Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you know the Bible is true?

Re: How do you know the Bible is true?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch987 View Post
    Oddly, the bible can be proved by it's "errors." First Corinthians 10:8 23000 are killed in one day. Numbers 25:9, 24000 total are killed. Why the almost "error"?
    Numbers 3,the 3 family clans of Levite males total 22000 rounded. Accurate sum is 22300. If an accurate sum is used, the story is changed.
    Answer: 23 represents Jesus. The Levites cheat the firstborn sons in Numbers 3 is prophecy but YHWY will continue to work through the Levites. Their total is 23000 in Numbers 26:62 which is the census after the 40 year wilderness wandering.
    Reason not to believe in the Bible? Trying to achieve salvation by obeying the sermon on the mount is too hard.
    Another reason, you don't want to be living martyr mislead by the bible interpretation that one has no right to protect oneself.
    Another oddity of the Bible, it's okay to lie to prevent a murder (the midwives of Exodus 1:20) but that won't be preached from the pulpit.
    Another reason to not believe, is Jesus the firstborn son of God or the coeternal God the Son?
    In other words, the historical church doesn't want me to believe the words written in the bible. Luke 9:35 (Jesus was chosen by God), Hebrews 1:8-9 (Jesus was anointed by God).
    But in favor of the coeternal 3 persons of the Triune God, the plural form of Elohim requires at least 3 persons.
    I Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Jude
    If Jesus had preached the same message that ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified.

~ Leonard Ravenhill

Unique Authorship: The Bible is composed of 66 books written by some 40 writers over a period of 16 centuries, from 1513 B.C.E. to about 98 C.E. Still, its content is harmonious and coherent throughout. This proves that its real Author is the almighty God. He revealed the information to the men who penned it.

Historical Accuracy: Events recorded in the Bible are in full harmony with proven historical facts. The book A Lawyer Examines the Bible remarks: “While romances, legends and false testimony are careful to place the events related in some distant place and some indefinite time, . . . the Bible narratives give us the date and place of the things related with the utmost precision.”

Scientific Accuracy: The Bible is not a science textbook, but when it touches on scientific matters, it reflects an accuracy far ahead of its time. For example, in chapters 13 and 14 of the book of Leviticus, detailed laws on hygiene and quarantine were given to the Israelites, long before people knew anything about germs and contagion. The Bible also speaks of the earth as being round and suspended in space, facts that were not fully understood by science until centuries later.—Job 26:7; Isaiah 40:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Cent6 View Post
    How can a person know, or have faith that the Bible is the true word of God?

Thanks,

Cent6
    Put it to the test. Tear it apart. Examine it with skepticism. That is what I did.

I decided to really examine the evidence of whether Jesus was true or not. I've always believed. I just didn't want to end up like all those muslims who believe just as much as I did. We cannot both be right. I knew about the OT prophecies of Messiah, so I decided not to use the NT as it "could" have been manufactured from these prophecies. I took the OT only at first. Before that, I tested it with many historical records for months. Once I was convinced of the OT I set up to find the answer to the following questions using the OT alone.

1. Does God even have a son?
    2. When will he be sent into the world?
    3. Why will he be sent into the world?
    4. What is his name?
    5. Where will he be sent?
    6. If he was Jesus, why did he die?

If these could be found in the NT, then it was time to get serious about Jesus. I found 10 times what I expected to find. All these and more. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind, after about 2000 hours of research, that Jesus is the promised Messiah, the Son of God. I could have saved a lot of time by just reading a book on the subject, but this is too important to take anyone's word for it. I had to do this for myself.

The Bible can only be described as 'harmonious and coherent throughout' if you start with the assumption that it is, and then use this to remove the pieces which are neither harmonious nor coherent.

Would you like a harmonious explanation for how salvation is achieved? Simply choose one of the following, then use it as the commentary for the others:

Salvation is obtained by keeping all the commandments, selling all you possess and giving to the poor.
    All that is needed for salvation is to call on the name of the Lord.
    Faith is all that is needed for salvation.
    By feeding at least one hungry person, clothing at least one naked person and visiting at least one person in prison, you can obtain salvation.
    By making sure there is not a single hungry person you have not fed, not a single naked person you have not clothed and not a single person in prison you have not visited, salvation may be yours, unless the hungry, naked and imprisoned people who lived before you were born count.
    Salvation is by being born of water and the spirit, whatever those terms mean.
    Salvation is by being in a group that is predestined to be saved.
    Salvation is by other means, not mentioned above, or by a combination of some of the above.

You may need a great deal of commentary in order to make it harmonious, depending on which one you want.

Blog Entries

The only disharmony I see in your list are the bullet points are completely out of context with the portions they are contained in.

It doesn't take any "commentary," to harmonize them other than reading read all of them in the correct context with the narratives.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidYoung View Post
    The Bible can only be described as 'harmonious and coherent throughout' if you start with the assumption that it is, and then use this to remove the pieces which are neither harmonious nor coherent.

Would you like a harmonious explanation for how salvation is achieved? Simply choose one of the following, then use it as the commentary for the others:

Salvation is obtained by keeping all the commandments, selling all you possess and giving to the poor.
    All that is needed for salvation is to call on the name of the Lord.
    Faith is all that is needed for salvation.
    By feeding at least one hungry person, clothing at least one naked person and visiting at least one person in prison, you can obtain salvation.
    By making sure there is not a single hungry person you have not fed, not a single naked person you have not clothed and not a single person in prison you have not visited, salvation may be yours, unless the hungry, naked and imprisoned people who lived before you were born count.
    Salvation is by being born of water and the spirit, whatever those terms mean.
    Salvation is by being in a group that is predestined to be saved.
    Salvation is by other means, not mentioned above, or by a combination of some of the above.

You may need a great deal of commentary in order to make it harmonious, depending on which one you want.
    Oh my, David. Where did you get all of this? This is such a distortion of what was said. We need no commentary to fix this. If you want, we could take these one at a time and see that was really said.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Here is a way to harmonise them:
    Jesus of Nazareth believed in something called 'eternal life' and that it could be obtained by keeping the commandments, selling all one's possessions and giving the resultant proceeds to the poor.

That's it.

Such behaviour is also called 'having faith', 'calling on the name of the Lord' and 'being born of water and the spirit'. So long as something in the commandments also includes visiting a person in prison, either literally or figuratively, that fits as well. People who behave in this way are part of a group a later New Testament writer would describe as being part of the elect.

There you go. I've harmonised them, and my harmonisation has the advantage that Jesus is not quoted as saying anything which is the opposite of what the words he is quoted as saying mean.
    Last edited by DavidYoung; Mar 19th 2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Added 'and the spirit'

Thread Information