cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you know the Bible is true?

How do you know the Bible is true?

How can a person know, or have faith that the Bible is the true word of God?

Thanks,

Cent6

Quote Originally Posted by Cent6 View Post
    How can a person know, or have faith that the Bible is the true word of God?

Thanks,

Cent6
    Apply it.

If I go to the grocery and buy a box of brownies how do I know that the directions will actually produce what the picture on the box proclaims it will?
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Blog Entries
    ... There have been literally thousands of known men that have set out to prove the Bible wrong and the ending result has been that everyone of them has failed and most have been converted because they not only did not prove it wrong, they proved it true. You can search the web on the subject or you can go purchase The Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics and learn the truth on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by VerticalReality View Post
    Apply it.

If I go to the grocery and buy a box of brownies how do I know that the directions will actually produce what the picture on the box proclaims it will?
    Thanks for the response. I understand the analogy...but what exactly will be proven by "applying it?"

I think I could live the principles and morals taught in the Bible...or other non-Christian spiritual books and have a pretty good and decent life. Would that prove any spiritual book correct?

In the end, I am not sure what is being proven in your analogy.

But I do appreciate the comment and suggestion.

Thank you,

Cent6

Quote Originally Posted by th1bill View Post
    ... There have been literally thousands of known men that have set out to prove the Bible wrong and the ending result has been that everyone of them has failed and most have been converted because they not only did not prove it wrong, they proved it true. You can search the web on the subject or you can go purchase The Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics and learn the truth on this matter.
    Thanks for your comment as well.

My impression is that for all the people who believe that they have failed to disprove the Bible, there are many, many more who have studied the Bible and concluded that it is not true.

I am curious as to what Christians consider to be the provenance of the Bible...how they approach the subject...how they help others gain trust in the authenticity of the Bible.

If y ou could summarize the Baker Encyclopedia...that would be most kind of you.

Thank you,

Cent6

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the response. I understand the analogy...but what exactly will be proven by "applying it?"
    You would be showing that the many claims of the Bible are... True and accurate.

I think I could live the principles and morals taught in the Bible...or other non-Christian spiritual books and have a pretty good and decent life. Would that prove any spiritual book correct?
    The question is this: which has a proper foundation for it's teachings? Atheist morality, for instance, might be just as 'good persony' as 'religious morality'. However, if in the end there is no right or wrong or even morality, why would I follow it?

Good question. Very good question. For me personally, I trust God, so I trust His word. I don't question someone who I know can see the whole picture of things, where I see only a little.

That's me.

For you to be able to know, I would say, maybe, just sit down and start reading it with an open mind and heart, and see where that leads you. For starters.
    Why are you looking for love
    Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough
    To where will you go child
    Tell me where will you run
    To where will you run

Quote Originally Posted by Xel'Naga View Post
    The question is this: which has a proper foundation for it's teachings? Atheist morality, for instance, might be just as 'good persony' as 'religious morality'. However, if in the end there is no right or wrong or even morality, why would I follow it?
    I guess that is the question that is at the heart of the matter. You seem to be suggesting a form of relative moralism to confirm the Bible. (Not trying to be argumentative.) If a subjective view of morality is the standard by which a religious text is deemed to be true...isn't that in the eye of the beholder? Using that method, almost any religious text could be deemed true if you agree with the teachings and morality contained in the writing.

For example, the Theravada, Apocrypha, The Five Classics, the Sruti, the Qur'an, The Satanic Bible...to name a few...are deemed true by their believers and adherents that accept the morality contained in those books.

I am interested in how the Bible can be authenticated.

I do appreciate your comments and thoughts.

Cent6

Quote Originally Posted by aliveinchrist View Post
    Good question. Very good question. For me personally, I trust God, so I trust His word. I don't question someone who I know can see the whole picture of things, where I see only a little.

That's me.

For you to be able to know, I would say, maybe, just sit down and start reading it with an open mind and heart, and see where that leads you. For starters.
    Thanks. That sounds like you recommend a faith approach. Just read it and accept it.

Interesting.

Cent6

Another thought or two...

It seems to me that in order to accept Christianity, one must accept the Bible as the word of God. Without the Bible...particularly the New Testament...there is no basis for the claims of Christianity. Thus, determining the authenticity of the Bible is central.

And once you deem the Bible to be true, you have to wrap your head around interpreting what it means.

Soooo...I am on step one...asking how to authenticate the Bible.

Thanks,

Cent6

No, I said I trust it, because I trust God. That's ME and my reasons.

For you, I'm not saying read it. accept it. Period. You're seeking Christ and asking valid questions. There's no way I can tell you to "read it. accept it."

I'm saying read it, and see where that leads you. (How do you feel afterwards? What do you think of? Has it answered any questions?)
    Why are you looking for love
    Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough
    To where will you go child
    Tell me where will you run
    To where will you run

Blog Entries
    I guess that is the question that is at the heart of the matter. You seem to be suggesting a form of relative moralism to confirm the Bible. (Not trying to be argumentative.) If a subjective view of morality is the standard by which a religious text is deemed to be true...isn't that in the eye of the beholder? Using that method, almost any religious text could be deemed true if you agree with the teachings and morality contained in the writing.

For example, the Theravada, Apocrypha, The Five Classics, the Sruti, the Qur'an, The Satanic Bible...to name a few...are deemed true by their believers and adherents that accept the morality contained in those books.

I am interested in how the Bible can be authenticated.

I do appreciate your comments and thoughts.

Cent6
    I'm not suggesting a relative form of moralism at all.

In the end, I am not sure what is being proven in your analogy.

But I do appreciate the comment and suggestion.

Thank you,

Cent6
    The Word of God doesn't just teach principles and morals. It speaks of a personal and intimate relationship with our Creator through the One (Jesus Christ) He sent to atone for our iniquity.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Cent6, if you're really serious about this issue take the time to read a good book about it. Here is a link to a worthwhile book about the Bible.
    http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/divine.htm

Blog Entries
    Another thought or two...

It seems to me that in order to accept Christianity, one must accept the Bible as the word of God. Without the Bible...particularly the New Testament...there is no basis for the claims of Christianity. Thus, determining the authenticity of the Bible is central.

And once you deem the Bible to be true, you have to wrap your head around interpreting what it means.

Soooo...I am on step one...asking how to authenticate the Bible.

Thanks,

Cent6
    I wouldn't try to authenticate the Bible right away. I would start with the NT, the Gospels say, and use your own judgment whether it rings true for you or not. I personally learned to trust Jesus because I read what he said and agreed with him. I heard the truth in what he said. It rang true to me.

For instance, when he said that we ought to love our neighbor as our self, I thought about it and I knew that the world would be a better place if we all did that. I found wisdom in what he said. Not only that, he was suggesting that I use my own sense of what ought to be done to me as a model for what I ought to do for others and that also made a ton of sense to me. I thought, "yea, if I can get a sense for how others are perceiving me, maybe I can sympathize with their position and this can help me figure out what I should be doing about it."

I could multiply examples but I think you get the picture. To be a Christian is to follow Jesus and to follow Jesus you need to hear Jesus and decide whether he speaks the truth. Don't just accept anyone's word that he speaks the truth. Listen to him yourself and if you hear the truth in his words then hopefully you come to trust him.

Thread Information