cure-real
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Martial Artist

Blog Entries
    The dragon himself: Bruce Lee

Blog Entries
    Bruce Lee was pretty good at ping pong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QHslHpK4-Q
    As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Jerome1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    An accomplished BJJ practitioner is a formidable opponent as long as his opponent is singular and not 2 or 3 opponents at once.

My favs TV/Movies: Chuck Norris, BB Jones, Mr Miyagi, Samo, Gymkata

My favs traditional: Morihei Ueshiba, Hironori Otsuka, Choki Motobu, Morio Higaonna

My favs MMA: Fedor, CroKop, Rickson, Uriah Faber

My favorite single all-time to have on my team in a death-match, when all hope was lost, and only one person might help you survive: Ohio native, and grand-greatest-grand 10,000 dan master Todd Weeks.
    I didn't know you liked mma, Fedor is my favourite fighter too. Pity Pride is gone.

Jerome1 Guest
    Fedor Emelianenko incase anyone doesn't know who i'm talking about.

Check him out on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BukB1...ndex=10&fmt=18

Blog Entries
    Bruce Lee and Wayne Dalgish.
    Wayne Dalgish on Youtube

Well remember that martial arts is the "art of war" so literally on a battlefield setting is where they were used. Now our military does use their branch of ju-jitsu, military ju-jitsu, which isn't all about nice looking ways to knock out or kill your enemy but whatever is fastest deadliest and leaves you out of trouble.

Which is exactly what MMA does. It takes the hard punches from boxing the takedowns from wrestling the submissions from ju-jitsu knees and elbows from muy thai kicks from kickboxing muy thai tae kwon doe and other martial arts.

Though MMA doesn't have the formal setting of a dojo where you bow to your opponent and recieve a belt after completing several tasks I still believe it can be called a martial art considering that it can be used, and probably is, in a war setting. Nothing to flashy in a cage fight but you do see devestating blows. No leaping side kicks since they can put you in danger.

Though basic martial arts are also interesting to learn I believe that they wouldn't stand a chance against an MMA artist since they have a broader stricking game.

So if you're looking for tradition then stick to a formal dojo and martial art. But if you're looking for the best way to knock out your opponent then go to an MMA place.

I have experience in both dojo and an MMA training. To be honest I learned more in my MMA than I did in my dojo training. I had 2 years of Karate maybe about half a year in Tae Kwon Do and 3 years in MMA and 2 years in wrestling. In MMA I completely changed the way that I kick. Before I would pivot my foot, in karate and tae kwon do, but in MMA my coach had me step out at an angel open up my legs to have more of an impact on my kick and more of a drive through.

So again it is based upon the individual on what he or she is looking for. Both are arts of war.

The body, the most complex system and weapon known to man.
    9For zeal for Your house has consumed me,
    And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me.
    Psalm 69:9

4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
    James 4:4

19 You believe that God is one You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder
    James 2:19

"5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." Genesis 6:5

Royce Gracie.I was a Bruce Lee fan in my teens as millions of others were. I was a wrestler in high school and took up judo in my late twenties.I love the throws,holdowns,chokes and submissive holds.I was a fan of UFC until they changed rules,added rounds and time limits. I guess they got tired of grapplers winning!

Jerome1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KATMAN View Post
    Royce Gracie.I was a Bruce Lee fan in my teens as millions of others were. I was a wrestler in high school and took up judo in my late twenties.I love the throws,holdowns,chokes and submissive holds.I was a fan of UFC until they changed rules,added rounds and time limits. I guess they got tired of grapplers winning!
    You mean they introduced rules, there was very few rules in the early UFC's, anything went apart from biting and eye gouging, and one or two other things as far as i am aware. I think things like headbutts, groin shots, and soccer kicks to a downed apponent were all allowed. If you like that sort of thing you would like Vale Tudo, or the old Pride rules. Pride was not as brutal, i actually preferred Pride's rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome1 View Post
    You mean they introduced rules, there was very few rules in the early UFC's, anything went apart from biting and eye gouging, and one or two other things as far as i am aware. I think things like headbutts, groin shots, and soccer kicks to a downed apponent were all allowed. If you like that sort of thing you would like Vale Tudo, or the old Pride rules. Pride was not as brutal, i actually preferred Pride's rules.
    No,not the violence or the viciousness of it all,no. I'm saying that they went to more like boxing rounds,time limits,etc.I know that the few MMA shows I've watched was more like a boxing setting.The Gracies were undefeated in Brazil because they had no time limits. Head butts,groin kicks,and eye gouging should stay on the streets were it belongs. I also liked the fact back in the old days in the UFC you got to see different styles going at it.Now they're all the same.

Jerome1 Guest
    No,not the violence or the viciousness of it all,no. I'm saying that they went to more like boxing rounds,time limits,etc.I know that the few MMA shows I've watched was more like a boxing setting.The Gracies were undefeated in Brazil because they had no time limits. Head butts,groin kicks,and eye gouging should stay on the streets were it belongs. I also liked the fact back in the old days in the UFC you got to see different styles going at it.Now they're all the same.
    Oh right, i'm not familiar with the round times etc in the early UFC's. You should check out video's of Pride on youtube, they had a ten minute first round and two five minute rounds after. They also had different rules from the UFC, they disallowed elbows, but allowed knees to a downed opponent, soccer kicks to a downed opponent, and foot stomps to a down opponent. Sounds pretty brutal, but the organisation lasted for around ten years and there were no serious injuries.

I would have to say the guy who trained Bruce Lee lol

I also liked the fact back in the old days in the UFC you got to see different styles going at it.Now they're all the same.
    They're all the same though, because people very quickly found out what worked and what didn't. In the early UFC days any guy with a black belt would muster up, even if he'd never taken a punch from a brawler. The early days pretty much vetted out impractical styles. If you couldn't grapple, odds were against you. If you couldn't transition or take down, odds were against you. And if you couldn't take a punch, then odds were DEFINITELY against you.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird777 View Post
    Alright, we have a lot of stuff about UFC and mixed martial arts, which isn't martial arts at all! As best said by Masutatsu Oyama:

So my point with that is that UFC is not real martial arts. I'm not saying it's difficult and training-intensive, but it UFC members and MMA members should not be mentioned...unless they truly dedicate to one or two specific styles and study the art rather than just trying to be better than the next person.

SO...onto my favorite martial artists:

• Gichin Funakoshi
    • Sosai Masutatsu Oyama
    • Bruce Lee
    • Chuck Norris (yeah yeah...I know...)
    • Jet Li
    So...does anyone know any actual true martial artists that they like?
    You have'nt seen a real Martial Arts Master, until you've seen Pootie Tang fight.

Inez Ky Pop. 600 as they said on HEE HAW Salute
    This a no brainer The dragon, Bruce Lee,and if you don't believe that you would probably vote for Van Dam LOL
    I was alive without the Law ,the Commandment came sin revived and I died

Thread Information