cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Jesus an Arab?

Was Jesus an Arab?

All the carvings and pictures I have seen of Jesus depict him as a white man with long brown hair. Based on the part of the world he was born in, wouldn't it make more sense that he had dark skin and black hair? Maybe it's trivial, but it seems to me that if he's gonna come back people should know what he's gonna look like.

Blog Entries
    I'm not too worried about it.
    As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Blog Entries
    I doubt the colour of Jesus' skin is going to confuse people when He comes back. However yes, He would have been middle-eastern in complexion.

Quote Originally Posted by schtoole View Post
    All the carvings and pictures I have seen of Jesus depict him as a white man with long brown hair. Based on the part of the world he was born in, wouldn't it make more sense that he had dark skin and black hair? Maybe it's trivial, but it seems to me that if he's gonna come back people should know what he's gonna look like.
    Jesus most definitely was not an Arab.

Blog Entries
    ... The idea of Jesus being a Arab is one that indicates a lack of study. Jesus was born a descendant of King David through His mother, Mary. The idea of Jesus being fair skinned and having light hair is vanity in it's purest form. The idea that men make statues and paint paintings of what they wish Jesus to look like is sin. (See the second commandment.)
    ... As for recognizing our LORD when He returns, do you honestly believe that anyone could fail to recognize God?

Given His description in the second coming, I'd say He's gonna be pretty hard to miss.
    Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

All the carvings and pictures I have seen of Jesus depict him as a white man with long brown hair.
    Why would you think he was an Arab because he had white skin and brown hair ?

DanM

Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day with a Brit Milah (thats what the Jews call it). Arabs are not circumcised usually. Also the arabs of today dont look like the arabs back then, and He did descend from Abraham so its hard to say what He actually did look like.

When Jesus was born, the land was known as "Judea" which is why they were called Jews. I don't think the term "Arab" had even been invented back then, though I'm no historian so don't quote me on that.

One thing we know for sure, He died to save all of mankind from all ages past, present and future, including the Arabs, and when He returns no one will have any trouble recognizing Him, He'll be the one with the title "KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS" written on His thigh.(Revelation 19:16) .
    Give my good Reps to Him, Tell Him about my bad ones!

Blog Entries
    The cross has no color and it is on level ground.
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5

schtoole posted in message #1 of this thread:

Was Jesus an Arab?
    Greetings.

The Bible says that Jesus is a Jew (John 4:9,22), physically
    descended from King David (Romans 1:3).

schtoole posted in message #1 of this thread:

Maybe it's trivial, but it seems to me that if he's gonna come back
    people should know what he's gonna look like.
    Jesus has entered into a glorified state, the appearance of which is
    described in Revelation 1:14-15. When Jesus comes back, he will
    descend from heaven (1 Thessalonians 4:16) on a white horse and
    wage war against the whole non-Christian world (Revelation 19:11-21).

There are lots of non-Western-looking depictions of Jesus, as there should be!

Hi schtoole!
    Welcome to Bibleforums!
    It's great to have you here!!!
    And thanks for your good question!
    All the carvings and pictures I have seen of Jesus depict him as a white man with long brown hair. Based on the part of the world he was born in, wouldn't it make more sense that he had dark skin and black hair?
    Jesus is (so the Christian religion holds) the universal human being: just as all of us form one human family which originally fell away from God -- that is, to use the language the Bible uses, all of us sinned in Adam's sin -- so likewise Christ has become a human being for all of us, to save us from our sin.
    For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. ...

Since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
    (I Corinthians 15, various verses
    Christ is "the Word made flesh" (John 1:14), that is "God with us" -- God the Son come to be with us in human form as "God with us" (Matt. 1:23), so that "all who believe in Him may have everlasting life." For "God sent the Son into the world not to condemn the world, but that through Him the world might be saved" (John 3:16-17). And thus Jesus says "When I have been lifted up I will draw all people to myself" (John 12:32).

In all these senses, Jesus is the universal human being, and is for all of us. He (being God) identifies with us in all our troubles and weakness, and takes our own failings upon Himself. Thus it is natural that those who believe in Him should understand him in terms of their own life circumstances, and depict him that way.

Christianity is not a European religion. It began in the Middle East, and spread rapidly to Syria and Georgia, to North Africa and Ethiopia, throughout the Mediterranean, and even to India. Today, the majority of Christians live in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, where the church has spread rapidly among people particularly in the last half century, although its roots there are much older.

There are various historic representations of Jesus as more middle Eastern, or non-white, including traditional Ethiopian Icons, and other Eastern Icons. However, it is somewhat understandable that Europeans, not having (in past ages) much ethnographic information, depicted Jesus in terms of the people they knew. Since much of our artistic tradition is European, that means that many depictions of Jesus familiar to you are European-looking.

However, there are many non-Western Christian artist today. There are truly wonderful depictions of Jesus and his life which were done by and for the Mafa people of West Africa. These may be viewed at Jesusmafa.com. There is an important website of the Asian Christian Art Association which has many excellent Chinese, Indonesian, Indian, and other depictions of Jesus, including paintings by the Palestinian artist Zaki Baboun. There are many prints of Jesus' life (and other Biblical scenes) -- more abstract in their depictions -- by the (late) Japanese artist Sadao Watanabe (not to be confused with the rock star by that name). There are also Latin American depictions, and others which depict Jesus as a tan-colored person of no particular ethnicity. I can't find the urls just now -- this is a very busy period for me -- but if you request them, I can in a few days, or a week.

Blessings upon you!!

In friendship,
    Scruffy Kid

What colour were the Jews in the time of Christ! Answer--All colours. Judaism was always a religion not a race as we understand it. Witness the different tongues at Pentecost, there were Jews from all nations at Pentecost, much like present day Israel where you have Black Jews from Ethiopia, Brown Jews from India, Yemen and North Africa, Yellow Jews from China and White Jews from Europe. What colour was the Lord Jesus? It is impossible to say!

I think I know the question you are asking and there has been other threads on this same issue.

To the answer to your question: Was Jesus an Arab? No.

From the way I understand it, the Arabs are descendants of Ismael(son of Abraham & Hagar) while the Jewish people are desendants of Isaac(son of Abraham and Sarah). Mary, Jesus' biological mother was a desendant of Isaac.

Was Jesus this blonde haired blue-eyed guy with movie star looks, as depicted in the early movies? No.

The scriptural evidence suggests that Jesus was just a common looking Jewish man of the first century. Read the account of Jesus' betrayal given in Mark 14: 43-44:
    43)Immediately while He was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, came up accompanied by a crowd with swords and clubs, who were from the chief priests and the scribes and the elders.
    44Now he who was betraying Him had given them a signal, saying, "Whomever I kiss, He is the one; seize Him and lead Him away under guard."

This passage suggests that Judas had to single Jesus out because he looked similar to the rest of the apostles.

Most likely Jesus was around 5' and 120 lbs. It is probable that Jesus was not the effiment looking figure you see in many western paintings. Being a carpenter, He was a man tough as nails(no pun intended). They didn't have air hammers, skill-saws and all the other modern equipment used in construction today. Everything had to be built using hand saws, wooden mallets, and lots of elbow grease. So Jesus was one tough dude.

Several years ago, Popular Mechanics commisioned a fascinating forenic study of skulls of 1st century Jewish men to get a computer generated depiction of what Jesus MAY have looked like.

Reconstructing Jesus
    Matthew's description of the events in Gethsemane offers an obvious clue to the face of Jesus. It is clear that his features were typical of Galilean Semites of his era. And so the first step for Neave and his research team was to acquire skulls from near Jerusalem, the region where Jesus lived and preached. Semite skulls of this type had previously been found by Israeli archeology experts, who shared them with Neave.

With three well-preserved specimens from the time of Jesus in hand, Neave used computerized tomography to create X-ray "slices" of the skulls, thus revealing minute details about each one's structure. Special computer programs then evaluated reams of information about known measurements of the thickness of soft tissue at key areas on human faces. This made it possible to re-create the muscles and skin overlying a representative Semite skull.
    The entire process was accomplished using software that verified the results with anthropological data. From this data, the researchers built a digital 3D reconstruction of the face. Next, they created a cast of the skull. Layers of clay matching the thickness of facial tissues specified by the computer program were then applied, along with simulated skin. The nose, lips and eyelids were then modeled to follow the shape determined by the underlying muscles.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...h/1282186.html

From this article, we may an actual example of what Jesus looked like during his time on Earth. Pretty interesting stuff.

Interesting, being born in israel, would lead others to think the same. thanks for clearing it up.

Thread Information