.
    To cause to feel remorse or regret.

Yes...we do all of these things in the process of becoming restored in our Walk with Christ. I suppose I was making the point that we don't need to be re-forgiven our sins...or re-justified.
    Yes, the born again again again again mentality is one of silliest in the church these days.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

After we receive Christ, there is no "re-forgiveness" of sin. Our sins are forgiven.
    Our sins can be forgiven, but they are not automatically forgiven when committed. We must repent of them and receive forgiveness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VerticalReality View Post
    Yes, the born again again again again mentality is one of silliest in the church these days.
    I agree. I do not believe in multiple regenerations either. However, 1 John 1:9 does say that if we confess our sins we receive forgiveness and cleansing. So confession is not "getting saved" over and over again, but it does provide forgiveness and cleansing so that our fellowship with God can be unbroken, unimpeded, and intimate as it is supposed to be. Additionally, when we have unconfessed, unrepented of sin in our lives, it leads to unfruitfullness, just as weeds choke the good seed. Confession makes it possible for the weeds in our lives to be removed, ( or for another analogy, the cumbersome, fruitless branches to be pruned) making it possible for us to bear much fruit as God intends.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

"My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

Quote Originally Posted by glad4mercy View Post
    I agree. I do not believe in multiple regenerations either. However, 1 John 1:9 does say that if we confess our sins we receive forgiveness and cleansing. So confession is not "getting saved" over and over again, but it does provide forgiveness and cleansing so that our fellowship with God can be unbroken, unimpeded, and intimate as it is supposed to be. Additionally, when we have unconfessed, unrepented of sin in our lives, it leads to unfruitfullness, just as weeds choke the good seed. Confession makes it possible for the weeds in our lives to be removed, ( or for another analogy, the cumbersome, fruitless branches to be pruned) making it possible for us to bear much fruit as God intends.

That's the verse that came to mind to me G4M. Ck Rom3:25 also.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by percho View Post
    That's the verse that came to mind to me G4M. Ck Rom3:25 also.
    Romans 3:25 is a good verse to add to this discussion. Both 1 John 1:2 and Romans 3:23 show Jesus as the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 1:2 uses the verb sin in the aorist tense, ( at a point in time), not the present, linear tense, ( sin in the process of being committed) removing the antinomian error that we can sin at will and it doesnt matter, we can just receive forgiveness later. This is the error that John is combatting in the passage in the OP. In other words, it is folly to confess sin and ask for cleansing and then continue to commit that sin willfully and deliberately over and over again, and even as some have done, confessing sin beforehand or in the process of committing it.

The Blood of Jesus and His present ministry as advocate and High Priest is not intended to make sinning safe, it is for the purpose of removing sin. John is warning against two errors similtaneously, 1. Antinomianism, ( the licence to sin) and 2. claiming to be without sin. We need to acknowledge, confess, and repent of any sin, so that it can be dealt with and removed by the blood of Jesus, who came to destroy the works of the devil by His Blood and His Risen life.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Blog Entries

Careless is deliberate. Drink, drive, wreck. The drinkers sin, and that's even if he doesn't also kill someone.
    I do agree that a person who drinks and drives is responsible for the havoc they cause. Yet not all carelessness is that cut and dry. The Ephesian church left their first love. What caused that departure, we don't know, but I suspect it was something slow and gradual, ( like putting a frog in a pan of water then slowly bringing it to a boil, until it's goose is cooked).

All sin does spring from the lust, or James wouldn't have written, "But every man is tempted when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived it bringeth forth sin:...(Ja 1:14-15)
    Some sins are caused by 1. fear- ( failure to witness or take a stand for Christ in a situation where one compromises), 2. temper- ( outbursts of anger and evil speaking), 3. religious pride, ( factions, seditions, heresies), 4. laziness- ( sins of omission), 5. ill placed priorities, ( putting other activities before serving the Lord, and loving mother, father, son, daughter, husband, or wife more than you love God, and making decisions to please them instead of making decisions to please the Lord. ) 6. forgetfullness . ( which is the failure to remember what God has revealed to you or commanded you), etc. I can go on and on, but I think you get the point. If we commit these things we must repent, remember, and go back and do the first works.

The cleansing from sin in John's first letter happened once at baptism when His blood washed me while on the cross. I was crucified with Him , buried with Him, and raised from the dead with Him to walk in newness of life. (Ro 6:4) Reborn of a godly seed. One that cannot bring forth evil fruit. As for the aorist tense, can you find another scripture that also exemplifies your use of this? I see the blood washing everybody that repents, in baptism,weather in year 35, 2012, or 2599. It cleanses humanity in an ongoing act of mercy for all who come to worship Him, and obey Him.
    As I said in another post, the cleansing of the blood is both a past event, ( at conversion) and a continuous event, ( in our preservation). The Blood both initially cleansed us and keeps us clean. The parsing for "cleanses" in 1 John 1:7 is present active indicative.

The way you present it makes me think of Hebrews 6:6, where He must suffer again, and again, and again.
    No beloved, rather what I am saying is that the blood once shed never loses it's power. Glory to God!!!

In Galations 6:1, the SPIRITUAL brethren are urged to restore an overtaken in a fault man, because the faulted one is not in the Spirit. In James 5:16, we are told "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." There were some righteous men, then, and there are still
    I fully agree with this. Yet our righteousness is not our own. It is both imputed and imparted by faith, based on Christ's merits.

Thank you for the patience, as it took me a while to answer this post in more detail. Good post.

Every one may have their view on this, so also is it with me, and for me verse nine is not at all saying that we do not sin at all, rather it is saying that when we are born of God we will no longer deliberately continue in sin. Again, we shall indeed deliberately sin in our life, but we will no longer CONTINUE in the sin, because the love of Christ shall constrain us from continuing in sin, though it may have been initially deliberate. The just shall live by faith, and though the just may fall several times, yet they shall rise right back up into their sincerity toward God; but it is the wicked [the insincere] who are the ones that fall into mischief: another words they shall continue in sin, even after realizing and knowing it. These [the wicked] are they referred to in verse eight of first John, chapter three.
    And some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not.
    Acts 28:24

Romans 3:25 is a good verse to add to this discussion. Both 1 John 1:2 and Romans 3:23 show Jesus as the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 1:2 uses the verb sin in the aorist tense, ( at a point in time), not the present, linear tense, ( sin in the process of being committed) removing the antinomian error that we can sin at will and it doesnt matter, we can just receive forgiveness later. This is the error that John is combatting in the passage in the OP. In other words, it is folly to confess sin and ask for cleansing and then continue to commit that sin willfully and deliberately over and over again, and even as some have done, confessing sin beforehand or in the process of committing it.

The Blood of Jesus and His present ministry as advocate and High Priest is not intended to make sinning safe, it is for the purpose of removing sin. John is warning against two errors similtaneously, 1. Antinomianism, ( the licence to sin) and 2. claiming to be without sin. We need to acknowledge, confess, and repent of any sin, so that it can be dealt with and removed by the blood of Jesus, who came to destroy the works of the devil by His Blood and His Risen life.
    Amen to all you said.

IYO Will there ever be a time in our existence, as in to be, when we will no longer need to confess and repent of sin for we will sin no more?

Blog Entries

Amen to all you said.

IYO Will there ever be a time in our existence, as in to be, when we will no longer need to confess and repent of sin for we will sin no more?
    1. As far as willful habitual sinning, yes we can, should be, and certainly need to be set free from deliberate sin not only in this life but post haste.

2. As far as being so sinlessly perfect that we never commit even a single act of sin again, ( including sins of omission) I do not know if we ever reach that in this life, but I know that when Christ finishes His work in us, we will be absolutely sinless, just as He is. Faithful is He to complete the good work He began in us.

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    Our sins can be forgiven, but they are not automatically forgiven when committed. We must repent of them and receive forgiveness.
    Confession is not repenting, but admitting (own up) your guilt.

I believe a true spirit filled believer does not have to repent as such. When they have knowingly committed a sin it hurts their conscience, and their heart (not God) condemns them.

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

1Jn 3:19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
    1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
    1Jn 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

I often hear the phrase 'sin separates us from God'

Well yes it can do. At least known sin can, but it does not separate God from us.
    If that was so, then we would not be troubled in spirit. The sin affects our conscience, and we lose our boldness to enter the holy place because of our hearts.

Heb 10:16 "THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS UPON THEIR HEART, AND ON THEIR MIND I WILL WRITE THEM," He then says,
    Heb 10:17 "AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE."
    Heb 10:18 Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longer any offering for sin.
    Heb 10:19 Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus,
    Heb 10:20 by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh,
    Heb 10:21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God,
    Heb 10:22 let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
    Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;

Our conscience can be likened to a bucket that holds our faith. If the bucket has a few holes in it, then faith will leak out.

1. As far as willful habitual sinning, yes we can, should be, and certainly need to be set free from deliberate sin not only in this life but post haste.

2. As far as being so sinlessly perfect that we never commit even a single act of sin again, ( including sins of omission) I do not know if we ever reach that in this life, but I know that when Christ finishes His work in us, we will be absolutely sinless, just as He is. Faithful is He to complete the good work He began in us.
    Well I guess when Christ finishes his work in us we not only will be absolutely sinless, we will also be absolutely unable to die anymore, and we will absolutely be born again.

Blog Entries

Well I guess when Christ finishes his work in us we not only will be absolutely sinless, we will also be absolutely unable to die anymore, and we will absolutely be born again.
    Absolutely sinless, yes. Unable to die, yes. Absolutely born again. Please clarify the "absolutely born again". I know that a Christian is already born again spiritually. Are you referring to the resurrection and stating that in the resurrection, we are begotten from the dead, just as Christ is the first begotten from the dead?

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    So are you saying that, when a Believer commits a sin, He is separated from God until the point where he repents and asks for forgiveness? If so, then you are advocating that we can be saved and lost, saved and lost, over and over. Otherwise, how can we be justified before God with unforgiven sin?

A Christian who stumbles in sin needs only to renew Himself to Christ with a contrite spirit so that he can restore communion with the Holy Spirit. He doesn't have to re-justified. Maybe that isn't what you were saying...

Thread Information