cure-real

Thread: Any gamers here?

Any gamers here?

I noticed this in New Posts, and started to reply, but then I realized it was on Solomon's Porch.

Well, I know lots of women who are into gaming. Surely there must be some here?

I'm mostly a roleplayer. I started out with AD&D, 1st edition, back when it was brand new. Nobody had PCs then, so the RPGs were all manually operated, powered by funny shaped dice, painted lead figurines and a good imagination. I also played and GMed a lot of Traveler, Aftermath, Fantasy Hero, Danger International, Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun, Champions, and many others.

But as more of my friends are older with careers and family responsibilities, it's become harder and harder to get in-person roleplaying groups together.

So now nearly all my gaming is on PC. (No, I don't own any consoles, and don't want to: I like to be able to hack and mod my games, and that only works on PC. Also, the types of games I like tend to be exclusively for PC.)

I used to play a lot of EverQuest, then Star Wars Galaxies, followed by Worlds of Warcraft... but all those online RP games are endless time sinks.

So on to single-player RP games: the Baldur's Gate and Fallout series are my all-time favorites. I'm still playing Morrowind (with a gazillion mods), and haven't worn it out yet. I'm looking forward to Oblivion, and to Fallout 3, though both will have to wait until I can afford a major computer upgrade.

What are y'all playing?
    Man's ego is inflated, his laws are outdated, they don't apply no more
    You can't rely no more to be standing around waiting
    In the home of the brave, Jefferson turning over in his grave
    Fools glorifying themselves, trying to manipulate Satan
    And there's a slow, slow train coming up around the bend.

well, when we turned our life over to Christ we quit gaming with Dand D type games. We love games like Civ IV, Mech Warrior, Age of Empires, and there are several war games that we play that are WWII stuff.
    much of the role playing games are geared towards creating your own religion and even in fantasy that is against God's standards of walking with him. After I read that was one of the main goals of the game in the headmasters books I was pretty much done.
    What computer games do you like? if any?
    We loved to paint lead figures. Have you ever played flames of War? we have painted many a figure and sold em. right now we are into an old game called Pirates. very fun for the younger kids.

Blog Entries
    I'm a big gamer, having grown up with Pong () and then moved on to Atari, then Nintendo, and made that switch from console to computer gaming when I could actually afford a computer, and haven't looked back.

I did try D&D back in my teenage years but not for long, could never get into it.

I used to play my way through single person games but then ended up catching the online bug and played City of Heroes for 3 years, now WoW for 3-1/2 years. Tried EQ and EQII but those didn't do anything for me and I only lasted a couple months each. I've been in the same WoW guild for 3 years now and before then was in the same CoH Supergroup for a couple years, and it's really fun when you can bond with people and just have a good time playing the same game while you chit chat away. When I took breaks from WoW, it wasn't the game I missed as much as the people I've grown to love. Same with CoH after I quit. Actually there are people in my WoW guild now that I knew from CoH which makes it even better.

Dunno what I'm gonna do when I finally quit WoW altogether ... I just don't enjoy consoles much and single-player games don't catch my attention like they used to. I'm going to be a computer geek one way or the other for the rest of my life, that's for sure. Some things cannot be helped.

Quote Originally Posted by cnw View Post
    well, when we turned our life over to Christ we quit gaming with Dand D type games. We love games like Civ IV, Mech Warrior, Age of Empires, and there are several war games that we play that are WWII stuff.
    much of the role playing games are geared towards creating your own religion and even in fantasy that is against God's standards of walking with him. After I read that was one of the main goals of the game in the headmasters books I was pretty much done.
    What computer games do you like? if any?
    We loved to paint lead figures. Have you ever played flames of War? we have painted many a figure and sold em. right now we are into an old game called Pirates. very fun for the younger kids.
    Note that most of the role playing games I listed after D&D are not in a fantasy setting. However, I don't see any problem with using mythological or fictional religions in a story. We all know that the likes of Zeus and Thor are not real, and nobody worships them. But I've played in a couple fantasy campaigns that were based in a fairly realistic medieval Europe, and in which the clerics were Christian (!!). My favorite RP campaign settings are science-fiction, and don't involve any made-up gods or religions.

After my first paragraph, all the other games I mentioned are computer games. Aside from roleplaying, I like turn-based strategy, though I don't care for real-time strategy at all. And I like the occasional first-person shooter and combat flight sim.

I still play Civ 3, don't have Civ 4 yet. It is a great series.
    Last edited by Izdaari; May 6th 2009 at 10:50 AM.
    Man's ego is inflated, his laws are outdated, they don't apply no more
    You can't rely no more to be standing around waiting
    In the home of the brave, Jefferson turning over in his grave
    Fools glorifying themselves, trying to manipulate Satan
    And there's a slow, slow train coming up around the bend.

I'm a woman and I like to play computer games.
    Most of the games I like to play are Star Wars.

I'm a bit of "little kid" when it comes to gaming. I like PS and spent a whole weekend once playing Spyro (the little purple dragon). My favourite is Ratchet and Clank tho.

Blog Entries
    I like electronic board games/other games for the PC (puzzles, cards, sudoku, chess, literati, etc). I'm a fan of the Civ games, and have Civ2 right now. I also enjoy playing old Mario games, and other side-scrolling stuff on the PC. When I was younger I loved Atari games, and owned an old console that I eventually gave away when I really wasn't using it anymore. I also like text-based (ascii) adventure games where there are no graphics, so you have to use logic and a very limited, specific vocabulary to play through the game.... for example, 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.

I also enjoy playing Wii games, especially the Wii sports pack. It's fun. And when I was in my mid-teens, I went through a Final Fantasy phase that didn't last more than a year or so.

I don't tend to spend time playing games for very long when I do play them. They're a neat distraction for a little while, though.
    -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
    It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
    So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
    We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
    Warren Barfield

Thread Information