cure-real
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is The "Great Commission" for Today?

Is The "Great Commission" for Today?

I believe one of the most misunderstood scriptures today is Matthew 28;19-20 which read as follows: Matthew 28:19 *Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    20 *Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Lets see what other verses pertain to Matthew 28:19-20. And that would be Mark 16:15 that says: *And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Also, this command can not be for today because Mark chapter 16 gives us in detail the qualifications needed to fulfill this command or "commission" that reads as follows. I will give all the verses pertaining Mark 16 in relation to this subject.

Mark 16:15 *And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    16 *He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
    17 *And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
    18 *They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
    19 *∂So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
    20 *And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

No one today bothers take in consideration the signs that must follow those who preach to every creature that pertains to the "Great Commission". There for when we don't take the signs that go with it we will be in error and out of context and miss all that God has given on this subject.
    Care to have yourself a Clorox Cocktail or one made with Bleach or Anti-freeze, and you should be able to if God is still enforcing this command just as it says in verse 18 that you can drink any deadly thing. Or about playing with some friendly copperhead or coral snake or whatever your favorite brand of snake may be. Or if you get tired of playing with snakes after enjoying a great cocktail you might want to go around laying hands on the sick and speaking in tongues? For our time frame this is all ridicules, isn't it? So is applying this "Commission" into to today's world as well.

Please, notice in verse 20 they {the disciples} went forth and preached everywhere and the Lord worked with them and confirmed the word, with signs that followed them. They had the proof of who they were.

That program has come to an end as we shall see in some key verses found in Matthew 24.

Comments in Below in blue are mine.

Matthew 24:14 *And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. {This "Commission" will be completed just before the Lord brings forth his judgment upon the earth for the last time as found in the next verses.}
    15 *When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand.}
    16 *Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
    17 *Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
    18 *Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
    19 *And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
    20 *But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

21 *For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
    22 *And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
    23 *Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
    24 *For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

There is more evidence but so as not to confuse anyone I'll stop here unless someone has question.

Tomlane

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlane View Post

I believe one of the most misunderstood scriptures today is Matthew 28;19-20 which read as follows: Matthew 28:19 *Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    20 *Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Lets see what other verses pertain to Matthew 28:19-20. And that would be Mark 16:15 that says: *And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Also, this command can not be for today because Mark chapter 16 gives us in detail the qualifications needed to fulfill this command or "commission" that reads as follows. I will give all the verses pertaining Mark 16 in relation to this subject.

Mark 16:15 *And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    16 *He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
    17 *And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
    18 *They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
    19 *∂So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
    20 *And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

No one today bothers take in consideration the signs that must follow those who preach to every creature that pertains to the "Great Commission". There for when we don't take the signs that go with it we will be in error and out of context and miss all that God has given on this subject.
    Care to have yourself a Clorox Cocktail or one made with Bleach or Anti-freeze, and you should be able to if God is still enforcing this command just as it says in verse 18 that you can drink any deadly thing. Or about playing with some friendly copperhead or coral snake or whatever your favorite brand of snake may be. Or if you get tired of playing with snakes after enjoying a great cocktail you might want to go around laying hands on the sick and speaking in tongues? For our time frame this is all ridicules, isn't it? So is applying this "Commission" into to today's world as well.

Please, notice in verse 20 they {the disciples} went forth and preached everywhere and the Lord worked with them and confirmed the word, with signs that followed them. They had the proof of who they were.

That program has come to an end as we shall see in some key verses found in Matthew 24.

Matthew 24:14 *And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. {This "Commission" will be completed just before the Lord brings forth his judgment upon the earth for the last time as found in the next verses.}
    15 *When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand.}
    17 *Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
    19 *And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
    20 *But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

21 *For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
    22 *And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
    23 *Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
    24 *For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

There is more evidence but so as not to confuse anyone I'll stop here unless someone has question.

Tomlane
    People use the term great commission, but Christ never called it the great commission.

In fact Jesus Christ made it clear that he came for Jews, and the Jews only.

The disciples(11 apostles) were sent out to the Jew's who were scattered throughout the nations. Neither had they been told to go to Gentiles, nor did they.

There were no Gentiles at Pentecost, unless they were proselytes.

There were no Gentiles in the Church when the Church had all things common.

The Church was not opened to the Gentiles until the Jew's rejected Christ.

It was 12 years after the crucifixion before Paul came on the scene and Peter was shown that the Gentiles were to be accepted.

I am not saying we are not to go out into the whole world to be witnesses. The whole Word is for us as an example, but it is not all to us.

In Jesus Christ, Terrell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomlane View Post

Tomlane
    Hi Tom,

I beg to differ, there several things I think you have overlooked. One The gospel has not been preached to the entire world. Two, the abomination of desolation has not stood in the temple.

Now, regarding your statement about the signs that would follow them that believe. First the signs were to validate the apostles ministry, we know from Acts that they did heal the sick, Paul was bitten by viper and not harmed, they did speak in tongues. However all of that was to end, but the commission was not. Paul tells us that these supernatural signs will end.

1 Corinthians 13:8-13 ( KJV ) 8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Just about all of the supernatural gifts fall into one of the three categories which Paul said will cease. That is why they don't follow believers today, the commission is for today, the gifts however have ceased. That is not to say God cannot give them, but the way they were given in NT times ended.
    Last edited by Butch5; Mar 20th 2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Typo

[
    quote=Butch5;2018381]Hi Tom,

I beg to differ, there several things I think you have overlooked. One The gospel has not been preached to the entire world.
    Rom 10:18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

I believe the scripture indicates other wise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tgallison View Post
    [

Rom 10:18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

I believe the scripture indicates other wise.
    Context my friend context,

Romans 10:1 ( KJV ) 1Brethren, my heartís desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

Romans 10:18-19 ( KJV ) 18But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. 19But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.

In this context Paul is say that all of the Jews have heard.

Certainly church history shows that what we call the Great Commission is for all ages, until Christ returns. Remember that He won't until the full number of Gentiles is saved (which imples that helping to reach that number impacts that desired event).

What the OP may be referring to is the Great Omission.
    Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch5 View Post
    Context my friend context,

Romans 10:1 ( KJV ) 1Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

Romans 10:18-19 ( KJV ) 18But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. 19But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.

In this context Paul is say that all of the Jews have heard.
    Well it is the context. The great commission was for the apostles to reach all the Jew's, and they did.

Blog Entries
    People use the term great commission, but Christ never called it the great commission.

In fact Jesus Christ made it clear that he came for Jews, and the Jews only.

The disciples(11 apostles) were sent out to the Jew's who were scattered throughout the nations. Neither had they been told to go to Gentiles, nor did they.

There were no Gentiles at Pentecost, unless they were proselytes.

There were no Gentiles in the Church when the Church had all things common.

The Church was not opened to the Gentiles until the Jew's rejected Christ.

It was 12 years after the crucifixion before Paul came on the scene and Peter was shown that the Gentiles were to be accepted.

I am not saying we are not to go out into the whole world to be witnesses. The whole Word is for us as an example, but it is not all to us.

In Jesus Christ, Terrell

**Buzzer sounding***

Jesus didn't come for the Jews Only........ He came FIRST to the Jews... Then the gospel was also preached to the gentiles.
    Jesus came for the whole world, ALL those who ask shall receive.

In fact, Paul tells us in Gal 3:28 that there IS NO Jew nor Greek, Neither Bond nor Free, neither male nor female.... we are ALL ONE in Christ.

How about Romans 9:6 : Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they [are] not all Israel, which are of Israel:

If Jesus came for the "Jews" only..... why did Paul convert from the legalistic, civil & cerimonial laws of Judiasm, and follow Christ?

Jesus was the fulfillment of the Jewish laws, and the Old Covenant..... because it was never about "Jews & gentiles"... it was about redemption & restoration of his CREATION. (US)

If Jesus came for the Jews only..... gentiles would NEVER have been included.
    Because "ONLY" means ONLY.
    Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Blog Entries
    Well it is the context. The great commission was for the apostles to reach all the Jew's, and they did.
    No, my friend, it was not just for the Jews,

Matthew 28:16-20 ( KJV ) 16Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. 17And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The word nations means all peoples,

Thayer’s Greek Definitions

G1484 ἔθνος ethnos Thayer Definition: 1) a multitude (whether of men or of beasts) associated or living together 1a) a company, troop, swarm 2) a multitude of individuals of the same nature or genus 2a) the human family 3) a tribe, nation, people group 4) in the OT, foreign nations not worshipping the true God, pagans, Gentiles 5) Paul uses the term for Gentile Christians

The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament

G1484. ἔθνος ethnos; gen. ethnous, neut. noun. A multitude, people, race, belonging and living together. (I) Generally in Acts 8:9, the people or inhabitants of Samaria (see Acts 8:5). In Acts 17:26, the whole race of mankind. See also 1 Pet. 2:9; Sept.: 2 Chr. 32:7; Isa. 13:4. Spoken of a flock or a swarm in Class. Gr. (II) In the sense of nation, people, as distinct from all others (Matt. 20:25; Mark 10:42; Luke 7:5; John 11:48, 50; Acts 7:7; 10:22; Sept.: Gen. 12:2; Ex. 1:9; 33:13; Deut. 1:28). (III) In the Jewish sense, ta ethnē, the nations, means the Gentile nations or the Gentiles in general as spoken of all who are not Israelites and implying idolatry and ignorance of the true God, i.e., the heathen, pagan nations (Matt. 4:15; 10:5; Mark 10:33; Luke 2:32; Acts 4:27; 26:17; Rom. 2:14; 3:29; Sept.: Neh. 5:8, 9; Isa. 9:1; Ezek. 4:13; 27:33, 36; 34:13; Jer. 10:3).

Blog Entries
    ... If the Great Commission were not for today there would be no foreign missionaries on the field and I would not have been called of God into the ministry. If the Great Commission is invalid for this time then why did my LORD not slay me the day I was saved and accommodate the perfection in me that He seeks to forge into my life? This teaching is heresy.

Quote Originally Posted by SIG View Post
    Certainly church history shows that what we call the Great Commission is for all ages, until Christ returns. Remember that He won't until the full number of Gentiles is saved (which imples that helping to reach that number impacts that desired event).

What the OP may be referring to is the Great Omission.
    I don't deny that we are to be a witness and a lighthouse. But we are referring to a particular scripture and who it was directed at.

Quote Originally Posted by markdrums View Post
    **Buzzer sounding***

Jesus didn't come for the Jews Only........ He came FIRST to the Jews... Then the gospel was also preached to the gentiles.
    Jesus came for the whole world, ALL those who ask shall receive.

In fact, Paul tells us in Gal 3:28 that there IS NO Jew nor Greek, Neither Bond nor Free, neither male nor female.... we are ALL ONE in Christ.

How about Romans 9:6 : Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they [are] not all Israel, which are of Israel:

If Jesus came for the "Jews" only..... why did Paul convert from the legalistic, civil & cerimonial laws of Judiasm, and follow Christ?

Jesus was the fulfillment of the Jewish laws, and the Old Covenant..... because it was never about "Jews & gentiles"... it was about redemption & restoration of his CREATION. (US)

If Jesus came for the Jews only..... gentiles would NEVER have been included.
    Because "ONLY" means ONLY.
    Jesus died for all of us, but he came for the Jews. Christ sent the apostles out to the Jews only. "Theses twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." (Matthew 10:5-6)

"But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel." (Matthew 15:24)

Twelve years after Pentecost we hear Peter saying this- "And he said unto them, You know how that it is unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean." (Acts 10:28) For the previous 12 years Peter had not been keeping company with Gentiles, it was unlawful.

Every promise in the Bible is not mine. All of the Bible was not written to me, but it is all for me.

In Jesus Christ, Terrell

Quote Originally Posted by th1bill View Post
    ... If the Great Commission were not for today there would be no foreign missionaries on the field and I would not have been called of God into the ministry. If the Great Commission is invalid for this time then why did my LORD not slay me the day I was saved and accommodate the perfection in me that He seeks to forge into my life? This teaching is heresy.
    This is about rightly dividing the Word. When Jesus commanded the eleven in Matthew 28, he was not sending them to Gentiles, but rather to the Jews. To deny this is to deny scripture.

Proof is in the fact that the Apostles did not go to the Gentiles until 12 years later, after the Jews had rejected Christ. To the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

This is about rightly dividing the Word. When Jesus commanded the eleven in Matthew 28, he was not sending them to Gentiles, but rather to the Jews. To deny this is to deny scripture.

Proof is in the fact that the Apostles did not go to the Gentiles until 12 years later, after the Jews had rejected Christ. To the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
    The Great Commission in Matt 28/Mk 16 DID encompass Gentiles - "all the world" means "Gentiles as well as Jews"! "All the nations" - er, how many Jewish nations? More than one?

The signs followed the apostles - but the Commission didn't stop with them - we are ALL called to be witnesses - in Jerusale, Judea, Samaria, even unto the ends of the Earth. The gospel MUST be preached to all nations because it is only through the gospel that people will be saved - and if Heaven will have people "from every people, tribe, nation and tongue", then all these people/language groups must first hear the gospel and have it preached to them - there are several language/people groups in the world today that have still to hear the gospel, so His return can't happen until the full number of the Gentiles has been brought in - and THEN the end will come....

Blog Entries

Mathew 28 does in fact speak of the gentiles, and the Jews rejected Christ when they crucified Him.

Thread Information