cure-real

Thread: Worrying and trusting God

Worrying and trusting God

I'm a big worrier and today the thought kept coming to my mind that I must not have much trust in God since I worry so much. Would that be true as to why I worry so much? I've always been a big worrier and even had ulcers from it in the past. I believe I'm almost to that point again.

I do try to keep this scripture in mind when I begin worrying.

Matthew 6:25-34
    25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Blog Entries
    Worry is something I've battled, too. At some point, most people do... so it's nice to know we're not alone!

I often have prayed, "Lord, I believe.. help me with my unbelief!"

Check out these verses:
    John 14:27
    Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Peace is something we can have. Our Lord gives it to us! Yet it is something we must let rule our hearts and minds. It is something we have to actively do.

2 Corinthians 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

I had to learn that my imagination was basically my worst enemy. I could imagine up all sorts of things to worry about! My fears were things that exalted themselves against the knowledge of God, so I had to learn to bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. It's not easy! But He tells us how to do this in Philippians chapter 4.

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
    8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

As soon as you find yourself worrying, stop the flow of those thoughts and pray... pray about what you were worrying about. Then think it through and find out what the knowledge of God says about whatever you were worrying about. For me, it generally comes down to that whatever happens, God is faithful, He loves me dearly, and He will walk me through whatever comes my way. I don't need to be afraid of an event that may or may not happen, because my Lord holds me, my name is engraved in the palm of His hand and nothing can come to me but through those loving hands.

Those are things which are true, noble, just, good, virtuous and praiseworthy.

I hope that all makes sense and helps.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrus...

All children left unattended will be given an espresso and a free puppy.

Blog Entries
    I've worried all my life. My mom is a worrier too. I probably got it from her (thanks mom! [I kid, I love my mommy]).

I've learned over the years that honestly, worrying about something doesn't change a lick about it. It just makes me crazy. Then again, some of us enjoy driving ourselves crazy with worrying because it makes us feel like we're doing something (when really, we're not).

My advice to you: Turn your worries into prayer. Put them into words, TO GOD, and then trust Him to handle things. Because praying is doing something. Worrying just wastes time that can be better spent actually addressing the issues and finding a solution.

I think women are more prone to worrying than men because we tend to tackle things more so emotionally and not always rationally. Which is fine. But every worry is really undergirded by fear. And very often we worry because we feel we have no control and we're afraid of what might happen.

And so Scripture says that we are not to let fear control us, because God hasn't given us a spirit of fear, but one of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. So when you operate out of that (on purpose and proactively, instead of reactionary), instead of fear, then you're actively putting God in control instead of your feelings (which are unpredictable, unreliable, and come and go all over the map).

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
    (Isa 26:3)

(If only!)
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Thread Information