cure-real

Thread: Significance of touching the hem of His garment

Significance of touching the hem of His garment

I looked for this verse but couldn't find it. It is where a crowd surrounds Jesus and a woman touches the hem of his garment for healing. My question is why do you think she wanted to touch "the hem" of His garment.

Is this what you are looking for?

Mt 9:20 And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment:

Mt 14:36 And besought him that they might only touch the hem of his garment: and as many as touched were made perfectly whole.

Firstfruits

Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    Is this what you are looking for?

Mt 9:20 And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment:

Mt 14:36 And besought him that they might only touch the hem of his garment: and as many as touched were made perfectly whole.

Firstfruits
    yes, the Matt 9 one in particular. I've noticed "the hem of the garment" is in the OT alot too. So why is it important. I know there's a reason b/c everything in the Bible has a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    I looked for this verse but couldn't find it. It is where a crowd surrounds Jesus and a woman touches the hem of his garment for healing. My question is why do you think she wanted to touch "the hem" of His garment.
    It is written, "And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind HIM, and touched the hem of HIS garment: For she said within herself, If I may but touch HIS garment, I shall be whole. (Matthew 9:20-21)";

Because of her continual menstrual cycle, according to Mosaic Law, she was unclean and untouchable. . .neither should she touch anyone. But her discomfort had become so much so, that she reasoned that, although she might not be able to actually touch JESUS HIMSELF, to just touch the part of HIS garment ("the hem") farthest from HIM, would be enough to make her well.

Quote Originally Posted by THOM View Post
    It is written, "And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind HIM, and touched the hem of HIS garment: For she said within herself, If I may but touch HIS garment, I shall be whole. (Matthew 9:20-21)";

Because of her continual menstrual cycle, according to Mosaic Law, she was unclean and untouchable. . .neither should she touch anyone. But her discomfort had become so much so, that she reasoned that, although she might not be able to actually touch JESUS HIMSELF, to just touch the part of HIS garment ("the hem") farthest from HIM, would be enough to make her well.
    so she had faith the size of a mustard seed?

so she had faith the size of a mustard seed?
    No, she had qualitative faith, rather than quantitative. Faith is not about size, but about its object.

Quote Originally Posted by THOM View Post
    No, she had qualitative faith, rather than quantitative. Faith is not about size, but about its object.
    hmmmm. So you don't think there are degrees of faith?

catlover

The scriptures you refer to:
    Matt 9:20 And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment:

Mark 5:27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.

Luke 8:43-44 And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any, came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched.

I think there is significance in more than one way:

1. Women with "an issue with blood" were regarded as unclean - she was regarded as such for 12 years. Imagine the rejection experienced by her!

2. Her touching Jesus' hem would have rendered Him as "unclean" in terms of the Law, but Jesus' acceptance of her action shows how He carried the law in His heart.

3. Her FAITH in Him is what Jesus saw, and what saved her. His disciples wanted to block her, but He saw her heart and faith.

4. Jesus clothes us with himself quite similar to the garment He wore.

God bless!
    Anton
    השייך לאלוהים דרך ישו

The woman may have had some idea from 2 Kings 13:21; when the man touched Elisha's bones, he was revived.

There is virtue in every thing that belongs to Christ. The holy oil with which the high priest was anointed, "ran down to the skirts of his garments" (Ps 133:2). Such a fulness of grace is there in Christ, that from it we may all receive (Jn 1:16).
    "Unto you therefore which believe, He is precious" (1 Peter 2:7)

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.
    yes, the Matt 9 one in particular. I've noticed "the hem of the garment" is in the OT alot too. So why is it important. I know there's a reason b/c everything in the Bible has a reason.
    Everything in the Bible does not "have a reason" or some "spiritual significance."

Sometimes, it's just telling the story.

Partaker of Christ Guest
    Mark 5:30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?
    Mark 5:31 And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
    Mark 5:32 And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing.
    Mark 5:33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.
    Mark 5:34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

I agree with what has been said, but for me the marvel is, that there were a multitude of people pressing in on Him. Many had been near to Him, and many would have touched Him, but the woman touched Him with faith. He immediately felt that virtue had gone out of Him, and asked Who touched my clothes?

I also tend to believe that He knew who it was, even before He asked "Who touched me" Perhaps He wanted her to confess with her mouth.

I think she wanted to touch the hem of His garment because she wanted to touch the tzitzit hanging from it. Tzitzit are twisted threads hanging from men's garments:

Numbers 38-40

38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue:

39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them ; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring:

40 That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God.

Deuteronomy 22:12

12 Thou shalt make thee fringes upon the four quarters of thy vesture, wherewith thou coverest thyself.

I think her story is such a beautitful picture of her faith. I have a tzitzit hanging from my keychain. I hope no one would consider it blasphemous. My husband, a believing Jew, made it for me with love.

I agree with most views also. She was ceremonially unclean. And to touch him would be disaster to make him unclean, so she reached through the crowd and touched his garment instead of trying to touch Him.
    But, then and there it also proved that He was the Christ because every one of us were unclean and that he came to make us whole and clean. It is Christ who actually does the touching in our life. She did show faith though.

Thread Information