cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doves' Eyes

Doves' Eyes

Song of Solomon 1:15 "Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes."

A dove's eyes are set so that they can only look in one direction at a time. They are not easily distracted. This characteristic is attributed to the bride of Christ. She too is continually and steadfastly tending to Jesus, no matter what distractions and "other lovers" may come her way. She simply cannot look away.

These "eyes" are in sharp contrast to "a high look" (Ps 101:5), an "evil eye" (Matt 20:15), and "eyes full of adultery" (2 Pet 2:14).

I believe this is what Proverbs 31 means when it says, "Who can find a virtous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil" (vs. 10-11).

Most people limit this passage to refer to a man's natural wife. While this of course is true, it can speak on a deeper level too. The Proverbs 31 woman is symbolic of the bride of Christ; the wife of the Lamb whose character is exemplary. Another translation renders verse 11 as:

"Her husband depends on her, and she never lets him down." (CEV)

There is no fear of unfaithfulness; she is 100% given over! God's heart has been made vulnerable to her, and trust has been proven. She indeed has doves' eyes!
    May the Lord delicately work this attribute into all of our lives.
    "Unto you therefore which believe, He is precious" (1 Peter 2:7)

Blog Entries
    Can I use this in the book I am writing?

I mean, really....

Do you have anymore info. on the dove?

Blog Entries
    Excellent Z_alan.

Let your eye be single," that your "whole body may be full of light! (Lk. 11:34)

Focus on one thing and one thing only.
    It should be noted that this is the vehicle the Lord chose to send down at Jesus Baptism. The Bird of Love. I don't want to spiritualize everything or see what is not there, but surely God's focus was single also. He see his son taken down and raised up with the spirit and then the God who speaks....speaks.

Thank you for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by ConqueredbyLove View Post
    Can I use this in the book I am writing?

I mean, really....

Do you have anymore info. on the dove?
    hi, I would be honored for you to use this post in any way you see fit. What kind of info are you looking for?
    God bless you.

Blog Entries
    Careful. Doves see a remarkable 300 degrees. They can see almost all the way around themselves without moving their head.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

I suppose it depends on the species being considered.
    Song of Solomon 5:12. The dove's eye is in contrast to an eagle's peircing eye, which is always on its prey. The dove's eyes are "fitly set".

Another interesting characteristic about doves is that they mate for life. In this sense too, they are not easily distracted. They look only to their mate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by z alan bridges View Post
    hi, I would be honored for you to use this post in any way you see fit. What kind of info are you looking for?
    God bless you.
    Anything Is it true a dove does not have a gall bladder as I have heard?

Quote Originally Posted by ConqueredbyLove View Post
    Anything Is it true a dove does not have a gall bladder as I have heard?
    I'm not sure. A gallbladder stores and secretes bile right?

Hmm. Its been scientifically proven that doves only have peripheral eye sight.

This makes a spin on this verse, no?

Blog Entries
    Please be reminded that this is a no-debate forum. The actual anatomical correctness of the scripture is really not up for debate in this thread.
    You can certainly start a thread in Bible chat if you wish, debating whether Doves see well.
    Please keep your comments restricted to the OP.

Thank you.
    Have a blessed day

tt1106

Hi everyone, I re-read the information I have on doves and noticed a mistake. When I spoke earlier of how a dove can only see straight forward, I misinterpreted that to mean literally. However, the context of the reference was in relation to the dove and it's mate - they mate for life. In this sense, they have a "single eye", which is what the reference was trying to get across. Nonetheless, from my OP, this characteristic is attributed to the bride of Christ. Her eyes are fitly set on Jesus. Song 4:9 says, "Thou hast ravished my heart, my sister, my spouse; thou hast ravished my heart with one of thine eyes..."
    It's not that a dove physically cannot see peripherally, but rather, it chooses to behold it's mate, relationally, neglecting other lovers. That, IMO, is far more noble than not being able to physically see well anyway. Sorry for the confusion.
    God bless.

hello again,
    I searched for something about a dove's natural eyesight and found that a dove cannot focus on more than one thing at a time. It can see perfectly fine, but its focus is limited. Interesting .

Ps 27:4 "One thing have desired of the Lord, and that will I seek after..."
    Lk 10:42 "One thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part..."

Blog Entries
    LOL......................................When the OP starts debating himself, you know you're in trouble. (in jest)
    Blessings Z_alan_bridges.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by z alan bridges View Post
    I'm not sure. A gallbladder stores and secretes bile right?
    Yes...It holds bitter things. The Holy Spirit, which is often represented as a dove, has no bitterness....

That is why I brought that up...

Blog Entries
    Depends what kind of dove. Many doves, like most birds, have no gall bladder although hydroxychenodeoxycholic acid, taurine and other bile related chemicals are often still found in the birds without a gall bladder.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Thread Information