cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Does God choose your spouse?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    51

    Does God choose your spouse?

    I would just like to hear your thoughts on the topic of choosing a spouse.

    I have always thought that God does not get involved in our choice of spouse. That is, if there is a choice of two Christian spouses, God will not assist in choosing one.

    There is also the view that God has preordained one spouse.

    Having said the above, I have had experience in the past, where I did not have peace about a potential spouse. I believe my peace comes from God and therefore, God was involved in my choice.

    Also, apart from the above discussion, can you answer this question (and provide scripture if available): can you go against Godís will when you marry your (chosen) spouse?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,301
    Does God choose your spouse?
    Depends on if you choose or let God choose, doesn't it? I didn't 'look' for a wife, only praying for 3 years. When I was ready God put her in my life and made it obvious just as I asked. I could have looked and chosen anyone up until then but God knows best right, so I left it to Him.
    I'll refrain from commenting on the preordain thing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    the sweetest place on earth
    Posts
    6,385

    Oh boy

    If marriage is a serious matter I should think that those considering it would seek Gods counsel. If you have not it is because you ask amiss. God who knows the very number of hairs on your head probably is interested in you enough to help you select a mate that will glorify Him.

    For the cause of Christ.
    Roger

  4. #4
    Yes and no.

    There isn't 'the one' for you like most would fantasize. Because, if there was 'only one' for you, then if one person messed up, then the entire fabric of which that philosophy rested would lay in utter ruin.

    However, there are many cases where God gives 'divine' hints in regards of a suitable partner. Humans still have choices - we aren't robots.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    2,045
    Q. Who joins the two in marriage?

    A.
    What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

    (Mar 10:9)

    I can hear the prayers now, " Oh God, pleeze don't join that louse to me, yeech."
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

  6. #6
    I think if you listen to Him, He will pick the right person for you. Be forewarned - if you don't listen to Him, you still have to be with the person you chose.

    Anecdotally speaking, though I'm not married yet, the woman He brought into my life He had to choose for me. She fits perfectly when I highly doubt that anyone else could.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Bahamas
    Posts
    2,430
    I say NO. If God did the choosing, why would there be so many lousy marriages? Nothing wrong with seeking Gods counsel. You do that by His Word. To think He is some kinda of heavenly match maker...no, absolutely not! Also, I would like to add that the concept of "soul mate" is modern day pop psychology bunk!

    all the best...

  8. #8
    *Hope* Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I say NO. If God did the choosing, why would there be so many lousy marriages?
    Perhaps because so few actually listen to Him?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northeast Louisiana
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by crossnote View Post
    Q. Who joins the two in marriage?

    A.
    What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

    (Mar 10:9)

    I can hear the prayers now, " Oh God, pleeze don't join that louse to me, yeech."
    Now that last statement was funny, I don't care who you are.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    36
    i would say no as in there isnt one specific soul mate or how ever you say this. i think we have a choice in it but we can be lead by God in it. God has a perfect will for everything

    the reason i say we have somewhat of a choice in it is because of what paul said.

    this isnt the exact words but its the just of it. paul said we would be better off to do as he did and not marry.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Toledo, Oregon
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I say NO. If God did the choosing, why would there be so many lousy marriages? Nothing wrong with seeking Gods counsel. You do that by His Word. To think He is some kinda of heavenly match maker...no, absolutely not! Also, I would like to add that the concept of "soul mate" is modern day pop psychology bunk!

    all the best...
    The reason the divorce rate is as high in the Christian community as in the rest of our society is because many Christians run to the altar and ask God to bless THEIR choice rather than seeking God's guidance BEFORE going to the altar. Yes, God will give you a spouse if He wants you to marry and yes I believe a couple can marry outside God's will. Remember, "What GOD has joined together....".
    In Him,
    Bob Allen

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by *Hope* View Post
    Perhaps because so few actually listen to Him?

    . God is concerned with every detail of our lives! In my experience the difference between my choice and God's is the difference between "good" and "best." Why wouldn't I want Him to give me His best as far as husbands go?

    What I will say is that when you let the Lord choose your spouse, He's liable to join you to someone you'd never imagine choosing for yourself.

    We have, I think, our own preconceived notions of the type of person we think would be best for us. Our ideas are based on our own background and experiences - education level, social or economic status, etc.

    God is not limited by our notions. As with anything else, His choice of mate for us may not line up with societal expectations. If we let Him do the choosing, we must be willing to step outside the box, so to speak.
    Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain. Philippians 2:16

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Bahamas
    Posts
    2,430
    Just curious...How exactly does God choose a spouse? Does He draw the right person out of a line-up or something? not trying to be funny. I just don't get it.

    all the best...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    H-town, Texas
    Posts
    1,432
    Most of the time, no, but He wants to...........
    Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

    www.woc-church.org

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Surrounded by fresh water
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by TrophyofGrace View Post
    . God is concerned with every detail of our lives! In my experience the difference between my choice and God's is the difference between "good" and "best." Why wouldn't I want Him to give me His best as far as husbands go?.
    I'm wondering; what might be the difference between a "good" and "best" spouse? Is the "best" the one you think brings you more happiness than another might have? If not, then what?

    Say, a person married young, the first one that came along, now they're not happy and things are a mess. They think "I picked a dud. I should have listened to God more closely and gotten his best." That would be a dangerous thought. Wouldn't the one they're married to, whoever they are, be God's "best" for them, whether they're happy or not?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Forgiving your spouse
    By mrsparks in forum Women at the well
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Dec 17th 2008, 08:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •