cure-real
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Difference between Faith and Hope?

  1. #1

    Difference between Faith and Hope?

    13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

    Can someone explain the difference between having faith and having hope?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    under the pain of the wish
    Posts
    10,890
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

    Can someone explain the difference between having faith and having hope?
    To have faith is to believe what someone says. Sometimes what they say can't be easily verified but we may have other reasons to believe what they say, based on our trust of the person.

    To have hope, in the Biblical sense, is to live with a confident expectation that something will come about. If we have a high confidence level in what we believe, then our hope is very strong.

    Putting the two together, the Biblical discourse centers on the way for a man or woman to find eternal life. Certain claims are made concerning how one will find eternal life, claims that involve a set of beliefs and a man who promises he can make it happen. Namely, Jesus Christ asserts that anyone who believes what he says will find eternal life.

    To have faith in Jesus is to believe what he says. To have hope is to anticipate eternal life with confidence knowing that Jesus is able to perform what he said and that God is behind him, making it all come about.

  3. #3
    Joyfulee Guest
    "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
    Heb. 11:1

    Blessings

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,278
    My definition for hope is faith for something that hasn't happened yet.

    For example, we have a hope in being resurrected from the dead. This does not mean that we think it might happen or it's just a possibility. Hope is an assurance. Hope is having faith in something that has yet to come to pass. Many folks have a mindset that hope is this wiffle waffle sort of mentality that isn't sure about something but "hopes" that it will happen. That is not the biblical meaning of hope. I don't just think I will be resurrected from the dead . . . I know I will be. However, that has not yet happened, so therefore I have hope that in that day I will be raised in like manner as my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

    Hope that helps.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

    -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    upper midwest
    Posts
    1,859
    Faith... 'believing without actually seeing physical evidence...'

    As Thomas touched and placed his hands in Jesus's wounds after His Resurrection...

    He Said... Thomas you have seen me...and you 'know'..
    but Blessed are those who believe in Me .. yet have
    not seen Me in Person...

    this can be in any area of your life...

    God says He is Coming Back to this Earth a Second Time.. His Word says it.. I don't see it now.. but I 'know' it will come to pass because He declared it... that is Faith in His Physical and Literal Return to this earth..
    It hasn't happened yet and Jesus did not speak it directly to my face but I know He is Going to Come back soon. His Word gives me His Promise to me and all those that believe On Him... I hide His Word which is His Promise in my Heart... so its always there... waiting without seeing.. but 'knowin' it will come to pass.. because of Him.. and Who He is...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    Hope: 'earnest expectation with joy that something is going to happen...'

    Chrisitans have 'hope' in God because He declares His Promise to us thru His Word... even the OT spoke of the hope of the Coming Messiah.. Jesus Came and those who 'knew' He was rejoiced in that.. they had waited many years with 'hope' or expectation that He would come.. He did... and fulfilled what He was called to do and was Sent to do..

    God declares His Promise from His Word and thru the Words of His Servants... Christians have 'faith' in God.. that He is going to bring it to pass... and they have 'hope'.. the earnest expectation that God will bring it to pass...

    they Have Hope thru Faith In Him...
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

  6. #6
    So, would this be true:

    Faith is knowing that God is able to turn around any given situation, no matter how impossible it may look in the natural.

    Hope is praying that He will.

  7. #7

    Hope and faith

    Hope is deceptively different than Faith.

    I use this illustration:

    Take two people and one chair. Have one person sit in the chair. Now ask these questions:

    To the "sitter": Do you believe the chair will hold you?

    The answer is: of course, it is holding me now.

    To the "stander": Do you believe the chair will hold you?

    The answer is: I hope so.

    The difference is that the stander can HOPE the chair will hold, but it is untried and untested. The sitter has Faith that the chair holds because he has tried it and found it true.

    Hope waits to see, faith tries it out. Faith has action.

  8. #8
    That's a good example, but why then "these three: faith, hope, and love" instead of "these two." It seems that if you are truly IN faith, there is no need for hope because your will is so strongly aligned with His that you're already living in the desired outcome.

    An example would be, someone who was sick. In faith, they would claim, "By His stripes I AM healed." I am ALREADY healed. I claim the healing NOW, it's here, even if to others I still look sick.

    It would seem that someone who totally and completely lived their life in Faith, would have no need for hope, because they are already living and claiming the full blessing.

    Does that make sense?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    859
    Faith is based upon experience.

    Hope is for the future, and is based on faith.
    You were made to think. It will do you good to think; to develop your powers by study. God designed that religion should require thought, intense thought, and should thoroughly develop our powers of thought.

    Charles G Finney



    http://holyrokker.blogspot.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,341
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    That's a good example, but why then "these three: faith, hope, and love" instead of "these two."
    It would seem that someone who totally and completely lived their life in Faith, would have no need for hope, because they are already living and claiming the full blessing.

    Does that make sense?
    Faith doesn't give us joy, hope does.

    Here's a good link of John Piper explaining faith and hope.

    http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceL..._What_Is_Hope/
    As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    ……. but why then "these three: faith, hope, and love" instead of "these two." It seems that if you are truly IN faith, there is no need for hope because your will is so strongly aligned with His that you're already living in the desired outcome.
    Hi Moon,

    I would say hope has a future quality to it where faith has a present quality. If I have a hope that I will be with Jesus in heaven in a glorified body this is something I cannot be living now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    An example would be, someone who was sick. In faith, they would claim, "By His stripes I AM healed." I am ALREADY healed. I claim the healing NOW, it's here, even if to others I still look sick.
    God heals but I don't think we can blackmail Him into it. If you are still sick you are still sick no matter how much you try and brainwash yourself you might not be. The “name it and claim it” doctrine falls apart in the reality of hope. I can hope that God will heal me and have faith that He is able but until that healing has taken place I can only hope for it in faith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    It would seem that someone who totally and completely lived their life in Faith, would have no need for hope, because they are already living and claiming the full blessing.

    Like I said above I don’t have a glorified body yet no matter how much I might try and convince myself I do. Hope remains.

    Peace,
    Joe

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    587
    Hope is there even when noone sees it.

    If I asked you "what is our only hope?"
    The answer is obvious unless you want to get smart.

    So then watch for light earnestly and have faith.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,917
    Blog Entries
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

    Can someone explain the difference between having faith and having hope?

    Let's see . . .

    Faith seems to be "loyalty, fidelity, and steadfastness" to YHWH, and one must maintain
    "loyalty, fidelity, and steadfastness" long enough so as to be rewarded for this "loyalty, fidelity, and steadfastness" at some point.

    We all, of course, make it our aim to maintain "faith" unto the end--in the "hope" of receiving the rewards that YHWH will be giving out.


    Now, hope is "earnest expectation" of coming eschatological events--events that will occur as a reward for "faith" (as described above).

    So, those who have "faith"--having "loyalty, fidelity, and steadfastness" to YHWH--are made "just" or "righteous." Instead of "living" by "obeying the Law" (as in Leviticus 18:5), they "live" by entering into "a vital relationship with YHWH through the Gospel" and are graced with the hope of deliverance from eternal death through grace and righteousness at the return of Jesus Christ as well.

    Now, there is one hope and faith of our calling in God:

    Eph. 4:1-6
    1: I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
    2: With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
    3: Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
    4: There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
    5: One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
    6: One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

    So, what is the "one" hope of our calling? Is it not the hope of salvation?

    I Thess. 5:8-10

    8: But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
    9: For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
    10: Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

    So, the "hope" of salvation is our "earnest expectation" to experience some of the following:

    a) The Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ (Maranatha!)--

    b) Physical, bodily resurrection from the dead--

    c) The full manifestation of the Kingdom of God (eternal inheritance)--

    d) The "change of our bodies"--

    e) The "vindication" of all saints as a result of all the persecution and trouble experienced as a result of their "loyalty" to YHWH.
    Grace and peace,

    Billy-brown 2


    I Peter 1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

  14. #14
    Well, I disagree with your perspective of healing and faith Walstib (I believe that when you are aligned with Christ, there IS no sickness, despite what things might look like in the natural, and we are meant to stand against it and continually profess His Truth and identify ourselves with His wholeness fully)...but that's an issue that stirs up a lot of opinions, so probably best left to discuss in another post.

    I do appreciate yours and everyone else's understanding of Faith versus Hope and will continue to meditate on the definitions. Thanks!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,917
    Blog Entries
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    That's a good example, but why then "these three: faith, hope, and love" instead of "these two." It seems that if you are truly IN faith, there is no need for hope because your will is so strongly aligned with His that you're already living in the desired outcome.

    An example would be, someone who was sick. In faith, they would claim, "By His stripes I AM healed." I am ALREADY healed. I claim the healing NOW, it's here, even if to others I still look sick.

    It would seem that someone who totally and completely lived their life in Faith, would have no need for hope, because they are already living and claiming the full blessing.

    Does that make sense?
    A teachable moment . . .

    Consider the following scriptures:

    Phil 2:19-30


    2:19 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state.
    2:20 For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state.
    2:21For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ’s.
    2:22 But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the gospel.
    2:23 Him therefore I hope to send presently, so soon as I shall see how it will go with me.
    2:24 But I trust in the Lord that I also myself shall come shortly.
    2:25 Yet I supposed it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellow soldier, but your messenger, and he that ministered to my wants.
    2:26 For he longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that ye had heard that he had been sick.

    2:27 For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow.
    2:28 I sent him therefore the more carefully, that, when ye see him again, ye may rejoice, and that I may be the less sorrowful.
    2:29 Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness; and hold such in reputation:
    2:30Because for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death, not regarding his life, to supply your lack of service toward me.


    A friendly question:

    Was
    Epaphroditus in faith?
    Grace and peace,

    Billy-brown 2


    I Peter 1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •