cure-real
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The commericals for the movie, drag me to hell...

call your TV provider and complain. A year ago I found a growing number of adult bar themed adds showing up during football games that used to be considered a family time. This past year they were nowhere to be found.

Speak up and be heard!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I just had cable hooked up. Before it was just me and my dvd. I'm thinking the cable might have been a mistake. So many rotten (and repeat) shows on, it's hardly worth turning on the television. Now if I do turn it on, I'm usually busy doing something else, and I end up just putting it on mute.
    I realize there are alot of bad channels on TV, but I really enjoy the history channel, discovery channel..health channel and a few other regular shows too. My son watches the Disney channel, and nick and we also like Animal Planet. I like the movie channels too...but again of course a person has to be careful with what kinds of movies to watch. I am not positive but I think they are airing this ad on even the major news channels like CNN and FOX news..
    Veretax call your TV provider and complain. A year ago I found a growing number of adult bar themed adds showing up during football games that used to be considered a family time. This past year they were nowhere to be found.

Speak up and be heard!
    Well that is what I am trying to do! Speak up and be heard! Its just finding the place to do that that I am having problems with...

I just emailed my local news station...which actually isn't local...(not in the same town) but considered our local news. They check into things people ask about so we will see if they have an idea about this...

Meanwhile I will not see if Cox Cable has a place to go complain about..

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

I agree. I saw that commercial and I can see how it could scare a little kid out of his or her mind. That's terrible that it would actually get in the way of prayer! =( Sorry, I don't know how to help you, I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one who is irked by this.
    "God created mankind and men created the gods. This is how it is in the worldó
    the men create gods and they worship their creations. It would have been more
    appropriate for the gods to worship mankind!"
    --Gospel of Philip 92 (Author Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GreekAsianPanda View Post
    I agree. I saw that commercial and I can see how it could scare a little kid out of his or her mind. That's terrible that it would actually get in the way of prayer! =( Sorry, I don't know how to help you, I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one who is irked by this.
    Oh satan will use anything to disrupt our talking with God you know..

The really strange this is I was also having a conversation with Him last night and I also started getting images in my mind that were pretty awful and totally took me off course too. Right now I can't think of what it was about as I was pretty sleepy but I clearly remember thinking to myself, where in the world did this come from? How did I get from this train of thought to that? I sure wish I could remember more..while I talk to God all throughout the day, I also talk to Him at bedtime and its not uncommon for me to fall asleep in this state and sometimes things continue on in my dreams. (that is why I said I was so sleepy..hope that made sense.) But yea for my son this isn't a little fear..its a big one due to his many, many years of dealing with horrible nightmares ...these commercials just trigger the memory of those.

Anyway I looked at Cox cable's site and I don't see anywhere I can complain about this sort of thing on there. I really don't think they can do much...all they do is provide the stations and have no control over what is aired. So I don't know what else to do.
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    Oh satan will use anything to disrupt our talking with God you know..

The really strange this is I was also having a conversation with Him last night and I also started getting images in my mind that were pretty awful and totally took me off course too. Right now I can't think of what it was about as I was pretty sleepy but I clearly remember thinking to myself, where in the world did this come from? How did I get from this train of thought to that? I sure wish I could remember more..while I talk to God all throughout the day, I also talk to Him at bedtime and its not uncommon for me to fall asleep in this state and sometimes things continue on in my dreams. (that is why I said I was so sleepy..hope that made sense.) But yea for my son this isn't a little fear..its a big one due to his many, many years of dealing with horrible nightmares ...these commercials just trigger the memory of those.

Anyway I looked at Cox cable's site and I don't see anywhere I can complain about this sort of thing on there. I really don't think they can do much...all they do is provide the stations and have no control over what is aired. So I don't know what else to do.
    Try looking them up on the internet. If they're there, then they will have contact information listed, usually including an e-mail address. See if that works.
    I trust in Your word. For Your word has given me life.
    Psalm 119: 42,50

I'm not really sure what there is to complain about. Unless the trailers (which I have not seen) violate some standard of decency (and as they advertise a PG-13 film, I very much doubt that that is the case), the station is perfectly within their rights to air it. It's not like they're doing anything wrong, and it's certainly not illegal. Not everything on television can be made acceptable for all children everwhere, because television is not a medium designed for or that caters to children (indeed, censors tend towards prudishness rather than the opposite). While that may not be an ideal situation, it's not really anyone's fault either.

(Regarding the movie itself: I usually do not see horror films, not because they are intrinsically "bad" or "evil" but because I have the constitution of a nine-year-old girl and am frightened with ridiculous ease. I do love Sam Raimi, though, so we'll see.)

(Also, I always see complaints about movie trailers or advertisements or other marketing strategies that are along the lines of "They just put these out to make money for the studio." Um...yes. Since when has that been a wrong or bad thing? We live in a capitalistic society, after all, and a movie executive needs to turn a profit as much as the next businessman. I don't see why wanting people to buy what you are selling makes you some kind of dead-eyed Hollywood plutocrat who basically forces the American populace to see his films at psychological gunpoint while rolling in his pile of ill-gotten money. Of course, there are filmmakers who are soulless hacks and seem to only care about the paycheck, but there are countless big-studio filmmakers (the Pixar people, Chris Nolan, Ridley Scott sometimes, Tim Burton, Steven Spielberg, Sam Raimi himself, etc.) who are passionate and hardworking and produce great films. Should they not be advertised for?)
    "We are symbols and inhabit symbols; workmen, work, and tools, words and things, birth and death, all are emblems; but we sympathize with the symbols, and being infatuated with the economical uses of things, we do not know that they are thoughts." - Emerson, "The Poet" (Essays, Second Series)

honestly, I'd call them, not email them. Email is too easy to ignore. And yes they may ignore your complaint, but if you lodge a complete I do believe the FCC has some regulatory power here (not on all cable channels sadly), but usually the local cable company gets some slice of the ads they actually show. Food for thought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke34 View Post
    I'm not really sure what there is to complain about. Unless the trailers (which I have not seen) violate some standard of decency (and as they advertise a PG-13 film, I very much doubt that that is the case), the station is perfectly within their rights to air it. It's not like they're doing anything wrong, and it's certainly not illegal. Not everything on television can be made acceptable for all children everwhere, because television is not a medium designed for or that caters to children (indeed, censors tend towards prudishness rather than the opposite). While that may not be an ideal situation, it's not really anyone's fault either.

(Regarding the movie itself: I usually do not see horror films, not because they are intrinsically "bad" or "evil" but because I have the constitution of a nine-year-old girl and am frightened with ridiculous ease. I do love Sam Raimi, though, so we'll see.)

(Also, I always see complaints about movie trailers or advertisements or other marketing strategies that are along the lines of "They just put these out to make money for the studio." Um...yes. Since when has that been a wrong or bad thing? We live in a capitalistic society, after all, and a movie executive needs to turn a profit as much as the next businessman. I don't see why wanting people to buy what you are selling makes you some kind of dead-eyed Hollywood plutocrat who basically forces the American populace to see his films at psychological gunpoint while rolling in his pile of ill-gotten money. Of course, there are filmmakers who are soulless hacks and seem to only care about the paycheck, but there are countless big-studio filmmakers (the Pixar people, Chris Nolan, Ridley Scott sometimes, Tim Burton, Steven Spielberg, Sam Raimi himself, etc.) who are passionate and hardworking and produce great films. Should they not be advertised for?)
    I think you need to re-read my post...not once did I complain they were "They just put these out to make money for the studio."..I am not stupid..I realize that. That isn't my complaint at all.

The ads are terrifying. As a 48 year old that used to love horror films...this even repulses me...

I am also a big fan of spiderman and truly disappointed he would make something that dives directly into the occult like this...

I also realize not everything can be geared for children but if they had any sense they would realize the parents of these children will be so angered by these ads...even if they might have wanted to see it...they wouldn't because of their child's reaction to the ads. Some ads kill the sale in other words.
    And that they need to consider..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Veretax View Post
    honestly, I'd call them, not email them. Email is too easy to ignore. And yes they may ignore your complaint, but if you lodge a complete I do believe the FCC has some regulatory power here (not on all cable channels sadly), but usually the local cable company gets some slice of the ads they actually show. Food for thought.
    Ok I will see what I can find out...thanks! This is far from airing on the side of prudish for sure

What do you think we had a problem with? A documentary on the making of the exorcist! I was watching it, and our son had silently entered the room and took all this in like a sponge...the next thing we know he is afraid to go to bed, crying, holding a cross to his chest...we don't know how long he suffered with this, but it was so sad to see him in such fear just because of a silly program that we watched. You just don't know...!!!

I think you need to re-read my post...not once did I complain they were "They just put these out to make money for the studio."..I am not stupid..I realize that. That isn't my complaint at all.
    That part of my post wasn't addressed to you; there was someone else in the thread that made a comment along those lines. I forget who.

The ads are terrifying. As a 48 year old that used to love horror films...this even repulses me...
    I haven't seen them and, again, the nine-year-old girl thing, so I can't comment. Keep in mind, though, that the film isn't supposed to be deeply or truly terrifying along the lines of The Exorcist or The Shining or whatever, it's a deliberately over-the-top film that's supposed to make you scared, but in a "fun" way that doesn't really affect you (along the lines of Raimi's own Evil Dead films, which are much more violent than Drag Me to Hell).

I am also a big fan of spiderman and truly disappointed he would make something that dives directly into the occult like this...
    As I briefly just mentioned, over-the-top, ridiculous horror is rather a return to form for Mr. Raimi, who was primarily known for the two Evil Deads and Army of Darkness before he was given the Spider-Man franchise.

I also realize not everything can be geared for children but if they had any sense they would realize the parents of these children will be so angered by these ads...even if they might have wanted to see it...they wouldn't because of their child's reaction to the ads. Some ads kill the sale in other words.
    And that they need to consider..
    But the parents' anger would, presumably, be fueled by some kind of notion that the ads were not fit to show on television? So either the ads are so offensive (that's offensive, as in overly graphic or violent, not terrifying. Television and the FCC give you no guarantee against being frightened) that they are too much for even an adult sensibility, or else television as a medium is not the place for things that might frighten children. The second is not true, since pretty much anything can frighten a child. The first may or may not be true; however, I cannot imagine the rather draconian FCC permitting anything overly graphic or inappropriate to air.
    "We are symbols and inhabit symbols; workmen, work, and tools, words and things, birth and death, all are emblems; but we sympathize with the symbols, and being infatuated with the economical uses of things, we do not know that they are thoughts." - Emerson, "The Poet" (Essays, Second Series)

Learning submission to His will... again!
    i hate this commercial as well as the one for "male enhancement" that they play on virtually every station. oh jeez i can't stand those! there was a quizno's commercial for thier new torpedo sandwich that was REALLY bad initially- i only saw it two or three times then it was cleaned up......
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
    Proverbs 3:5

My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgements come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.
    Isaiah 26:9

The only way to really avoid it is to mute the tv when the adverts come on. I don't think a complaint would really help, maybe worth a try but even if anything was done, in a few months time there will be a different movie and the dvd trailer for this one..
    I generally prefer watching tv that way anyway, you can always turn the sound back on if there's something you want to see.
    "The beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke34 View Post
    That part of my post wasn't addressed to you; there was someone else in the thread that made a comment along those lines. I forget who.

I haven't seen them and, again, the nine-year-old girl thing, so I can't comment. Keep in mind, though, that the film isn't supposed to be deeply or truly terrifying along the lines of The Exorcist or The Shining or whatever, it's a deliberately over-the-top film that's supposed to make you scared, but in a "fun" way that doesn't really affect you (along the lines of Raimi's own Evil Dead films, which are much more violent than Drag Me to Hell).

As I briefly just mentioned, over-the-top, ridiculous horror is rather a return to form for Mr. Raimi, who was primarily known for the two Evil Deads and Army of Darkness before he was given the Spider-Man franchise.

But the parents' anger would, presumably, be fueled by some kind of notion that the ads were not fit to show on television? So either the ads are so offensive (that's offensive, as in overly graphic or violent, not terrifying. Television and the FCC give you no guarantee against being frightened) that they are too much for even an adult sensibility, or else television as a medium is not the place for things that might frighten children. The second is not true, since pretty much anything can frighten a child. The first may or may not be true; however, I cannot imagine the rather draconian FCC permitting anything overly graphic or inappropriate to air.
    Luke you really need to see the ads so you understand what I am talking about. Standards have changed...what used to not be allowed at all on TV..including ads, certainly is now. This is as bad as the The Exorcist and The shinning actually, both of which I have seen the full movies. They show some old scary horrible looking lady that make you think of a witch that looks as bad as the girl in the Exorcist, dragging off this young lady screaming into darkness and a bug type thing crawling up her nose that 'invades' her. And other special effects that are terrifying...it really is. Also shows this girl and others involved in a seance..which is occult stuff. Showing people turning their faces upwards, opening their mouths and black smoke comes pouring out of them. Other things involved..fortune teller, a Gypsy woman that places a curse on this lady, the silhouette of a goat's head (in the old satan type films a goat's head represented satan.) You can read about the story here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_Me_to_Hell
    Either you have to take my word on it or watch the ads yourself.

I don't know if you have children or not, but its simply not true that almost anything scares them...far from it. Unless the child has suffered from some kind of an emotional trauma, they shouldn't be scared of everything by any means. These ads really were to the extreme. If this had come out 5, 10 years ago it would have been rated X due to its graphic content. Many movies that make it to PG13 should really be R rated, but the standards keep getting looser and looser...a movie doesn't have to have alot of actually bloody killing in it to be scary. Only one person died in the first Exorcist movie. Now young teenagers watch that movie and it barely rates up their with what is considered a scary horror movie anymore. Considering what they see now..its not that big of a deal..

Standards have changed so much that even on TV for instance...when I was a kid, there was no cussing on TV...and they never showed a couple in bed together unless it was a porn movie which wasn't on TV anyway. If you notice all the shows of I love Lucy, when they shown her and her husband in the bedroom they had seperate single beds apart from each other. It would have been a scandle to show them in the same bed even if they were fully dressed! Now soap operas are what many consider soft porn....

Anyway I haven't see the ads lately...I think this movie was suppose to come out last weekend though I am not positive on that. I sure hope they they gone off the TV now!

God bless

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tayariswife View Post
    i hate this commercial as well as the one for "male enhancement" that they play on virtually every station. oh jeez i can't stand those! there was a quizno's commercial for thier new torpedo sandwich that was REALLY bad initially- i only saw it two or three times then it was cleaned up......
    Yea I saw that ad.. It takes one sick mind in the gutter to turn a food ad into something sexual...barf...sure doesn't make you want to go get this to eat!

Thread Information