Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Veterans in distress

Hi

Hi you everyone, just came by to see what was what.
    I've had a better week, things at times make me want to scream, but that I am hoping, will change.
    saw the va the other week, the doc has me on some of the same meds as 1follower, I bet.
    I guess it helps, I've been praying a lot, asking the lord to calm me down and let me be normal. All this has been tough on my folks, my Mom worries all the time. I pretend to be better for her, when I'm there, I hate lying like that.
    Thanks i will see you all later!

Blog Entries
    I just want to thank all of you for your sacrifices that give me the freedoms I enjoy everyday in this free country, USA!!! I can never, ever thank you all enough. I pray each night that the Lord embrace and hold you in HIS mighty arms. That HE give you the strength to carry on in everyday life, of which many of you don't know how to live....since being in war!!! That HE show you how to communicate with your families. I am so sorry that our nation does NOT do more for our service men and women and their families. Just know, no matter what the pain or how severe, our God is a Mighty God, our God is a Loving God, our God is a Healing God, our God can fix Anything, our God is an Awesome God!!!! HE knows exactly what you are going through and wants you to cast ALL of it onto HIM. The Bible tells us this!!! I pray that you all will stay strong in the Lord, no matter what!!!! Cause sooner than we think, HE will be sending Michael or Gabriel to blow that trumpet and call us up!!!! Glory to God, what a wonderful day that will be.

Stay strong in the Lord and HE will keep you strong and will help you fight anything that you come against. As the Word says, "if God be for us, who can be against us?" Alleluia...Glory to God.

I honor you all!!!
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

My testimony: http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137007

Very Good to see you all!

Seek4u, I'm glad to hear your better news, I know you are having a time of it. I hope you will keep reaching out, there are many many many people who would be honored to be of any assistance to you. I for one!
    Keep up on yourself, Come back, we are praying for you.

His Princess, I am glad also to hear your good news, getting out does all good. I know you worry about his drug use, I too. With time and medical care and lots of PRAYER. He will see his way back. I am proud of you, many have walked away from our Veterans, as they come home, differant, from the people that they once knew, Tragic!
    He is blessed, to have your Love and care, I'm sure he knows that.

Living Waters.............................. AMEN!
    So good to have you here,
    Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life." John 8:12

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RevGwinn View Post
    Seek4u, I'm glad to hear your better news, I know you are having a time of it. I hope you will keep reaching out, there are many many many people who would be honored to be of any assistance to you. I for one!
    Keep up on yourself, Come back, we are praying for you.

His Princess, I am glad also to hear your good news, getting out does all good. I know you worry about his drug use, I too. With time and medical care and lots of PRAYER. He will see his way back. I am proud of you, many have walked away from our Veterans, as they come home, differant, from the people that they once knew, Tragic!
    He is blessed, to have your Love and care, I'm sure he knows that.

Living Waters.............................. AMEN!
    So good to have you here,
    Thanks so much, that means a lot. I think most people if they knew about him smoking weed would probably encourage me to break up with him. I knew about his habits before I got into a relationship with him. I try to not get into a mindset of "changing" him but letting God do the rest. He is a really good guy and I'm blessed to have him.
    "My DADDY is bigger than your problems!"

~Danielle~

Blog Entries
    Just a quick question...

My bf is a really laid back kind of guy, he's macho and pretends like nothing really bothers him. He's very very upbeat and perservering too. A lot of times though he acts like he has ADD or something...one minute were watching tv together and the next he gets up and wanders of to do something. It's like trying to keep up with someone who has the attention span of a five year old,lol. It's been frustrating sometimes. He also really likes to hang out with his buddies, esp the one he was in the Marines with. I think some things he does are out of immaturity because he doesnt wanna grow up yet and some things have other reasons. I'm just wondering if anyone else has those same attributes, I mean is it just his personality, just being a guy, or does the PTSD and brain injury have an effect on this?

~Danielle~

Arrow Ptsd

Good to hear from you, His Princess,
    I hear you!
    Here are some of the symptoms of PTSD.
    Now if you couple these with a head injury, and you have a person in a very fragile condition.

Symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
    There are a vast number of PTSD symptoms. Most of these symptoms are similar to certain mental ailments, and should not be confused. A physician trained in PTSD will be able to differentiate and make a proper diagnosis, so always be honest and precise in symptom description.

Following are some of the major symptoms of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

-- Exaggerated startle response
    -- Loss of memory (forgetfulness)
    -- Sleep disorders (nightmares and waking up suddenly during the night)
    -- Flashbacks / images of the traumatic incident that keeps coming back to haunt you
    -- Poor concentration
    -- Hypervigilance (very similar to, but not paranoia)
    -- Hypersensitivity
    -- Extreme irritability
    -- Anger over petty issues with violent outbursts
    -- Obsessiveness
    -- Extreme nervousness and anxiety
    -- Muscle aches and pains for no apparent reason
    -- Unexplained fear
    -- Low self-esteem
    -- Lack of confidence
    -- Experience a sudden numb feeling
    -- Avoiding anything that reminds you of the traumatic experience

Effects of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
    The effects of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is usually categorized as intrusion, avoidance, and hyperarousal.

PTSD is categorized as 'Intrusion' when the symptoms appear suddenly and happen when memories of a past traumatic incident keep coming back as flashbacks. These flashbacks could be induced by a variety of triggers such as smell, sight, or sound. Once the flashback is triggered it is almost impossible to stop because the incident seems real with all the emotions involved. Nightmares are a good example of this.

PTSD is categorized as 'Avoidance' when a PTSD sufferer consciously or unconsciously tries to prevent remembering anything related to the traumatic experience. This may involve avoiding those close to you, or those you work with, causing innumerable misery to yourself and those close to you. This could cause tiffs with family and friends, and also be the cause of serious issues such as divorce or career related. All this generally leads to extreme depression which is very difficult to get out of.

PTSD is categorized as 'Hyperarousal' when the symptoms are a result of stimulated nerves and hormones. You could experience severe insomnia, and not remember the entire traumatic experience. During this phase you will have very poor concentration and will get irritated easily. You will get angry over petty issues and have violent outbursts for no valid reason. You will also suffer from frequent startling responses which could be very embarrassing.

PTSD can be treated if you trust yourself with a good physician trained in PTSD treatment. If left untreated, PTSD could remain lifelong, damaging your relations with all around you and causing you innumerable ailments - both physical and mental.

I hope this will help you, I worry every day over our Veterans, so much damage, this injury if it were visible, like and open wound would have people running to help. This is a silent killer.

That is why we need to be on top of this, NOW
    I watched as a young man, our Veterans return home from Vietnam, to no assistance, and so many fell, from their invisible injuries
    Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life." John 8:12

Arrow Treatment, and the effects of PTSD on the family

http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/ncdo...fs_family.html

http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/ncdo...ntforptsd.html

I hope these will be of help to you, and all others who come this way.

I pray for all you, I wish you all peace.

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much Rev. This definitely helps me understand better what he might be experiencing. My prayers are with you all! God bless!

~Danielle~

Good to hear from you

His princess,
    I'm glad to hear, that you found something useful.
    These will be trying times for you both, be patient with, him and yourself.
    You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

I wish you peace
    Last edited by RevGwinn; Jun 20th 2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    I'm sooo frustrated!!! We had a big fight last weekend over something I think unrelated to the PTSD thing..but I'm not sure anymore. We made up..but things have been rather tense ever since...and I cant figure it out. He makes me feel like I am a major annoyance sometimes, he told me I was "too affectionate" one day. One day he got irritated with me when I was helping him clean HIS house and he made a comment about how "if this was the Marines such and such would be this way" I've gotten ticked off a few times and said "well I'M not one of your Marines! I'm your girl!! stop expecting me to do everything your way, when you want it, and everything you want to do!" We've gotten extremely frustrated with each other. He told me he feels like I'm "boring" sometimes...the thing is he is ALWAYS looking for an adrenaline rush, a new thrill...anything. We went to an amusment park this week and the roller coasters that freaked me out were like kiddie rides to him. I know that this is part of the PTSD, TBI deal...but when he starts attacking me personally...I dont know how to take it or what to do...I dont even know how much is something beyond control or how much is just his own attitude. He just left Friday to go to NY supposedly to hang out with some of his Marine buddies. He hadnt texted or called since he got there. I texted him this evening and he wouldnt talk..all his answers were either yup or ok. He comes back Tuesday and honestly I'm considering ending this if nothing changes. I love him, but sometimes I feel like all he cares about is himself. I just don't know what to do anymore....I feel like I dont really know him.....

~Danielle~

Hold on!

Hello, His Princess,
    I ran your post through a doctor, friend of mine, it is both of our opinions, that what is going on is exactly that, PTSD
    He is out of sorts with himself, so in that state he is out of sorts with everything and everybody.
    He is probably, ashamed at his outbursts and behavior, and cannot explain to himself, why he said what he said or did.

With all that he has been through, he is going to need, real help, lots of understanding, lots of love, and a solid faith.

I am sorry, that you have had to feel pain, be strong, for you and him.
    You both are in my thoughts and prayers, I wish you peace.

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much. I...we really need the prayers right now. He told me Monday over the phone that perhaps we should take a break because were "so different". Some of the reasons he gave were "he's seen a lot more, and I'm still young and I should enjoy my life...we fight a lot...etc,etc." I havent talked to him since that day. He texted me last night and said hi..and when I texted him "hey" back I never heard anything. I dont know what to do..dont know what is going on or anything. And I'm about to find out this coming Monday some news that could possible change both of our lives in a big way. I'm just heartbroken and exhausted, stressed out and I feel a little alone sometimes. Thanks for all your encouragement and prayers it means so much. Also..if this needs to be moved to another thread...plz let me know. I really dont want this to be about me and take away the focus from the vets and soldiers that really need your alls help. Thanks so much again.

~Danielle~

You are most welcome here

His Princess,.
    You both suffer, understand you are always welcome here, this is your place too.
    He seems to be trying to drive you away, to save you from him

You are part of the healing process, it will be painful.
    I am so sorry to hear that you have some distance between you.

I ask you to sit down, and pray, when you are at peace, write him a letter
    pour into it, all that you feel and fear, all you hope for, in a future with him.
    Let him know that, no matter what, you are there.

Take very good care of yourself, it is easy to let your needs go, in the care of another.

Be with others, seek comfort in your church, stay strong.

You may always write me, at u2pray4peace@yahoo.com
    The Lord is with you, we are with you, I am with you.

I will be praying for you, and your Veteran.

The Home of the Airborne and Special Operations Forces
    Quote Originally Posted by HISprincess90 View Post
    Just a quick question...

My bf is a really laid back kind of guy, he's macho and pretends like nothing really bothers him. He's very very upbeat and perservering too. A lot of times though he acts like he has ADD or something...one minute were watching tv together and the next he gets up and wanders of to do something. It's like trying to keep up with someone who has the attention span of a five year old,lol. It's been frustrating sometimes. He also really likes to hang out with his buddies, esp the one he was in the Marines with. I think some things he does are out of immaturity because he doesnt wanna grow up yet and some things have other reasons. I'm just wondering if anyone else has those same attributes, I mean is it just his personality, just being a guy, or does the PTSD and brain injury have an effect on this?
    Hanging out with his Marine friends and letting them all decompress together is pretty much the best thing for him. Counseling, medication, etc are all things that will treat the symptoms, but until he and his friends are able to collectively work through whatever it is that is bothering them, then it will always be there. You can't make him better, and he won't get better when you want him to; I know it sucks, but that's how it is.

THe weed isn't a good thing, nor is alcohol if they are both being used as avoidance tools.
    The minstrel boy to the war is gone,
    In the ranks of death ye will find him;
    His father's sword he hath girded on,
    And his wild harp slung behind him;
    "Land of Song!" said the warrior bard,
    "Tho' all the world betray thee,
    One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
    One faithful harp shall praise thee!

The Home of the Airborne and Special Operations Forces
    Quote Originally Posted by HISprincess90 View Post
    I'm sooo frustrated!!! We had a big fight last weekend over something I think unrelated to the PTSD thing..but I'm not sure anymore. We made up..but things have been rather tense ever since...and I cant figure it out. He makes me feel like I am a major annoyance sometimes, he told me I was "too affectionate" one day. One day he got irritated with me when I was helping him clean HIS house and he made a comment about how "if this was the Marines such and such would be this way" I've gotten ticked off a few times and said "well I'M not one of your Marines! I'm your girl!! stop expecting me to do everything your way, when you want it, and everything you want to do!" We've gotten extremely frustrated with each other. He told me he feels like I'm "boring" sometimes...the thing is he is ALWAYS looking for an adrenaline rush, a new thrill...anything. We went to an amusment park this week and the roller coasters that freaked me out were like kiddie rides to him. I know that this is part of the PTSD, TBI deal...but when he starts attacking me personally...I dont know how to take it or what to do...I dont even know how much is something beyond control or how much is just his own attitude. He just left Friday to go to NY supposedly to hang out with some of his Marine buddies. He hadnt texted or called since he got there. I texted him this evening and he wouldnt talk..all his answers were either yup or ok. He comes back Tuesday and honestly I'm considering ending this if nothing changes. I love him, but sometimes I feel like all he cares about is himself. I just don't know what to do anymore....I feel like I dont really know him.....
    PTSD is disconnection. Everything else, nightmares, hyper alert, blah blah blah are just symptoms and tools for completing that disconnection.

It's hard for me to explain, but my wife generally has the same complaints, but you have to look into the possibility that you might be too overbearing for what he can deal with. My wife tries to pressure me to "talk" and "open up" and uses little manipulation phrases like "If you loved me, you would be more emotional" I hope that isn't what you are doing. I don't know the situation enough to say anything.
    The minstrel boy to the war is gone,
    In the ranks of death ye will find him;
    His father's sword he hath girded on,
    And his wild harp slung behind him;
    "Land of Song!" said the warrior bard,
    "Tho' all the world betray thee,
    One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
    One faithful harp shall praise thee!

Thread Information