cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Egyptian God Horus vs. Jesus Christ

The Egyptian God Horus vs. Jesus Christ

Recently critics of my new found faith have been slamming me with facts about Horus, an ancient Egyptian God and all his parallels to Jesus Christ.

Can anyone on this board give me a Christian response that Jesus was not simply the Horus story rewritten?

Blog Entries
    Sure... All those facts they are giving you are historically incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetEnigma View Post
    Recently critics of my new found faith have been slamming me with facts about Horus, an ancient Egyptian God and all his parallels to Jesus Christ.

Can anyone on this board give me a Christian response that Jesus was not simply the Horus story rewritten?
    It's called historical ignorance. . .of maybe "Egyptian mythological ignorance" would be a better term. Nail down a specific claim, do some basic research, revel in the ignorance you expose. . .allright so that last part isn't particularly Christ-like but you get the idea.

Blog Entries
    http://www.gotquestions.org/zeitgeist-movie.html
    http://benwitherington.blogspot.com/...ist-movie.html

here's some links to what you want. i wouldn't worry, like Xel said, it's what we call incorrect information.

Blog Entries

Hey..I tried posting information to you last night on your other post where you mentioned this but the board stopped responding so I didn't get it on there. Anyway I did manage to save it:

I've been under much scrutiny with my newfound faith in real life. My friends and family bombard me with questions I sometimes cannot answer. Like this past weekend, everyone told me Jesus is nonsense and He is just a carbon copy of the Egyptian God- Horus. I read about their parallels and I see why people feel that way... but in my heart I feel like Jesus is Truth. I can close my eyes and it's just a feeling I get that Christ was and is who He said He was...

Buh. It makes me think though.. what is faith? Does is it have to be a solid belief and knowledge or can it just be a gut feeling? Does it really exist when I question certain facts all the time? My gut tells me Jesus Christ is Lord, but my head swims with all these contradictions- like Horus and a plethora of critics. Sometimes I get lost trying to listen to my heart or my head? They are in constant debate.
    I have dealt with that before about Horus and many other 'sun gods'..its so bad on youtube due to certain video's on there attacking our faith that I made my own about it: Jesus was not a sun god

Its not the greatest video...but I loaded it with as much information as I could in the time allowed....they get this from the Zeitgeist movie which is all over the net and if people would just look at their sources they would see all their information comes from atheist AND the whole thing was to bash Bush and promote Ron Paul..no one ever looked that far though. They went after Bush's faith in an attempt to undermine him by first trying to disprove Christianity and also to try to say Bush had planned the 911 attacks among other things. So I tried to cover some of that in my description area too:
    For more information to go the Christian think tank for the copycat savior myth:

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/co... http://www.christian-thinktank.com/co...
    http://www.christian-thinktank.com/st...

The picture of Horus in the underworld is "Courtesy of Windows to the Universe, http://www.windows.ucar.edu" Also another excellent site for this type of research.

More and more websites and video's are coming up on the net stating that the life of Jesus is nothing more then a copy of Egyptian gods. They name a long list of suffering, dying and rising gods that have supposedly done many of the same things Jesus did. While many of these sites offer little to no evidence this is true but just copy their information from other sites, the few sites that do offer the names of books for references don't tell you that research has long ago been debunked and they are just recycling old untrue information.....though they may not even realize it themselves.

Glen, at the Christianthinktank has done an indepth study on all of these gods and on close examination finds little about their story as being the same as the life of Jesus. For those that feel they cannot trust a Christian site, PLEASE then go to a reliable Egyptian or pagan gods site to see if any of these gods had a life like Jesus'. Check and see who is running whatever site you find yourself on, and see what their views are. Check out their sources also. Also look for sites run by museums or universities as they tend to only present the facts and are not slanted by their beliefs.

There was no way I could cover this as well as Glen does or cover all the 'gods' in question here, but he does on his site and gives refences to his resources for anyone to view. Other links: http://www.carm.org/evidence/mithra.htm
    http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/gods/ex...

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/08/06/...
    In regards to the Zeitgeist movie:
    "The video's producer does inform us that "It is my hope that people will not take what is said in the film as the truth,but find out for themselves, for truth is not told, it is realized."

So why are people believing it? Apparently because they want too????

There is little to nothing true in this movie actually. Why in the world people are buying it is beyond me. Go to any reliable Egyptian site and you will find very little in common with these gods compared to the life of Jesus. Here is one that isn't slanted to bash the Christian faith: http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/gods/ex...
    One of the sources listed in the Zeitgeist movie is by Acharya S who is also known as D. M. Murdock, also listed as a source but is actually the same person, has her own website to disprove Christianity. In other words, she has an agenda. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acharya_S
    I would suspect every author listed (notice no page numbers in their books is given) has an agenda, mostly bent to discredit Christianity. Allegro, John - The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth, Prometheus Books is listed as a source...apparently he doesn't like the dead sea scrolls which help prove the Christian bible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mar...

For those of you that think the movie is true regarding the events of 911 I want you to go to this link: http://www.popularmechanics.com/techn...
    "Debunking the 9/11 Myths: Special Report
    Popular Mechanics examines the evidence and consults the experts to refute the most persistent conspiracy theories of September 11."

So more then likely this is the source of your friends information.

Don't let doubt creep in...always come here and ask and the Christian think tank is a great source too to get information from. I am sorry your friends aren't being very 'friendly' and open minded in allowing you to believe what you feel is true. They expect us to do this for them...but then don't want it to work the other way...

(PS I didn't want to derail your other post since you were focusing more on whether faith was a feeling or not..hope you don't mind I quoted that post because originally that was where I was going to post this...then I saw this post by you this morning)

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries
    on a side note, there was a time when i avoided things pertaining to my 'belief' because i was scared that it might be disproved. i thought if i looked hard enough something would devistate my basis for faith, and so i sheltered myself slighlty. i always felt threatened by liturature or videos (zeighist comes to mind)

what i've learned, now more than ever is don't be scared to investigate anything relating to your faith, because you won't be dissapointed. there are books of studies of everything from the bible it's self to arguments for God to Jesus in history etc...it's all there.

and i know what you mean about friends bugging you. i always got a couple questions that i couldn't answer and then they would conclude (mistakenly) that the answer doesn't exist, when really i just didn't know it. it gets hard sometimes.

here's a decent site that has lots of juicy stuff about Christianity.
    http://www.gotquestions.org/archive.html

out.

My roommate has done extensive study on this. The entire argument is based on a poet who had laymen's understanding of Egyptology and interpreted Egyptian mythology astrologically. In other words, he didn't look to what was actually taught, but what he thought it might be teaching.

In fact, the story of Horus as found in the Egyptian Book of the Dead is nothing as described by many people who attempt to say that the story of Jesus and Horus are similar.

I'll post more later when I can start giving you primary source information.

"The name "Horus" is a general catchall for multiple deities, the most famous of whom is Harseisis (Heru-sa-Aset) or Horus-son-of-Isis (sometimes called Horus the Younger) who was conceived after the death of his father, Osiris, and who later avenged him. In all the Horus deities the traits of kingship, sky and solar symbology, and victory reoccur. As the prototype of the earthly king, there were as many Horus gods as there were rulers of Egypt, if not more."
    http://www.pantheon.org/articles/h/horus.html

Jesus is the image of the invisible God (Col. 1:16)

Horus is a demon god created by blinded and deceived rock builders to fill the holes in their vain lives.

I think that's all you need.

Smile response to Jesus and Horus comparison

1. There is proof that Jesus was an actual person.
    2. There are records of His crucifixion.
    3. Jesus died for the sins of man. Horus did not.
    4. Jesus conquered death through resurrection. Horus did not.
    5. At the name of Jesus, demons flee. Demons do not flee at the name of Horus.
    6. The name Jesus means "savior". Horus, in Egyptian hieroglyphics, means "falcon".
    7. Jesus died through crucifixion. Horus died after being stung by a scorpion.
    8. Jesus says He is God. In the Old Testament, God defeated the Egyptian gods. Horus is an Egyptian god. Therefore, God defeated Horus. How can one defeat oneself? Jesus says in the Bible that a house divided cannot stand. Matt 12:25, Mark 3:25, Luke 11:17
    9. Jesus said that the devil is the father of lies. John 8:44 Therefore, do not be deceived by this comparison of Jesus and Horus.
    10. The Bible says that the devil disguises himself as an angel of light. 2 Corinthians 11:14

I hope that helps. Stay faithful to Jesus. He is coming soon!

Blog Entries

They are not slamming you with "facts", but fantasy. The internet generation is singularly ill equipped to do it's own research. Next time they tell you a "fact" about Horus, ask them what primary texts they have examined, what archaeological evidence they can direct you towards to support their theories.

They will come out with a lot of huff and bluff, I'm sure, but they won't be able to give you any direct evidence, because there is none. They might tell you that such and such an expert believes it though.

You on the other hand have read first century accounts of Christ from eyewitnesses to His ministry.

Just remember... people are not educated anymore to undertake academic research. I'll bet these people are not classically trained Egyptologists... or even historians at all.

Don't worry about it. Pray for them.
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

satan, for centuries, has always been trying to make a cheap copy-cat of the true God Jehovah.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemetal View Post
    on a side note, there was a time when i avoided things pertaining to my 'belief' because i was scared that it might be disproved. i thought if i looked hard enough something would devistate my basis for faith, and so i sheltered myself slighlty. i always felt threatened by liturature or videos (zeighist comes to mind)

what i've learned, now more than ever is don't be scared to investigate anything relating to your faith, because you won't be dissapointed. there are books of studies of everything from the bible it's self to arguments for God to Jesus in history etc...it's all there.

and i know what you mean about friends bugging you. i always got a couple questions that i couldn't answer and then they would conclude (mistakenly) that the answer doesn't exist, when really i just didn't know it. it gets hard sometimes.

here's a decent site that has lots of juicy stuff about Christianity.
    http://www.gotquestions.org/archive.html

out.
    one thing thats going to bug you is you will probley for a while be interested in all things that slander a foward faith. but god says all things are for the better good. even death is part of this better good. we can never explain this or grasp the fact. just go with the flow. god is real so when you feel your slanding to far away ask god to be with you and forgiveness should be asked for if you pervert your mind to much. I deffinatly was on a trip that all things were better then jesus.

One things ive noticed is most christians do not think most other stories are true. mythology has alot of false gods beings that are worshiped as gods because of the sin thats in mans mind. the bible mentions angels,sons of god, elohim, jehova, osiris, baalm, lucifer, satan and other gods the fact is if you think on the resurection youll be saved. its the craziest story youve ever had the complete reason to believe.

before jesus was ever born you learn about the god who will create him. with in the 40 books his life is prothesied to live and die the way he did. then the new testment he came died and lived again for ever. its crazy but the rest of the books are about the truth of it all..

jesus said test the spirit and ask him to guide you. its not bad that you wont to learn knowlage. just know thats all it is. because wisdom comes from god. and the others gods fall into a list of gods. thats not god. so when you read keep in mind its not all godly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by youngjoshuatree View Post
    the bible mentions angels,sons of god, elohim, jehova, osiris, baalm, lucifer, satan and other gods...
    Angels, the Sons of God and Elohim / Jehovah should not be in that list. Elohim / Jehovah are the same God, just as Lucifer / Satan are the same devil, just different title.

The other two gods that do belong there are Osiris (the Bible mentions Osiris?) and Baal, maybe also Asherah.

if i were you i wouldnt belive everything i heard and do some research on real translations not just lisiten to what ever you hear online and through people
    http://stupidevilbastard.com/index/s...myth_of_horus/
    here is an atheist who read through the stories and found the truth

Thread Information