cure-real

Thread: Reading the Bible

Reading the Bible

I just started reading the Bible a couple days ago, at the beginning. It is SO amazing! I'm still in the beginnings of Genesis, but it's so amazing how everything clicks together...ya know? Like why and when he made government, how "incest" came to (*shudders* I could of skipped on reading that....) how different religions came to be.....it's so COOL how it's all fitting together. It amazes me how people can say the Bible isn't true, when EVERYTHING it says, lines up with EVERYTHING in this world. I can't wait to get to the New Testament, but I wanted to read the Old Testament first so I know how it ties in with the NT. I'm so excited to read more.

Anybody have any "revelations" of their own while reading the Bible?

It's interesting how they say Sodom and Gomorrah is supposed to be below the Dead Sea. The Bible refers to it as the "Salt Sea". They found the Dead Sea Scrolls in a cave the was below the water. AND this proves that people DID live in caves then........so scientists are right about that, anyways.

One thing I don't understand: I was reading how Lot backslid three times, but I don't understand how he did. What did he do specifically that caused him to backslide? (I don't have my bible handy, it's upstairs, so I can't post the verses.)
    Why are you looking for love
    Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough
    To where will you go child
    Tell me where will you run
    To where will you run

can you post the verses to where lot backslid when you get a chance? I'm interested in that.

Thanks!

Yeah I'm not sure where the backsliding in Lot's life took place. Unless you mean that he separated from Abraham.

I love the Bible! It is an amazing book! Parts of the Old Testament read like a soap opera and the prophesies are just amazing. And the New Testament is so wonderful! My favorite woman in the Old Testament is Jael - you will just have to read and find out why and I also like a woman who is in one of the apocryphyl books of the Bible - Judith. I have not read all of the apocryphya yet, but have read some just to read the stories and some of it I can see why it is not included in the canon of the Bible because it does seem different, but I really liked the story of Judith. and Jael. They were very faithful and strong women. I like Ruth a lot too. And Rahab.

As far as Lot is concerned, from what I recall, he and Abraham split up and Abraham let Lot chose which way to go and Lot went in the direction of the better pasture land (someone please correct me if I have mixed this up with some other story) and Lot wound up living in Sodom which was an evil city. So, he was living in corruption. Abraham wanted Lot saved out of there because they were family and I suppose he cared for Lot, but as is shown by the story, Lot and his family had been corrupted by living in such a corrupt city.
    ...be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man, that Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith, that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are and to know the knowledge-surpassing love of Christ, that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God. Eph. 3:16-19

Quote Originally Posted by aliveinchrist View Post
    I just started reading the Bible a couple days ago, at the beginning. It is SO amazing! I'm still in the beginnings of Genesis, but it's so amazing how everything clicks together...ya know? Like why and when he made government, how "incest" came to (*shudders* I could of skipped on reading that....) how different religions came to be.....it's so COOL how it's all fitting together. It amazes me how people can say the Bible isn't true, when EVERYTHING it says, lines up with EVERYTHING in this world. I can't wait to get to the New Testament, but I wanted to read the Old Testament first so I know how it ties in with the NT. I'm so excited to read more.

It's interesting how they say Sodom and Gomorrah is supposed to be below the Dead Sea. The Bible refers to it as the "Salt Sea". They found the Dead Sea Scrolls in a cave the was below the water. AND this proves that people DID live in caves then........so scientists are right about that, anyways.

One thing I don't understand: I was reading how Lot backslid three times, but I don't understand how he did. What did he do specifically that caused him to backslide? (I don't have my bible handy, it's upstairs, so I can't post the verses.)
    Just keep up the reading once you hit Leviticus. I've seen many people start reading the Bible who just fly through Genesis and Exodus because of the exciting narrative and then hit the wall and quit once they hit Leviticus. Leviticus does not have much of a narrative and is a much harder read. But Stick with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aliveinchrist View Post

I use an online bible search site to find and post scriptures: http://www.biblegateway.com/

You can type in a keyword and then select the bible translation you want to use and which part of the bible you want it to search in...OT or NT, etc. Then click on search and it will come up with all the verses with that word in it. Then find the one you want. Or you can type in the book, chapter and verse and it will find that too. Then you just copy and paste it on here.

As far as I know the Dead Sea Scrolls were never underwater. It would have ruined them if they were. The book of Ester was ruined (after they found the scrolls) because a guy was fearful of someone stealing them so buried that scroll. The moisture in the ground ruined it. They are dried up and when unrolled break into pieces as it is....so they have had to put all the pieces back together in order to read them. They found in cave high up in the cliffs.

Anyway yes I am reading through the OT now also. And I do enjoy it.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Talking Hello, aliveinchrist

I am happy that you are reading the Bible and that you love doing so.

I started reading the Bible seriously more than thirty years ago. And after reading the Koran, I can tell you that the Bible is a great Book. I have read through the Bible several times, yet I am not fed up with it.

Please allow me to share some things with you about the way you should go about your Bible reading.

Donít get stuck with the Old Testament alone. Divide your Bible reading time between the Old and the New Testaments. Read from the Old Testament and from the New Testament. You see, I am afraid you may get stuck before you get to Deuteronomy. Leviticus, for example, isnít the easiest and the most interesting Books in the Bible.

The Old Testament is a large Book, anyway. You canít wait till you read through it before you begin to benefit from the great Divine Wisdom of God to His people through the New Testament writers. There are truths in the New Testament that you need to learn immediately you begin your New Life in Christ. There are delicious spiritual meats that you need to eat as soon as you begin to follow Christ.

God bless you.

The trouble with Lot is that he put his worldly interest before spiritual interest. He never learned the secret of seeking the will of God concerning his life and obeying it. He chose with alacrity to separate himself from Abraham. He failed to realize that the blessing of God he was enjoying was due mainly to his proximity with the man God had made it his duty to bless. He lifted up his worldly eyes and saw the land of Sodom and Gomorrah as the garden of the Lord. Genesis 13:10.

Even, when he later found out that the land was not the garden of God he had foolishly imagined it to be, he remained there. Why should he bother himself with the sinful way the people were living? His business was thriving and the men were not really interfering with him!

Lot, though regarded as a righteous man, failed to observe some simple biblical rules:

• Seek the will of God for your life and obey it - Pro 3:5; Jer 10:23; Pro 20:24
    • Donít put your interest before that of the Lord Ė Philp 2:21; Col 3:1-2; John 2:15-17
    • Donít run around with the rough crowds, or some of the roughness will rub off on you - 2Cor 6:17

Thread Information